• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Free ultra car, a lightning fast and fun Seasonal and $5,000,000 credits? I think I love you Polyphony, all over again.

As a mostly casual player I would never have unlocked a beast anything near this, and have never broken more than 1.3 million in credits at a time. This is a breath of fresh air and a perfect setup for Spec 2.

Its good to be back :)

NullPointer said:
Free ultra car, a lightning fast and fun Seasonal and $5,000,000 credits? I think I love you Polyphony, all over again.

As a mostly casual player I would never have unlocked a beast anything near this, and have never broken more than 1.3 million in credits at a time. This is a breath of fresh air and a perfect setup for Spec 2.

Its good to be back :)

Wait, where do I go to get a free 5 mill in credits? The seasonal?

Wow just tired the Red Bull car. Insanely fast. Is the wheel supposed to shake so much though? I got the gold after only a few tries, a little too easy. Also I ranked I think 60 thousand something, or maybe it was 600 thousand. Either way I suck.

DonMigs85

My GT5 disc actually developed a couple hairline scratches from wiping with a soft cloth :(
I hope it doesn't affect any data loading...

spec II is almost here.

I hope PD release a new trailer for it.

and separate trailers for the car, the track and the driver suit DLC packs.

I want to see a slick as shit racing suit trailer.

Mush

I just had a quick skim through the old GT5 pre-release thread where everyone (myself included) was on knife-edge waiting for any scrap of news they could get.

Good times, good times.

Kolgar

So for the Vettel challenge, do you have to win gold for anything to count?

I've run lap times good enough to get silver but I don't get any payout afterward.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Kolgar said:
So for the Vettel challenge, do you have to win gold for anything to count?

I've run lap times good enough to get silver but I don't get any payout afterward.
Log out from the event and you'll get the money.

Thanks to that Vettel payout I got myself a shiny nice Lamborghini Gallardo, a McLaren F1 and my favorite new acquisition, the Pagani Zonda. Man oh man that Zonda is good.

I almost forgot how good the driving was in this game.

after several spin outs and crashes I got a 1:26.056 which broke my little heart. (gold is 1:26:00).

took a few goes but I got the gold in the end. I was getting near the time but wasn't quite making it but eventually got a good slap and a 1:21 which was a good 5 seconds faster then my normal

the X1 sure is a beast to handle on the dual shock. I eventually went for automatic gears because I couldnt be arsed.

Dead Man

funkystudent said:
after several spin outs and crashes I got a 1:26.056 which broke my little heart. (gold is 1:26:00).

took a few goes but I got the gold in the end. I was getting near the time but wasn't quite making it but eventually got a good slap and a 1:21 which was a good 5 seconds faster then my normal

the X1 sure is a beast to handle on the dual shock. I eventually went for automatic gears because I couldnt be arsed.
You were driving it with manual gears? You are a better man than me. I cannot drive that thing with a DS3.

Angst

funkystudent said:
Ill totally have to jump into one of these races you guys have once spec II is out.

I have never played GT5 online so it should be interesting.
Please do. We'll have a celebratory event on Tuesday in the GT5NRL lounge, so if you want to join us send a friend request now.

Mush

The wait is killing me :(

I'd be able to sit still if I knew if it was coming out tomorrow in future world or a day later.

Dead Man

S. L. said:
ahhh some "free" money at the vettel event, time to buy some of those LMP beauties at the online store

thanks!, i'm riding now in the +5 to +10 height area which does wonders for the handling on the ring for me. i can now actually touch the kerbs without spin or hectic correction maneuvers >_<
My pleasure, hope it helped, I think you were mostly there anyway!

amar212

Mush said:
The wait is killing me :(

I'd be able to sit still if I knew if it was coming out tomorrow in future world or a day later.

What baffles me is how there is no announcement of Spec 2.0 on the official frontpage. Prior to this, every big functional update was announced on the main banner.

I know how X1 event gets full attention at this point, but I was really expecting to have some Spec 2 info or banner at least today early in the morning.

However, judging from the previous experience, at this point we should be around 18 hours from deploying Spec 2.0.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
My first full lap round on the seasonal event came in at 1:14:843.

But why does it not tell you there is a max limit on money, I was generally saving it up and it only gave me 2 million of the 5 because I was already at 18, but I quit out and it doesn't seem to have counted.
Though to me it seems silly to limit to so little have when cars cost tens of millions.

Angst

funkystudent said:
randomness. The remix to that wezzer song in GT5p was pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uILynSpZzZY

youtube the original version... its literally the dullest thing in the world.

I wonder if the spec II will have a new intro and a new music track. Probably not. it will probably have a short intro of a truck dropping off the new GTR or something.
One of the changes outlined is actually a new intro. I think that makes a new music track for the intro pretty much a given as well.

amar212

Angst said:
One of the changes outlined is actually a new intro. I think that makes a new music track for the intro pretty much a given as well.

We really need Moon Over the Castle.

Ditching it out of the US/EU version in order to promote that horror of song has to be one of the most ignorant moves from SCEA and SCEE producers of the game. I can understand the need to promote important Sony BGM band, but completely removing MOTC from the soundtrack - which has never happen before GT5 - is really unbelievable ignorance.

Despite the new intro song, I really hope we will get original GT5 Moon Over the Castle in the library.

Angst

amar212 said:
We really need Moon Over the Castle.

Ditching it out of the US/EU version in order to promote that horror of song has to be one of the most ignorant moves from SCEA and SCEE producers of the game. I can understand the need to promote important Sony BGM band, but completely removing MOTC from the soundtrack - which has never happen before GT5 - is really unbelievable ignorance.

Despite the new intro song, I really hope we will get original GT5 Moon Over the Castle in the library.
Perhaps we will get "Moon over the Castle, reinterpreted by Justin Bieber"?

offshore

We shouldn't be surprised by the terrible music choices. I still can't understand why SCEE gave us that God awful remix of Favourite Game...

Alright guys, lvl 8 Classic Muscle Car Championship. Which car should I get?

The Camaro Z28
The Challenger R/T
The Mustang Mach 1
The Corvette C3

I used the Mach 1 the last time, but this time I want to use different cars in A-Spec.

e: And I have 6M credits right now. Any rare car I should buy that I'll absolutely need later on? The Toyota 7 is in the UCD.

magawolaz

I think that in the new intro we'll have some sort of preview of the DLCs, since this image

is tagged as "GT5 2.0 Opening Movie" and if I am not mistaken Kaz didn't said on twitter that those cars were in Spec II.

brotkasten, the Toyota 7 will be useful in the Historic Cup on Expert level, but I'm sure you already knew that.
EDIT: but amar is right, I forgot you can win that car in B-spec.

EDIT2: wow @ the crap on the FvsGT thread ._.

amar212

brotkasten said:
Alright guys, lvl 8 Classic Muscle Car Championship. Which car should I get?

The Camaro Z28
The Challenger R/T
The Mustang Mach 1
The Corvette C3

I used the Mach 1 the last time, but this time I want to use different cars in A-Spec.

e: And I have 6M credits right now. Any rare car I should buy that I'll absolutely need later on? The Toyota 7 is in the UCD.

Don't buy Toyota 7.

Complexion Route for A/BSpec high level races

B-Spec Amateur NR-A Roadster Cup: Mazda Furai Concept’08 > use it for:
A-spec Like the Wind: Toyota Minolta > use it for:
B-spec Like the Wind: Toyota 7 > use it for:
A-Spec & B-Spec: Historic Cup > done.

As for Muscle cars, Challenger R/T '70 is a great choice because you can perform a RM on it later (maybe you can enter with RM model, but it will kill all the challenge). Also, you'll need new gearbox immediately, since default one is 4-gears only and it is heavy rev-limited. However, be prepared on some serious gear-grinding noise for gearbox-change :)

magawolaz said:
..is tagged as "GT5 2.0 Opening Movie" and if I am not mistaken Kaz didn't said on twitter that those cars were in Spec II.

Those are not new cars. Those are usual Dealership models (already in the game, each one of them - GT-R, old Gt-R, RX-7 and Subaru WRX) with performed Racing Modification procedure. However, those cars couldn't be Racing Modificated in current version of the game. So, *maybe* we're getting additional RM procedures with 2.0 or those RM procedures will be tied to DLC (which I don't believe).

Also, it is safe to say how Kazunori didn't cover all news in his "15 bullets Twitter tsunami" so RM could be one of the things that will come with the update. Knowing how RM process for more cars was very high on GTP's Feedback forum - and Kaz clearly said how this update tackles wishes of GT5 active players - my presumption is that we can excpet more RM-able models tomorrow morning.

amar212 said:
Don't buy Toyota 7.

Complexion Route for A/BSpec high level races

B-Spec Amateur NR-A Roadster Cup: Mazda Furai Concept’08 > use it for:
A-spec Like the Wind: Toyota Minolta > use it for:
B-spec Like the Wind: Toyota 7 > use it for:
A-Spec & B-Spec: Historic Cup > done.

As for Muscle cars, Challenger R/T '70 is a great choice because you can perform a RM on it later (maybe you can enter with RM model, but it will kill all the challenge). Also, you'll need new gearbox immediately, since default one is 4-gears only and it is heavy rev-limited. However, be prepared on some serious gear-grinding noise for gearbox-change :)
Thanks Amar. I wanted to avoid B-Spec this time, but I guess I'll have to go through it. Any tips for a good, balanced driver? What stats should he have?

I know that you have to change at least the gearbox and the suspension. It's a muscle car after all. :)

magawolaz

amar212 said:
Those are not new cars. Those are usual Dealership models (already in the game, each one of them - GT-R, old Gt-R, RX-7 and Subaru WRX) with performed Racing Modification procedure. However, those cars couldn't be Racing Modificated in current version of the game. So, *maybe* we're getting additional RM procedures with 2.0 or those RM procedures will be tied to DLC (which I don't believe).

Also, it is safe to say how Kazunori didn't cover all news in his "15 bullets Twitter tsunami" so RM could be one of the things that will come with the update. Knowing how RM process for more cars was very high on GTP's Feedback forum - and Kaz clearly said how this update tackles wishes of GT5 active players - my presumption is that we can excpet more RM-able models tomorrow morning.
Even better, that means brand new cars :D

amar212

brotkasten said:
Thanks Amar. I wanted to avoid B-Spec this time, but I guess I'll have to go through it. Any tips for a good, balanced driver? What stats should he have?

I hope you have some at least LV20 driver for MX-5 races, but higher-powered Miata could make it easier if you don't want to delicately manage him through race.

As for other races, you can go the safe-side and enable TCS on cars you're going to use in B-Spec and avoid nasty spins if you have low-LV drivers.

On the third issue, you can do few remote races with your B-Spec bob while making sandwiches and stuff and he'll rise very fast. Remote Races are heaven for no-brain B-Spec leveling.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Is it worth getting either the F2007 or F10 '10?
I'd kinda like an F1 car, but I'm not sure if there is much to do with them.

I have 18 million sitting around and I'm not sure what to spend it on, and seeing as I will be playing some more after Spec II comes out I might as well buy something now before I hit the limit again.

amar212

CorrisD said:
Is it worth getting either the F2007 or F10 '10?
I'd kinda like an F1 car, but I'm not sure if there is much to do with them.

There is special Seasonal Event with great 10-lap races for Ferrari F1 cars (both model are eligible). You can't really make for an investment in one go, but if you spend some time to race those events (you can race them multiple times) you will bring back your investment soon.

Also notice how AI is very good in those F1 races, they show very small amounts of handicap when overtaking them. I really love those races.

Also, you can play on the safe side and wait to see will the Spec 2.0 update bring the current triple-payouts from Seasonals back to normal. If you see how payouts are still tripled (you get around 500.000 Cr per one F1 10-lap race) buy yourself an F1 and enjoy it as much as you can.

amar212 said:
I hope you have some at least LV20 driver for MX-5 races, but higher-powered Miata could make it easier if you don't want to delicately manage him through race.

As for other races, you can go the safe-side and enable TCS on cars you're going to use in B-Spec and avoid nasty spins if you have low-LV drivers.

On the third issue, you can do few remote races with your B-Spec bob while making sandwiches and stuff and he'll rise very fast. Remote Races are heaven for no-brain B-Spec leveling.
My save was killed last week and I didn't even bother to create a new driver. :lol

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
amar212 said:
There is special Seasonal Event with great 10-lap races for Ferrari F1 cars (both model are eligible). You can't really make for an investment in one go, but if you spend some time to race those events (you can race them multiple times) you will bring back your investment soon.

Also notice how AI is very good in those F1 races, they show very small amounts of handicap when overtaking them. I really love those races.

Also, you can play on the safe side and wait to see will the Spec 2.0 update bring the current triple-payouts from Seasonals back to normal. If you see how payouts are still tripled (you get around 500.000 Cr per one F1 10-lap race) buy yourself an F1 and enjoy it as much as you can.

I don't mind spending the 10/12 million on one of them, I'm not even sure what I was saving the money up for at this point, it has been a few months since I last played.
And I didn't know the seasonal events were paying out triple, that is nice, I could probably make a good bit back by tomorrow ready for Spec II.

Though in all truthfulness I know little about cars in general and only picked up GT5 last year because I wanted to see what it was like, my favourite part of the game is just turning all the UI off and driving around the Nurburgring while the time changes.
Which of the two F1 cars is the better? the stats aren't on their dealer page and I know little to nothing about F1 cars in the first place, lol.

amar212

brotkasten said:
My save was killed last week and I didn't even bother to create a new driver. :lol

Remote Races are your best friend than ;)

Only notice how running Remote Races does not contribute to "Career" aspect of your BBob (Carrer is only gained through ordinary B-Spec), but all other stats are increased accordingly to his skill level.

Radec

I just hit 1"24 and I haven't receive any prize. :/

I've exit the race and in the pre-race screen my record is still --/--/--

Will I get an indication when I got the gold award?

I miss my wheel :(

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Radec said:
I just hit 1"24 and I haven't receive any prize. :/

I've exit the race and in the pre-race screen my record is still --/--/--

Will I get an indication when I got the gold award?

I miss my wheel :(

Yes, at the bottom left (same pop up that says "invalid lap") when you finish the lap it will tell you that you got Gold and completed it.

Did you drive over the grass or anything before starting the lap, maybe you accidentally invalidated the lap before starting, also if the time at the center top turns red it doesn't count iirc.

Radec

CorrisD said:
Yes, at the bottom left (same pop up that says "invalid lap") when you finish the lap it will tell you that you got Gold and completed it.

Did you drive over the grass or anything before starting the lap, maybe you accidentally invalidated the lap before starting, also if the time at the center top turns red it doesn't count iirc.

I've noticed that Invalid Lap message so I retried the race and made sure that I didn't touch that area before the starting line. :/

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Radec said:
I've noticed that Invalid Lap message so I retried the race and made sure that I didn't touch that area before the starting line. :/

Hmm, I don't know then, best to try again I guess.
My two times of the lap are 1:14 and 1:16, and I'm pretty bad at driving games, so keep at it!

Top Bottom