• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
BobFromPikeCreek said:
But not just any horn! One of those hilarious Texan horns! Every car has one.

Yes, my friends. I can now announce cars have horns.

No no no no (well, actually they do). That's not what I was getting at. Instead after finishing a bunch of other things I had to get done today, I was finally able to post my other GTA piece.

Here: http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/03/13/grand-theft-auto-iv-surprise-features-saturday-appointments-and-slow-mo-driving/

One thing it has is a day-of-the-week system that is incorporated into at least one mission. Give me a click and read about that in the post, will ya?

The game also has slow-motion driving. From my piece:

Slow-Mo Driving- You can drive slowly in “GTA,” even while driving fast. Yes, indeed, the laws of time and space need not apply as the game will borrow a little from “Max Payne” or “Burnout” and let you drive in slow-motion. I learned this near the end of my demo as I drove a Hummer-like truck through part of “GTA IV”’s Manhattan stand-in, Algonquin. The Rockstar rep suggested that I hold down the B button on my 360 controller. This changed the camera view to an elevated, cinematic perspective. I could still drive in this camera view.

While driving from a cinematic perspective I was then encouraged to click the 360 controller’s left thumbstick. This slowed things down. I was thinking of “Burnout”’s after-touch system and stopped directing my truck. But the Rockstar rep told me I could keep driving. It was a little awkward to steer with the left stick while keeping it clicked in, but it seemed manageable.

I’m not sure why this feature was added. It seems to go against the vibe that I reported in my piece today of Rockstar making “GTA IV” feel less like a game than the “GTA” predecessors. But it will allow the game to be viewed in a more stylish, cinematic context.

I did not have a chance to test the limits of the slow-mo driving, to see if it would help during a high-speed chase or make me more capable of landing a stunt jump. But those seem like safe bets.

Sylar

Banned
That slow-mo isn't really new to GTA though...it's always been incorporated just I guess being able to trigger it on the fly is new.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Yuck, I do NOT like that holding down of the button while driving thing. That's pretty hard to do (though I guess that's the point?).

Huh, kind of a pointless addition, but I'll take it!

Tr4nce said:
What do ya mean it's not new?

Doing big jumps usually triggers a new camera angle and slow-mo.

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Can you talk about Niko's animation? Is it as good as the previews say?

It's very good, but he's still a video game character. Something about putting the camera behind a protagonist instead of at the angles you see in a cut-scene always makes the lead character look a bit artificial. But he runs and turns smoothly. He jumps nicely. But again if you are trying to jump over a fence that Rockstar doesn't want you to jump over then he looks like any other video game character being pushed to do something the programmers don't want. In the case of the fence, he's hopping, landing, hopping, landing. That's just how it is. A game character in your hands, especially in a game that encourages you to do whatever you want to do, will always look like a bit of a freak.

Tr4nce

stephentotilo said:
Yes, my friends. I can now announce cars have horns.

No no no no (well, actually they do). That's not what I was getting at. Instead after finishing a bunch of other things I had to get done today, I was finally able to post my other GTA piece.

Here: http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/03/13/grand-theft-auto-iv-surprise-features-saturday-appointments-and-slow-mo-driving/

One thing it has is a day-of-the-week system that is incorporated into at least one mission. Give me a click and read about that in the post, will ya?

The game also has slow-motion driving. From my piece:

In that piece you speak of 'the world Thursday, but I think you meant 'word'?

guise

Slow mo sounds cool. Hopefully it helps avoid shitty annoying traffic accidents when you're in the middle of a police chase

Tr4nce

stephentotilo said:
I sure did. Thanks for catching that. What do you think of that feature?

Well, I liked it but I think I will stay away from previews now. I think I already know too much about the game right now. Or at least it sure feels that way.

Hopefully slow-mo won't actually be required at any points, because it sounds like a bitch to use. Holding down a button AND a stick whilst continuing to drive? I think they should really re-think that.

newsguy

He told me about a mission called “The Final Interview,” in which the game’s protagonist, Niko Bellic, will need to assassinate a lawyer. Niko will be able to apply for a job at the firm from the game’s Internet cafes, but will only be called in for an interview on a Saturday.

Add to the list of neat things we'll be able to do in the game's internet. The little details get better and better.

newsguy

BenjaminBirdie said:
Jeez, Himuro, you were asking me for those Beer Garden pictures for weeks!

He get banned or somethin'? I worked hard for that shot!

;D

I think he's at school all day. He usually comes later.

I want to play.

mysetup2.jpg

A bit over 100 inches.

MMaRsu

MercuryLS said:
So are we getting any more trailers? What about in-game vids?

I really want to see some footage of someone playing the game.

Didn't happen with previous gta's, won't happen with this one.

Any chance of being able to customise the controller configuration this time? To my knowledge none of the other GTA games let you do that. I don't understand why some games never let you change the button layout. It seems such a simple thing to do. Why not?

newsguy

coldvein said:
jesus suffering christ @ that tv.

That's front projection. I had one in my old apt. Where I live now I don't have the space so I had to go with an actual TV. Nothing beats a huge image.

traveler

Not Wario
I should photograph the 8" SDTV I have to use. Perhaps it'll elicit enough sympathy to garner some donations. Gowans and I had a lot of fun in coop with him describing what I was supposed to see. :lol

MMaRsu

traveler said:
I should photograph the 8" SDTV I have to use. Perhaps it'll elicit enough sympathy to garner some donations. Gowans and I had a lot of fun in coop with him describing what I was supposed to see. :lol

8inch?

wow, photo please :D

newsguy

traveler said:

Gahiggidy?

Himuro said:
So I'm playing San Andreas:

"COUGHIO UP EL WEEDO, BEFORE I BLOW YOUR BRAINS UP ALL ON THE PATIO"

:lol
I just started a new SA file today too. For some reason I couldn't find a copy of either of the Stories games for PS2 anywhere, so this will have to occupy me until GTA4.

Kuran

Banned
I never finished SA because it killed my PAL PS2.

Afterwards I just got a US PS2, and never rebought SA.

I found the PC version for cheapies though.. but I can't for the life of me configure my 360 joypad to work on that, did someone here manage to?

MMaRsu

Kuran said:
I never finished SA because it killed my PAL PS2.

Afterwards I just got a US PS2, and never rebought SA.

I found the PC version for cheapies though.. but I can't for the life of me configure my 360 joypad to work on that, did someone here manage to?

Try xpadder4

Kuran

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Try xpadder4

Thanks, is there something I have to do to get San Andreas to recognize the joypad? Because I configured every button in xpadder, but SA will flat out ignore this.

kitch9

Banned
Kuran said:
Thanks, is there something I have to do to get San Andreas to recognize the joypad? Because I configured every button in xpadder, but SA will flat out ignore this.

If you're on Vista you have no chance as the game WILL NOT recognize the right stick. If you have XP then try this...... Its incompatible with Vista though.

http://www.fileplanet.com/155876/150000/fileinfo/Grand-Theft-Auto:-San-Andreas---SAAC-1.2-Mod

Either that or set-up your mouse and keyboard correctly and realise just how awesome this game can be with permanent free aim instead of that lock-on crap....

Thrakier

lolz, after I read what rockstar did with bully 360 I lost all my hope that GTA 4 will NOT have serious framerate issues (like every 3D GTA before...). They obviously just can't do it.

MMaRsu

Thrakier said:
lolz, after I read what rockstar did with bully 360 I lost all my hope that GTA 4 will NOT have serious framerate issues (like every 3D GTA before...). They obviously just can't do it.

wut

different team

port

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom