• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Millions of people, myself included, played GTA and other games of equal mature content at a very young age.

Turned out fine.

Why not let the parents decide what their kids can handle?

The more games ratchet up the graphics and in turn the realism, the less okay I am with kids playing it. There was a distance to the violence in GTA 3 because there were polygonal rectangles that sort of resembled people. Now, as I shoot at these high-res models with realistic entry/exit wounds that collapse against the environment around them in a realistic way, the more I think I wouldn't want my son playing this at eleven years old.

Sucks finally getting a chance to play but only having like 45 minutes before having to head out again, probably going to just wait until I've got a few hours free. I should've been smart and scheduled all my classes around this.

PaNaMa

Banned
So I played for 30 mins lunch time .. Can't find any option to save my game. Just assumed it would progress save me. Finished the intro, attended a psychiatry session, walked up the board walk.. Where the game changed me to two new characters. I couldn't find any option to save the half hour progress so I assumed it had had a checkpoint save system. Quit to dash, then started game just to see.. And I have to start right for the beginning again. New to gta and hear it uses a safe house save system or whatever.. Am I to understand you need to play at least 45 mins or something to reach first safe house?

fatius

I'll be able to test out the PSN version on a 7200 drive when it unlocks in a couple of hours. It should definitely make a difference.

Any word on this? Due to a slip up, I've got a disc coming despite having pre-ordered the PSN version. If it's bad, I'll keep the disk.

eso76

Wut ? Time moves fast if you walk and much much slower when you stand still, you can tell from the shadows.
They move and stretch while you're walking and almost stop when you walking.
Strange

red731

Anyone,

is the dynamic wanted level music as awesome as I want it to be awesome.
I watched streams and it was pretty awesome. SO AWESOME.

3 random comments after another 4 hour play session:

1. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the water looks soooo good in this game! I was in Michael’s pool for like 10 minutes just soaking up the atmosphere. The fact that you can actually see water drip on the floor when he leaves is impressive.

2. Hooray for mission variety! It’s still early days but the last 3 missions I did probably had more variety to them than like 90% of the missions in GTA IV. And holy shit at what happened when you hacked that guys phone from your TV! Just wow!

3. Jumping and then pressing the dive button is absolutely hilarious and has made me LOOOL so many times when the physics kick in. If you want a good laugh do it in Michael’s pool, or just find a brick wall or person do to it on. Funny stuff.
KuGsj.gif

Dries

Yep, this is the best game I've ever played. The PS3 version is so pretty I'm just losing it here, WTF. Oh man oh man oh man this game delivers so hard WTF!

Also, try pressing L1 or L2 with no weapon equipped while driving. THIS. GAME.

fantomena

Does it work for Europaens to create a US PSN account, then buy US PSN prepaid cards on Amazon.com and then buy GTA V on US PSn then? Can I the play on my EU account?

duckroll

GTAV is not the best game Rockstar ever made.

GTAV is perhaps the best game humanity has ever made.

Please put this quote on the cover of the GOTY Edition and pay me 1 cent for every copy sold!

-PXG-

I only played for a few hours last night. Already it's a massive improvement over IV. Aiming and driving driving are objectively better. Much smoother and more responsive. Stop being terribe. For a game on old ass consoles, it looks great. And yes, I play games on a high end PC. GTA V looks fine. People have ridiculous expectations or awful eyes

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else overwhelmed with how big in scope this game is in every facet. Almost can't be bothered playing haha.

I know that feel. I've just been doing arms trafficking missions with Trevor and a few off road races in between. This game man. It's so good.

I only played for a few hours last night. Already it's a massive improvement over IV. Aiming and driving driving are objectively better. Much smoother and more responsive. Stop being terribe. For a game on old ass consoles, it looks great. And yes, I play games on a high end PC. GTA V looks fine. People have ridiculous expectations or awful eyes

This accurately reflects my sentiments. I was a bit surprised to read so much negativity when a bunch more GAFers got their hands on the game. I think people's opinions will come around over time though. It's a game that definitely grows on you the more time you spend with it. I am having so much fun. It feels like GTA 3 on the PS2 all over again.

man as a tech demo, this game is amazing, the world is stunning in its detail.

in terms of framerate and IQ...all I can think of as a drive around is how much I am looking forward to the PS4 version

also having played both versions, they are damn near identical. I dont notice the PS3 ground texture advantage so buy the controller/online version u want

ultron87

So I played for 30 mins lunch time .. Can't find any option to save my game. Just assumed it would progress save me. Finished the intro, attended a psychiatry session, walked up the board walk.. Where the game changed me to two new characters. I couldn't find any option to save the half hour progress so I assumed it had had a checkpoint save system. Quit to dash, then started game just to see.. And I have to start right for the beginning again. New to gta and hear it uses a safe house save system or whatever.. Am I to understand you need to play at least 45 mins or something to reach first safe house?

You can Quick Save on your cell phone as well. But I'm not sure when that becomes available.

vilmer_

Any word on this? Due to a slip up, I've got a disc coming despite having pre-ordered the PSN version. If it's bad, I'll keep the disk.

The pop-in was pretty bad during the first car chase mission, I couldn't see the roads ahead of me at some points lol. It seems to have rectified itself as I've played more but there is still noticeable pop-in akin to GTAIV. I would go with the disc version tbh.

game is too ambitious IMO

tried both ps3 and xbox 360 versions, both look identical to me (the DF ground texture issue is irrelevant to me since both have poor IQ and framerate)

an amazing achievement on current gen, the world detail is stunning. but if you need 30fps+ wait for the PC and next gen

Overdoziz

Banned
Had to get used to it at first, but now I absolutely love the driving controls and physics. It's also great to finally drive on some dirt roads again, really missed that in GTA IV.

There are trade offs. Overall, you will get a better frame rate on the PS3 during the actual game. 360 has better frame rates during cut scenes. Either way the difference is fairly minimal. Check out the digital foundry thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=679545

That's incorrect, as is shown in the DF video they use for comparison, overall the 360 version has a better framerate but the dips are more pronounced on the 360 than on the PS3.

I guess we expected it to be similar to the gameplay trailer Rockstar put out, the one that Rockstar said was taken from the PS3 version. How silly of us.

Well, let's be real here. I think most had our expectations set that the reveal trailers were not going to be what we were going to play. If a person thought they'd look like those, then they have ignored every open world game ever made.

game is too ambitious IMO

tried both ps3 and xbox 360 versions, both look identical to me (the DF ground texture issue is irrelevant to me since both have poor IQ and framerate)

an amazing achievement on current gen, the world detail is stunning. but if you need 30fps+ wait for the PC and next gen

does it always have to be about the graphics though? the gameplay is great

Tobor

Just picked up my copy at Best Buy. They had a table right when you walk in with stacks of both versions and a display of PS3 bundles.

The lady at the register said all she's been ringing up all day is GTAV. Lol.

Unicorn

Looks like DF favors the ps3 in spite of hardly noticeable weaker framerate. Texture streaming is better and a bigger impact for gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom