• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

BadAss2961

I don't think the combat in this game is very fun. The rage meter just isn't a good idea. I liked GoW combat when it was press a few buttons -> awesome happens. Now I am playing so conservatively so I don't lose my rage...square square triangle roll square square triangle roll. Aggressive gangbang enemies are hitting me often and I am stuck to like a three move combo. I've never felt more limited. I don't like this.
You've gotta get the hang of launching enemies airborne and juggling them with the attacks where you hold triangle or square. For heavy enemies that can't be launched, double jump and catch them with those attacks... I was just tearing it up and filling my rage meter repeatedly once I started isolating enemies in the air so the ones on the ground couldn't touch me.

Outside of boss battles, the adventure itself is a lot better than GoW3's. Things really pick up once you get that heal/decay item. I'm in the middle of the E3 reveal level, and the environments are boss.
GOW games are hard to marathon. I despise replaying most of the puzzles. Luckily they only require 1-2 playthroughs to Platinum.

Praise the lord there weren't any challenge rooms. Fucking hate those.
These puzzles shouldn't hold you back once you figure them out the first time.

Vire

It was pretty amusing seeing Kratos
do the exact same finisher animations on the chimera here
which he does in 3. Same with the Cyclops.

How else do you think MP was made?

Gotta skimp on dat animation.

It was pretty amusing seeing Kratos
do the exact same finisher animations on the chimera here
which he does in 3. Same with the Cyclops.

Dat new medusa kill though. Anyway, all of the GoW games have recycled finishers.

I finished the game this morning. Was closer to the end than I thought. The finale was visually and conceptually brilliant, but I wish there was more to it. As the credits rolled I definitely got a "that's it?" feeling. The story was such a wasted opportunity. It's baffling, really. Kratos has maybe 10 lines of dialogue in the entire game.

GoW2 > GoW:A = GoW III > GoW I > GoS >>>>> CoO

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
that's your opinion,

yeah, it's like, my opinion, man

that by the way, i do not agree with, GOW games platforming is bad, you can tell that platforming and double jumping are still using the animation assets from the ps2 games, crazy, don't believe me? go watch some GOW2 and go back to ascension

I don't know what the jumping animation has to do with the quality of the platforming though.

phierce

Ugh the trials on hard are almost impossible for me, mostly because of the first part. Might have to put this down until this patch comes.
I really wish they would not patch it. If you can't be it on Hard, you can't be it on Hard. It's as simple as that. Why should they dumb the difficulty down to make it possible for you? I really don't get this move by SSM. If they wanted it to be easy for every person who purchased the game, why did they even include a Hard mode option??

Derrick01

Banned
I really wish they would not patch it. If you can't be it on Hard, you can't be it on Hard. It's as simple as that. Why should they dumb the difficulty down to make it possible for you? I really don't get this move by SSM. If they wanted it to be easy for every person who purchased the game, why did they even include a Hard mode option??

It wouldn't be that hard if half the combat mechanics they have in this game weren't horribly designed. I mean I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do when every enemy in the trials ignores all of my attacks and hits through my blocks. I pretty much have to spend the whole time rolling and hoping I don't get hit.

rdrr gnr

It wouldn't be that hard if half the combat mechanics they have in this game weren't horribly designed. I mean I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do when every enemy in the trials ignores all of my attacks and hits through my blocks. I pretty much have to spend the whole time rolling and hoping I don't get hit.
Are you using L2 + Square / L2 + Triangle? Stagger the enemy finishers so you can reload your magic.

phierce

Then how have so many others completed it? Many of us with not much problem. Maybe it's just the simple fact of the player and not the game. Is that entirely impossible?

Edit: I'm sorry I don't sugar coat shit...you can either do it or not.

Loudninja

Nothing wrong with the mechanics at all.

Vire

Then how have so many others completed it? Many of us with not much problem. Maybe it's just the simple fact of the player and not the game. Is that entirely impossible?

Edit: I'm sorry I don't sugar coat shit...you can either do it or not.

He did beat it, he's playing on Hard if I'm not mistaken.

phierce

He did beat it, he's playing on Hard if I'm not mistaken.
and that changes my statements how? I'm talking about HARD. So he beat it on Normal, but he fails on hard, and now he wants to wait for the patch?

My point is IT SHOULD NOT BE PATCHED. If you can't do it on hard, so be it. You don't deserve the platinum. Move on to something else, don't wait for the game to help you with a patch.

Vire

and that changes my statements how? I'm talking about hard. So he beat it on Normal, but he fails on hard, and now he wants to wait for the patch?

My point is IT SHOULD NOT BE PATCHED. If you can't do it on hard, so be it. You don't deserve the platinum. Move on to something else, don't wait for the game to help you with a patch.

So you are saying you beat it on hard "without a problem"? Correct?

BadAss2961

Nope, don't blame the game. Work on your skills and get better.

People can't handle too much of a challenge anymore. They expect to be able to beat everything without any frustration.

Vire

I think there's an important distinction between cheap and skillful.

Ninja Gaiden Black requires skill.

Ninja Gaiden 2 is cheap. On Master Ninja it is borderline broken, with offscreen projectiles hitting you etc.

Granted, I have not played the infamous trials yet, but I hope I do so before the patch. Still working through my backlog...

Derrick01

Banned
Nope, don't blame the game. Work on your skills and get better.

People can't handle too much of a challenge anymore. They expect to be able to beat everything without any frustration.

If it was tough because it was actually tough then that's one thing. But I don't accept tough because of poorly designed combat and a useless block button. This isn't the NES days anymore.

Robot Pants

I think there's an important distinction between cheap and skillful.

Ninja Gaiden Black requires skill.

Ninja Gaiden 2 is cheap. On Master Ninja it is borderline broken, with offscreen projectiles hitting you etc.

Granted, I have not played the infamous trials yet, but I hope I do so before the patch. Still working through my backlog...

lol

phierce

So you are saying you beat it on hard "without a problem"? Correct?
Yes. Yes, I did. I actually beat it on my first try...on HARD, as I've stated in previous post some pages back in this thread. I platinum'd the game in 12 hours. I'm not the only one. Scroll back through this thread and many others have had no problems with the trials. I do recognize that many have, but there are many who had zero problems with it.

SSM should not patch the trials just because every person who purchased the game can't complete the trials.

If they wanted everyone to complete it, why even have a fucking option for difficulty?

That's my point.

aristotle

If it was tough because it was actually tough then that's one thing. But I don't accept tough because of poorly designed combat and a useless block button. This isn't the NES days anymore.

Derrick you should really find my earlier post on how to beat trials on hard. It's really simple, it just takes a bit to learn the mechanics then you can do it one try. The first part will be the hardest. You block entirely on waves 2-4 though. No one except the huge sledgehammer guy will hit you at all in waves 2-4 if you just hold block and turtle everything else.

The only reason I think they should patch the trials is for a checkpoint. The difficulty is fine and completely in line with the other GoWs. If they checkpoint boss fights, there's no reason not to have 1 in the trials.

Derrick you should really find my earlier post on how to beat trials on hard. It's really simple, it just takes a bit to learn the mechanics then you can do it one try. The first part will be the hardest. You blocks entirely on waves 2-4 though. No one except the huge sledgehammer guy will hit you at all in waves 2-4 if you just hold block and turtle everything else.

Naw man. Blocks broke. Doesn't work. Well Derrick says. :p

Manus

Everyone embracing the combat on this game and saying its fair must have played it on normal. On hard the enemies don't even react when you hit them. The only time they do is when you have rage meter and as soon as you get touched by fire or an enemy you lose it. The combat is full of cheapness that makes Ninja Gaiden look tame. I had no issues beating other GoW games on titan, yet I can't even beat this furnace part on hard.

Y2Kev

You've gotta get the hang of launching enemies airborne and juggling them with the attacks where you hold triangle or square. For heavy enemies that can't be launched, double jump and catch them with those attacks... I was just tearing it up and filling my rage meter repeatedly once I started isolating enemies in the air so the ones on the ground couldn't touch me.

Outside of boss battles, the adventure itself is a lot better than GoW3's. Things really pick up once you get that heal/decay item. I'm in the middle of the E3 reveal level, and the environments are boss. These puzzles shouldn't hold you back once you figure them out the first time.

you just broke the game for me. lol. now i'm juggling like a madman

Dave_6

Shamelessly stolen from ps3trophies.org. Credit goes to "poignancy" over there. Spoilered just in case:

Originally Posted by poignancy View Post
... I have maxed out magic bar and Zeus lightning. I also happened to be carrying a shield into this battle, if you arn't no big deal it didn't help much..

Wave 1: Start off by rolling to the right hand side so one gorgon spawns in the fire. freeze (L2+Square) the other one and start your favorite combo. try to stay in this corner to fight only the one at a time. this GREATLY helps and makes these guys complete pussies. Once you finish that first one off another will spawn and most likely by now the 2nd on found its way to you.

Keep your distance and use the L2+Square AND L2+Triangle whenever you can. You can block all the attacks except you need to roll dodge the gorgon freezebeams and roll away when they sliver up to grab you. At this point you can use magic twice. This should stun one if not both. If not hit them a couple times and one of them SHOULD go red. Complete the mini-game to regain magic. When the lighting bitches spawn use all 4 magic and eliminate them as they turn red because they also grant you more magic orbs which is all the more helpful.

Bear in mind you WILL NOT need ANY magic or hardly any health for the last 2 waves i PROMISE you that. Go balls to the walls use all your magic up at this point. Do not forget to use the orkos stone to freeze someone after each time you use magic. get in a quick combo and use another magic. This routine keeps u safe from damage.

Wave 2: Play it SAFE. HOLD BLOCK THE ENTIRE TIME!!! They can not and WILL NOT damage you. Get in cheap shots quick attacks when you have time, but TAKE YOUR TIME and BE A CHEAP PLAYER. You CAN NOT die here so long as you play it safe. Keep in mind if you are low on health the blue bitches grant you some when you grapple them once they are red.

Wave 3: Hold block and wait for him to charge. Win the QTE and engage your favorite combo. Unleash any magic you may have left at this point, but its entirely not needed. (I have enough for once usage).

Wave 4: Once he is done emply the same strategy as part 2. HOLD BLOCK and they CAN NOT KILL YOU! EVER. Only when you try to attack so PLAY IT SAFE you are almost done this is NOT that hard.

Using this method I beat the Trial on my 2nd attempt with no problem (on Normal). Final boss was pretty fucking awesome too.

Vire

Yes. Yes, I did. I actually beat it on my first try...on HARD, as I've stated in previous post some pages back in this thread. I platinum'd the game in 12 hours. I'm not the only one. Scroll back through this thread and many others have had no problems with the trials. I do recognize that many have, but there are many who had zero problems with it.

SSM should not patch the trials just because every person who purchased the game can't complete the trials.

If they wanted everyone to donut, why even have a fucking option for difficulty?

That's my point.

Well, they aren't adjusting the difficulty just based off Derrick's post. It's pretty clear that many people had a problem with it on normal difficulty.

Should they rebalance it? I don't really think so, seems like your playing with fire. Just let it be.

I remember how incredibly overblown the Hades Columns part was in God of War 1. It literally took me about 5 minutes to beat.

But I guess different strokes for different folks.

Everyone embracing the combat on this game and saying its fair must have played it on normal. On hard the enemies don't even react when you hit them. The only time they do is when you have rage meter and as soon as you get touched by fire or an enemy you lose it. The combat is full of cheapness that makes Ninja Gaiden look tame. I had no issues beating other GoW games on titan, yet I can't even beat this furnace part on hard.

Hmm... interesting to see the different perspectives.

Is there a video anywhere of the trials on Hard?

The lack of dialogue from Kratos was kinda weird. At times it seemed as if I was playing on mute because the lack of environmental sounds and or music was missing. Other than that the combat was great, level design was great and it scratched my GOW itch.

phierce

Well, they aren't adjusting the difficulty just based off Derrick's post. It's pretty clear that many people had a problem with it on normal difficulty.

Should they rebalance it? I don't really think so, seems like your playing with fire. Just let it be.

I remember how incredibly overblown the Hades Columns part was in God of War 1. It literally took me about 5 minutes to beat.

But I guess different strokes for different folks.

Hmm... interesting to see the different perspectives.

Is there a video anywhere of the trials on Hard?
My reaction/post was not directed specifically at Derick...it's directed at everyone complaining about the difficulty and/or "waiting on the patch".

You quickly changed your stance and that's fine.

Players can either complete a section of a game (on X difficulty) or they can't. Players need to get better and adapt/learn the game or simply suck it up and accept the fact that they are defeated. The company should not feel obligated, or be forced, to patch a game to please those people.

That is my entire point.

This spans further than games though, and I won't even bother getting in to that.

Vire

My reaction/post was not directed specifically at Derick...it's directed at everyone complaining about the difficulty and/or "waiting on the patch".

Players can either complete a section of a game (on X difficulty) or they can't. Players need to get better and adapt/learn the game or simply suck it up and accept the fact that they are defeated. The company should not feel obligated, or be forced, to patch a game to please those people.

That is my entire point.

This spans further than games though, and I won't even bother getting in to that.
I never really had a stance, I was just trying to hear both sides of the story.

I don't really have much pity for people who complain hard mode is hard. I mean that's kinda the point.

But if you are struggling on normal mode when you breezed through the rest of the game and there is a sudden drastic difficulty spike. That's problematic and bad design.

Manus

That is my entire point.

I wouldn't have a problem with the cheapness near the end of the game if they offered me a way to change difficulty mid game. I have no idea why the other GoW games would do it, but not this one.

They're only doing a patch to shut up dumb shit reviewers like Sessler. Between that and the stupid trophy name nonsense they were getting too much shit for little things. So patch it and make everyone happy.

I'm on chapter 15 on hard, and so far it's the easiest hard mode in any GOW game imo. Generous checkpoints and regain full health when you die. What more can you possibly want? lol

Derrick01

Banned
They're only doing a patch to shut up dumb shit reviewers like Sessler. Between that and the stupid trophy name nonsense they were getting too much shit for little things. So patch it and make everyone happy.

I'm on chapter 15 on hard, and so far it's the easiest hard mode in any GOW game imo. Generous checkpoints and regain full health when you die. What more can you possibly want? lol

It is easy for the entire game except that one point. There is no preparation for such a sudden difficulty spike and the combat system with all of its errors cannot support it either.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
The lack of dialogue from Kratos was kinda weird. At times it seemed as if I was playing on mute because the lack of environmental sounds and or music was missing. Other than that the combat was great, level design was great and it scratched my GOW itch.

I've had this same sensation at multiple points through out my playthrough so far. I'm definitely not far into the game yet but I've also run into 2 freezes and one hard lock on my ps3. After killing the Hecha's hand and falling into that room with the killdozer/elevator thing...the game paused for a sec then when I flipped the switch and walked into that room the entire wall with the elevator on it was black and I was inside the geometry of the stairs on the left.

Never ever had anything like this in a GOW game before. Feels oddly rushed...

phierce

I don't really have much pity for people who complain hard mode is hard. I mean that's kinda the point.

But if you are struggling on normal mode when you breezed through the rest of the game and there is a sudden drastic difficulty spike. That's problematic and bad design.
But that's just it. I've never played normal, but from playing hard, I didn't really notice a "drastic difficulty spike". Maybe normal is different? Shit, I guess it has to be based on these posts.

The entire time the game feeds you these same enemies to learn. It's not like the trials consist of all new enemies you've never experienced before. By the time you get to the trials you should have some sort of clue on how to kill said enemies. The only thing that changes are the number/combo of enemies and the space given to fight them. They don't do any new moves. They don't have more health. They don't change. Period.

I wouldn't have a problem with the cheapness near the end of the game.
What cheapness?

phierce

It is easy for the entire game except that one point. There is no preparation for such a sudden difficulty spike and the combat system with all of its errors cannot support it either.
The entire time the game feeds you these same enemies to learn. It's not like the trials consist of all new enemies you've never experienced before. By the time you get to the trials you should have some sort of clue on how to kill said enemies. The only thing that changes are the number/combo of enemies and the space given to fight them. They don't do any new moves. They don't have more health. They don't change. Period.

What's the general consensus on the multiplayer and co-op? Do you think it's something that will last like when Uncharted added it? Or something that's going to die quickly and never return like Bioshock or Dead Space?

Vire

Found it

It does seem a bit ridiculous on how many hits enemies take to go down. Just doesn't seem fun.

I don't remember it being like that at all in III.

Dahbomb

So you guys are telling me that you can't beat the game on Hard or higher by just attacking twice and rolling?

I find that hard to believe. That's staple for every GoW game and I started every GoW game on Spartan (the Hard difficulty, don't know what its called here).

Just read that tweet, good thing they aren't just making it easier to appease the mashers.

I just want people on the fence to know that this is a good game. It's not as fantastically epic as some of the other games in terms of story but it's certainly not a bad game by any means. The thing is, is that we're used to such a ridiculously high standard that it makes certain flaws seem magnified. Honestly, I've had more fun in subsequent playthroughs of the single player than any GOW game and I think that proves a game is good. Replayablility is an excellent asset.

Again aside from the damn L1 parry issue, if they'd had let you play as general Kratos for a bit I think the game would have turned out superbly on all fronts.

Derrick01

Banned

And no checkpoints or health chests for the entire time. That's a pretty huge change from the rest of the game right there. You have to make it all the way to wave 3 to have a chance of getting a good amount of health back.

Which, again, would be fine with me if the combat was relying on my skill and not enemies who apparently feel nothing from a blade whacking them in the face. Only Kratos seems to feel any force from hits in this game, hence all the complaints from people that he feels weaker in this game than any of the others.

So you guys are telling me that you can't beat the game on Hard or higher by just attacking twice and rolling?

I find that hard to believe. That's staple for every GoW game and I started every GoW game on Spartan (the Hard difficulty, don't know what its called here).

Well that only really applies to the Trial section. You really aren't able to sq sq roll and be successful. You have to moreso block, wait for an opening then spam your magic, particularly on Hard mode. It's definitely a change from other GOW games which is why I was so pissed off about this game at first.

Dahbomb

That sounds lame to be honest. That doesn't sound cheap just boring. Magic should be a supplementary means of offense not a primary one.

Y2Kev

So there are no QTEs in the game with analog inputs until a boss fight, when one just springs itself on you.

Interesting.

What's the general consensus on the multiplayer and co-op? Do you think it's something that will last like when Uncharted added it? Or something that's going to die quickly and never return like Bioshock or Dead Space?

I've only played the multiplayer so far and it's really fun. It's hogging all my game time.

Manus

So there are no QTEs in the game with analog inputs until a boss fight, when one just springs itself on you.

Interesting.

Lol, yeah I found myself raging when I came to that part, especially when I didn't pull it off and died. What a way to introduce you to it.

Top Bottom