• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goldeneye hype thead!!

93xfan

Banned
GoldenEye is likely the greatest James Bond game to have ever existed in the history of the franchise....the last semi-great Bond game was Bloodstone which is on my list to check out....(backlog list I should say along with Alpha Protocol) If you were going to bring out a new James Bond game, I would use the Splinter Cell series as an inspiration ...
Quantum of Solace was also a good deal of fun, at least the MP was. But Goldeneye is certainly my favorite Bond game ever.

93xfan

Banned
I recently tried Perfect Dark remaster and shut it off after 10 minutes. If that's the kind of gameplay I can expect from the fabled Goldeneye, then I think I'll pass. People clamoring for this remaster are clearly blinded by nostalgia.
Maybe play a bit longer and explore the games. I still play it and love it.

Also, the MP, even with bots is a good bit of fun.

Sure you didn’t play Zero?

Last edited:

Moses85

Zero made me so

Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

Drizzlehell

Banned

I tried both, and Zero was even less interesting. Not saying they're bad games, I'm sure that they were good for the time, especially since the competition was thin and the genre wasn't as established on consoles as it is today. But I guess I just missed out because I only had a PC at the time and IMO the vast majority of PC shooters from that era blow these games away easily.

Although PD reminded me a lot of the Time Splitters series, and I liked those a lot, even though I only managed to catch up on them in recent years. I didn't really think too much about why I liked them better, though. TS is just instantly fun to me the minute I pick up the controller and start playing but Perfect Dark felt kinda tedious in comparison.

Last edited:
I tried both, and Zero was even less interesting. Not saying they're bad games, I'm sure that they were good for the time, especially since the competition was thin and the genre wasn't as established on consoles as it is today. But I guess I just missed out because I only had a PC at the time and IMO the vast majority of PC shooters from that era blow these games away easily.

Although PD reminded me a lot of the Time Splitters series, and I liked those a lot, even though I only managed to catch up on them in recent years. I didn't really think too much about why I liked them better, though. TS is just instantly fun to me the minute I pick up the controller and start playing but Perfect Dark felt kinda tedious in comparison.
TW was made by Goldeneye vets. I ever got into Perfect Dark myself, but I didn’t play it til the 360. I adored Goldeneye though.
As for Zero? It was always terrible. TERRIBLE.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Really? I thought Perfect Dark was an excellent remaster. Moreso than Goldeneye, it was held back by the N64s limitations and it really shines now on xbox.

I recently replayed goldeneye 64 and stopped on the train level. Leaving it now until the remaster. It holds up really well even at 20fps on svideo cables. The core game is still fun. I think your expectations maybe a bit off if you come away dissapointed.
Yeah, I dunno. I was probably expecting something a bit different.

And full disclosure, I'm an FPS junkie, and I have a particularly soft spot for games from the 90s and 2000s but even though I enjoyed console shooters from that era, such as Turok or Medal of Honor, PD just didn't click for me. I'm probably gonna give it another go at some point but that first impression really gave me the vibes that it was a good game for its time but these days you'd have to excuse some of its archaic elements.

Which is fine. I mean, the original Doom and Return To Castle Wolfenstein are probably my all-time favorite FPS games but I wouldn't hold it against someone who never played those before if they didn't find them any fun to play today.

93xfan

Banned

Try counter ops with a friend. Or better yet, try the MP. Great guns and maps. Love the secondary ability of many of those guns

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Really? I thought Perfect Dark was an excellent remaster. Moreso than Goldeneye, it was held back by the N64s limitations and it really shines now on xbox.

I recently replayed goldeneye 64 and stopped on the train level. Leaving it now until the remaster. It holds up really well even at 20fps on svideo cables. The core game is still fun. I think your expectations maybe a bit off if you come away dissapointed.
This is one of those games that if you grew up with it then it's great thanks to nostalgia.

If you didn't play it back then then you can't feel the magic.

I know Goldeneye is worshipped in here, and tbh it's probably the most overrated games of all times.

Soodanim

This is one of those games that if you grew up with it then it's great thanks to nostalgia.

I know Goldeneye is worshipped in here, and tbh it's probably the most overrated games of all times.
What about things like the difficulty based objectives and the replayability thanks to cheats that you earn? G007 and PD have qualities you don't find elsewhere, and a lot of people think modern games are missing

The_Mike

What about things like the difficulty based objectives and the replayability thanks to cheats that you earn? G007 and PD have qualities you don't find elsewhere, and a lot of people think modern games are missing
If the gameplay hasnt aged well, then stuff like that doesnt really matter

nkarafo

The nostalgia argument rubs me the wrong way because it implies the game has zero qualities and the reason people like it is because there's something wrong with them (blinded) and there's no way its a matter of taste, like in every other game.

Yου are not better or smarter because you figured it out. You simply don't like it and that's the end of it.

Kids these days....

I think we have a grasp on what makes a good game. The mechanics are sound, always were and always will be. It is the Sega Rally of fps.

If you want to sit back and have 10 mins of 4k cutscenes and second rate dialogue before a massive scripted event then yes Goldeneye will let you down. it also wont provide 100hours empty world walking.

It has a low framerate and resolution - the remake will address that.

The game is great. It has variety, multiple approaches to objectives, lots to play with and some demanding challenges. It also helps if u can muster 3 friends for one of the best multiplayer experiances you can have - even today.

I wonder if the people making out this is a bad game are just spending 10 mins trying to run through it like Doom?

Last edited:

The_Mike

Kids these days....
Bro I am probably older than you, I am 36 lol.

I think we have a grasp on what makes a good game. The mechanics are sound, always were and always will be. It is the Sega Rally of fps.
Growing up on a PC and not console, then Goldeneye really isnt something special.

If you want to sit back and have 10 mins of 4k cutscenes and second rate dialogue before a massive scripted event then yes Goldeneye will let you down. it also wont provide 100hours empty world walking.
You assume everyone in here loves PlayStation games.

I hate all games with too many cutscenes and scripted events.

Theres many old games that i like that have aged poorly, which I find out when I replay them.

I love Diablo II over all the other Diablos, but my GF cant get into it because of the ease and QoL thanks to Diablo 3 and RoS.
I can also see, while the core gameplay for me is great, its too complex for her, and theres not the same amount of content as in the newer ones.

I love older shooters, but revisiting some of them like Doom 2 and Duke Nukem 3D, I just realised how bad the map design are compared to newer games, and havent aged great as well.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I just hope they update the controls from how it was on the N64

N64 controls were already good enough. There's even a scheme that feels similar to modern dual analog controls (1.2 solitare, hold from left side).

I love older shooters, but revisiting some of them like Doom 2 and Duke Nukem 3D, I just realised how bad the map design are compared to newer games, and havent aged great as well.

You can't be serious...

Growing up on a PC and not console, then Goldeneye really isnt something special.

I grew up with both. In 1997 there was no PC FPS that was as advanced as Goldeneye. Sure, there was Quake 2 but that was a simple corridor shooter while Goldeneye had non-linear mission objectives, different hitbox for each part of the body with different amount of damage and different animations, including headshots for instant death, motion capture animations, some basic AI, stealth mechanics, sniper rifles and a ton of other features. Even Half-life later on didn't have a lot of those features (like the hitboxes thing). I remember shooting enemy soldiers on their leg in Half-life and they would react the same way as if i hit them on the head. I remember it felt like a step back coming from Goldeneye.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
N64 controls were already good enough. There's even a scheme that feels similar to modern dual analog controls (1.2 solitare, hold from left side).

You can't be serious...

I grew up with both. In 1997 there was no PC FPS that was as advanced as Goldeneye. Sure, there was Quake 2 but that was a simple corridor shooter while Goldeneye had non-linear mission objectives, different hitbox for each part of the body with different amount of damage and animations, including headshots for instant death, some basic AI, sniper rifles and a ton of other features. Even Half-life later on didn't have a lot of those features (like the hitboxes thing). I remember shooting enemies on their leg in Half-life and they would react the same way as if i hit them on the head. I remember it felt like a step back, coming from Goldeneye.

they didn't have dual analog back then, they used the stick for movement and buttons up aim up and down etc. dual stick control be better for this update

I actually feel it will not age well on Nintendo, And the Xbox version will feel fairly modern.

That said, i think Nintendo will also get the Perfect Dark Remaster to build good will and excitement for the next Perfect Dark Xbox game.

Last edited:

nkarafo

they used the stick for movement and buttons up aim up and down etc. dual stick control be better for this update

Nope. That's because you didn't bother looking at the different options. If you choose 1.2, the analog will be used for aim/turn and the D-pad/c-buttons for movement/strafe. Just like modern shooters, but closer to a KB/mouse setup since movement is not analog.

You are also wrong about the dual analog. Goldeneye did have dual analog controls but you needed to hold two controllers, in a similar fashion as something like the Wiimote/Nunchuck or the Switch controllers. And it worked better than it sounds.

Naturally, a lot of people never bothered to try anything other than the default scheme and these are the same people who claim how the controls haven't aged well. And of course, they are all wrong.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Nope. That's because you didn't bother looking at the different options. If you choose 1.2, the analog will be used for aim/turn and the D-pad/c-buttons for movement/strafe. Just like modern shooters, but closer to a KB/mouse setup since movement is not analog.

You are also wrong about the dual analog. Goldeneye did have dual analog controls but you needed to hold two controllers, in a similar fashion as something like the Wiimote/Nunchuck or the Switch controllers. And it worked better than it sounds.

Naturally, a lot of people never bothered to try anything other than the default scheme and these are the same people who claim how the controls haven't aged well. And of course, they are all wrong.

coarse I looked. back then there wasn't the dual stick option there was today. your forgetting that n64 brought analog back then. we have moved on and with currant duals sticks its much better for movement where you can move slowly or fast with the stick . you didn't have that option back then, if you choose and option like that you sacrificed the aim option

nkarafo

coarse I looked. back then there wasn't the dual stick option there was today. your forgetting that n64 brought analog back then. we have moved on and with currant duals sticks its much better for movement where you can move slowly or fast with the stick . you didn't have that option back then, if you choose and option like that you sacrificed the aim option

Sure, dual analog is better. But it's not a big deal if your movement and strafe isn't analog. WASD/mouse controls are like that. Also, i was replying to your initial post where you claim that you can only aim up/down with the buttons, which is false.

Lastly, i already told you about the dual analog control option in Goldeneye. So, if you have two controllers you can easily choose to have fully analog movement and aiming, just like current dual analog.

A remaster will allow to use those dual analog controls with a modern controller so you don't have to use two N64 ones. That's the only difference. Otherwise the game itself always had this feature. It's, in fact, the first console FPS game that features dual analog controls.

Last edited:

Bro I am probably older than you, I am 36 lol.

You assume everyone in here loves PlayStation games.

I hate all games with too many cutscenes and scripted events.

Theres many old games that i like that have aged poorly, which I find out when I replay them.

I love Diablo II over all the other Diablos, but my GF cant get into it because of the ease and QoL thanks to Diablo 3 and RoS.
I can also see, while the core gameplay for me is great, its too complex for her, and theres not the same amount of content as in the newer ones.

Sadly I am older :'-( but yeah, you are no spring chicken either.

I am not mocking playstation with the cutscene comment, I have played 3 levels on COD WW2 on xbox this weekend and dear god I have had to sit through a lot of cinematic shite to get to some rather tedious shooting. I much preferred how tense the pc originals were.

But you being a PC gamer at the time of Goldeneye probably explains it. What was revolutionary on console was seen as smaller scale by my PC gaming mates at the time.

But the gameplay was pretty unique (requires a few playthroughs through the difficulties to see it all) and the multiplayer was more social by virtue of everyone being on the same sofa and being able to see eachothers screen etc.

I maintain it holds up well. The remaster isn't going to win game of the year, but I would say it is a better game than say, high on life (which is ok).

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned

It is called the Goldeneye hype thread after all. Did you make a wrong turn somewhere? Can I make a link for you that goes back to the homepage? :p

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned

You can't be serious...

I grew up with both. In 1997 there was no PC FPS that was as advanced as Goldeneye. Sure, there was Quake 2 but that was a simple corridor shooter while Goldeneye had non-linear mission objectives, different hitbox for each part of the body with different amount of damage and different animations, including headshots for instant death, motion capture animations, some basic AI, stealth mechanics, sniper rifles and a ton of other features. Even Half-life later on didn't have a lot of those features (like the hitboxes thing). I remember shooting enemy soldiers on their leg in Half-life and they would react the same way as if i hit them on the head. I remember it felt like a step back coming from Goldeneye.

Thank you. This couldn’t be said enough. People act like everything was just more advanced on PC, but they’re fooling themselves or just plain uninformed.

Neff

I was 23 when GoldenEye 007 came out, shit blew my mind.

As far as I'm concerned GE and Perfect Dark haven't been topped for solo FPS mechanics/design. Timesplitters was good but it didn't quite have the same magic.

'Nostalgia?' I don't buy it. I play PD at least once a year and it still holds up.

93xfan

Banned
I was 23 when GoldenEye 007 came out, shit blew my mind.

As far as I'm concerned GE and Perfect Dark haven't been topped for solo FPS mechanics/design. Timesplitters was good but it didn't quite have the same magic.

'Nostalgia?' I don't buy it. I play PD at least once a year and it still holds up.
100% agree. Was in high school when Goldeneye came out. Loved it and PD. Timesplitters was my PS2 launch game due to hearing it was made by some of the old Rare team that made Goldeneye. Unfortunately it disappointed me a bit.

Played the Perfect Dark remaster on the 360 and was amazed with how well it held up (many levels of the campaign as well as the MP).

I almost feel we have some longtime PC fanboys trying to drum up 25 year old arguments they used to console themselves (pun maybe intended).

GametimeUK

If a control scheme doesn't adhere to the unwritten law of having to have L2 to aim down sights and R2 to shoot then the controls are poor.

nkarafo

If a control scheme doesn't adhere to the unwritten law of having to have L2 to aim down sights and R2 to shoot then the controls are poor.

Good thing Goldeneye adheres to this law then:

L shoulder = Aim down sight

Z trigger (which is the same index as R2) = Shoot.

n64-controller-double-left-grip.jpg

This control scheme was introduced in Turok btw. Thanks to this game, later dual analog controller FPS games were already a second nature to me.

Last edited:
GoldenEye is likely the greatest James Bond game to have ever existed in the history of the franchise....the last semi-great Bond game was Bloodstone which is on my list to check out....(backlog list I should say along with Alpha Protocol) If you were going to bring out a new James Bond game, I would use the Splinter Cell series as an inspiration ...
It’s definitely the one I had most memories of playing, but I loved Nightfire and Agent Under Fire back when I was a kid. I also really enjoyed the third person 360 games too.

This remaster though I’m not sure about, it not having full online is a proper misstep and really should have launched with it.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I own the physical disc....I'm SOL.
I have to rebuy Rare Replay digitally to get it free (but RR is not on sale conveniently....still $30)
Cannot but Goldeneye outright.
So, only way to then play it is to pay for Gamepass. That's BS!

This might be the future.........put new games on Gamepass exclusively (like NSO) without an option to buy the game.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Did you do it the first time? The Facility one took me probably hundreds of tries. I don't think I have it in me these days to go for all the unlocks.
I did not. If something is insanely difficult, I may pass on it, and certainly give it a good number of attempts.

Dr.Morris79

Everything you write is the polar opposite of reality. Is this a new fad?

marquimvfs

I see people praising Perfect Dark remake for the 360 a lot o this thread. I saw a cheap used copy today and grabbed it, but I don't have any XBox. Is there a way to play it using an emulator?

Last edited:

dem

Everyones gonna load into this for like 10 minutes...

This shit doesn't hold up guys. Cmon now.

Even back when this was released.. if you had a PC you were already playing Quake and Team Fortress lookin at GoldenEye like

Eddie Murphy Reaction GIF

Last edited:

MacReady13

I own the physical disc....I'm SOL.
I have to rebuy Rare Replay digitally to get it free (but RR is not on sale conveniently....still $30)
Cannot but Goldeneye outright.
So, only way to then play it is to pay for Gamepass. That's BS!

This might be the future.........put new games on Gamepass exclusively (like NSO) without an option to buy the game.
I had a feeling this would be the case. I’m lucky that I have Rare Replay but damn, exclusive to Game Pass and NSO services (minus Rare Replay) is fucking bullshit. So you can pretty much only rent it or get it through another game.

Top Bottom