• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT2| Life's A Beach

man, I dunno what it was but GTAIV's sound track was broken for me (and other's have agreed). Every time I'd change to a station it would always be playing like 1 of a handful of tracks.,.. I'd have to stay on the station for a while to get anything new.

The example most cited by me and others was the reggae/rap station, Radio Broker, or whatever, and EVERY TIME I turned it on it was some guy saying "BATTA TA BAT BATTA TA BAT BATTA TA BAT BAT" followed by a 60-second intro to the station. It was horrible.

Yup. There were some songs that I'd hear over and over. While some songs I might hear only once or twice in a playthrough.

I have the 2 dlc episodes installed, the music in those packs add a bit variety to the existing radio stations. I get the same stuff alot if i tune into Tuff Gong or IF99.

I was on board with the Adder for a long time. It would win any track with good straight sections.

Something happened after the last update.... It can't catch cars with lower top speed no matter what. I've been testing it out and the other cars are just pulling away.

The entity has been the best for me now, especially since I've been playing many poorly constructed custom tracks.

Also I finally get to buy the minigun today. That's pretty much going to just be horrible for everyone else.

udiie

I was on board with the Adder for a long time. It would win any track with good straight sections.

Something happened after the last update.... It can't catch cars with lower top speed no matter what. I've been testing it out and the other cars are just pulling away.

The entity has been the best for me now, especially since I've been playing many poorly constructed custom tracks.

Also I finally get to buy the minigun today. That's pretty much going to just be horrible for everyone else.

Try out the Coil Voltic if you haven't. It's a ton of fun to drive and the insane acceleration keeps it competitive.

I like the adder for it's build- it's just easier for me to correct myself or even withstand unexpected hits from other players, a good defensive super car. That's all changed tho, since the addition of the non-contact option i'm on the offensive; if that option isn't selected.

Been a tad busy, haven't been on in about a week or two, I miss it :( Stupid vacations, prep for vacations, and real life taking over all my damn videogame time! I will likely be on a decent bit tomorrow night, and perhaps Sunday if I can.

In my eyes the Adder is way overrated. There are plenty of sports cars that are just as fast, and cost a fraction of the supers to replace. I almost always have my Comet out, but lately I had been driving my Carbinazare and Feltzer more. I know my Comet easily keeps up with the Adders and Entitys juuust fine :D
Try out the Coil Voltic if you haven't. It's a ton of fun to drive and the insane acceleration keeps it competitive.
Take this advice, only slightly though. It does have insane acceleration. But, it's top speed is severely lacking, you'll be getting left behind in long stretches in no time flat :( For tearing up the city, making a ton of turns though, it's a beast.

Been a tad busy, haven't been on in about a week or two, I miss it :( Stupid vacations, prep for vacations, and real life taking over all my damn videogame time! I will likely be on a decent bit tomorrow night, and perhaps Sunday if I can.

In my eyes the Adder is way overrated. There are plenty of sports cars that are just as fast, and cost a fraction of the supers to replace. I almost always have my Comet out, but lately I had been driving my Carbinazare and Feltzer more. I know my Comet easily keeps up with the Adders and Entitys juuust fine :D

Take this advice, only slightly though. It does have insane acceleration. But, it's top speed is severely lacking, you'll be getting left behind in long stretches in no time flat :( For tearing up the city, making a ton of turns though, it's a beast.

Well I'm specifically talking about in races where the class is locked. It's faster than the entity and that new super but after the last patch it won't catch them anymore.

Ted

I was playing a few deathmatches last night and mostly ended up playing user created levels.

With user created races I think I've played more good ones than bad ones but the reverse seems to be true (at least for me) with deathmatches and most of them I played were either dull as ditchwater or far too tight to enable anything other than first to shoot style gameplay, A couple were pretty good but mostly for short term hilarity reasons (mêlée weapons + lawnmowers = chuckles).

It could be me in that I generally prefer racing to shooting anyway but has anyone else found any particularly notable ones? I'd like to try some more but I hate wasting time playing levels that aren't fun.

Yeah but if the wind blows on a coil voltic it will flip over. Thing has no weight to it
Lol, yea. I used to take it stunting, but it would always find some way to roll like 6234785 times each jump. It's rare that I take it out of my garage these days.
Well I'm specifically talking about in races where the class is locked. It's faster than the entity and that new super but after the last patch it won't catch them anymore.
Ahhhh yea, too true. I really wish that there was an option for "free race", where you could race any vehicle against any vehicle. WOuld make organizing "cat and mouse" races from PGR2 days MUCH easier...I know there is the whole impromptu race way, but that won't really work..

When did they change the rules for selling cars?

I have too many custom cars of one class and I can't sell them now because it's over 50000?

I have too many custom cars of one class and I can't sell them now because it's over 50000?
I believe they changed it so ANY car bought online can be sold...did you recently sell a car? No matter what kind of car you sell, you can only sell one to Los Santos Customs every 48 minutes or so, one in game day.

Alfebit

Banned

If you bought them before the patch that added the ability to sell the really expensive cars, you're out of luck. You're only able to sell them if you bought them after that patch, it's dumb.

If you bought them before the patch that added the ability to sell the really expensive cars, you're out of luck. You're only able to sell them if you bought them after that patch, it's dumb.

Damni it, now I have these cars I can't sell and don't want. That's weird about the patch. I thought you could sell the expensive cars before.

Wolfe

Damni it, now I have these cars I can't sell and don't want. That's weird about the patch. I thought you could sell the expensive cars before.

There's been a few weird things that happened in regards to selling cars with some of the patches and it could just be an aftereffect due to one of those changes. An example is one patch made it so that any car you stole would sell for a maximum of 10 grand while cars bought from the websites would still sell for full value. It's since been fixed but I wouldn't be surprised if there was still other issues like that in the game.

Hell at one point you even used to be able to sell free cars from the website (like the Elegy) by using a sort of loophole but now you can't do that either. I've had a couple cars I've had to just trash basically when replacing instead of being able to get a little back for them, sucks though.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more

You may want to try again later. I had this problem come up with some of my Adders some time back. When I logged in later, it worked fine.

Unicorn

Hey guys and gals. I started playing this again (got it at launch). I'm rank/level 6. How can I level up quickly to get stuff? It's such a grind doing missions and races and I see dudes at like level 114 and shit.

You may want to try again later. I had this problem come up with some of my Adders some time back. When I logged in later, it worked fine.
What Meta said. You can sell them. You can only sell one car every 48 minutes (that is real life time, not in game time), period. I know it works because a friend that bought a Monroe back in November recently sold it. He got plenty of cash for it. You can't sell the free cars, the specialty vehicles, and the higher end cars you find in free roam. But this is from from tons, and tons, and tons of hours of experience. Im 146, buddy that sold it is now 250 something.
Hey guys and gals. I started playing this again (got it at launch). I'm rank/level 6. How can I level up quickly to get stuff? It's such a grind doing missions and races and I see dudes at like level 114 and shit.
If you have buddies that play, you can have them invite you to high ranking missions. THey pay out decently, and give good RP. I've seen a ton of custom player created races that "promise" good RP payouts, too, see if you can check some of those out. Races do pay well in general though, especially the longer ones with 3 or more people.

I'll try again. These are cars I bought and upgraded but I want the money now. When I tried yesterday it said I can only sell cars up to 50k

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think if you bought it with the stim package you can't sell. I could sell my adder for the best part of a mil but I can't sell my sentinel.

parachute and survivals- turn on free aim for bonuses. Maybe run some races solo too, earn some experiance with the layouts and try out some of the cars in the process.

I think if you bought it with the stim package you can't sell. I could sell my adder for the best part of a mil but I can't sell my sentinel.

I think it's actually based on a patch date. A certain update allowed you to start selling more expensive cars that you purchased online, but expensive cars you purchased before said patch didn't retroactively get affected by it.

Wolfe

mods and hacks, it's been getting out of hand since the summer break is starting. I saw a guy running around in a space suit too.

Yeah that explains it. I haven't seen any of those appearance or item placement mods yet but just last night I ran into another guy shooting huge explosive rounds from one of his guns at a high rate of fire. Banged up my truck real bad as I sped by, few weeks before that was some jackass in a jet blowing everyone in the lobby up as soon as they spawned. Funny part was someone in the lobby called him a modder and he replied "I'm not modding I'm hacking!" as if he had any idea what a "hacker" is or does. Little dweeb with some program he downloaded off the net.

Hoping Rockstar is able to dial down on this shit soon.

You guys think there are any more cash mods flying around in these lobbies? If my XBL weren't expired it'd be nice to get another $10,000,000,000 stimulus package.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Yeah that explains it. I haven't seen any of those appearance or item placement mods yet but just last night I ran into another guy shooting huge explosive rounds from one of his guns at a high rate of fire. Banged up my truck real bad as I sped by, few weeks before that was some jackass in a jet blowing everyone in the lobby up as soon as they spawned. Funny part was someone in the lobby called him a modder and he replied "I'm not modding I'm hacking!" as if he had any idea what a "hacker" is or does. Little dweeb with some program he downloaded off the net.

Hoping Rockstar is able to dial down on this shit soon.

Don't hold your breath.

Wolfe

Oh believe me I'm not, just would be nice to see them do something about it given how much they pushed GTAO.

Gaaraz

So after two hours of updates and doing tutorials, my friend and I finally got to play some GTA online last night.

It could be a PS3 specific issue, but I was amazed at just how much of a shambles the whole matchmaking/communications were. Every time we played a game, it'd be 1 vs 1 with me and him on different teams. It would never attempt to match us with other people, and as a result it meant during any of the multiplayer 'jobs' we couldn't speak to each other. It'd just be 1 vs 1 on a massive open world map.

What are we missing here? I was kind of hoping we could just play together in some sort of co-operative mode, or at the very least stay on the same team as each other and play against different people. The lack of voice comms is a real nightmare too... we're considering just using Google Hangouts next time we play.

So after two hours of updates and doing tutorials, my friend and I finally got to play some GTA online last night.

It could be a PS3 specific issue, but I was amazed at just how much of a shambles the whole matchmaking/communications were. Every time we played a game, it'd be 1 vs 1 with me and him on different teams. It would never attempt to match us with other people, and as a result it meant during any of the multiplayer 'jobs' we couldn't speak to each other. It'd just be 1 vs 1 on a massive open world map.

What are we missing here? I was kind of hoping we could just play together in some sort of co-operative mode, or at the very least stay on the same team as each other and play against different people. The lack of voice comms is a real nightmare too... we're considering just using Google Hangouts next time we play.

I think part of the reason is that at certain times of the day, the online can be a little dead for newcomers, making match making difficult. A lot of times too, if people are actively looking for games, invites get sent out to people, that promptly ignore those job requests :( Even early on I know players do it. The missions you are describing sound like the competetive style of missions, where two teams fight it out over something. You can spot those by the mission description needs at least 2 people to start. Every other mission that requires 1 player to start, invite friends/crew mates/players to the mission, and you will all be fighting towards the same end objective, whatever it may be.

The voice communication is there, it's just setup oddly, but I really like it. In team games, the only way you can speak to a member of the opposite team, you have to be within 5 feet of them or so. That is for normal conversations. But you can also use your cell phone to call anyone in the game, whether you or they are doing single player or multiplayer. That feature is pretty cool, as it acts as though you are really talking on the phone. Even in an open room, where your chat settings are set to everyone, if you call someone, only you two can hear eachother. The main problem is that you can't change weapons while driving, or radio stations, because both of your hands are occupied (driving the car & holding the phone).

It certainly can be overwhelming. But you will soon be slinging bullets, hocking cars, and crash bombing jets like the pros in no time. Also, if you are PS3, it couldn't hurt to join up with the Gaf crew. Send me a PM if you are interested, I am the current PS3 Crew Leader, and I'll let ya know what you need to do. It's an easy process. We don't have a ton of people playing, but you can be in 5 crews at a time. It never hurts to have options, especially when one of those options is playing with people you are slightly familiar with.

As far as coop modes go, you can invite your friends to jobs that pop up on your phone while you are free roaming. Once you advance further and level up, you will unlock Survival mode which for me is the best for cooperative mode. You are part of a small team that fends off waves of enemies. The other thing I have found useful is playlists. Set up your favourite coop jobs and modes or races and then invite your friend and you can keep playing uninterrupted. In these modes you will be able to chat freely.

One thing I don't like is how the game doesn't return me and my friends to the same closed friend freemode session after we complete a one-off job. It's super annoying to have to re-invite everyone back in.

Also it seems the only way to launch a friends only freemode session is by first loading into the single player version of the game and then launching online from the start menu. I don't see the same friend or crew only session options when I launch directly into online mode.

One thing I don't like is how the game doesn't return me and my friends to the same closed friend freemode session after we complete a one-off job. It's super annoying to have to re-invite everyone back in.
So unbelieveably annoying. For a while I thought it was tied to the aiming setups, which can only be adjusted in single player, and those preferences get carried over on to Online. It's 50/50 for me, sometimes it works wonder, sometimes not so much. I think with the new Mental State system they have in place, it will further analyze who should be with you or not likely.
Also it seems the only way to launch a friends only freemode session is by first loading into the single player version of the game and then launching online from the start menu. I don't see the same friend or crew only session options when I launch directly into online mode.
This. It is very annoying to have to quit to SP to set those up. Even the Invite Only Session requires a SP relaunch. Minor annoyances sure, but over the course of a whole evening it gets very tedious.

I hate doing this as a double post, and I am sorry for doing so, but I wanted it totally seperate from what I said above.

Gaaraz - and also any new players to GTA:Online - If you have not already done so, go to Rockstar's website and create a Social Club account. Its FREE, and you get a free sports car from Legendary Motorspots. You have to go to the in game website to buy it, but it is free. It's a reasonably good sports car, great if you are just starting out. Since it's a free car, it also does not cost anything to replace should it get destroyed. And it will get destroyed. Often. So that will help you line your pockets with more cash until you save up enough for a better ride.

Personally, I love the Comet and Feltzer. Cheap-ish to buy, very very fast once fully tuned, and rather inexpensive to replace when destroyed. My Comet costs about $1250 to replace. A Cheetah, Entity, or Adder costs $9k and up to replace, and the Comet has a top speed that matches those cars.

I went with the Lampadati Felon due to it having four doors for me and my buddies.
Good call. When you are ready for a four door upgrade, the Sultan is waiting for you :D

On a side note, you should have an eye for those Felons, especially the GT convertible model. The regular Felon sells for 9k, and the GTs go for 9.5k. Next to the Baller (9k), they are the best cars to sell for quick cash.

Next purchase is a supercar since I can't seem to win a single race, which I need to unlock the Felon's performance upgrades. Tying those upgrades to race wins is a relatively big fail in my view. I should be able to just buy them. Still love the game despite all my complaining.

Next purchase is a supercar since I can't seem to win a single race, which I need to unlock the Felon's performance upgrades. Tying those upgrades to race wins is a relatively big fail in my view. I should be able to just buy them. Still love the game despite all my complaining.
Well, an easy out for that- do motorcycle races with a buddy on Criminal Records, two laps. One lap takes about 30 seconds. I say two because the bump from one to two in cash and rp is worth it. Payout is utter garbage though, don't expect much. The point behind it - winning motorcycle races unlocks upgrades across all vehicle classes. Unless it's been patched, but I haven't seen anything mentioned in any of the updates notes. It's the best way around the upgrade system. By the time your done, 45 wins or so, all classes will have everything but the level unlocks. And you should have earned a moderately decent chunk o change.

1upmuffin

Me and my friend are both trying to start GTA Online for PS3 and both of us can't access the the tutorial mission. The race marker will not appear, we've tried restarting like 5 times each. Any ideas on how to fix this? It's bullshit that this bug still exists.

Palpable

Me and my friend are both trying to start GTA Online for PS3 and both of us can't access the the tutorial mission. The race marker will not appear, we've tried restarting like 5 times each. Any ideas on how to fix this? It's bullshit that this bug still exists.

Yeah, their servers are messed up right now. Even the radio is muted for every station. Something is clearly messed up.

If waiting for R* to fix any potential issues doesn't work....then.....my only suggestion is to back up your game save, delete the game data, and try again :(
Yeah, their servers are messed up right now. Even the radio is muted for every station. Something is clearly messed up.
Weird...I was on from 530pm-10pm EST and I had no issues during my short stay there.

Well, an easy out for that- do motorcycle races with a buddy on Criminal Records, two laps. One lap takes about 30 seconds. I say two because the bump from one to two in cash and rp is worth it. Payout is utter garbage though, don't expect much. The point behind it - winning motorcycle races unlocks upgrades across all vehicle classes. Unless it's been patched, but I haven't seen anything mentioned in any of the updates notes. It's the best way around the upgrade system. By the time your done, 45 wins or so, all classes will have everything but the level unlocks. And you should have earned a moderately decent chunk o change.

Thanks I will definitely try that.

If waiting for R* to fix any potential issues doesn't work....then.....my only suggestion is to back up your game save, delete the game data, and try again :(

Weird...I was on from 530pm-10pm EST and I had no issues during my short stay there.

Yeah I had problems last night too playing PS3 version, I could not access my playlists.

Thanks I will definitely try that.
You're welcome, always happy to help.
Yeah I had problems last night too playing PS3 version, I could not access my playlists.
My secret hope of hopes is that they are beefing up the servers for a big E3 event weekend, or preparing for a rash of people playing from some E3 announcement. But R* doesn't do E3, like ever, so it'd have to be some other sort of announcement. The news from them has been pretty dry lately, with just R* verified jobs, photos, and art being the latest headlines on their Newswire.

Gaaraz

Sounds great, thank you very much for the info @houroftower and @Baron Von Beans :)

We didn't get a chance to play, but hopefully we will over the next few days, sounds like there's a lot of great content that we just haven't found yet. I really like the single player and think the multiplayer has heaps of potential, so looking forward to getting stuck into it.

Flying jets sounds amazing, and I'd like to join the GAF crew, thank you for the offer! I'm from the UK though so may not be around at the same time as you guys. Will PM you now. Thanks again

Sounds great, thank you very much for the info @houroftower and @Baron Von Beans :)

We didn't get a chance to play, but hopefully we will over the next few days, sounds like there's a lot of great content that we just haven't found yet. I really like the single player and think the multiplayer has heaps of potential, so looking forward to getting stuck into it.

Flying jets sounds amazing, and I'd like to join the GAF crew, thank you for the offer! I'm from the UK though so may not be around at the same time as you guys. Will PM you now. Thanks again
You're welcome! Flying is a blast, I don't do it enough, and I always have trouble choosing which plan to fly. From the small stunt planes (Mallards) to the personal private jets (Vestra) to the big daddy cargoplanes (Titan), it's great. Trying to steal a Lazer from the military base is also hectic fun, especially when npc jets scramble and try to chase you down. I love flying them, but I also love being on the ground when people are flying anything, as the sounds I feel are great for players when they are far or near.

It's ok you are in the UK. Everyone plays on different schedules, so it's likely you'll get paired up with us at some point. Not to mention you can be in up to 5 crews, so you could potentially look for other UK crews to horse around with too.

Top Bottom