• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'm not a big multiplayer guy, so I'll save that till I beat the story. Awesome stuff though.

Wonder if local play is supported?

Is this really happening? I'm just having trouble believing that R* is releasing this much info....it's awesome! Still, on that same idea, what could they be holding back or has it become necessary for gaming companies to unveil most of their information in order to compete in today's market?

Himuro said:
I hope they don't tell us the juiciest details in the least bit.

Oh I agree, but you know how guarded R* usually is when it comes to this series. I just find it interesting on the amount of information they have provided and what, if anything, they have in store for later. For me personally, online co-op is probably the only thing this game is missing, but it doesn't deter me from anticipating this game with "oooo I'm about to get my first bj" feelings----yup, totally hyped for this game.

dejay

Banned
got2bekidding said:
Is this really happening? I'm just having trouble believing that R* is releasing this much info....it's awesome! Still, on that same idea, what could they be holding back or has it become necessary for gaming companies to unveil most of their information in order to compete in today's market?

Rockstar not only want to sell the game to the current owners of consoles, they also want to sell the game to people who haven't got a HD console yet. They're also trying to make the point that this isn't just another GTA game, but a GTA game that's almost as revolutionary as GTA III was. Hence the hard sell.

I've seen a lot of comments on boards along the lines of: "I was getting bored with GTA games and wasn't going to buy it, but now that I've seen/read about what they're doing, I'm excited." In this regard their information campaign seems to be paying off.

Saying that there's still a long way to go until release and I don't think they've even begun to push it that much yet. Wait for the TV and radio ads. I do believe, however, that there will be some nuggets of awesome that we won't see until we play the game.

dejay said:
Rockstar not only want to sell the game to the current owners of consoles, they also want to sell the game to people who haven't got a HD console yet. They're also trying to make the point that this isn't just another GTA game, but a GTA game that's almost as revolutionary as GTA III was. Hence the hard sell.

I've seen a lot of comments on boards along the lines of: "I was getting bored with GTA games and wasn't going to buy it, but now that I've seen/read about what they're doing, I'm excited." In this regard their information campaign seems to be paying off.

Saying that there's still a long way to go until release and I don't think they've even begun to push it that much yet. Wait for the TV and radio ads. I do believe, however, that there will be some nuggets of awesome that we won't see until we play the game.

Yeah, R* knows they don't just sell games, but they are console movers too. So I guess in a way it is necessary in today's market since giving out more info about their game (or any company's game) will entice people to make that leap into the newest generation of consoles in order to buy their product.

The tweaks and small details they have inserted into this episode does look to make this GTA experience incredibly fun.
Edit: When are the first t.v. commericals supposed to be aired?

MercuryLS

Banned
n1n9tean said:
hmmm. I like it. Good idea at first thought. But, think about it: When you first press the button it's going to immediately lock on to someone, possible pulling your focus away from what you really want to be aiming at. Then, when you enter free-aim mode you would have to make you own way back to aiming at your intended target. It would be a little wonky, don't you think? UNLESS, there was a delay. A very short delay (a half-second or so) in activation of the lock-on mode when you first pull the trigger. But, if you hold it mid-way for the proper amount of time it will activate. Understand?

That's the only solution I can think of.

But that delay could totally fuck you over in a heated battle, controls need to be instantaneous with zero delay. I like the system they have in place now, half press for free aim, full press for lock-on. Should work fine.

MercuryLS

Banned
Ballistics said:
In car view confirmed.

And bullet holes and bodies stay in the world.

That's from OPM UK, also had a great screen shot that I've never seen before :)

You mean even if you turn the machine off and come back, the bodies and bullet holes remain? That'd be nuts.

Maggot9

Banned
headline_games_EN.jpg

this reads weird.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
MercuryLS said:
You mean even if you turn the machine off and come back, the bodies and bullet holes remain? That'd be nuts.
That would also mean that the police department was doing a horrible job.

Ploid 3.0

Goldrusher said:
?

:eek:

???

:eek: :eek: :eek:

What ?

That's interesting. That's one thing I found creepy about Oblivion. This guy is still in my game (the creepy elf that wanted you to kill people).

2e1cfic.png
(small pic from PS3 save file icon)

n1n9tean

Banned
MercuryLS said:
But that delay could totally fuck you over in a heated battle, controls need to be instantaneous with zero delay. I like the system they have in place now, half press for free aim, full press for lock-on. Should work fine.
I don't think you understand. The delay would be a fuck-over prevention mechanism. Rather than snap you onto a target that you don't want to aim at, the lock-on is bypassed for a fraction of a second and instead you go right into free-aim mode. If you want lock-on (and if I'm in the middle of a heated battle I sure don't want to be depending on lock-on) then you can pull the trigger half-way and if the delay is set to just the right amount of time (again, some fraction of a second) then everything will feel natural and you would just about immediately go into lock-on mode. It would be a delay that you couldn't even notice; only there to make the two aiming systems work seamlessly together.

- A steady, constant depression of the trigger (without lolligagging.....<there's a sick joke there but I certainly won't touch it) until it's fully depressed = free-aim.

- Linger somewhere in the middle and you go right into lock-on.

Got it? SO, it wouldn't be a delay that gets in the way, but one which prevents such a fuck-over as in your scenario. :lol

Though, it's not as if this is how aiming is going to be set up, anyway. I just think such a system would work well for GTAIV.

n1n9tean

Banned
SapientWolf said:
That would also mean that the police department was doing a horrible job.
Yea, I think that, in the interest of realism, bodies should not lay around forever. Instead, I think that they should be deleted from the world a certain number of minutes after you have left the area and they are no longer in sight. To explain further, if you left for 30 seconds and then went back, they would still be there. But if you leave and go back after maybe 5 minutes the body should be gone and there should be a chalk outline on the ground. The bodies should NEVER disappear before your eyes, though. :lol

Kuran

Banned
kitch9 said:
If you're on Vista you have no chance as the game WILL NOT recognize the right stick. If you have XP then try this...... Its incompatible with Vista though.

http://www.fileplanet.com/155876/150000/fileinfo/Grand-Theft-Auto:-San-Andreas---SAAC-1.2-Mod

Either that or set-up your mouse and keyboard correctly and realise just how awesome this game can be with permanent free aim instead of that lock-on crap....

Thanks, but that crashes my european version of SA 2.0.. :(

I guess there is no way for me to finish this game without having to re-buy it a third time.

newsguy

For those who don't want permanent bodies, relax. There are 2 reasons why this isn't happening. For one, there is lots of death in the GTA world. After 20 hours of gameplay there would literally be areas that would look like there was a genocide there. The second, more straight forward reason, because in the MTV preview they state that not even the blood texture stays on the window for more than a minute.

I don't really have time to read all 84 pages, so forgive this question if possible:

Is there a comprehensive list of all the dirt that is currently to be had regarding the soundtrack? The only thing I know about the soundtrack is that Fela Kuti's in it.

Aristotlekh said:
I don't really have time to read all 84 pages, so forgive this question if possible:

Is there a comprehensive list of all the dirt that is currently to be had regarding the soundtrack? The only thing I know about the soundtrack is that Fela Kuti's in it.

It's all on the first page in the OP.

zaidr said:
Multiplayer with lock on aiming is gonna be fun...ugh..

People who use lock on in multiplayer will most likely shoot air and maybe strike your chest every now and then. Hell, im willing to bet that you could stand in the middle of the street, take out a pistol and aim for the other guys head before they are able to kill you from a good distance away with lock on.

btw, has there been any new info regarding customizing controls?

Nice job gamerx. I have been enjoying the massive amount of hypocrisy surrounding the whole Spitzer news. GamePolitics posted an old Spitzer quite about how horrified he was that people could "have sex with a virtual prostitute." :lol :lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
RadarScope1 said:
Nice job gamerx. I have been enjoying the massive amount of hypocrisy surrounding the whole Spitzer news. GamePolitics posted an old Spitzer quite about how horrified he was that people could "have sex with a virtual prostitute." :lol :lol
Well, why settle for virtual prostitutes when you could have the real thing?

dejay

Banned
Himuro said:
I knew there would be a new trailer this months. I'm expecting the fifth trailer to premiere a week before release.

From the Rockstar RSS feed:
The final Grand Theft Auto IV trailer before game release, "Good Lord, What Are You Doing?" AKA "Everyone's a Rat", will debut here in the VIDEOS section on 3.27.08.

Hope it's a good one. There are some more radio reveals on the 20th, which should be cool.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Glad someone said it. I've had to look outside of this thread for timely updates.

I think it was Bish that gave me a "GTA media hound" tag several years ago because of my creepily obsessive San Andreas threads. Himuro, you don't have to join the creepy club, but a little more effort means the rest of us can be lazy.

Oh, why won't you help me be lazy! :D

Thanks for the continued effort

dejay

Banned
Nice update Himuro ;) I still love your work.

I wonder if those stars are legit and if so how they got there yet the rest of the HUD isn't visible. They're difficult to see so it's easy to see how they could have been missed. The question is, why is there only five of them?

Anyway, for anyone looking for even more info than is in Himuro's OP, I would recommend the fact sheet at gtaforums.com, which is an excellent reference in forum that doesn't have that much else going for it - being filled with morons who like to take assumptions and run with them as fast as their little legs can go. They do seem to allow a lot of scans though.

squicken

I've bitched in this thread before about the megathread stuff too. It is absolutely nothing against the OP. I too would like new threads for new info. This thread doesn't have to die. It can remain active for the fervent GTA fans.

But anyway, I do appreciate the work of Himuro. Reading that Edge article was amazing. Houser sounds like an amzing dude. I really would like the back story of how he f**ked Mark-Ryan Salee's wife though.

newsguy

I gotta vouch for Himuro. He's updated each new set of previews the day they happened. It took him one day extra for the multi stuff, but who cares, someone created a separate thread for that info anyway.

Lobster

Banned
dejay said:
Nice update Himuro ;) I still love your work.

I wonder if those stars are legit and if so how they got there yet the rest of the HUD isn't visible. They're difficult to see so it's easy to see how they could have been missed. The question is, why is there only five of them?

Doesn't the HUD dissapear when you're busted?

Im gonna check that out..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom