• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.
DenogginizerOS said:
It depends on how bad they want to give up Metal Gear Solid 4, GT5, Final Fantasy XIII, and perhaps Resistance 2. It also depends on how much the DLC for the X360 version adds to the overall GTA IV experience.

And don't call me, Shirley.

Unfortunately, because Microsoft is spending millions to promote the X360 version of GTA IV as being the superior version, there are two versions of this game. I don't care about the DLC as much as I care about having a fun game that runs smoothly on the system I prefer to play it on.

As far as GTA IV is concerned as a game, I am really interested to see how Rockstar makes this game more than GTA HD. I love the dialog in these games and the production values. Do we know yet who the voice actors are?

Only speculation, so far. Kyle MacLachlan was pegged by some as a possibility, but no one knows for sure.

Also, if Gears is announced next week, there's a game for the opposite side of that equation in the first paragraph. I don't doubt MS knows they need to have more compelling exclusive content to woo those who have yet to jump into Next Gen. It's why I'm sure they wish it really had come out in October 2007.

Mindlog

/zoidberg sighz, always with the dick waving, always with the console dick waving

If I were Rockstar I'd dedicate a radio station to you assholes. Sheepnerd 101.5 or something.

Darkman M

Madman said:
So can one of you guys contact me when the stupid system wars shit it out of the thread and people get back to talking about the game?

Hahah you knew it was inevitable, some of these people are pathetic plain and simple, and it's always the same guys for the most part.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Having just watched Eastern Promises, my interest in GTA IV has increased significantly. There are so many elements of the Russian mob that could make for an interesting game. Perhaps we will see some of the voice talent from that movie. John Malkovich would be great revising his roll from Rounders.

Another aspect of GTA IV I am interested in is how well the game handles aiming. I would love a RE4/Gears over-the-shoulder aiming mechanism. Maybe a cover system for sniping, ambushing, firefights; etc.

The Chef

Wollan said:
GTA4 is like quad damage and there are opponents on each side trying to get to it first.

:lol

Im not too up on the current news so I could be wrong, but it seems like Sony isn't doing a damn thing about GTA. MS on the other hand seems to be filling the internet with promotions and special deals to get you to buy it for 360. But then again I could be retarded

bluheim said:
In the US, without a doubt : there are 2,5-3x more 360 sold than PS3. But I expect the PS3 sale numbers to explode when the game launch. And in Europe, this is not even funny : the PS3 will go through the roof.

In Europe Assassins Creed and Call of Duty 4 did very well on both consoles, but in the end the 360 versions sold more. So we do have a pretty good precedent, especially if MS actually makes a strong advertising push and gives a 360 price cut. Europeans aren't stupid people who buy Sony products "just because" they do it because Sony has actively done a better job at developing games that appeal to them, and has tried harder than MS at advertising. If MS is able to control GTA IV's advertising in Europe it will probably walk over the PS3 version.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
GenericPseudonym said:
In Europe Assassins Creed and Call of Duty 4 did very well on both consoles, but in the end the 360 versions sold more. So we do have a pretty good precedent, especially if MS actually makes a strong advertising push and gives a 360 price cut.

Wait, I thought in Europe AC sold more on the PS3. That's what EGM says anyways.

bluheim

Banned
InterMoniker said:
Crazy.

I wonder how Sony will be able to compete with Msoft's advertising for the ps3 version.

They won't. Microsoft will put billions for TV spot and PS2 owners will go and buy PS3 and GTA IV. Sony could probably thanks Microsoft for the free advertisment, but they are bastards, I'm sure they'll keep the money and fund Uncharted 2.

Wollan

The Chef said:

Im not too up on the current news so I could be wrong, but it seems like Sony isn't doing a damn thing about GTA. MS on the other hand seems to be filling the internet with promotions and special deals to get you to buy it for 360. But then again I could be retarded

So far Sony have been resting on their laurels in regards to it. They have some exclusive deals apparantly but it doesn't matter much if they don't bring them into the light. What they do have though is Gran Turismo 5 P a few weeks a head and most likely Metal Gear Solid 4 a few weeks after so they have a excellent wave of games.

MS is giving it all to promote and focus on GTA4 in a big way.

bluheim said:
They won't. Microsoft will put billions for TV spot and PS2 owners will go and buy PS3 and GTA IV.
This isn't a given. I already know several people that in the last months went from PS2 to Xbox 360, and I live in Sonyland, Italy.

bluheim said:
They won't. Microsoft will put billions for TV spot and PS2 owners will go and buy PS3 and GTA IV. Sony could probably thanks Microsoft for the free advertisment, but they are bastards, I'm sure they'll keep the money and fund Uncharted 2.

It's nice you have such awesome proof. But then agin I've read your posts before and I'm not surprised that you say such stupid things.

Doc Evils

The Chef said:

That is an interesting point. I do wonder what Sony is upto.

Doc Evils said:
That is an interesting point. I do wonder what Sony is upto.
If rumors are right, Microsoft has an advertising deal with Rockstar for exclusively promoting the game as an Xbox 360 title. If it's true, Sony won't be able to do much. And yes, hardcore gamers know that the game will be on PS3 too, but obviously MS will be aiming to all the people that will know of the game through the generic media and after the ads will think it's an Xbox 360 only title.

X26

Banned
Spider_Jerusalem said:
If rumors are right, Microsoft has an advertising deal with Rockstar for exclusively promoting the game as an Xbox 360 title. If it's true, Sony won't be able to do much. And yes, hardcore gamers know that the game will be on PS3 too, but obviously MS will be aiming to all the people that will know of the game through the generic media and after the ads will think it's an Xbox 360 only title.

I have a hard time believing R* would make such a stupid deal

Dabanton

X26 said:
I have a hard time believing R* would make such a stupid deal

The rumors were MS are co marketing with R* like you'll see the 360 logo at the end of the tv ad's like BO:p and AC showed the PS3 logo.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Anyways...

You know, I'm so glad that Rockstar isn't the kind to plaster Liberty City with BK ads and Mountain Dew cars. It doesn't bother me much when other games do it, but when you have a city that's purely original with it's own brand of companies, I dunno, it just makes it feel that much more immersive.

C4Lukins

bishoptl said:
I don't watch Lost so I don't know what this means, luckily for you. :p

I just jumped in, I did not notice how heated it had become in here. I will run and hide now to a safer corner of the Internets.

X26

Banned
HolyStar said:
You mean you have a hard time believing that R* likes money?

That's exactly why they wouldn't do it. They didn't make the PS3 verison just for fun, they want as many PS3 owners as possible to buy it. If they had a deal with MS where every GTA4 TV ad, magazine ad, and any other form of advertising was branded with the 360 logo only it might hurt overall sales.

Having deals with MS is one thing, complete advertising exclusivity is another

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
X26 said:
That's exactly why they wouldn't do it. They didn't make the PS3 verison just for fun, they want as many PS3 owners as possible to buy it. If they had a deal with MS where every GTA4 TV ad, magazine ad, and any other form of advertising was branded with the 360 logo only it might hurt overall sales.

Tell that to the shit ton of games this gen that have already had exclusive advertising deals and still sold amazingly.

squatingyeti said:
Tell that to the shit ton of games this gen that have already had exclusive advertising deals and still sold amazingly.

Such as Assassin's Creed, Madden 08, and Burnout Paradise.

It's an extraordinarily common practice, this just happens to be the largest scale game it's ever been tried with.

X26 said:

As people already told, this isn't absolutely an uncommon practice. Ubisoft had such a deal with Sony, and you would argue that they'd want to sell to Xbox 360 too, seen that it was the console with the biggest installed base.

However, we'll see. I really can't wait to put my hands on this monster :D

Spider_Jerusalem said:
As people already told, this isn't absolutely an uncommon practice. Ubisoft had such a deal with Sony, and you would argue that they'd want to sell to Xbox 360 too, seen that it was the console with the biggest installed base.

However, we'll see. I really can't wait to put my hands on this monster :D

Seriously. Every day I pass the Beer Garden I'm like "I get to shoot people RIGHT THERE in like sixty days!!"

I'm typing this from jail, by the way.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
X26 said:

I don't know about exclusivity but read this and come to your own conclusion

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9133&Itemid=2

Do you think Xbox 360 will go back to topping the PS3 on a monthly basis starting in February or March?

I hate to predict, but I certainly believe that once we get the supply out there, with the demand continuing, that we’d certainly hope for the 360 to get back into its pre-holiday rhythm. We’ve got a lot of marketing muscle behind products like Grand Theft Auto IV, and we certainly plan to have consoles on shelves available when that game launches, so that there are no supply issues by that point in time.

We believe that the value-add of having additional premium content for Grand Theft Auto on our box will certainly be a sales driver for the console. … Once we get units out there, we’re confident the momentum will continue.

Just one of a few interviews that say they have marketing going behind it.

Crusade

I don't think Sony will sit on their hands and let MS take just about every square advantage with GTAIV possible. I mean they are the same Sony that courted Rockstar with multi-million dollar (time)exclusitivity deals last gen multiple times. Are they really having such little involvement with a company and game they have such good history with?

RBH

bishoptl said:
that's it!
Crusade
Banned
(Today, 12:00 PM)
Reply | Quote

bish_blksnkstare.jpg

MMaRsu

bishoptl said:
Saint's Row is still unoriginal tosh.

What is your problem with Saint's Row by the way? You're allways 'bashing' it.
It's a decent game, and alot of people enjoyed it.

Would you like it if I constantly said Gta was pure shit?
Like in every other Gta/SR thread that exists?

Tiduz

Eurogaime
old?

The Microsoft Gamerscoreblog has posted up a picture which shows that their very own Nelson Rodriguez looks remarkably similar to somebody who is wanted in GTA IV due to assault with a deadly weapon.

2q99l6r.jpg

MMaRsu said:

He also hates Red Faction.

WrikaWrek

Banned
bishoptl said:
that's it!

Watch out the guy has a piece!

MMaRsu said:

Well i think Saints Row is a good game, but it's still...it feels like a total rip off, and it has this weird white gangsta shit feeling going on i don't know, like a bad john cena movie.

Socreges

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Surely there are plenty of PS2 owners who are saving for GTA IV and a new 360 as well. There's no way that what you described is the only split. Cost > Brand Loyalty, by and large.
Yeah, I loved my PS2, but ultimately went with the 360 (first). I know of a few people that have done the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom