• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gorilla killed after dragging child at Cincinnati Zoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alomst a week after the Santiago's Metropolitan Zoo incident, there's another case involving a person invading the animals incasement, this time was a 4yr old boy.

A 17-year-old gorilla was shot dead Saturday by a Cincinnati Zoo employee who feared the animal would harm a child who had climbed into its enclosure, according to officials. The 4-year-old boy climbed under a railing and through wires and fell about 10 feet into the enclosure at about 4 p.m., said Cincinnati Zoo director Thayne Maynard.

First responders "witnessed a gorilla who was violently dragging and throwing the child," Cincinnati Fire Department Chief Marc Monahan wrote in a statement.

Once "the threat from the gorilla was neutralized by a Cincinnati Zoo employee with one shot from a long rifle," the child was retrieved and brought to Cincinnati Children's Hospital with serious injuries, the statement said. The child, who has not been identified, remained conscious during the entire incident, which lasted more than 10 minutes, the statement said.

"The zoo's in the business of taking care of endangered animals, and we don't want to be in the situation in which they have to be killed," Maynard said. "But all sorts of things could happen in a situation like that," Maynard said during a news briefing, adding that "the right choice was made."
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...nati-zoo-after-child-climbs-enclosure-n582211

There's a video of the incident.
http://www.wlwt.com/news/video-gorilla-grabs-child-whos-fallen-into-habitat/39774904

- J - D -

Between this and the guy who was mauled by lions, makes me think that zoos should HAVE BETTER RAILINGS/FENCES FOR THEIR ENCLOSURES.

Wolfe

This is unfortunate but a human life is worth more than an animal's. They did what they had to do.

To humans sure.

Edit: not trying to be a dick lol, I actually agree with you it's just blanket statements like that always come off a little odd to me, I'm of the opinion that no life is more "valuable" than anothers but thats just my opinion.

I would have taken the same action against this gorilla, just makes me sad either way.

Asbel

Between this and the guy who was mauled by lions, makes me think that zoos should HAVE BETTER RAILINGS/FENCES FOR THEIR ENCLOSURES.
Yep. This zoo should be sued to shit for allowing a 4 year old to be able to break into an enclosure.

sfedai0

Banned
I blame the parents. Who loses track of their 4 year old. Now a endangered species had to die because of your careless actions.

kswiston

1) How'd the kid fall into an enclosure

2) How'd it take the zoo ten minutes to neutralize the gorilla?

It's hard to make open air zoo exhibits completely impossible to climb into of you are dead set on doing so. That said, I think the Cincinnati Zoo had plans on a major revamp of their gorilla exhibit in the near future. Sad that this happened before then.

As for your second point, zoos are big and officials don't walk around carrying rifles.

Watched the video. The gorilla looks to be protecting the child :-/ It cuts off before any shooting happens, but there was no rough handling of the child at all, it honestly lookedl ike the gorilla was trying to help. Towards the end people start shout that the gorilla is drowning the kid, but at that point everything is out of view and you can't see what's going on.

It's possible it got more aggressive after the video cuts off though, sad for all parties involved though

f0nz0

Stuff like this pisses me off.. where the fuk are the parents , why was the kid not supervised next to an enclosure that obviously was easy for a four year old to climb over.. call cps.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Fuck that kid. What a piece of shit family.
image.php

theWB27

What distracted the parent/s..guardian. ..whoever was supposed to be watching the kid long enough for him to climb through? I mean damn.

To humans sure.

Edit: not trying to be a dick lol, I actually agree with you it's just blanket statements like that always come off a little odd to me, I'm of the opinion that no life is more "valuable" than anothers but thats just my opinion.

I would have taken the same action against this gorilla, just makes me sad either way.

I think the "to humans" is implied, considering it's unlikely a non-human would be reading this thread.

RowdyReverb

Watched the video. The gorilla looks to be protecting the child :-/ It cuts off before any shooting happens, but there was no rough handling of the child at all, it honestly lookedl ike the gorilla was trying to help. Towards the end people start shout that the gorilla is drowning the kid, but at that point everything is out of view and you can't see what's going on.

It's possible it got more aggressive after the video cuts off though, sad for all parties involved though
Kid was hospitalized for his injuries. Maybe the gorilla's intent wasn't to harm, but he sure as shit did

Fat4all

Banned
I think the "to humans" is implied, considering it's unlikely a non-human would be reading this thread.

i take offense

Kid was hospitalized for his injuries. Maybe the gorilla's intent wasn't to harm, but he sure as shit did

It was probably handling it the way it would handle a young gorilla, but at the same time that was obviously hurting the child. Not meant to be handled the same way.

wachie

Fuck that kid. What a piece of shit family.
WTF is this post? As a parent that video is horrifying. I'm glad the kid is OK and sad the gorilla is dead.

The kid did what kids do, explore places without having the knowledge of danger. The gorilla was being a gorilla. I can only blame the parents ans the zoo.

Kinsei

Banned

It states that the more violent parts of the video were cut. Even if the Gorilla was trying to protect the child, it was doing a lot of harm dragging him through the water and very well could have accidentally killed him.

Well the kid also fell into the enclosure which had to hurt a bunch, and any sort of handling from a gorilla is going to hurt a human child some, regardless of intent.

It's odd, though, the gorilla really does seem to be watching out for the kid from what you can see, but I guess things got dangerous later on.

cr0w

Old Member
On the one hand, that gorilla could have torn that kid apart within 10 seconds if he wanted to. He was exhibiting the same protective behavior that we've seen in other gorillas when incidents like this happened.

On the other hand, the video was edited, so the "violent" behavior wasn't shown. I don't know, it's a shit situation all around. I've seen some parents take security at zoos for granted and let their kids climb and run around and do all sorts of shit that could get them into trouble. They think they're more secure than they are and let their guard down.

Hard to say if there was any other way to handle this. I'm still convinced the gorilla didn't mean any harm.

Too bad a gorilla had to die because some stupid parents weren't paying attention to their kid.

What distracted the parent/s..guardian. ..whoever was supposed to be watching the kid long enough for him to climb through? I mean damn.

I blame the parents. Who loses track of their 4 year old. Now a endangered species had to die because of your careless actions.

I just went to Brookfield Zoo today with my wife's family including her sister and 3 kids (plus my own). Zoos are very chaotic. Lots of people walking around. All it takes is 5-10 seconds for a kid to run away.

Don't assume the parents were negligent.

A viewer has shared a video of an incident Saturday at the Cincinnati Zoo that left a child seriously injured and a gorilla shot dead.

WLWT has removed the most graphic portions of this video in which the gorilla dragged the boy through the water.
They removed the part where you would see the gorilla doing something damaging.

Neoxc

Neo Member
This is unfortunate but a human life is worth more than an animal's. They did what they had to do.

I have trouble accepting this sometimes after some recent zoo accidents. I wish there was another way to save the kid and not harm the gorilla at the same time. I hope the kid recovers. :(

You're probably right, but at the same time you gotta imagine at least some of those injuries came from the 10 foot fall. Still, gorillas obviously don't know their own strength compared to humans (especially a baby human), but either way, without seeing more of the video it looks like the gorilla wasn't intentionally being vicious.

I have trouble accepting this sometimes after some recent zoo accidents. I wish there was another way to save the kid and not harm the gorilla at the same time. I hope the kid recovers. :(

There probably is no way. These animals even in captivity are likely still wildly unpredictable. You can't just sit and wait to see if he's going to hurt the kid or protect him. The animal could probably kill a 4 year old in seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom