• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.
proposition said:
One thing that's always kind of annoyed me about GTA trailers is that they never actually show the gameplay. You always see some pretty scenes from the game and maybe a couple of gameplay sequences with a detached floating camera and no hud but never what you'll see when you're actually playing.

It's no different from most games today. They want their trailers to have a cinematic look, so even with gameplay scenes they'll cut it so that it fits in with all the cutscenes they're showing.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
BobFromPikeCreek said:
I just jizzed so hard. I've wanted this since before GTA 3. SA kinda had that, but it was really weak having to share a screen.
Really? That honestly sounds like the most inane "feature" I've heard so far.

FAKE EDIT: OK, so it actually would be interesting to be able to explore the city with anothr person with no real goals or objectives to speak of. The way it was described, as driving around listening to music, sounded pretty weak.

Ranger X

I know he wasn't flying the plane but driving some car. Just thinking maybe there's more aircrafts presence than we think. Well, i sure hope there is some dodo-like plane that is semi-flying as a kind of secret like in GTA3. Admit that it would be awesome.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
anachronous_one said:

FAKE EDIT: OK, so it actually would be interesting to be able to explore the city with anothr person with no real goals or objectives to speak of. The way it was described, as driving around listening to music, sounded pretty weak.
Im pretty sure you'll be able to beat people up and whatnot...

Bizzyb

Banned
deejay8595 said:
Confirmed GGOAT!!!...All I ever wanted in any GTA game on the console....

you know, you could already do that in San Andreas. Although it was limited to local play, and the camera would only follow one player. Still, it's not entirely new to the franchise

anachronous_one said:

I think the point of what he said was that you can connect together in multiplayer without having some particular game mode forced upon you.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Septimus said:
Sounds awesome, but does that mean there'll be like.. 50,000 Nikos?

If it is like Liberty City Stories, I bet you will be able to select different character models for multiplayer.

Tr4nce said:
* On the subject of multiplayer... Houser wasn't able to go into much detail, but he did mention being able to get together online in the game with no other goal other than to use it as a meeting place: "I'll meet you in a car and we'll hang and just drive and listen to music, chilling in the car, with your 3D model sat next to me," he says.

Multiplayer is good for me now automatically. I'd love more than 2 players online to share this aspect though, and I'm sure Rockstar will be giving us other competitive modes, but just this simple thing speaks volumes to me.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Tr4nce said:
* On the subject of multiplayer... Houser wasn't able to go into much detail, but he did mention being able to get together online in the game with no other goal other than to use it as a meeting place: "I'll meet you in a car and we'll hang and just drive and listen to music, chilling in the car, with your 3D model sat next to me," he says.

Kinda like Home, but in a whole city! :D

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Tr4nce said:
GTA4.net has some new info. The new info is from a 16 page GTA Special/Preview from Edge Magazine and someone from the forums over there posted the following:

http://www.gta4.net/news/index.php

* In GTA IV there are strip joints and, more unexpectedly, comedy clubs, which have been incorporated in a manner that is "enough to make your head spin." Edge aren't allowed to say anything else about it at the moment.

* Jets and planes fly through the airport, and have visible pilots inside them. The tester drove alongside a jet, only to have a 4-star wanted level appear!

* One encounter face-to-face with a cop got the response: "I'm a cop... and you're a dickhead!"

* The car paint jobs are noticable from newer cars being gleaming and spotless, to old cars being rusted and dull.

* Bulletholes and dirt are permanent on cars.

* Interior walls can be greatly damaged, "ripping chunks out of the plaster with gunfire."

This is a great idea. :D next month, next month:D

Ballistics said:
Or like say every online game ever. Online coop is just team deathmatch.

I don't think so. Online co-op is playing through the story with another individual by means of the internet. Team deathmatch is killing a team of other individuals in a match, hence the name. Unless this whole next gen/this gen jargon has me all messed up......

kylej

Banned
Bulletholes are permanent on cars? Eagerly awaiting someone outlining anime people with bulletholes on the hood of a car.

newsguy

kylej said:
Bulletholes are permanent on cars? Eagerly awaiting someone outlining anime people with bulletholes on the hood of a car.

By the time they're on the second tentacle the car will have exploded.

What's the first thing everyone will do as soon as they are able to run the streets of Liberty City?

I think I'll punch the shit out of a car until it catches fire. So many good things can come from that.

zaidr

Well, that sound more like the SA variant of multiplayer co-op than Crackdown's, since theres nothing indicating you can actually play the story missions with another player by your side. Its just everything else you can do in a GTA game (outside of story missions) that you get to share with another player. Not as full featured as Crackdown, but I guess the greater involvement in the story and attention to narrative won't allow for two Niko's running around.

I'd have loved for Co-op to be melded into the story somehow, like Gears having a player (Dom) dedicated for Co-op, but I guess that would limit the story.

Tr4nce said:

Oh good lord this needs to be elaborated upon. All I want in multiplayer is just to go around the city with someone else causing mischief. No story has to be involved.

I said this - "This has been in previews, complaining that the background is blurred...WTF??? Go now to the window and see how far you can see...does it not blur at a certain distance? Yes, it does! How would it be realistic if everything was in focus?"

And the reply I got was :-
dejay said:
Actually no, not really; on a clear day everything is sharp. Perhaps you need glasses.

The blurring in GTA IV is part of the LOD system and they use it because it allows them to have greater draw distances without resorting to even uglier graphical compromises like fog.

So your eyes allow you to see at great distances, without any blurring??? And no I have perfect 20/20 vision, thank you very much.
And anyway my example is a bad one. This is a third person game and it's a cinematic game, so it's going to have depth of field. If everything on screen was in focus there would be no sense of distance because perspective won't create that alone. One of the screen shots has water in the foreground and buildings in the background, the buildings are blurred, which makes them whiter but the water reflects them as darker. If it was a forced graphical affect, the water would reflect the same as the background. But it doesn't, it reflects from the point where the water meets the background. Our depth of field in the game can't see what the water sees (reflects) but we can see the water. It's not a graphical affect, it's a perfect game engine.

I don't have a GNVQ in Art & Design for nothing ;) :D The lighting in this game is fantasticola, and that's a word I use on very special occasions. :lol

Mr. Sam

got2bekidding said:
What's the first thing everyone will do as soon as they are able to run the streets of Liberty City?

I think I'll punch the shit out of a car until it catches fire. So many good things can come from that.

I'll steal a car quietly and obey the law of the road. Always more fun and satisfying than running down pedestrians. Looking forward to see how any altered mechanics will effect car chases - hoping that the old "hit a ramp and sail to safety while the cops scream into a brick wall" technique still works.

zaidr

got2bekidding said:

I hope that isn't possible

Synless

Grimm Fandango said:
Oh good lord this needs to be elaborated upon. All I want in multiplayer is just to go around the city with someone else causing mischief. No story has to be involved.
All I wanted was co-op.......don't think I'll be getting it though.

Coop has its place depending on the games. The things I love about GTA really can't be replicated for coop unless you go back to N64 era coop where there is story coop, but the second player is literally a clone of the main character or someone pointless. I'm fine with just driving around doing deathmatches against other players or roaming around the city with a pal trying to evade 4 star wanted levels all day.

For full fledged story coop, I'm really looking forward to Saints Row 2. Which it will work much better in anyway due to a story designed around coop and the ability to customize your own characters.

kylej

Banned
got2bekidding said:

Find a bike and do wheelies and endos with it, like I did for 100 hours with the PCJ in Vice City :) I love the bike physics in GTA.

I'll be interested to see what Euphoria brings to the game too.

Mr. Sam said:
I'll steal a car quietly and obey the law of the road. Always more fun and satisfying than running down pedestrians. Looking forward to see how any altered mechanics will effect car chases - hoping that the old "hit a ramp and sail to safety while the cops scream into a brick wall" technique still works.

I agree with you in that doing things "right" in GTA games is very satisfying. There are reasons behind why I would want to do something so out of the ordinary right off the bat though. I want to see an explosion for one, would doesn't? The crowd's reactions and comments are another thing I'm looking for. What will that first crazy one-liner that you will hear be? Also if all goes not so well, I'll receive a wanted level and get to try out this new system they have implemented.

After that, it's all business. :D

kylej said:
Find a bike and do wheelies and endos with it, like I did for 100 hours with the PCJ in Vice City :) I love the bike physics in GTA.

I'll be interested to see what Euphoria brings to the game too.

As soon as I see one, I'm grabbing a bike also. Ever since Vice City my garages have been full of PCJ's. lol

got2bekidding said:

Run around a few blocks to see the atmosphere, maybe punch a pedestrian or two. Just swallow everything up basically. I generally don't start getting nuts until after my first mission :).

got2bekidding said:

I don't think you'll be able to punch a car until it catches fire anymore.

What I'm going to do is, ever since I saw one of the first photos I've wanted to just stand down by the harbor and just look at city from a far :) Watch the water catch the sunlight in it's icey glaze and see it ripple as a tug boat steams past with a fishman inspecting his nets. And as it gets darker, I'll watch the lights of the skyscrapers come on, one by one (even though it's the night and surely that many people wouldn't be working :D ) and then back off again. Then I'd wait for Mr Fishman to go back out and soon as he does, I'll get in my car.........and run over everyone I see :lol "I like these calm little moments before the storm, it remains me of Beethoven"

I don't know if this has been discussed, but any word on R* fixing the 'same car' syndrome, where most of the cars you encounter on the road are the same type of car that you are driving?

That was always my biggest pet peeve about the GTA games, and from GTA3, through every 3d game to GTA VCS, it's never been fixed.

I just wanted to start some speculation on the comedy clubs, I think there is a reason Edge has been told to be quiet on the subject.

I bet they are part of the online multiplayer, and that you can go onto XBOX Live and perform at a comedy club.. and get boo'd off, or applauded based on a real life audience.

Moderation unlimited.

Mr. Sam

Visualante said:
I just wanted to start some speculation on the comedy clubs, I think there is a reason Edge has been told to be quiet on the subject.

I bet they are part of the online multiplayer, and that you can go onto XBOX Live and perform at a comedy club.. and get boo'd off, or applauded based on a real life audience.

Moderation unlimited.

Even though my poor internet service wouldn't allow me to experience that, it does sound awesome. Isn't it a bit far away from the main game though? Well, I guess that's why they call them mini-games.

Tr4nce

Visualante said:

Moderation unlimited.

I don't think this is going to happen. It has nothing more to do with GTA that way, in my opinion.

Chris R

I just hope that they tightened up the police AI. If I'm next to a cop car, run a red light, I'd like atleast a single star please :(

Visualante said:

Moderation unlimited.

If they are not part of the online multiplayer and is just single player, I wonder if they will benefit you in some way (i.e. pay 'n spray takes away your wanted level). Maybe they will just be a time waster since the missions seem to be taking a more scheduled type of experience with some missions beginning on a certain day.

Mr. Sam

got2bekidding said:
If they are not part of the online multiplayer and is just single player, I wonder if they will benefit you in some way (i.e. pay 'n spray takes away your wanted level). Maybe they will just be a time waster since the missions seem to be taking a more scheduled type of experience with some missions beginning on a certain day.

I thought it was just a way to socialize with your associates?

rhfb said:
I just hope that they tightened up the police AI. If I'm next to a cop car, run a red light, I'd like atleast a single star please :(

It would be interesting to implement traffic tickets, or even a step further nice and mean cops.

Example: You run a light and a cop starts to chase you. IF you decide to take the chance, you can pull over. Nice cop pulls you over after you run a light and just gives you a ticket. Same situation, bad cop pulls you over but he wants to get you out the car to search it and you.

Edit: Or maybe some mini-game to sway the cops attitude towards you to either be lenient or lay the law down.

Tr4nce

rhfb said:

Yeah me too. I am currently playing San Andreas again and there are a few things which really annoy me about the police AI. The main thing is that they did not help me out when I got shot at, they just walk along or run away. Also, when they are in a fight with some random NPC's and I try to help them by punching the bad guy, they suddenly want to arrest me. That is just stupid.

Kuran

Banned
Tr4nce said:
Yeah me too. I am currently playing San Andreas again and there are a few things which really annoy me about the police AI. The main thing is that they did not help me out when I got shot at, they just walk along or run away. Also, when they are in a fight with some random NPC's and I try to help them by punching the bad guy, they suddenly want to arrest me. That is just stupid.

Sounds realistic to me!

Goldrusher

Tr4nce said:

Read this:
We're by the quayside in Algonquin, eager to test out the new fighting mechanics (hold X to block, O to kick, square for punch and triangle for power moves like head butts), when we spot an angry-looking biker sporting a bomber jacket and handlebar 'tache. Naturally, we push him (you can shove through crowds, like in Assassin's Creed, by pressing O), and he recoils, before fronting up. We connect a few punches, before he staggers back and pulls a knife. Rule one: knife beats fist. Rule two: look before you punch. The quayside is full of bikers, and we're surrounded by about ten angry foes. Brave as lions, we run (speed tap X to sprint - you don't seem to get tired like previous games).
After pushing through a tunnel, we spot a cop on the main road. "This might be good news", pipes our Rockstar rep - and he's right. The cop points his gun at the biker who's chasing (as far as he knows) an innocent civilian. Without warning - pop, pop - the bikers's dead. "Didn't expect that", offers our Rockstar rep, genuinely surprised. Pedestrians scatter and, as we scramble to steal the first available vehicle - just our luck, a crummy Faggio scooter - we accidentally run over another cop. 20 seconds later, we're being chased by three squad cars and a gang of bikers.
(PSM3 preview)

And this:
"One of my favourite songs was on the radio while two cop cars were chasing me through Chinatown. Suddenly, another car rammed me, and I was flying through the windshield. I ducked into cover and could still hear the song playing from my car. The cops opened fire, but hit a pedestrian who pulled out his gun. Suddenly, there's a full scale war between a random gang and the cops, letting me escape"
(Dan Houser in PSM3)

RBH

MrCompletely said:
can you shoot a comedian in the face is if he's not funny?
spade-big.jpg

justshootme.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom