• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Can somebody tell me how the fuck I can reliably smash petrified enemies? What is the point of this mechanic if it's almost impossible to shatter them? Even square-square-hammer attack doesn't do it.

phierce

And no checkpoints or health chests for the entire time. That's a pretty huge change from the rest of the game right there. You have to make it all the way to wave 3 to have a chance of getting a good amount of health back.

Which, again, would be fine with me if the combat was relying on my skill and not enemies who apparently feel nothing from a blade whacking them in the face. Only Kratos seems to feel any force from hits in this game, hence all the complaints from people that he feels weaker in this game than any of the others.
It's obvious that we are completely different players. I'll give in to that.

No check points or chests for health or magic? That argument just supports my (several) previous posts even more.

Should they design it so your health and magic refills completely after every kill just to completely take away the challenge all together or would that be too easy?

Found it

It does seem a bit ridiculous on how many hits enemies take to go down. Just doesn't seem fun.

I don't remember it being like that at all in III.
So...after all this, you haven't even played the game? lol this makes this thread that much better.

I'm bowing out of this debate all together. I'm done.

For those of you who enjoy a challenge, my hats off.

For those bitching because something isn't handed to you for free, enjoy the patch.

Edit: Happy St. Patty's!! Enjoy yourselves and be safe and drunk.

It is easy for the entire game except that one point. There is no preparation for such a sudden difficulty spike and the combat system with all of its errors cannot support it either.

But there isn't any spike in difficulty. I haven't played it on hard yet but on Normal i beat it on my 3rd try. The first 2 i was just bullshitting and didn't realize there wasn't any checkpoints or health chests. This section requires skill, patience, and strategy. I guarantee most of the complainers don't even realize 80% of the Trials can be blocked. You can go completely untouched in the last 3 waves. Everyone is trying to button smash their way through the trials when the section wasn't designed for that.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Nothing wrong with the mechanics at all.

I really don't understand why you participate in discussions when you have nothing to say. Your posts are consistently extremely short, positive statements or reflexive denials of other posters' criticisms.

I can't remember seeing a single critical thought about anything in one of your posts. Do you really just like every goddamn thing about every game you post about?

James-Ape

show some balls, man
What's the general consensus on the multiplayer and co-op? Do you think it's something that will last like when Uncharted added it? Or something that's going to die quickly and never return like Bioshock or Dead Space?

The multiplayer is fantastic so far but only time will tell if it has staying power. I haven't gone back to the single player since trying it. It has more nuance and variety than i thought it would, the fixed camera works well and even adds to the gameplay. I definitely haven't played anything like it in a while.

Manus

It's obvious that we are completely different players. I'll give in to that.

No check points or chests for health or magic? That argument just supports my (several) previous posts even more.

Should they design it so your health and magic refills completely after every kill just to completely take away the challenge all together or would that be too easy?

So...after all this, you haven't even played the game? lol this makes this thread that much better.

I'm bowing out of this debate all together.

For those of you who enjoy a challenge, my hats off.

For those bitching because something isn't handed to you for free, enjoy the patch.

Edit: Happy St. Patty's!! Enjoy yourselves and be safe and drunk.

Their's a difference from a challenge and being cheap. I can beat Dark Souls on SL1, that's a challenge. The trails in this GoW is just cheap.

Loudninja

I really don't understand why you participate in discussions when you have nothing to say but kneejerk positive statements about Sony games.

I can't remember seeing a single critical thought about anything in one of your posts. Do you really just like every goddamn thing about every game you post about?
Thats complete bullshit.

Just because I am negative about everything does not mean I dont have problems with the games I play.

Just got to chapter 26, so almost done. Enjoyed it thus far, a few gripes but overall very good - doesn't compare to the main trilogy though, but it's at least as good as the PSP game. Probably the best looking of the bunch, the lighting is phenomenal - this and III have some breathtaking art direction and camera work.

I'll make a quick list of what I do and don't like thus far. I'll probably update this tomorrow when I finish off the last few chapters.

Dislike:

• PARRY. This is my number one gripe with the game. It's the main thing that holds it back from being as good as the others. It absolutely kills the pace of combat. So, so freaking bad. By far and wide the worst change made to the series. Reeks of compromise to match the multiplayer.
  • Recycled shit from III. The cyclops model and attacks are the same, the Centaur is the same in III just coloured differently, the Cerberus is the same as in III but with purple 'soul' flame now rather than regular orange and the Chimera is the same as in III. Something else that looks like the result of cutting corners to accommodate multiplayer - fortunately the multiplayer seems to be pretty good, although I haven't yet tried it past the beta.
    • Feels like it's cutting a lot of corners. Kind of an extention of my last couple points. But there is quite a bit of backtracking in parts and some sequences feel artificially extended (the game is very short even with this) and some ideas seem to be lifted from canned III ideas (if you own the GoWIII concept art and design book you'll notice stuff like elemental enhancements for the blades and a puzzle involving a corpse as part of the mechanics, both of which appear in Ascension). It all kind of feels like they had to make quite a few cuts and fastrack some ideas to accommodate for the multiplayer development, which is expected. It's not game ruining but it's definitely noticeable.
  • The rage meter takes way too long for most of the weapon elements, barring fire - meaning I usually end up sticking to just fire and switching to electricity for the magic attack - barely touched the other two. This wouldn't be such an issue if the majority of a weapons combos weren't locked away behind the rage meter.
  • Too many puzzles. Sure, puzzles are a great palette cleanser to the frantic combat and can really help with the pacing, but holy shit they're everywhere in this. There has to be at least 3 times as many as in III. I wouldn't mind so much if they weren't all so incredibly dull. They feel more like roadblocks than part of the fun.
  • Pointless story. Maybe once I've finished up these last couple chapters it will all come to me, but at the moment it seems to be a totally unnecessary addition to the overall storyline. This is how Kratos broke his oath the Ares... cool? I mean, I don't really think it's a strong enough plot or to make a whole game from.

• Dat art direction. Some amazing shots and use of colour in the game. The art team really did a freaking great job. Sure it may not reach the scale spectacle as often as III, although
    the reconstruction of that giant statue
    towards the end of the game is pretty epic, but in terms of sheer visual prowess it excels. Lighting is amazing, camera work is brilliant, colour palette beyond the Hecatonchires sections is fantastic and the range of shaders and effects are put to great use.
  • Some really cool magic and abilities. It sort of feels like a mashup of the best stuff from all of the God of War games mixed together, but in a good way. It's put to good use and doesn't feel recycled. The magic for the Zeus/electricity enhancement is amazingly satisfying, very reminiscent of Poseidon's rage.
  • The soundtrack is actually pretty damn good... when it works. I understand some people are having issues with it, but it's been pretty much fine for me aside from some hitches (which III also had early on). It's quite different to the other games, but still very GoW.
  • Despite the gaping wound of an issue that is parry, the combat is still fun. After the boring opening 30 mins demo I was a bit worried about the combat, it seemed to have taken an ill turn from when I played it at Eurogamer - but thankfully it's still intact. Can be really satisfying.
  • Set pieces. A staple of God of War now, they're not as plentiful in Ascension although there are some great ones peppered throughout.
  • Prompt-less minigames. When you get used to them they're actually pretty good. It takes some adjusting if you're a series veteran, but stabbing the shit out of a gorgon while dodging her attacks is very satisfying.
  • Grabbing, Throwing, Punching, Kicking. All well implemented, simple to use and satisfying, great for stringing together combos. Although maybe a different button for chests and grabs or something because a few times I'd be pushed towards the edge of an arena and want to grab but Kratos goes for the chest instead. hand to hand combat has a nice heft to it. Found weapons are mostly meh however, I usually just L1 & O them at enemies.

So so:
  • God of War: Drakes Deception. Seriously trying to ape Uncharted hard in some sequences. While some of those sequences are fun, it does seem a bit unoriginal and there is a bit of repetition in them. Seriously, so much climbing. I now see why the game is called Ascension.
  • Sliding. God of War III had the flying through tunnels sections, this has the sliding down stuff sections. Thankfully they're much, much more fun than the tunnels in III and the one in Chapter 24 is really well done, so I can't complain about them too much - although do seem a bit of a crutch when trying to get Kratos somewhere quickly whereas the other games in the series would be a bit more imaginative in getting you places.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Thats complete bullshit.

Just because I am negative about everything does not mean I dont have problems with the games I play.

You responded to someone who gave at least some detail about the problems he had with "no there aren't problems." Why post at all if you won't provide any analysis or support?

Yes. Yes, I did. I actually beat it on my first try...on HARD, as I've stated in previous post some pages back in this thread. I platinum'd the game in 12 hours. I'm not the only one. Scroll back through this thread and many others have had no problems with the trials. I do recognize that many have, but there are many who had zero problems with it.

SSM should not patch the trials just because every person who purchased the game can't complete the trials.

If they wanted everyone to complete it, why even have a fucking option for difficulty?

That's my point.
You realize there are 5 other games in the series and no one was asking for a patch until now, correct? The trial's lack of checkpoints, enemy placement, lack of health orbs and mechanics all show how broken the combat really is.

Who gives a shit if you did it? Someone can probably unscrew a screw with their finger nail, doesn't mean tools aren't required and everyone should be able to do it.

Macattk15

Their's a difference from a challenge and being cheap. I can beat Dark Souls on SL1, that's a challenge. The trails in this GoW is just cheap.

But Dark Souls is pretty damn easy when you know all the patterns / attacks.

No way you went in blind on DS and beat it first time @ SL 1.

• The rage meter takes way too long for most of the weapon elements, barring fire - meaning I usually end up sticking to just fire and switching to electricity for the magic attack - barely touched the other two. This wouldn't be such an issue if the majority of a weapons combos weren't locked away behind the rage meter.

Damn you didn't level the Soul element? I found it BY FAR the easiest and fastest to fill the rage meter. And the Rage attack is AWESOME.

Really trivialized a lot of the massive gangbang fights as soon as you could fill it once.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I died on that analog QTE too. I was using the right stick and it only works with the left.

You're also fully accustomed to Dark Souls when you attempt that SL1 run. Stuff like the Capra Demon is a blatant cheap shot from the game the first time through, so it's hardly fair the entire time.

phierce

You realize there are 5 other games in the series and no one was asking for a patch until now, correct? The trial's lack of checkpoints, enemy placement, lack of health orbs and mechanics all show how broken the combat really is.

Who gives a shit if you did it? Someone can probably unscrew a screw with their finger nail, doesn't mean tools aren't required and everyone should be able to do it.
First of all, don't make this about me. I never once said anything about my success on the trials until specifically asked.

I am not the only person to complete this. This thread is littered with posts of people having zero problems with the trials.

My point is simple. Just because someone can't do it, does not mean it's broken or needs to be patched. You either can or you can't. It's that simple.

If it was broken, I would be the first to step up and say something about it.

Really, the screw comparison? Hell, I can't dunk a basketball at regulation...never have been able to. I don't think the goals should be lowered to 9 foot in order to make me feel better about myself.

Darknight

Holy shit. Just beat it. This game is good. Love how Kratos shows his more "human" side for a bit but is still as ruthless to his enemies like we know him.

I really loved how when you grapple an enemy when its red over their head, you get that "minigame" of sorts when you have to attack and dodge at the same time. Very cool improvement. Gameplay remains fresh and its not dull, to me, at this day and age. I loved the immense battles that take place when the camera zooms out. It clearly displays how big the action scenes are. Love this from this franchise.

Only cons is that story gets a little confusing at points. The really irritating decay/heal puzzles. Like i kept over thinking them most of the time and lost time trying more complicated things to solve it. When the camera zooms out, Kratos can get lost in all the chaos but a few seconds. (not that bad) Lastly I feel that SSM pushed alot of the PS3 but some parts looked like odd. Some parts, the image is not that clear, you can see low res textures here and there. No a big issue but these devs have hit the limit to this console.

Great game. Maybe not the best of the series but its a good GOW entry.

PS: havent touched MP so thats even more stuff I got to get my hands on.

Papercuts

Are we forgetting the Cerberus from 3 that was a similar roadblock to many people? That fucker took more of a beating than any god in the series, and forced you against Satyr's for, IIRC, only the second time in the entire game meaning you had no real time to build experience against them.

They didn't patch this, but the only changes they are seemingly doing to the trials here are adding a checkpoint without touching the spawns. The fight in 3 was all on the annoying enemy placement and randomness of getting hit right out of i-frames of kicking exploding dogs back.

I distinctly remember the OT for 3 having a ton of people get stuck there.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Are we forgetting the Cerberus from 3 that was a similar roadblock to many people? That fucker took more of a beating than any god in the series, and forced you against Satyr's for, IIRC, only the second time in the entire game meaning you had no real time to build experience against them.

They didn't patch this, but the only changes they are seemingly doing to the trials here are adding a checkpoint without touching the spawns. The fight in 3 was all on the annoying enemy placement and randomness of getting hit right out of i-frames of kicking exploding dogs back.

I thought that fight in 3 was easy, even on Titan. I got stuck on the trial for 3 hours on normal. There's a huge difference in the way that they're designed.

Papercuts

I thought that fight in 3 was easy, even on Titan. I got stuck on the trial for 3 hours on normal. There's a huge difference in the way that they're designed.

Ascension is more of a long paced survival(which a checkpoint wold completely 'fix) while the one in 3 was a singular fight in a small arena that was annoying as shit. I didn't find it nearly as hard as other people, either, but I played 3 and Ascension on hard the first time through and got the trial on my 7th or 8th shot, none of those were deaths on the first wave. The singular fight in 3 I would say is still a bigger hike out of nowhere than any of the actual waves composing the overall trial.

I actually died much more on the Cerberus. I had to use the medusa magic to stone the satyr's which was hit or miss.

phierce

Exactly. That fight along with the Ice Scorpion was so much harder than these trials for me. Yet, I died and died and kept trying until I eventually won. I didn't bitch and moan about it.

Loudninja

Its actually pretty interesting to see the widely different opinions on the trails.

But I guess that's the same for every GOW game.

phierce

Relax, no need for the hostility.
Sorry if that came off as hostile? Definitely not intended to be that way. My use of the word "fuck" made it seem hostile?

If that's viewed as hostile, it makes a lot of these responses a lot more clear now. lol

No ill feelings or hostility on my end :)

Darknight

Oh wow I see people complaining about the "trials". Even though they were the most challenging (duh), I expected something like this since all GOW games have this shit.

I just beat it on Normal. So Hard/Titan....god have mercy on us. But I can tell you, the trick is to use all you move sets, specials and dodge...A LOT. That special move that summons dark Kratos is a must along with the slow down thing. Then hope you have Lvl3/4 of your weapons to do your R2 special. Use all that shit in a combo and you'll beat it. If you are complaining about no health or checkpoints? Like for real? LOL, yea no.

Papercuts

Exactly. That fight along with the Ice Scorpion was so much harder than these trials for me. Yet, I died and died and kept trying until I eventually won. I didn't bitch and moan about it.

I would actually say that the Ice Scorpion was cheap, because that bastard got me livid. His tail had terrible hit detection and would snag me for ~50% life when it would miss. Using the Cestus to hit his legs, which lunges you forward, made it very easy to get stuck inside of him. Like they literally designed it to be as annoying as possible, lol.

Carnby

Okay...you win, I'm still posting.

I asked once before. What the fuck is cheap about it??

Harpies and Gorgons at the same time is cheap. I can block but then that's all I can do when 5 creatures literally attack at the same time.

The thing that pisses me off more than anything, is that I have to sit through 60 seconds of animations every time I want to try again. I don't mind a challenge, but there really should have been check points. After all, GOW is "babies first action game."

Gold_Loot

Can somebody tell me how the fuck I can reliably smash petrified enemies? What is the point of this mechanic if it's almost impossible to shatter them? Even square-square-hammer attack doesn't do it.

I use the square-square-*hold*square combo to break petrified mobs.. Works like a charm for me .

phierce

Harpies and Gorgons at the same time is cheap. I can block but then that's all I can do when 5 creatures literally attack at the same time.
I'm not sure I'd call that cheap, but even so...You do know you can R1 the harpies non-stop until they're dead, thus making yourself completely invulnerable to all other attacks from the Gorgons until you finish the harpies?

Jarekx

Combat feels off for me. I can't roll cancel out of attacks I used to be able to. Enemies don't seem to stun as often either.

I'm pretty disappointed by this one. First GoW I won't finish.

Rippa

Hey guys, just wanted to share how I beat the trials on Hard on my 8th try. No doubt it was tough! I'm glad I got it pre-patched. ;)

A few tips for those who care:(assuming you guys have the electric blades and soul blades maxed.)
1. L2 + square and L2 + Triangle are your friends! Learn to manipulate the enemy by slowing them to a halt and stringing soul blades hits together.
2. The combo/rage meter is also your friend. Stringing enough hits while rolling nets you the L3 + R3 which I recommend using the soul blades. Keep that hit momentum going and listen for audio cues. It tells you that you're stringing hits nicely.
3. Roll, roll, roll!!!
4. ALWAYS trigger the death combo (grapple) as soon as it appears. You don't want any sneak attacks from anywhere knocking down some energy.
5. Rinse and repeat.

Round 1 tip: Medusas up first! Soul whip and a bit of a one-two with the L2+[] and the L+/_.
Rinse repeat until the electric bitches start showing up. I recommend to immediately switch to the electric blades and spamming the Magic button essentially knocking the electric bitches out of the ring leaving only the medusas to fight. Switch back to soul blades and deal death.

Round 2 tip: First up, bitches with spears and birds. I recommend staying as close to the screen as possible and again spamming the magic button using electric blades. It will knock the bitches out of the fighting arena. That leaves the birds with fire. Stay as far away from the screen as possible and spam grapple each bird into the background knocking them instantly out of the arena. Avoid the flames. Then the mini-Titan w/hammer. Slow him using the L2+square and blade him with whatever. When he rages into hulk mode, sick a L2+/_ on him. Rinse repeat until he's down all with the flames in mind.

Round 3: first off switch to your soul blades. Enter the centaur. Easy! Slow him with the L2+[] and hold triangle to vault yourself and air combo him to death. As soon as you land L2+/_! String hits and see if you sneak in a magic attack. Rinse repeat for everything else that spawns up on you.

Hope this help!
Good luck!

Carnby

I'm not sure I'd call that cheap, but even so...You do know you can R1 the harpies non-stop until they're dead, thus making yourself completely invulnerable to all other attacks from the Gorgons until you finish the harpies?

Really? I could have sworn that they block it, or it bounces off of them. I'll give it another try.

Yeah that's because gamers have become whiny and think they are entitled to complain and change things they don't like since they got away with it in Mass Effect 3's ending, now this, and I'm sure it will continue. I really wish I could complain when a book or movie has a shitty ending or chapter and just tell them to change it.

Carnby

Yeah that's because gamers have become whiny and think they are entitled to complain and change things they don't like since they got away with it in Mass Effect 3's ending, now this, and I'm sure it will continue. I really wish I could complain when a book or movie has a shitty ending or chapter and just tell them to change it.

LOL This argument has reached Republicans v. Democrats levels.

rdrr gnr

That's not the same thing.

Gold_Loot

They haven't patch it yet.Not sure what they are going to do with the trail.

Btw Is it me or is the club a crappy sub weapon?I like all the others but the club is wayy to slow.

Honestly, I think the most they should do is drop a health chest on the second floor. Any more than that would make it more trivial than trial.

I seriously think the people complaining about the combat in this game haven't adjusted to all the new stuff Ascension throws your way.

Yeah, in previous GoW games you could just spam the same attacks, but this game sort of forces you to change up your technique depending on the combat scenario.

I find it a lot more fun and engaging.

Darknight

They haven't patch it yet.Not sure what they are going to do with the trail.

Btw Is it me or is the club a crappy sub weapon?I like all the others but the club is wayy to slow.

Well I dont think there is nothing wrong with the trials myself. I havent updated since Im not playing online plus I thought the name change was bullshit. Hell I got the trophy and the reason you get it is bc Orkos chooses to help you instead of his evil mother and the other evil monsters. Its not even about Kratos fricking killing some helpless female just for the hell of it.

Top Bottom