• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT2| Life's A Beach

Mastah

actual_1404329735.jpg

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...eventdetails&utm_campaign=independenceweekend

In fact multiple times I've seen the prompt pop up while in a buzzard or lazer, check the map to see where the marker is and start heading towards it in preparation for the crate to drop. Then nothing. I never go into the circle and no one was in or around the area the entire time. I mean it could be any number of things causing it but going into the circle before the crate drops is definitely not a requirement.

(Multi quote cheating)

Yeah I wasn't aware the masks were like that since I read they were to go along with the other animal masks which are permanent additions to the mask shop but the musket and clothing are temporarily available to buy.

Edit: I'm really enjoying the monster truck, great and even top tier off roader. Funny though cause I've already heard multiple people in online comment on how they don't like the rear facing engine. I hear that and then think to myself "but that's how most monster trucks are..."
RE the Crate Drops...yea they are just bugged. I joined a lobby, one came up, no one went near it, and I was driving to get one of my heli's to beat everyone there. I got to the helipad, and was screwing around trying to blade civilians while waiting for the drop message, but it never came. It was one of those beer hats, too :( I must look at the masks, too. I don't usually wear them anymore, but the thought of NOT having everything doesn't sit well with my GTAOCD, so I will likely buy them right up.

I haven't even messed with the fireworks yet, aside from the launcher...I've been having waaaaayyyy too much fun with the Liberator. It's a dream come true seeing it's triumphant return to Los Santos, and to me it's worth every penny. To hell with my other off road vehicles now. I may keep one....but nothing compares to the monster madness. I don't understand how or why people would complain about the engine placement...I guess they wanted a big block like the muscles? No way though, that removes first person driving...and doing that in the Liberator is wild. Especially when it goes on those "rolling" streaks it loves to do.
The Panto is such a fun car to drive. It doesn't seem like the Liberator is in the content creator, which is disappointing. A Liberator vs Panto gametype would be amazing.
Man I want that Panto...that's my next car I am buying I think. It'll go nicely next to my Dink Blista. Those tiny compacts can be a ton of fun. I know when I was testing it in SP I imagined plentiful hilarious scenarios for it. A shame about the Creator though...I still have yet to find a way to have multi class races, easily. Not sure if it'd be possible...maybe set a race as one class, and have set pieces be the other cars? If that's even do-able? My goal - create a 'Cat & Mouse' race in GTA. This game screams for it. Doing it in free roam is not an option, since the cars can get destroyed, that would make it unfair. Free roam might be the only way to do it though. I need to really dive in to the creator again. I haven't loaded it in over a month. Could be that I wasted ungodly amounts of time just messing around, not really accomplishing anything lol. It's one amazing feature they have.
Seconded. My favourite new addition by far. Love arriving early at a drop off point and greeting the package deliverer with a barrage of beautiful colours!

I am such a nerd.
I have yet to mess with the fireworks, but dam that is a brillaint idea. I *must* do this now. Then hoard up on them before it's over, so I can light on off during Halloween and freak people out. Pssh no nerds here, just avid fans :D These are my stats....that damn "generous" person that gifted me all that money sure put the axe on me ever using this thing..

Razakin

Special crates give beer hats? Why the heck I didn't get one today then, got only that special t-shirt you get from your first special crate. Guess I need to luck out again this weekend.

Grinchy

Banned
I think I might have you all beat:
cashearned.bkk3h.png

Funny thing is I should have more than the 500K or so I have on me.

How did you get so much money from jobs? I can only ever seem to get people to do Rooftop Rumble. Anything else and people leave because experiencing one of the other 400 jobs is just pointless! /sarcasm

Ted

Pssh no nerds here, just avid fans :D.

Y'know, I really enjoy seeing other peopels graphs :D Kinda gives you a little insight to how others play.

That's more what I meant. My style is so legit I might as well have an accountant.

I think I might have you all beat:
cashearned.bkk3h.png

Funny thing is I should have more than the 500K or so I have on me.

Mother of God! Colour me impressed!

How did you get so much money from jobs? I can only ever seem to get people to do Rooftop Rumble. Anything else and people leave because experiencing one of the other 400 jobs is just pointless! /sarcasm

PS3 or 360? A few of us PS3 GAF'ers have been doing a varierty of co-op missions quite often recently.

PS3 or 360? A few of us PS3 GAF'ers have been doing a varierty of co-op missions quite often recently.
I wanna know, too! I am on PS3. It's funny, a lot of people don't know that doing a job for the first time gives you double money. Also, if you haven't done a job in a looong time, it gives you double money. So it really pays to go back and re do older jobs.

Also, how freaking awesome are those new Lester jobs?!?!? Free roam mission free for all assasinations! Be best to be in a private lobby with one or two others to really maximize this, but I got over 20k from those assasinations in less than 15 minutes. Add in the car sales, this will really speed up the cash flow.

Has anyone tried the background job loading? I am curious to see how it works. Unrelated, to me it's amazing to see how much work they are doing to improve the online. It's leaps and bounds over what it was, even 3 months ago or so. I can't wait to see what the big bad paid DLC will bring.

Mistel

Banned
Mother of God! Colour me impressed!
Holy billion, Batman! Wow, that is some serious job grinding.
I honeslty don't know how I've made two billion from jobs and not be higher rank than 55-60 ish for this long. Still that's a lot of legitimate cash for my generally half arsed effort I put in. What's also funny is that I've made $2 billion yet not been able to afford bullets at all sometimes.
How did you get so much money from jobs?
Playing a whole lot of them that's the only way really usually on hard mode for the faster missions.

Tigress

I've started doing the other jobs just for something different to do honestly (I suspect I've seen Ted in a few missions if his game name involves his name here <- mine does ;) ). Though yeah, I do try to get in a rooftop rumble or two in to make money as well as a survival (Boneyard is my go to cause at this point I can almost guarentee I'll get through 10 waves but I've even started trying other ones out just to do something different).

How are people getting those graphs? Do you have to go in game or can you look up on the website somewhere?

Wolfe

I've got 1.2 billion for my stats total, but 1 billion of that was from the hacked money days back in december or whenever when people were sharing huge amounts and putting out billion dollar bounties.

The one place I appear to have you guys beat though is in money picked up, dunno how but it says I've got a cool million from picking up money lol.

Edit: also that's why the billion shows up under jobs since it came from either billion dollar bounties or from someone sharing money which I guess the game still considers job money since you can only share job money.

Mistel

Banned
Also that's why the billion shows up under jobs since it came from either billion dollar bounties or from someone sharing money which I guess the game still considers job money since you can only share job money.
Shame you can't check what you've earned form bounties separate from the job total, I don't remember doing any hacked bounties. Shared money is shown in the shared segment which is where all my hacked money came from if I'm recalling correctly.

How are people getting those graphs? Do you have to go in game or can you look up on the website somewhere?
From Rockstar's Social Club page. Create an account if you haven't already, then log in, and you should be taken to the members page, where you click on the stats link in the bottom right quadrant of the screen. Click on your online character, and boom.
Shame you can't check what you've earned form bounties separate from the job total, I don't remember doing any hacked bounties. Shared money is shown in the shared segment which is where all my hacked money came from if I'm recalling correctly.
Shared money, or money just given to another player, is indeed where all that hacked cash went. You can share cash now, from your last job, and I believe that is how a majority did it. I watched a dude rob a convenience store, then he went to an ally. I followed, he then gave me 800+ mil in a few minutes. Now my graph looks like it does above..ridiculous! I suppose the bounties would technically count as jobs, since you can share that payola.

Wolfe

Yeah I don't know why but the shared hacked money I received showed up under jobs as well, I specifically remember when someone gave me the billion through the sharing feature as I was having a random shoot out with some dude and then saw that someone gave me a billion. I was surprised and headed back to my apartment to bank it since it was all on my person. Sure enough after that in the stats page on the social club it listed the money under jobs. I never was able to snag one of the billion dollar bounties but at that point I didn't really care since I already had a billion to screw around with.

As I said I have no idea why it is shown under jobs instead of shared but maybe it had something to do with the fact it was hacked and utilized other means to get around the fact that you couldn't even share that much money normally (if at all, I remember them turning off the option to share money which could have been prior to that).

Edit: I'm not saying all shared money from that time shows up under jobs as my shared shows 143 million and I remember someone giving me around that much after getting the billion but just that maybe specific money being shared showed up under jobs due to the process that was allowing people to share billions of dollars. /shrug

Tigress

Here's a really random question.

Some one told me yesterday that you can still get the police SUV (back somewhere in December they made it so you could not and took out any's that had it) and that they had one in their garage...

So are they full of it or is this true? Before I kill myself a million times trying to get one and co opt several people into trying to obtain one. Not that it's not fun getting one, but I don't feel motivated if I can't keep it (otherwise i get stuck with this vehicle I feel obligated to not leave for as long as possible just to get max enjoyment out of it).

red731

Just requested invite after being kicked out of the crew 8 months ago.
Got headset, am from Europe and would like to have fun!

Edit: I'm not saying all shared money from that time shows up under jobs as my shared shows 143 million and I remember someone giving me around that much after getting the billion but just that maybe specific money being shared showed up under jobs due to the process that was allowing people to share billions of dollars. /shrug
Finnicky system, being broken by modders. Love it. I just watched a video of what modders are doing to this now. Hydrolics on cars, even more ridiuclous exploding ammo, stickie nukes, rifle that has flamethrower esque bullet holes, ultimate car ramming mode, crazy colors on everything, and more. It'd be fun to mess around in one of those servers, only closed off to any actual online, and with a group of buddies. Say, like with a PC or something. Since I don't have a PC worthy of any gaming, and I never want to mod my PS3 or GTA, hilarious videos spreading the taint that ruins others legit experiences is all there is.
Just requested invite after being kicked out of the crew 8 months ago.
Got headset, am from Europe and would like to have fun!
What system are you on? If PS3, you got it! What is your Social Club name?

Also, to everyone else, if anyone has applied Via the Social Club but has not gotten a reply, please send me a PM!! I see several Crew requests, but no messages to go along with those, so I don't know who anyone is! Please and many thanks!

Ted

I've started doing the other jobs just for something different to do honestly (I suspect I've seen Ted in a few missions if his game name involves his name here <- mine does ;) ). Though yeah, I do try to get in a rooftop rumble or two in to make money as well as a survival (Boneyard is my go to cause at this point I can almost guarentee I'll get through 10 waves but I've even started trying other ones out just to do something different).

Yes, I'm pretty sure I've messed up a Survival for you blindly spewing rockets all over the place (except where they should be).

A small group of us are fairly regularly playing co-op as already mentioned so if you get invites (and that of course includes anyone in the NGAF crew) feel free to accept. We haven't been taking ourselves too seriously so don't always expect super-slick play but we usually have a laugh and ultimately achieve whatever goals we set!

EDIT - A friend just sent me this Majami Hiroz video, not sure if it has been posted before...

Majami Hiroz - C64 version of GTAV intro

I would so play it!

MisterHero

I might get a little play in this weekend. But mostly I just want to say that I wish more people played with Free Aim. >_>

You guys are still really cool though!

Fired this game up the other day for the first time in a very long time. Since all the updates and the LSC selling glitch went down.

I was surprised to see that I still had $7million. Which I think is what I had before all the glitching got fixed. Yes, I glitched to get that money.

I went ahead and bought a whole bunch of stuff, including that new Lamborghini Aventador and pimped it out. Looking forward to start playing this again.

Tigress

You can still get them but they cannot be owned I believe that was either a stock model or modded in.

Awww.. I don't understand why Rockstar bothered with that one. I wasn't hurting anyone by having it, it's not like it gave me any sort of unfair advantage (honestly, it's not that great of a car). I just was really amused by having it. Why can't I have a cop car?

And actually it made it extra fun that I had to work for it to get it (not just buy it). It was a challenge that was fun in the game. But not worth doing if I can't actually keep it.

Yes, I'm pretty sure I've messed up a Survival for you blindly spewing rockets all over the place (except where they should be).

A small group of us are fairly regularly playing co-op as already mentioned so if you get invites (and that of course includes anyone in the NGAF crew) feel free to accept. We haven't been taking ourselves too seriously so don't always expect super-slick play but we usually have a laugh and ultimately achieve whatever goals we set!

Ha, I can't say I mind not super slick play, otherwise I'd be a hypocrite as I honestly suck at the game (aside from the Boneyard Survival which I am awesome at if you have patience). I try to contribute though (though sometimes I end up being more a hindrance, I'm usually the first death in the rooftop rumble).

And some reason your name in game really amuses me for whatever reason which is why I remember it. And yes, it does give me the impression of some one who doesn't take himself too seriously/is easily amused (the name gives off this impression of class clown or something to me).

As an aside, I learned yesterday that if you steal a firetruck and spray an NPC with water and don't let him get up, he'll eventually drown. I was very immensely amused by that (and caused my BF to call me a horrible person as I was laughing like a maniac at that and at just randomly spraying NPCs and getting them to try to run out of their cars).

Yes, I'm easily amused :) (this game is all about being easily amused if you ask me. Some of the best parts is the many random ways to fail/die).

Mistel

Banned
Awww.. I don't understand why Rockstar bothered with that one. I wasn't hurting anyone by having it, it's not like it gave me any sort of unfair advantage (honestly, it's not that great of a car). I just was really amused by having it. Why can't I have a cop car?

And actually it made it extra fun that I had to work for it to get it (not just buy it). It was a challenge that was fun in the game. But not worth doing if I can't actually keep it.
The FIB, sheriff, and park ranger granger are not that much different from the standard other than being faster to accelerate and having a slightly higher top speed. Both still carry 8 people and have similar off road performance.

Tigress

The FIB, sheriff, and park ranger granger are not that much different from the standard other than being faster to accelerate and having a slightly higher top speed. Both still carry 8 people and have similar off road performance.

Exactly. What they don't have is the police car paint job nor sirens which are pretty much just something some one would be amused by (hell, there are better off road vehicles). As I said, it wasn't giving you any real in game advantage, it was just amusing. So I really don't understand why Rockstar was so against people having them (hell, I suspect they actually thought about it and decided not to and the glitch was just that you still could as there were modifications you could do to the paint job and some other stuff you could do). Damnit, Rockstar, let me have my police SUV, I wasn't harming anyone by having it!

It actually is one reason I stopped playing for a while (I was already getting a little bored and that honestly pissed me off and kinda put a damper on the game. I played for a little bit longer but it really did help wean me away so I could go finish other games).

Grinchy

Banned
I might get a little play in this weekend. But mostly I just want to say that I wish more people played with Free Aim. >_>

You guys are still really cool though!

So do I. Although, the aiming is pretty awful so I appreciate the auto aim when I'm doing missions with people. Half the time I can't even see the enemy and they are Green Beret snipers. But when it's a person versus a person, it's pretty lame that it's just who locks onto the other guy first or who rolls out of a lock-on and gets a new lock-on first.

And when you're driving around, you're basically dead to anyone outside of your car because they can lock on and spray. You have to start spraying before you can even aim and it's all happening while you drive. It's just kinda dumb. Free aim makes everything equal.

Mistel

Banned
Those days of the hacks, though I wish rockstar could somewhat restore it to how supposed to be.
Even with the hacks it displays the correct total of the data within the graph or in this case doesn't. You didn't happen to use shark cards did you?
Exactly. What they don't have is the police car paint job nor sirens which are pretty much just something some one would be amused by (hell, there are better off road vehicles).
They could of done what they did with a merryweather mesa so you could kept it if you already had one.

Off road itself really is iffy there's things like the picador which has 4WD drive and the torque to get up there yet is rather low on the whole ground clearance front. Not complaining mind you I can pretty much drive straight up the side of mount chilliad with mine.

Wolfe

Finally got a beer hat! Now to try collecting some of the other versions.

Was pretty fun too cause a few other people were actually going for the crate as well, unfortunately for the guy that put up the best race for it my buzzard easily wasted his annihilator and I was able to swoop in for the prize.

Tigress

Well, it's no beer helmet but I finally got my Zentorno. I just had to brag (even though I know everyone has one already). I'm wondering what car it is based on IRL cause it's puuurty. (And fun). Of course I'm sure it is some Lamborghini (I love love love Lamborghini design. Most gorgeous cars out there IMHO). My goal besides the tank (which I justified dipping into the tank fund with I'm not high enough level yet anyways) is to own all the pegassi vehicles (I think I have just one more but I really hate it's exhaust so I probably won't buy it until I don't have some other more wanted thing).

I really want a beer helmet but because I suck at this game compared to most other non newbies I have no chance of it unless it spawns in an invite only server or I get help.

Wolfe

The Zentorno is mainly modeled after the Lambo Sesto Elemento. Or something like that.

And yeah as was said there's a workaround that lets you get the special hats/shirt from crates without grabbing a crate if you're not having any luck. I actually tried it out for myself after getting my first hat and got the shirt. I managed to get a crate legitly for my second hat but it ended up being the same one I already got unfortunately.

Tigress

The Zentorno is mainly modeled after the Lambo Sesto Elemento. Or something like that.

And yeah as was said there's a workaround that lets you get the special hats/shirt from crates without grabbing a crate if you're not having any luck. I actually tried it out for myself after getting my first hat and got the shirt. I managed to get a crate legitly for my second hat but it ended up being the same one I already got unfortunately.

Yeah I looked it up and saw the real life car. Sadly I think the car in GTA V looks better than the car they modeled it after. And I was pretty sure it was a lamborghini they modelled it after (it looks like one and pegassi is pretty obviously lamborghini). I am a sucker for Lamborghinis (and older Porsches).

But for some reason I'm not excited by the Porsche in the game. I guess when you get access to super cars and don't have to worry about reliability or practicality the supercars are going to overshadow the cheaper car. But if I had to pick between one car and could only own that one car and no other IRL, I'd take the Porsche. Reliable and more practical to drive (no having to half sit out the car to back up for one ;) ). Or maybe a Lotus (don't know about reliability though). And still very fun to drive (I had a 1973 911 once, it was an awesome car, despite the water leaks and bad paint job <- it wasn't in best condition).

Geeze, I think I just realized one reason GTA V online is so addictive to me, it's the only way I'm going to have the car collection I'd love to have IRL (I'm never going to have that much money. At this point I don't think I'll ever even get to the point where I can afford another Porsche).

Mistel

Banned
Geeze, I think I just realized one reason GTA V online is so addictive to me, it's the only way I'm going to have the car collection I'd love to have IRL (I'm never going to have that much money. At this point I don't think I'll ever even get to the point where I can afford another Porsche).
The cars are a big part of why I play too but mine aren't a huge collection of super or sports collection I prefer the muscle cars like the Buccaner or the Sabre Turbo to drive about. Or even my Phoenix even with how tail happy the thing is.

Wolfe

Darnit. Glitch is just not working for me :(. No beer hat for me :(.

To be honest I haven't watched that vid that was linked so I don't actually know if it's the same thing I did but I'll explain it real quick just in case.

To preface this it requires two characters. I only play on one character myself but I made a second a long time back so that I had a male and female characters I just never play on the second one (she's rank 3 I believe).

1. switch to the character you don't want to get the crate item on (in my case I wanted it for my main character so I switched to the female character).
2. exit out to single player and let it fully load.
3. once SP is fully loaded hold the home menu button (until the menu appears, as opposed to pressing it once) and exit the game.
4. turn off the system.
5. turn the system back on and load the game.
6. once SP is fully loaded go online in an invite only lobby (you should still be on the secondary character).
7. once in the online invite only lobby swap characters to the character you're trying to get the crate item for.

At this point when you load into the game on the character you want the item for there will be a message above the minimap about crate contents and the item you received.

I did this once and it worked and gave me the happiness island t-shirt and I've read others say it's worked for them with beer hats. If there's anything confusing about the instructions above let me know and I'll try to clarify.

The cars are a big part of why I play too but mine aren't a huge collection of super or sports collection I prefer the muscle cars like the Buccaner or the Sabre Turbo to drive about. Or even my Phoenix even with how tail happy the thing is.

That's one of the reasons I was glad to get two properties because I only keep cars I like and as it was my original garage was half full of muscle cars which left me little room for the other classes.

As it is now that I can have 20 cars I currently have:
5 muscle
4 super
4 sports
2 off-road
1 sports classic
1 sedan
1 coupe
1 SUV
1 motorcycle

I'm thinking I might get rid of my Elegy for the new motorcycle now that I found out you can use a workaround to repaint it with iFruit but I hate the thought of not being able to sell it lol. It's also the only car I have that I am not that into, got it early on due to being free and have had it since. Not like it isn't worth it it's still one of if not the best sports car, but eh. Also out of my 4 supers I don't own an Entity or Adder, neither of them appeal to me.

Not sure if it's true or not but I saw some comments saying you need to have gotten a special crate before. I've only managed to get one in the past and that was during either the Valentine's or High Life event.

Tigress

Nah, I followed those instructions. Tried variations. Did this 6-8 times.

I am wondering if Thanatos is right as I've never gotten a special crate (and it does seem from the GTA forums to be that it does not work for some people). I've never gotten one myself.

Wolfe

Ah well if that's true I guess that could account for the workaround not working. I got my first one months back so it never crossed my mind.

Reule

Am I not joining the Independence Day Event playlist correctly? Online>Playlists>Rockstar Playlists>Independence Day Event Weekend. Anytime I do this I just launch the playlist by myself. I'm trying to join an active one that's already going on.

Wolfe

The only other way I've tried it was by pressing triangle (Y) during the initial loading screen after booting up the game. I got into a lobby with at least 1 or 2 others but my connection is somewhat shit so for all I know they joined after I did.

DireStr8s

Am I not joining the Independence Day Event playlist correctly? Online>Playlists>Rockstar Playlists>Independence Day Event Weekend. Anytime I do this I just launch the playlist by myself. I'm trying to join an active one that's already going on.

via the phone: random playlist, on call, is working for me.

Razakin

Nah, I followed those instructions. Tried variations. Did this 6-8 times.

I am wondering if Thanatos is right as I've never gotten a special crate (and it does seem from the GTA forums to be that it does not work for some people). I've never gotten one myself.
Did you check what clothes you own in your house for example? I did what Wolfe instructed and my wardrobe did have yellow beer hat with a star (meaning it's new) on it, so guess it worked for me. But I've gotten special crate once so.

Tigress

Yeah I checked my wardrobe. Even checked the store for the shirt (I heard the shirt sometimes shows up in the store as a 0 dollar item). Nothing. And no message ever popped up about unlocking stuff either.

Top Bottom