• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 |OT| Hitting the Apex

mortal

Banned
1997-2022

FNAnxvSXwAE0at3
FNAnxvSXEAEnKUu

Last edited:

skit_data

Having a blast so far, downloaded it at mid night and at 7am I realized I had been playing non stop and had to go to bed (had a day off).

Really like the cafe and missions. Driving feels great! GT is back!

Celcius

°Temp. member
Wow, this game is everything I hoped it would be. I skipped GT Sport so my last one was GT6 and the graphics are leagues better. Plus having no loading times is really nice as well. I probably spent an hour watching the city scape scenes… the Toyota Prius has never looked so good. I can see myself spending a lot of time in this one. Really glad that I took next week off from work!

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
The way the cars handle is the biggest improvement for me. Each car has its own character and they feel different to each other which was what I didn't like about GTS they all felt a bit numb especially in cockpit view. I now find myself playing in cockpit view, feels a lot better. You can feel when your on the edge a lot better where as GTS felt very arcade to me at times.
Also cars sound a lot better and obviously the loading.

Big thumbs up from me.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I love all the sounds and details. Even the menu sounds are fantastic for example, that sound when you level up your Collector Level is so satisfying.

Got off work and played a few hours, then switched to Elden Ring for a bit and then did a few more races before calling it a night. A good day indeed.

Outlier

Ok, so just had a proper 4 hours with the game and so far I did the basic tutorials and just got my IA license. ^_^ Will do the S license tomorrow maybe. I'm exhausted and my fingers are cramping from clutching the controller so hard. XD

Much better experience than yesterday, thanks to the adjustable options I was hoping for.
Haven't done a proper race (outside of the tutorial races), but so far this is the GT experience I came to expect.

Graphics and sounds are not blowing me away, but it's all very good.
The presentation and music is PDs BEST, so far. Top notch!
Tried ray-tracing mode. Will NOT enable it again. 60 FPS has spoiled everything I look at in games now.
The load times make waiting a thing of the past! 10/10

For those who haven't done the licenses yet here's the prizes you're missing out on:

NB
Clio R.S. 220 Trophy '16
GTO Twin Turbo '91

NA
Scirocco R '10
BRZ STI Sport '18

IB
GR Supra Race Car '19
Taycan Turbo S '19

IA
86 Gr.B Rally Car
A110 '17

It's easier than it seems to beat these tests. Just think of them as physics puzzles and you'll get them!

So far the game is getting a (y) from me. Had me on edge for the last few hours. :)

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Yep. It sucks you have to look at it's jagged shadows and edges on a screen that big, but it's an upgraded PS4 game, so maybe they'll do better for a native title.

I like how it looks but clearly this game is rooted in last-gen technology.

I was driving during early morning hours on Tokyo Expressway when my wifu entered the room. She said "this doesn't look like a new game at all, other games you played recently looked more impressive".

Last edited:
While the World Map mode is bizarrely weird in a good way since it feels so different to anything else and is distinctly Japanese (lots of non-voiced text and an odd Cafe system with "menus" you select for race events), the actual racing itself is absolutely stunning.

Played about 5 hours of the game on PS5 last night and while I'm not keen on races having rolling starts (I guess it means events start quicker), I think the handling of the cars is brilliant and the visuals are stunning, almost photo-realistic which helps immerse me on the game in the cockpit view in a way that few other racing games have. The lighting is amazing and enhanced by the best HDR implementation in a game to date. The audio, the car noises and even the music are just the icing on the cake as are the impressively fast loading times which make what would otherwise would have been a clunky menu system a joy to navigate as you are never waiting more than 2-4 seconds for anything to load, even the tracks.

And did I mention the replays? I have the RT mode enabled and I am finding myself wanting to view the replays post race because they look so damn good. Polyphony Digital know how to make interesting replays unlike Turn 10 who continue to get their replay cameras wrong every game to the point where they might as well just remove replays because they're so dull to watch. In my opinion, ahem.

One thing I don't like in GT7 though is the chase camera view which looks odd compared with other racing games as it is too static and makes the game feel less enjoyable to play from that angle. You can tweak the camera but nothing I did resolved the stiffness of the camera, especially when cornering. This is something I feel the developers have not improved on since GT Sport and the previous games. I played an hour of GRID (2019) on my PS5 after GT7 and its chase camera is just leagues better in my view. Still, the cockpit view is nigh on perfect and by far the best and most immersive way to play GT7 anyway.

Another minor gripe is the A.I. It is mostly fine but I'd swear there's some rubberbanding going on as the game starts off very easy - on intermediate difficulty I was coming first in every race - but then I noticed that as my Car Collector Level increased that I was struggling to reach third place then fourth even though my car's PP level was way higher than the recommended one for the event. The car was clearly too slow for the events and I had no chance of catching up with the rest of the pack leading despite racing perfectly with no crashes or collisions. Maybe it is just me but I feel that is a bit unfair and means that I have to keep redoing races with different vehicles or upgrading them, adding to a progressively more grindy feel to the game (which, no doubt, accounts for why the obnoxious micro-transactions are there?). It doesn't help that there is no qualifying laps or grid starts either, at least so far, which seems strange for a game that is subtitled "the real driving simulator". I always thought the rolling starts were added to the PS3 games because the console wasn't powerful enough to handle all the cars on the starting grid at the same time but that surely isn't an issue for the mighty PS5?

Overall, this is a great game despite my negative comments. It isn't as rewarding or as accessible as, say, GRID or Forza Motorsport 7 but it excels in the on-the-track racing (for the most part) and offers a visually splendid game that puts everything else to shame.

Last edited:

DJ12

I was thinking about buying this today, always been a big fan of GT

Just watched this review

How much worse does the game look on this video vs the actual game running on an OLED?

Watching that YouTube video on my TV makes it look like a PS3 game.

Roll back on the hyperbole. FFS.

It looks great on my Samsung qn95a.

Easily the best looking car game I've ever played. Forza horizon has better environments, but it's not a patch on this for car details or racing enjoyment.

First game cockpit view has been a must for me. I'll take the slower laptimes for how good it looks.

Last edited:

begotten

As someone who doesn't play racing games, doesn't own a gaming wheel AND isn't a big fan of cars in general, would anyone recommend this? I have a bit of an interest in it, but I'm not really sure.

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
As someone who doesn't play racing games, doesn't own a gaming wheel AND isn't a big fan of cars in general, would anyone recommend this? I have a bit of an interest in it, but I'm not really sure.
Doesn't really sounds like you want to play it and that we should talk you into this.

Where does this "bit" of interest come from? Just so that we know what you like about the game.

sncvsrtoip

My first impressions. Graphics defenitly improvement vs gtsport but still crossgen especialy in terms on env. quality, also shadow drawing line too visible and low res. reflections on car. Rt mode can looks worse than performance in garage as is more noisy. But have to say in some camera angles and lighting condition game can looks quite photorealistic. Sound is much better. Weather system is as briliant as they marketed (dynamic, dry lines). Dynamic day time is very good with beautiful lighting. Singleplayer campaign is very rich in content and good progression feeling. Trial Mountain - only track with 3d trees is beautiful ;d Physics is completely new and pushed even more in full sim direction. Much improvement in suspension, kerbs behaviour, contact physics, slipstream strength is more realistic. But there is one big problem I hope will be adjusted - some cars are way to oversteery on corner exit and really hard to drive. Weight transfer is also too sensitive. Other problem are hilarious jumps on rally tracks (tough generaly rally is improved). Blocking multiplayer in grinding singleplayer is little problematic, also tuning available in multiplayer is not best idea (at least not for all races). Game needs defenitely some adjustments but if pd do it will be brilliant.

Last edited:

begotten

Doesn't really sounds like you want to play it and that we should talk you into this.

Where does this "bit" of interest come from? Just so that we know what you like about the game.

Just from what I've seen I like how cozy the gameplay looks and it looks nice, I've only ever played racing games like Midnight Club LA and Burnout, they were just okay to me so I'm not sure if I'd be more suited to or worse off playing a more realistic game.

TheAssist

I didnt think Id be interested in GT 7 but seeing how this is so much about the actual cars and the people who makes them (and not just the racing in a circle) I think I'll buy my first GT since GT4.

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Just from what I've seen I like how cozy the gameplay looks and it looks nice, I've only ever played racing games like Midnight Club LA and Burnout, they were just okay to me so I'm not sure if I'd be more suited to or worse off playing a more realistic game.
Here the fun comes from learning how to handle a car and the ultimate satisfaction from mastering individual cars and tracks. Midnight Club and Burnout are rooting their fun differently. I say don't buy or like DJ12 DJ12 said wait for a sale.
Should I just try GT Sport then?
If you get it cheap this would be a first test for you.

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

I'm still a bit confused about the process of buying cars. So not all are available at brand central and some have to be bought through the used car dealership which is ever changing?

Markio128

Gold Member
Wow, the pre-race flyover of Alsace at night is mesmerising! I’ve probably spent more time watching these and replays than racing. Currently in love with my upgraded Mini Cooper - my parents first ever car!

Found it! Man GT7 Is going to consume my life like there's no tomorrow. My storage is going to be at full capacity soon since I can't seem to stop saving replays

Last edited:

Markio128

Gold Member
Dude the graphic - esp. lighting and car interior - looks so good on my tv its unreal. Videos on youtube doesnt do it just ice at all. I'm switching between elden ring and gt and difference between image quality is day and night lmao, everything is so clean in gt.
I actually said ‘whoa!’ out loud when I was racing at Alsace during the night and I could see the illumination of the headlights of the car behind me pouring into my cockpit view. The lighting in this game is tremendous.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Played it for 6h straight yesterday, and it plays, looks and sounds beautiful. It has a few missing and irritating things that i would like them to fix or change but that doesn't take away how good this game is. I play the game on its hardest difficulty with all the assist off and got gold on all license test outside the last chapter (not started yet) and also finished nr1 on all races in the cafe missions till chapter 13. I play the game with everything off (expect the timer only on license test) and the immersion and sense of speed in the cockpit view is leagues above any GT before this. Even when going 150km/h it feels really fast, unlike GTS where 300km/h felt like 50km/h.

k0PvqyX.jpg

I like how it looks but clearly this game is rooted in last-gen technology.

I was driving during early morning hours on Tokyo Expressway when my wifu entered the room. She said "this doesn't look like a new game at all, other games you played recently looked more impressive".
I bet that's what she said. 😏

Top Bottom