• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT| It's Time To Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
About to preorder this game but just wanted to know something first. What's the general consensus for GTA games regarding xbox vs ps? Trying to figure out which console to grab it for. Do I still get game/patch updates if I'm not on Gold?

Yeah. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either version. Just get the one where your friends are.

About to preorder this game but just wanted to know something first. What's the general consensus for GTA games regarding xbox vs ps? Trying to figure out which console to grab it for. Do I still get game/patch updates if I'm not on Gold?
Rockstar games during this gen have run significantly better on 360, but all signs are pointing towards virtual equality between the two versions this time around.

I would still grab it for 360 though, all other things being equal.

Dudes in here getting heated over a map...with zero context of how that relates to the actual game or anything...

Spoiler culture has reached a new low

shield

I don't think you can, because if so more people would run around with such tags.

g7f5NU4.jpg

I wish developers themselves did a performance comparison between versions on multiplat releases. It's not like I'm going to skip the game, and having that bit of extra information would be really great.

JeTmAn81

The map is a huge part of the identity of a GTA game. Of course it's something you wouldn't want spoiled if you want to go in totally blind.

Andrew.

Banned
I agree, it's a bit sensitive, but I don't think you can blame someone for wanting to go into a game completely blacked out.

If that's the case then you shouldnt be anywhere near this thread.

Everyone has a different definition as to what they consider a spoiler.

Dudes in here getting heated over a map...with zero context of how that relates to the actual game or anything...

Spoiler culture has reached a new low

Everybody is different. It's a tough call. It's not hard to just spoiler and link stuff instead of a direct image. Anybody that doesn't have hoverzoom on their browser isn't doing it right anyway.

If that's the case then you shouldnt be anywhere near this thread.

Everyone has a different definition as to what they consider a spoiler.

This too, if a map is a spoiler then you shouldn't even really be in the OT, I mean ... at that point, are the trailers spoilers? If we post info from screenshots?
With that said, asking again:

How does R* Social and Crews work, does it pull from the Crew list on the website or do I have to have all those GAF members as friends on my 360 in order to have them come into my game?

I agree, it's a bit sensitive, but I don't think you can blame someone for wanting to go into a game completely blacked out.

I think you can when they're clearly not on blackout. Hint: visiting this thread does not qualify as a blackout. You make a bailout.gif post and gtfo until the game's in your hands. Instead this guy is making everyone uncomfortable nerding out about the map.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
How does R* Social and Crews work, does it pull from the Crew list on the website or do I have to have all those GAF members as friends on my 360 in order to have them come into my game?

Good fuckin question. I'd like to know as well. I didn't play Max Payne so I'm not sure how the social club functionality is.

Con_Smith

Banned
The hype for this game has me in a weird place. Usually I'm the type who goes out of their way to get as much info as possible including spoilers for games I'm hyped for. Right now I can't even find the heart to click on anything outside of map information. Won't even go to 4chan for fear of seeing something, and haven't paid any attention to the leaked stuff outside of the radio tracks (don't even know the hosts outside of Lazlow and maybe kavinski.)

What's happening to me Gaf? It's like the one game I wouldn't have self control over is making me stay pure till release day.

I think you can when they're clearly not on blackout. Hint: visiting this thread does not qualify as a blackout. You make a bailout.gif post and gtfo until the game's in your hands. Instead this guy is making everyone uncomfortable nerding out about the map.

Fair point, I agree.

That awkward moment when someone at work asks, what you doing on your week off then Phil?

I reply, I'm going to Los Santos.

They reply, that sounds great where is that?

They didn't get it GAF, I hope you do.

Alienous

Good fuckin question. I'd like to know as well. I didn't play Max Payne so I'm not sure how the social club functionality is.

When matchmaking (putting you into a free-roam lobby) it tries to put you in one that a fellow crew member, or multiple crew members, are in.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
This too, if a map is a spoiler then you shouldn't even really be in the OT, I mean ... at that point, are the trailers spoilers? If we post info from screenshots?

It's quite simple really. If it's been released officially by Rockstar, it's not a spoiler. If it comes from a leak it's a spoiler.

Orbis

Um....no. You don't get to decide what's a spoiler and what isn't. What isn't "important" to you may be important to others. The fact is that I have NEVER seen a map for a GTA game until I've brought the game home and either inserted the disc or looked at the map inside the game case. It might not be important to you but it's important to me that this not be spoiled prior to release.The map so far hasn't even been officially released. Only leaked therefore it is a spoiler.

If I went ahead and posted a big story spoiler there would be a fucking shitstorm and I'd be banned instantly. And rightfully so I might add. A spoiler is a spoiler and people should refrain from posting them whether they think most people have seen it before or not and whether they think it's an important part of the game to be spoiled or not.

At least the guy that posted a spoiler yesterday was genuinely sorry when he realised what he did and edited instantly. Time will tell if the person that posted the map will do the same. If so I'll be less mad(and will actully bother to edit his post out of my quote).
Oh come on, surely you can see the difference between revealing a map which is fully known from the start of the game, or even before it, and "big story spoilers". The former certainly doesn't deserve a "fuck you" response. Most of the trailers and screenshots probably spoil various aspects of the game for some people, I'm sure. But I'd expect a more, "Oh man, I was hoping to avoid that information" kind of reaction.

is not a matter of faith, is a matter of build hype and respect for the players without the game

But why GTAV.

I understand Bioshock Infinite or Last of Us (Hell even those games got some REAL gameplay videos before release) but GTAV? Videos could result in a bigger hype now. Look at all those people who go to reddit and clicking every fucking video because they think it could be gameplay.

dreamfall

That awkward moment when someone at work asks, what you doing on your week off then Phil?

I reply, I'm going to Los Santos.

They reply, that sounds great where is that?

They didn't get it GAF, I hope you do.

Baha! That is awesome!

I'm going to Los Santos as well- some will never understand!

Notes from the Game Informer GTA Online Reveal (stuff we didn't know / or I didn't know)

• Your GTA Online character does not speak.
  • Default match making matches you up with your friends first, then your crew members, then fills in with random people along the same skill level in the same area of the world that you are in.
  • When you are in passive mode, you are not allowed to fire. Passive mode is deactivated once you fire.

I wonder how Passive mode will work... If you drive up to a guy and run up to him and don't fire, you're still in passive mode, invincible. As soon as you fire you go out of passive mode... but that gives you a distinct advantage of timing, as you can wait for the player to turn around. Same with dividing up the cash. They keep saying how dividing up the cash unfairly may make other players waste you and take your money .. but What's to stop you from dviiding it unfairly, and then immediately wasting the guy as SOON as you divide it up.

unsure of how this stuff will work, and sadly every media outlet just parrots the same thing without asking any questions about it.

antitrop

The hype for this game has me in a weird place. Usually I'm the type who goes out of their way to get as much info as possible including spoilers for games I'm hyped for. Right now I can't even find the heart to click on anything outside of map information. Won't even go to 4chan for fear of seeing something, and haven't paid any attention to the leaked stuff outside of the radio tracks (don't even know the hosts outside of Lazlow and maybe kavinski.)

What's happening to me Gaf? It's like the one game I wouldn't have self control over is making me stay pure till release day.
I was like you for The Last of Us. I didn't know shit about that game going into it.

For GTA V? I really couldn't care less about "spoilers" that are outside of the actual plot.

Con_Smith

Banned
Good fuckin question. I'd like to know as well.

In MP3 you have a sort of tabbed window in multiplayer that lists your friends and a separate one for crews. You can check your crew page and select someone whose game you can hop in if it's open.

From the little I read GTA:O will have a matchmaking system that tries to get you in a game with your friendslist or your crewmates before sending you pub. I'm sure there will be some sort of system to find and enter your crew games but we'll have to wait a bit more to find out.

JPodz

Banned
Aside from the IGN stuff last week, are there any decent recent previews/interviews that I could read while at work today? There's gotta be some stuff I've missed regarding this....

kris.

Banned
Notes from the Game Informer GTA Online Reveal (stuff we didn't know / or I didn't know)

• Your GTA Online character does not speak.
  • Default match making matches you up with your friends first, then your crew members, then fills in with random people along the same skill level in the same area of the world that you are in.
  • When you are in passive mode, you are not allowed to fire. Passive mode is deactivated once you fire.

I wonder how Passive mode will work... If you drive up to a guy and run up to him and don't fire, you're still in passive mode, invincible. As soon as you fire you go out of passive mode... but that gives you a distinct advantage of timing, as you can wait for the player to turn around. Same with dividing up the cash. They keep saying how dividing up the cash unfairly may make other players waste you and take your money .. but What's to stop you from dviiding it unfairly, and then immediately wasting the guy as SOON as you divide it up.

unsure of how this stuff will work, and sadly every media outlet just parrots the same thing without asking any questions about it.

That's curious. Can you like run someone over with a car and still be in passive mode or do you exit it as soon as you make contact with the person? Because that could create a lot of issues.

Ogni-XR21

First GTA game I get myself. Kind of hyped for this one, GTA Online is a huge chunk of that hype.

Accidentally I have 2 weeks off right now so I will take a plunge on day 1.

dreamfall

i didn't bother checking the last couple pages of this thread so whats the discussion here? the map size? did you guys see the latest on the map size on kotaku? looks pretty damn big to me and and satisfied.

Scaled equally to other maps in GTA and Red Dead..

Is this sarcasm?! What the fuck is this- there's another thread for it!

Select few are upset about seeing the map, somebody reposts it as a cruel joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom