• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gorilla killed after dragging child at Cincinnati Zoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clockwork5

No- the parents. If they can keep control over their kids, they shouldn't be able to go to zoos. Parent have to take responsibility for the safety of their kids.

If a child is even able to get into the enclosure in the first place the zoo shares a portion of the culpability. I agree that the parents should have never allowed this to happen but the zoo should have never allowed this to happen either.

Zoos shouldn't have existed beyond the Victorian era. We don't have freakshows anymore, we shouldn't have enclosures where people come to stare at "exotic" animals in captivity either.

Don't forget zoos also serve to house injured, abandoned young, or endangered species which wouldn't survive in the wild otherwise. Lots of zoo animals are rescues.

Clockwork5

I'm not a parent, I visited zoos, I've been 4 but my behaviour never forced someone to shoot a gorilla.
If my parents saw that kind of non-existant barrier, they would've told me "Stay close, hold my hand or you'll get slapped".

Harsh maybe, but hey I never got dragged by a fucking gorilla.

"You go in there and that gorilla will kill you." i heard similar things from my father when I was a kid.

Its tragic, and the gorilla would have killed that kid had it not been put down. Sad on both sides, just another example of why we should get rid of zoo's.

I hope the Zoo sue the parents
I hope the zoo looks at their safety measures and updates them a bit so kids can't fall into a cage with wild animals.

The parents are at fault for losing sight of their kid. The zoo is for not having the proper fences and stuff in place.

Losing track of your child once for a few moments makes you a bad parent?

Another glorious thread full of people misremembering what they were like at 4 years old.

No, but ignoring the small child after they say they're going to jump into the pit IS bad parenting.

If your 4 year old had a fork and said "look at me put this in the power outlet", you wouldn't ignore them, would you?

MC Safety

Losing track of your child once for a few moments makes you a bad parent?

Another glorious thread full of people misremembering what they were like at 4 years old.

Honestly, if your lack of attention leads to a child scampering into a gorilla enclosure, you have failed as a parent.

That one instance is absolutely the one a child should be attended to.

No, but ignoring the small child after they say they're going to jump into the pit IS bad parenting.

If your 4 year old had a fork and said "look at me put this in the power outlet", you wouldn't ignore them, would you?

Of course not, but the post I was responding to was talking explicitly about losing track of a child.

Honestly, if your lack of attention leads to a child scampering into a gorilla enclosure, you have failed as a parent.

That one instance is absolutely the one a child should be attended to.

I don't believe that once incident of your child wandering off makes you a bad parent. In this case it ended badly, but it's not evidence of bad parenting.

Why was the gorilla helping the boy get up like that?

Why was he covering him like he was protecting him?

That was way too gentle for the gorilla to be acting if he was going to maul the boy.

I understand why he got shot because of fear for the boy getting mauled or killed by the gorilla, but alI I saw from the gorilla was an instinctual act to protect the kid. Poor gorilla and poor kid to have to go through that. fucking stupid parents idiots of the year. way to get a an innocent life killed

Clockwork5

Why was the gorilla helping the boy get up like that?

Why was he covering him like he was protecting him?

That was way too gentle for the gorilla to be acting if he was going to maul the boy.

I understand why he got shot because of fear for the boy getting mauled or killed by the gorilla, but alI I saw from the gorilla was an instinctual act to protect the kid. Poor gorilla and poor kid to have to go through that. fucking stupid parents idiots of the year. way to get a an innocent life killed
Yes it is quite sad. The gorilla looked protective in what little we see of the 10 minute incident.

what i don't understand in light of the two recent zoo animal deaths; why are fast acting tranquilizers not more readily available? One would think the zoos would have these things as readily available as lethal fire arms.

I mean it took ten minutes. That is an eternity during an emergency such as this.

Yes it is quite sad. The gorilla looked protective in what little we see of the 10 minute incident.

what is don't understand in light of the two recent zoo animal deaths. Why are fast acting tranquilizers not more readily available? One would think the zoos would have these things as readily available as lethal fire arms.

I mean it took ten minutes. That is an eternity during an emergency such as this.

"Fast acting" tranquilizers don't actually exist. That might go a ways toward explaining why they weren't readily available.

Dunlop

Horrible situation but holy fuck at the parent or crazier yet child blaming.

This situation could have occurred over seconds.

Dad that the gorilla is dead but there is also a 4 year old that is seriously hurt at the moment

Makki

Hope the parents get a gigantic bill slapped on them for the cost to not only dispose of this poor gorilla, but also to pay for the raising of another one.

THEaaron

Capture animal. Build fence around animal. Human gets in because no one really takes care. Animal gets killed.

This is just sad. Boy got to be saved, that's for sure. But the whole situation is really fucked up.

botty

Banned
Poor Gorilla. Awful, terrible parents.

Horrible situation but holy fuck at the parent or crazier yet child blaming.

This situation could have occurred over seconds.

Dad that the gorilla is dead but there is also a 4 year old that is seriously hurt at the moment

Remove the Gorilla from the equation and the child would have still been injured because of negligence by the Parents. I don't see why blaming them is crazy. The child blaming is a bit much, though.

So if the child had jumped over the railing and then fallen to his death, not having an interaction with the Gorilla, would the Zoo still by at complete fault by some people in this thread? Just curious.

This is a great question right here. How far does the zoo have to go to stop people from deliberately breaking into their exhibits? I've been to the Cincinnati zoo many times, and if you gave a 4 year old me 5 unsupervised minutes, I could find a way to get myself into pretty much all of the open-air enclosures. I'm of the mind that you can't completely account for deliberate behavior like this. There is a reason this is the only incident like this in the zoo's history. It took the perfect storm of a really shitty parent and a *gasp* shittier-than-average kid for this tragedy to happen.

Azuran

Banned
This thread taught me that there's so many ignorant people here about the modern functions of zoos.

If you want to stop zoos then please get China to stop killing stuff so they can get bigger dicks.

man fuck these parents. "Zoo's are chaotic, it only takes a second to lose track of your child!" isn't a good enough excuse at a zoo or anywhere else. what would the parents say if they "lost track" of their kid and a child predator abducted and murdered the kid? "welp the zoo was chaotic and we lost track, what could we do!?"

so the parents are pieces of shit but with that said it should be impossible for a 4 year old to get into that enclosure so the zoo fucked up too

MC Safety

I don't believe that once incident of your child wandering off makes you a bad parent. In this case it ended badly, but it's not evidence of bad parenting.

You said that already. Saying it twice doesn't make you right either time.

The kid made it through a fence he should have been told was off limits and got through bushes he never should have been allowed to touch, let alone enter and cross.

braves01

Banned
This is why they make leashes for children. If parents dont have the skills or willingness to properly control their children, the children should be on a harness, period. I agree the gorilla needed to be shot, but blame lies mostly with the parents and also the zoo to a lesser extent for not idiot-proofing the enclosure.

Clockwork5

"Fast acting" tranquilizers don't actually exist. That might go a ways toward explaining why they weren't readily available.
Yeah, you are right. The dead lion thread had zoo officials saying that fast acting tranquilizers were not readily available.

I just looked it up. Even those can take several minutes to sedate the animal.

Thanks for the correction.

Floody

what i don't understand in light of the two recent zoo animal deaths; why are fast acting tranquilizers not more readily available? One would think the zoos would have these things as readily available as lethal fire arms.

Tranquilizers can take several minutes to be fully effective and when the animal feels the drug start to kick in they get worried and can become more aggressive. The Zoo probably didn't want to risk him killing the boy.

Really sad story all round.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
How do people who don't watch or give a shit about their kids still have them? The news title should be Gorilla shot and killed because kids parents weren't watching him. Ugh. Hopefully the kid is alright but man, some people should not breed if they can't be bothered to pay attention to their kids.

2MF

unfuckingbelievable

HAYd27b.png

So the kid went under this metal railing with "securtiy ropes", through the bushes and fell into the fake river.

Seriously... is this real life?

Given this picture, I now think the zoo should be charged for both the kid's accident and the gorilla's death. The only surprising thing here is this didn't happen before.

Squalor

Bystanders didn't help the situation with their constant high-pitched shrieking and wailing.

Dumbasses.

"Oh no, something bad happened. Let me stand here and scream and watch it."

Seriously... is this real life?

Given this picture, I now think the zoo should be charged for both the kid's accident and the gorilla's death. The only surprising thing here is this didn't happen before.

Forget about a willful attempt to get into the enclosure. Someone could trip and fall over a 3 foot tall railing like it wasn't even there.

You said that already. Saying it twice doesn't make you right either time.

The kid made it through a fence he should have been told was off limits and got through bushes he never should have been allowed to touch, let alone enter and cross.

I am right though. One instance of losing track of your child does not make you a bad parent. If it did, every parent would be a bad parent.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Its amazing I have a son and he won't be falling into a pit with a gorilla. I find that fact that it happened in the first place disturbing.

You say that. Did you see the barrier in the pictures? A determined kid could get through that in a few seconds, if that. You might even be watching your kid and they'd be down there if you were unlucky and didn't react fast enough. Unless you have your kid on a harness everywhere, these things happen - even to the best parents. Three-year-olds are not known for their sense of self-preservation.

Maybe if the parents had a track record on this, you could blame them. As it is, a single slip-up is effectively unavoidable if you parent long enough unless you take such restrictive measures of your children you probably do more harm than good. If it doesn't ever happen to you, just thanks your blessed luck.

You say that. Did you see the barrier in the pictures? A determined kid could get through that in a few seconds, if that. You might even be watching your kid and they'd be down there if you were unlucky and didn't react fast enough. Unless you have your kid on a harness everywhere, these things happen - even to the best parents. Three-year-olds are not known for their sense of self-preservation.

Maybe if the parents had a track record on this, you could blame them. As it is, a single slip-up is effectively unavoidable if you parent long enough unless you take such restrictive measures of your children you probably do more harm than good. If it doesn't ever happen to you, just thanks your blessed luck.

if the kid randomly runs out into the middle of the street and gets hit by a car are you going to say "those poor parents, what could they do!"

why did they shoot the gorilla?! he seemed friendly.

And if the next second he wasn't being friendly? Do you want to be that guy that has to live with himself letting a kid get ripped apart because he made the wrong decision.

Whoever the shot was needs congratulating.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
if the kid randomly runs out into the middle of the street and gets hit by a car are you going to say "those poor parents, what could they do!"

sometimes, yes. unless you're suggesting that literally every car accident involving a child is the parent's fault? which would be a monstrously unconscionable stance that would condemn innocent parents who have already suffered a greater tragedy than I hope you or I would ever come to know.

again, this is not to suggest that parents are *never* culpable. But absent a poor track record, a single case is not enough to say they did worse than any other parent would have done in that situation. Life is just cruel and unfair sometimes.

why did they shoot the gorilla?! he seemed friendly.

And if the next second he wasn't being friendly? Do you want to be that guy that has to live with himself letting a kid get ripped apart because he made the wrong decision and let it play out.

Whoever the shot was needs congratulating.

Edit: double post

old

Exhibit has been open for 38 years and millions of visitors without issue. Hope the parents pay dearly.

Should be a law that says if you break into a critically endangered animal's enclosure, adult or kid, it's life comes before yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom