• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

They're probably going to be removing some of the "Confirm" actions. That would speed up the menus. They've also said that they're worked on the loading.

offshore

brotkasten said:
It would be great if we could skip the animation when you buy a car.
And the engine overhaul animation.

And the car rigidity animation.

And the painting animation.

And the oil change animation.

And the RM animation...

spats

offshore said:

And the RM animation...

I like those. I do that stuff so seldom compared to buying cars that none of them have ever bothered me. The car buying animation gets a bit grating though. They kind of fixed it in a patch some months ago so that the dialog screen pops up much earlier if you keep hitting x - you can get back to the menu even before the car turns the headlights on. It's still not optimal though.

amar212

offshore said:

And the RM animation...

I do not agree.

I agree how getting into GT Auto section could be faster - that is 5 seconds loading, but we became very spoiled I presume - but I am 100% against removing those animations.

They are part of the overall atmosphere where you're taking care of the real car and part of the unique Ownership/Maintenance philosophy of GT series.

Removing them would just ruin that atmosphere. You bought a car, wait for delivery. You want to paint it? wait for a second and enjoy in process. Want to RM-it? Wait for a second and enjoy in results that will come after the animation. Same for every" ownership/maintenance" animation.

I love those animations and I hope they'll expand them in the future. Since GT2 - when actual "days" become more prominent in the core-gameplay -I am wondering about the system where you can't really get your back back instantly. Like, if you want to do some tuning, you have to leave your car for a day-two (process-dependable) and come back to pick it up when those in-game days pass.

For GT5 you could get your car from carwash or oil change instantly, but if you want to do painting, a tuning of some part, some overhaul or RM process, you have to "leave" the car (game prompts you to choose another from the garage) and after some in-game days have passed (by racing races and such), you get your vehicle back from the process.

I am really a great fan of complete Ownership/Maintenance philosophy and would really love to see it drastically enhanced. Also, it is the most unique part of Gran Turismo series and it is really beautiful to enjoy in it if you accept it as a way to portray small-scale consequences of having a vehicle in the virtual form.

offshore said:

And the RM animation...

For some dumb reason, I like the painting animation, even though it's more suited for something like Mario Kart. It's probably because their's so little in terms of exterior customization that it makes me think, "well, at least there's the paint thing."

tusken77

amar212 said:
I do not agree.

I agree how getting into GT Auto section could be faster - that is 5 seconds loading, but we became very spoiled I presume - but I am 100% against removing those animations.

They are part of the overall atmosphere where you're taking care of the real car and part of the unique Ownership/Maintenance philosophy of GT series.

Removing them would just ruin that atmosphere. You bought a car, wait for delivery. You want to paint it? wait for a second and enjoy in process. Want to RM-it? Wait for a second and enjoy in results that will come after the animation. Same for every" ownership/maintenance" animation.

I love those animations and I hope they'll expand them in the future. Since GT2 - when actual "days" become more prominent in the core-gameplay -I am wondering about the system where you can't really get your back back instantly. Like, if you want to do some tuning, you have to leave your car for a day-two (process-dependable) and come back to pick it up when those in-game days pass.

For GT5 you could get your car from carwash or oil change instantly, but if you want to do painting, a tuning of some part, some overhaul or RM process, you have to "leave" the car (game prompts you to choose another from the garage) and after some in-game days have passed (by racing races and such), you get your vehicle back from the process.

I am really a great fan of complete Ownership/Maintenance philosophy and would really love to see it drastically enhanced. Also, it is the most unique part of Gran Turismo series and it is really beautiful to enjoy in it if you accept it as a way to portray small-scale consequences of having a vehicle in the virtual form.

Great post. Absolutely agree. It's all part of GT's special atmosphere, character and charm. I hope they don't tinker with GT Life too much for Spec 2.0. I'd welcome any expanded animations that make your actions that little bit more rewarding.

Seeing as the track pack will be paid DLC do you think we will get completely new tracks to the GT franchise, classics in HD or both? Personally I would love some classic tracks but I hope we get some new tracks.
Would also love PD to include night racing at Suzuka, Fuji, Monza or the Nurburgring GP circuit with an update, theres currently no race circuits ( apart from the lengthy le mans and full Nurburgring ) with night driving in GT.

amar212 said:
I do not agree.

I'm not saying they should take them out, but I find them annoying and I don't want to see and hear them every time.

Also, I have a hard time to feel any ownership for the cars in GT5, simply because I can not customize them enough. My old R32 was the only car in the game where I felt that I kinda owned it, because I spent some time tinkering with it. The menus, animations or the "atmosphere" had nothing to do with it.

I'm watching the Formula 1 race right now and let the PS3 update GT5 in the background and just when I turned around to see how far the updates are, the screen turned black. My controller still connects, but I don't see or hear anything.

Can someone hold my hand?

I had to remove the HDMI cable and plug it in again. Weird.

Radec

Dash Kappei said:
How much time do I have to get the Red Bull still?

I saw until 10/16/2011 to get this bad boy.

6226705655_9d691253b7_b.jpg

Dibbz

^

X1

fap_fap_face_by_nadonncia-d3hm3l4.jpg

EDIT:- BTW I was thinking today and is there some sort of exclusivity deal in place with Ferrari to say they are the only manufacturer in GT5 to have their F1 car? I mean I honestly do not see why we would not have a Red Bull by now and the only explanation I can think of is Ferrari got in first and said no other F1 cars are allowed in.

With the collaboration between PD and RB on the X1 it just screams out that they were not allowed to put their F1 cars into GT5 because Ferrari put a clause in their agreement saying so.

offshore

Dibbz said:
EDIT:- BTW I was thinking today and is there some sort of exclusivity deal in place with Ferrari to say they are the only manufacturer in GT5 to have their F1 car? I mean I honestly do not see why we would not have a Red Bull by now and the only explanation I can think of is Ferrari got in first and said no other F1 cars are allowed in.
It's to do with some agreement between Ferrari/F1 whereby Ferrari can license their F1 cars as they please, whereas all other F1 cars can only appear in F1-licensed games and can't be individually licensed by the manufacturer.

offshore said:
It's to do with some agreement between Ferrari/F1 whereby Ferrari can license their F1 cars as they please, whereas all other F1 cars can only appear in F1-licensed games and can't be individually licensed by the manufacturer.

Sigh...

I guess PD will never get a shot at other F1 cars then. That license is apparently ridiculously expensive.

amar212

SolidSnakex said:
Sigh...

I guess PD will never get a shot at other F1 cars then. That license is apparently ridiculously expensive.

Codemasters had to negotiate for more than 15 million dollars per season when Sony declined continuation of Bernie generous "offer" to prolong the license in 2008.

I don't see a way to negotiate anything at this point, because from this January Bernie finally established the final move of his business career, greatest than all other he ever done, and he done many of crazy deals for his favor - Formula One World Championship Ltd. company took over the all commercial rights for the F1 sport for next 100 years from FIA.

The new rules introduce a separation of commercial and regulatory activities in motor sport, which FIA intends to make effective, inter alia, through the appointment as from 2010 of a "commercial rights holder" for 100 years, for each of the FIA Formula One and FIA World Rally Championships, in exchange of one-off fixed fee, payable at the outset.

Basically, Bernie - or better to say Slavica and her daughters Petra and Tamara with still unborn grandchildren - will be in control of the F1 sport for the next century as long as commercial rights are in question.

Basically:

sebastian-vettel-and-bernie-ecclestone-gallery.jpg

Dibbz

offshore said:
:(

Well PD can maybe get some old F1 cars right? Didn't GT4 have some?

amar212 said:
Codemasters had to negotiate for more than 15 million dollars per season when Sony declined continuation of Bernie generous "offer" to prolong the license in 2008.

I don't see a way to negotiate anything at this point, because from this January Bernie finally established the final move of his business career, greatest than all other he ever done, and he done many of crazy deals for his favor - Formula One World Championship Ltd. company took over the all commercial rights for the F1 sport for next 100 years from FIA.

More than 15m for the license? Sony was insane for even paying that to begin with. Do F1 games even sell enough to justify such a pricetag?

Anyway, I guess PD can continue to work with Red Bull in other ways. Couldn't they have Newey design a F1 car for them?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
SolidSnakex said:
More than 15m for the license? Sony was insane for even paying that to begin with. Do F1 games even sell enough to justify such a pricetag?
I remember Sony was dissatisfied with the increase in costs for the deal (with the governing body). Codemasters got the license in 2008. I don't think PS3/PS2/PSP were enough at that stage to break even, so that's why they let it go.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
What with the update system here? I am trying to updates now before the Spec II update hit since it will most likely be huge.

so yeah I am trying to update, there are like 4 but every time after I download the first one( 380MB one) it give me error then instead of continue to other updates I return to download the damn first one, tried 6 times ( bye bye bandwidth cap) and every time the same damn thing.

Radec

Totobeni said:
What with the update system here? I am trying to updates now before the Spec II update hit since it will most likely be huge.

so yeah I am trying to update, there are like 4 but every time after I download the first one( 380MB one) it give me error then instead of continue to other updates I return to download the damn first one, tried 6 times ( bye bye bandwidth cap) and every time the same damn thing.

Use PSN Download Manager.

You can download almost anything from the PS3 using your PC. Then when the download completes, you can transfer it to your PS3 easily.

Just google it.

Coming back to the "feeling of ownership" or the lack of it in GT5.

As some of you know, I'm playing the game from the beginning, because my HDD crashed and I lost my save. I'm still pretty low in A-Spec, doing some races here and there, but I'm basically waiting for Spec II.

After some grind races, the '71 280Z finally showed up in the used car dealer.
"Yay, my favorite car for the Japanese classic races!", except that it's not "my" car.

This is how the car looks like

3Bfw2.jpg

And this is how my car would look like

4LT4L.jpg

I can change the colors and put some airplane wing on the back, but that's it. And since it's only a standard car, I can't even change the damn rims, ffs! I thought I own the car? Buying cars in GT feels more like renting them for life.

I was hoping PD would have made the Gran Turismo Formula car a premium model, and then you can have colours that resemble the real F1 cars. Or if a livery editor was ever implemented someone can recreate the liveries

The Stealth Fox

Is it possible for Polyphony Digital to give us an option that reduces the smoke effects so we don't have to do deal with the alpha garbage?

I was wondering if this is possible to do through a patch. I wonder if people have requested it through GT planet, since Kaz listens to them.

offshore

For all the problems with the alpha, I think we can all agree that on PS4 they should remarkable. The amount of work PD have put into the rain effects is particularly impressive...it's just a shame there's no real power left. On PS4 though they should look glorious.

offshore said:
For all the problems with the alpha, I think we can all agree that on PS4 they should remarkable. The amount of work PD have put into the rain effects is particularly impressive...it's just a shame there's no real power left. On PS4 though they should look glorious.

Yep, the most important thing is that the ground work is there for them going into the PS4. They know how to do rain, snow and day/night cycles. I remember Kaz mentioning that they were having to experiment with doing all of those things for the PS3, so it obviously took them a lot of time to figure out how to do it. That won't be an issue next gen.

KingDizzi

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I wouldn't expect any future GT games to be announced until Sony has a good idea of when it's going to be released.

If PS3 assets are pretty easy to use on Vita one would hope we get GT Vita within the next two years and that's assuming a very small number of the total staff work on the game. The track and car assets from GT5 could be used and all that would be left would be PD crafting out new A and B spec. Online also already seems pretty good.

Any guesses on what the cars and tracks will be in the DLC?

S. L.

ahhh some "free" money at the vettel event, time to buy some of those LMP beauties at the online store

Dead Man said:
I've played around with it a bit, here's what I like. I am using Racing softs though, so it might be masking some negative handling.

Ride height +5 +5
Springs 15.0 14.0
Damper compression 5 5
Camber 3.0 3.5

I left everything else default. Hope it helps!

thanks!, i'm riding now in the +5 to +10 height area which does wonders for the handling on the ring for me. i can now actually touch the kerbs without spin or hectic correction maneuvers >_<

amar212

Metalmurphy said:
Well that was easier then expected :p
gmRwb.jpg

X2010 Seasonal.
I'm guessing all you guys didn't even try hard.

Murph, who is "nabijemte" Croatian guy on that list of yours?

This ID of his is pretty much hillarious :D

Top Bottom