• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.
GTA is turning into Madden for me - every new game I say "I'm not buying it, I'm not buying it, I'm not buying it.....I bought it." I finally stopped buying Madden a couple years ago, but GTA4 is sounding too enticing to pass on.

Defcon

Banned
King_Slender said:
GTA is turning into Madden for me - every new game I say "I'm not buying it, I'm not buying it, I'm not buying it.....I bought it." I finally stopped buying Madden a couple years ago, but GTA4 is sounding too enticing to pass on.

Yeah, same feelings here. To be fair though, GTA IV is the first "real" sequel since III. Vice City and San Andreas were shitty expansions.

dejay

Banned
I'm hoping the introduction and possibly mandatory first mission aren't too long in this game - I'd prefer to have a stroll around the neighbourhood first and just check things out before getting into the game. I'm wondering if Niko or Roman will drive home from the docks.

(edit)

Defcon said:
To be fair though, GTA IV is the first "real" sequel since III. Vice City and San Andreas were shitty expansions.

Blasphemy! All were awesome in their own ways, but GTA III was special to me because it was the first one that gave me the feeling of interacting in a living city - I could play by the rules or I could go mental and pay the consequences.

kylej

Banned
Defcon said:
Vice City and San Andreas were shitty expansions.

40205airball.gif

Defcon said:
Yeah, same feelings here. To be fair though, GTA IV is the first "real" sequel since III. Vice City and San Andreas were shitty expansions.

Do you know how many developers who'd give anything to make something as "shitty" as those expansions?

King_Slender said:
I understand this sentiment for Madden games, but GTA games? Sequels rarely have half the new content that Vice City and San Andreas did.

raYne

BobFromPikeCreek said:
I understand this sentiment for Madden games, but GTA games? Sequels rarely have half the new content that Vice City and San Andreas did.
That, and it's not like GTA games come out yearly.

Who really cares whether the graphics are mind-blowing or merely a-ok? This is GTA IV, after all. I would put much more emphasis on the script, the physics engine ( which seems to rock, by the way ) and the design of the city itself.

If it is as fun as it seems to be.. Well, I am not going to get swayed by a couple of 'shitty' trees. The game looks phenomenal in motion anyway.

Lé Blade Runner said:
Who really cares whether the graphics are mind-blowing or merely a-ok? This is GTA IV, after all. I would put much more emphasis on the script, the physics engine ( which seems to rock, by the way ) and the design of the city itself.

The script is suppose to be awesome. EGM was gushing over it and talking about how they couldn't wait to find out what happens to Niko as they already like him.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
BobFromPikeCreek said:
I think I'm going to buy the two Stories games to tide me over. How comparable in content are they to the real GTAs? Are the PS2 ports ok?

I think they are as good as GTA3 and VC honestly.

Amir0x

Banned
i've already started masturbating

what is the record for a masturbation session? It's a long time until April, so maybe I'd secure it

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Defcon said:
I didn't play Vice City, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like SA.

womfalcs3

Banned
I pre-ordered this game... I've been a huge GTA fan since they went 3D (basically last generation with III).

I'm going to spend hours in the beginning just familiarizing myself with the city and all the new features a new generation of hardware brings with the game. Then I'll dive into the missions.

They say all missions will take about 100 hours to complete on average. With all the non-mission relating I usually do in this game, it will require much more for me to complete. Especially if the online component is good.

Coincidentally, the last day of classes for me is April 28th, and a week or so later, I will have graduated. So this game's timing is awesome. I'll have a great amount of time playing it.

dejay

Banned
I can't wait to see what the achievements are. I'm not into points at all and only go after what I think are worthwhile achievements in some games, but I'm expecting some really humorous stuff and no doubt I'll have fun getting most of them.

I'm also hoping that they retain and expand on all the statistics in the game and that they present them in a much better fashion than just scrolling through one long list. The viewable statistics are one of my favourite features from the series.

newsguy

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Oh boy. Awesome.

Be warned, some of the VC stories missions are odd. The difficulty is insane on a few of them for no particular reason. I hated VC stories because of this, LCS FTW.

Mindlog

Normally I like jogging through the single player by myself to get a feel for the game and the story.

However, with this game I'm 99% sure I'll start with multiplayer if simply for the fact that I'll probably be getting/sending a lot of friend requests to join games. I wonder how that will work with getting the full effect of the story.

deepbrown

Goldrusher said:
The trees look great...

1236z5f.jpg
And which screen is the newest - and it doesn't mean you can just ignore the pic I posted, like it's somehow an unofficial screen I made up. What about the resolution on that car and it's mirror....

TBH GTA4 is gonna be all about the art style, and not the graphics.

Mr. Sam

SapientWolf said:
I didn't play Vice City, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like SA.

You really missed out on Vice City, probably my favourite GTA and perhaps game ever. I didn't like SA either but if that game is either of "shitty" or "expansion", a good sequel would be fucking mind-blowng! GTA sequels seemingly aren't like ordinary sequels, 'cos there are sequels and then there are next gen sequels. My prediction? They'll be releasing GTAV on the PS4 and Xbox 720.

Raiden

Banned
Im really struggling which version to get, i dont like playing GTA with an Xbox controller(GTA double pack)

I really liked San Andreas allot on PS2, but this stupid DLC and those damn achievements are pulling me towards the 360 version :(

Mr. Sam

Goddamnit, no console wars! Whichever version you're gonna get, it's gonna make next to no difference, except maybe the episodic content coming out on Xbox Live. But I'm not sure if the PS3 is getting a similar deal. I don't have Live though. Fucking Virgin Media, I'm going to gut Richard Branson.

Ugh, I hate defending the 360, even though I'm the owner of one. Makes me feel dirty.

Anyway, no console wars!!

Raiden

Banned
Mr. Sam said:
Goddamnit, no console wars! Whichever version you're gonna get, it's gonna make next to no difference, except maybe the episodic content coming out on Xbox Live. But I'm not sure if the PS3 is getting a similar deal. I don't have Live though. Fucking Virgin Media, I'm going to gut Richard Branson.

Ugh, I hate defending the 360, even though I'm the owner of one. Makes me feel dirty.

Anyway, no console wars!!

Wow dude seriously take it easy, mind that with comments like this you're more likely to start and endless dumb flamewar then mine.

Mr. Sam

You seem to have misinterpreted how I was saying something. I wasn't being the least bit aggressive, I was more joking than anything.

dejay

Banned
Raiden said:
Im really struggling which version to get, i dont like playing GTA with an Xbox controller(GTA double pack)

I really liked San Andreas allot on PS2, but this stupid DLC and those damn achievements are pulling me towards the 360 version :(

Keep in mind that even though there will be a 'classic' control method available, the game is being designed with a new control method in mind, so what you know as the GTA experience may not be applicable, as far as controller input goes anyway.

The two controller issues I see are a lack of pressure sensitive face buttons on the 360 if you're going to use the classic control method and the PS3's sub-par triggers if you're going to use the new control method.

painey

Its a monumental day for me... I took down the only poster I have ever had in my bedroom, a Green Day poster, and replaced it with..
2320257013_446904b113.jpg

Sylar

Banned
Is there a PS2 to 360 type device that lets you use a PS2 controller on a 360? Silly question I know, but I only have a 360 and i'm in the camp of "don't enjoy GTA with 360 pad".

picsou

Banned
Sylar said:
Is there a PS2 to 360 type device that lets you use a PS2 controller on a 360? Silly question I know, but I only have a 360 and i'm in the camp of "don't enjoy GTA with 360 pad".

buy a ps3 :D

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Sylar said:

Did it ever occur to people, the reason you may have enjoyed it on a certain controller, is because it was designed for that controller. Things freaking change and no one cares if you preferred one hand on a snes controller and the other grasping an intellivision remote, get that shit out of here.

Sylar

Banned
squatingyeti said:
Did it ever occur to people, the reason you may have enjoyed it on a certain controller, is because it was designed for that controller. Things freaking change and no one cares if you preferred one hand on a snes controller and the other grasping an intellivision remote, get that shit out of here.

Last time I checked I didn't post looking for sympathy. I posted looking for a fucking converter Mr. "Jump to Format Wars".

I don't understand what's so wrong about asking if there's such an device. I have trouble playing GTA on the 360 controller. Is that what you wanted? Wanted me to admit a defecit in my brain that just doesn't allow it or make it comfortable? Well fuck you buddy. I'm sorry I asked a question that would allow me to play GTA and enjoy it because of a medical reason.

get a ps3

Re-read what I wrote. PS2 to 360.

Mr. Sam

I never had trouble playing GTA on my friend's Xbox. I had to get used to it but after that it worked fine. Add to that the fact that the developer's are now designing it with the 360 pad in mind as well, as well as the bright white brick being comfy as hell, I just don't see the problem.

And no, I don't think there is such a device as you mentioned. I'm not techsmart like that anyway, so I wouldn't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom