• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Sam

speedpop said:
HD TV bought, sound system in check. Now all's I need is a PS3 and GTA IV.

Wow, you're really going out of your way to play GTA. Me? I'm no-nonsense, SD TV, a year-and-a-bit-old 360 and some lube. Wait, forget that last part.

newsguy

I'm a tech whore. I've been playing since the original xbox on an HD front projector. I will say this, a sound system for these games makes a difference. The sound effects or listening to the music in surround is nice.

Himuro said:
New article from mtv. Haven't read it yet so I don't know how much new information is in it.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1583276/20080312/id_0.jhtml

1.jpg

2.jpg

Damn, that's twice. Tolito is gonna be piiiiissed.

newsguy

The blackmailer was hanging out near a fountain in a small park, though the game didn't indicate exactly which person milling about in that area was him. Instead, Niko received a text message on his ever-available cell phone. With a few presses of the controller, we could call the texted number, causing the blackmailer's phone to ring. Once the call commenced, the goal was to walk Niko through a crowd of people, looking and listening for someone talking on their cell phone. We heard him first and eventually stood face to face, with Niko's and the blackmailer's phones to their ears, their voices echoing through the phones and the virtual thin air. The blackmailer almost ran. Niko's gun stopped him. And then Niko ran from the cops. Mission just about complete.

You're kidding me.

Please PLEASE let there be japanese Yakuza or chinese triads missions avaiable. PLS!!!

Matter of fact...I would welcome the idea to get unique items after you finish all jobs for the Yakuzas as an example...you get a Katana!!!

Like unique items which would fit the spirit of the gangs.

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Himuro said:
I told ya in the OP! There's no arrow on top of your targets and you have to be crafty to find em! Who's to say you couldn't just kill every person in the vicinity? ;)

I wonder if there's stealth kills?

No idea. But in the docks missions I played yesterday only your main target was represented by an icon on the mini-map. All other enemies, even when they were shooting at me, didn't have icons. Like I said in the piece, it seems like Rockstar is trying hard to avoid applying the standard gaming iconography.

newsguy

Himuro said:
I told ya in the OP!

Yes, I remember about this, and this mission was referenced a long time ago, but being able to hear the feedback when you're standing next to the person on a cell? :O

Mr. Sam

I'll be getting my copy from my local Argos, no pre-order required - it's definitely not one of the first stops for gamers and I'm fairly certain doesn't even take pre-orders, but will definitely stock the game.

kind of a sick question for totilo-

In Manhunt, if you shoot someone in the head with a shotgun, it leaves a gaping hole in their skull and chunks fly everywhere. In San Andreas if you head-shot someone close range with a shot gun, their head just disappeared and blood spurted out.

What's the case in GTAIV?

X26

Banned
notjackbauer said:

In Manhunt, if you shoot someone in the head with a shotgun, it leaves a gaping hole in their skull and chunks fly everywhere. In San Andreas if you head-shot someone close range with a shot gun, their head just disappeared and blood spurted out.

speaking of manhunt, it would be awesome if the smiley's were in the game in some capacity

X26

Banned
kylej said:
They should've put an unlockable Cerberus outfit in Bully or San Andreas.

6th star = Cerberus

:O

I can't imagine it would be hard to implement a cheat that makes swat guys look like cerberus, would be neat it would

newsguy

notjackbauer said:

I'm a big fan of awesome headshots, and I know we won't see that crazy head disappearing thing this time around. The push for realism surely won't allow it. The bad news is, not one of the previews have mentioned beheading of any nature. I'm starting to theink there just won't be beheading, ala saint's row.

Tr4nce

stephentotilo said:
I had no complaints about the controls. They felt good, as I wrote in my article. Way better than the controls of Vice City or even San Andreas.

So ehm, exactly HOW alive did the city of Liberty feel? Is it a huge step forward from previous GTA's? Do you really have the feeling you're in a living, breathing city when you play the game?

newsguy said:
I'm a big fan of awesome headshots, and I know we won't see that crazy head disappearing thing this time around. The push for realism surely won't allow it. The bad news is, not one of the previews have mentioned beheading of any nature. I'm starting to theink there just won't be beheading, ala saint's row.

yeah, i think you're probably right. manhunt is really atmospheric and disturbing, and head-chunks may not jive with GTA's open-world innocent-pedestrians vibe. they'll do something cool, but probably just not as graphic.

X26 said:
6th star = Cerberus

:O

I can't imagine it would be hard to implement a cheat that makes swat guys look like cerberus, would be neat it would

I keep reading that as 6 Stars gets you chased by the Smoke Monster off LOST, but then, I'm me.

As promised, here is a shitty cameraphone picture of The Beer Garden in Astoria, Queens.

521cc3d5453a.jpg

R*'s Take:

2el3vrn.jpg

It's currently undergoing some construction so those wooden archway doors are all the way open. When closed they function as seen in GTA4.

n1n9tean

Banned
notjackbauer said:
yeah, i think you're probably right. manhunt is really atmospheric and disturbing, and head-chunks may not jive with GTA's open-world innocent-pedestrians vibe. they'll do something cool, but probably just not as graphic.
A single bullet-hole with a thick stream of blood rolling down the face for hand guns (like in the mass-appeal Hollywood action flicks). Shotguns will turn faces into red, textured walls of flesh and blood.

Something like that.

n1n9tean said:
A single bullet-hole with a thick stream of blood rolling down the face for hand guns (like in the mass-appeal Hollywood action flicks). Shotguns will turn faces into red, textured walls of flesh and blood.

Something like that.

Sounds right to me. Do you know or are you speculating?

newsguy

notjackbauer said:

It's speculation. The screenshots never show bulletholes in enemies who've been shot. That really would be ace though. A headshot with a sniper rifle should be accompanied by a satisfying explosion.

Tr4nce

From GTA4.net:

GTA4net said:
Word is coming through that the popular German magazine, Games Aktuell, will have the first details on GTA 4's mutliplayer system in their next issue. The issue is due to go on sale on March 19th, so expect more information around them. GTA IV will feature multiplayer game modes called "Team Deathmatch", "Cops n' Crooks", "Deal Breaker", "Bomb da Base" and "Hangman's Noose", amongst others which we hope to learn about soon. We understand that the magazine got to play two of these modes.

Awesome :D

n1n9tean

Banned
notjackbauer said:
No, I'm just speculating on what would make the most sense and fit best within the new GTA world; IF there will, in fact, be no beheadings.

X26

Banned
final wanted level has you being chased by a mibatsu monstrosity driven by claude with vercetti and cj riding along doing drive-by's on you

or so I hear

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
notjackbauer said:

no idea. what kind of person do you think I am?

the game didn't seem that bloody. the violence was more apparent in how people crumpled when you shot them. or, for example, after I shot one guy who was standing on a fire escape, he fell off it, but then clutched onto the bottom of it with one hand. the poor guy wasn't dead yet, but I had to shoot him again for him to lose his grip. oh, and when I got shot near a window and then walked inside the building where people had been shooting at me from, my guy's blood was on the fractured glass -- though that wasn't permanent and the texture snapped back to a clear glass after a little bit

newsguy

stephentotilo said:
for example, after I shot one guy who was standing on a fire escape, he fell off it, but then clutched onto the bottom of it with one hand. the poor guy wasn't dead yet, but I had to shoot him again for him to lose his grip.

Now that's sexy. And that's the kind of person I am. I think that's damn sexy.

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Tr4nce said:
So ehm, exactly HOW alive did the city of Liberty feel? Is it a huge step forward from previous GTA's? Do you really have the feeling you're in a living, breathing city when you play the game?

HOW alive? hard to say. there are definitely more people on the streets and sidewalks. and more major things seem to be happening around you that don't involve you -- for example, an ambulance was whizzing through traffic while I was driving somewhere; it had nothing to do with what I was doing but made the game world feel more lively

I think the biggest distinction for new players will be the amount of detail in the world. There's just more stuff -- everywhere. Inside buildings there is more furniture, more things on the walls. In the street there are more street cones, and garbage. In the alleys there are dumpsters. On the sidewalks you've got hot dog vendors, groceries people dropped. And so much of this stuff can be knocked around. It doesn't feel over-the-top, like they're trying to show off a physics engine. It just feels like a city full of stuff.

Will that having any meaningful impact on gameplay? Hard to say

newsguy

stephentotilo said:

You said in the article that the new physics were obvious in some aspects. The guy hanging from the fire escape allowing you to shoot him may not be a "meaningful" impact, but it's pretty amazing that it makes the A.I look like they have a strong sense of self preservation. BTW, thanks for taking the time out to give impressions, we love every little bit of info.

stephentotilo said:
HOW alive? hard to say. there are definitely more people on the streets and sidewalks. and more major things seem to be happening around you that don't involve you -- for example, an ambulance was whizzing through traffic while I was driving somewhere; it had nothing to do with what I was doing but made the game world feel more lively

I think the biggest distinction for new players will be the amount of detail in the world. There's just more stuff -- everywhere. Inside buildings there is more furniture, more things on the walls. In the street there are more street cones, and garbage. In the alleys there are dumpsters. On the sidewalks you've got hot dog vendors, groceries people dropped. And so much of this stuff can be knocked around. It doesn't feel over-the-top, like they're trying to show off a physics engine. It just feels like a city full of stuff.

Man. With all these new obstacles and the new police system, taxi missions are going to be hell.

MMaRsu

I'd love to get a HDTV for this game, but I'd be lucky to get this game on launchday to be honest..money problems :( :( :(

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Loudninja said:
stephentotilo is does the driving good?

are you possibly asking me if the driving is good?

yes. the vehicles I drove all controlled more distinctly from each other than I had remembered in GTAs past. there seemed to be more physics in them, in terms of suspension and whatnot. Fishtailing is much more disastrous for pedestrians, I can tell you that. And throwing Molotov cocktails from your car will probably be a new favorite GTA pasttime for GTA fans.

there's a neat surprise about the driving that I didn't put in my article. I'm writing up a blog post about it now. Give me a few minutes and it'll be live. I'll let you guys know

Loudninja

stephentotilo said:

yes. the vehicles I drove all controlled more distinctly from each other than I had remembered in GTAs past. there seemed to be more physics in them, in terms of suspension and whatnot. Fishtailing is much more disastrous for pedestrians, I can tell you that. And throwing Molotov cocktails from your car will probably be a new favorite GTA pasttime for GTA fans.

there's a neat surprise about the driving that I didn't put in my article. I'm writing up a blog post about it now. Give me a few minutes and it'll be live. I'll let you guys know

Thanks, I always like the driving in GTA games, just wanted to know :)

newsguy said:
From his article.

Sorry, I did not see that article, I will read it, thanks :D

Edit:surprise?I wonder what it could be?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
stephentotilo said:

Wheel support?

stephentotilo said:

Dashboard view!

Salazar

stephentotilo said:

Sequestering content is clearly infectious.

stephentotilo said:

Can you talk about Niko's animation? Is it as good as the previews say?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom