• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Grisby

Yeah it's funny when stuff like that happens. Like escaping down those rapids and nudging just barely up the coast and failing. Like... Get out and push it..
Escaping the police one time I hopped into some rapids hoping to get away. I did end up escaping but Franklin fell down every single one of those rapids.

Needed some Benny Hill at that moment. Hell, a lot of moments.
Just hoping that the online isn't a total mess in a week, they'll get a lot of bad press for it and it'll be frustrating.
I don't know man, all those peeps that bought the game. 16 player online. I bet it'll be rocky for a bit.

CSX

So anyone else's ps3 copy has to freeze and load once in a blue moon?

Mine is the original phat with original hdd

Escaping the police one time I hopped into some rapids hoping to get away. I did end up escaping but Franklin fell down every single one of those rapids.

Needed some Benny Hill at that moment. Hell, a lot of moments.

I don't know man, all those peeps that bought the game. 16 player online. I bet it'll be rocky for a bit.

Yeah, I have a hard time believing that they're going to be able to support the online for a couple weeks. I dunno how much server captiol Rockstar and Take2 have. I don't know if there's enough server bandwidth in the world for it, haha.

Beaulieu

Ugh, my game must have glitched a while back or something. I never got an email for the first first bail bond mission with the guy's info. I went to where he's supposed to be and didn't see him. What I do have is an email from Maude asking why I haven't caught him yet.

seems like I have the same problem. Never received an e-mail or anything about bail bond and I can't call Maude, she never picks up...

Heist 3 question...

Are we supposed to get any money at all from it?

So far I only got money from the first heist.

No. Why?
FIB assholes.

Michael specific mission spoiler

It's so funny to see how excited Michael is about working with Salomon, he looks like a kid in a candy store when he's in his office lol.

I. Loved! That. I've only begun that set of missions, but it's really endearing me to Michael (who was already my favourite). I've only just started the
Solomon Richards
missions, but I love the interplay between Michael and
Solomon.
Finally a mission-giver who isn't a fucking asshole or psychopath. My perfect ending for Michael would be
him reuniting with his family and then going into the pictures business with Solomon. It'd be like Be Cool or something. He'd have a great job, a great boss, and his family wouldn't hate his guts, and he wouldn't have to be shot at by cops most of the time.
Crossing my fingers!

Side note: Trevor continues to be batshit hilarious and just plain batshit. His dialogue with everybody is gold. Him trolling Franklin mercilessly is funny. And his weird crush on
Molly, Devin's assistant
is hilarious.

Spat_triate

Holy Shit! I didn't know that you could raid weed farms. I was just driving around Braddock Pass and I got a "stash" activity marker.

having to elude the cops so frequently is really putting a damper on my enjoyment. Not to mention they apparently have a tracking bug on you and can converge on you no matter where you are most the time.
The police are deadly, but easy to get away from. If you switch cars they'll sometimes drive right by you. If your stars are flashing they'll search the last place they saw you, so hide in an alley and turn your headlights off. If you get 3 or more stars, though, you'll have to outrun them then pull away and hide. They're definitely harder and smarter than past GTA, but it's a welcome challenge in my perspective.

matthieuC

Has anyone been able to buy the golf place? 150 million seems...uh, way beyond insane.

Stocks are the way to go I think. Sure you can do the exploit, but I know I don't find that fun. I just experienced a random event where I had to give a guy a ride to the airport. After I took him he rewarded me by suggesting which stock to invest in. I made a ton.

when you go to stats and it shows how many missions you've done that is for that character or combined? Can't believe I've only done 13 missions.

The police are deadly, but easy to get away from. If you switch cars they'll sometimes drive right by you. If your stars are flashing they'll search the last place they saw you, so hide in an alley and turn your headlights off. If you get 3 or more stars, though, you'll have to outrun them then pull away and hide. They're definitely harder and smarter than past GTA, but it's a welcome challenge in my perspective.

thanks, admittedly I haven't done much switching rides or killing lights, I'll try it. Whats the deal with having one star and then for just I guess the fuck of it they decide to give you another star, that annoys me to no end.

Going to ask again for people who managed to get to 150 Million, what's the best way to earn money post game? I imagine the stocks but which ones?

MajorPain

Stocks are the way to go I think. Sure you can do the exploit, but I know I don't find that fun. I just experienced a random event where I had to give a guy a ride to the airport. After I took him he rewarded me by suggesting which stock to invest in. I made a ton.

How much should you let a stock go up before you sell it?

tookhster

Experienced the "car glitch" and can't really figure out how it works. Stole an awesome car, brought it to Los Santos Customs, put maybe $20,000 worth of work into it. I park it in Franklin's aunt's house in the ghetto. A mission or two later, I get a call from Lester who
tells me that Franklin gets a new house in the hills, so I go to that house
and now my tricked out car is gone... Nothing in the garage. It's a bummer.

Surprised this glitch got beyond the beta testing because it seems like a pretty common one and easy to spot. Still can't really figure out how car ownership works. I'm sort of tentative to buy airplanes and the like for fear that they'll just vanish.

I might be dumb and you already might know this, but aren't you supposed to put those cars into the character's "special" garage, like Franklin's on Grove St? That's where I put all my custom cars and it's worked so far. Whenever I put one in a regular garage it disappears later. I think that's just temporary storage.

I have to admit, I'm not a fan of the stock market. It feels like Rockstar was trying too hard and ended up devaluing what should be the real money makers in the game: Properties and businesses purchased and funded by the money coming from heists, and used to launder said dirty money. This layer of stocks on top of that while the property/business ownership does little in the grand scheme of things was a poor decision IMO.

The loop is simple:

1. Do heists.
2. Buy legit businesses with money from heists
3. Do business related missions
4. Get funds and materials from business missions that go back into the business
5. Profit from daily income as owner. Get more if you do more.

That's it. That makes for a bunch of easy to design content that can keep the good times rolling long after the campaign is finished without the need to use exploits or know the ins and outs before doing missions that will affect the stock prices.

I gotta say, I thought the misogyny comments were the usual hyperbole, but this game is something. It's seems every female character in this game is a ho that sleeps around, seemingly all they're good for. Franklin even casually mentions that her aunt was one in her younger years for no particular reason. :lol The Houser brothers might actually have deep psychological issues regarding women.

Game is pretty much the next-gen sequel to San Andreas, which makes it loads of fun. And just like San Andreas, it's fun despite its shit framerate and shit controls, somehow.

Just for the sake of argument, there are no "good" male characters either. I think Franklin might be the only character in the game who is not psychologically debilitated or social fuck up. Trevor is a psycho, Michael is a horrible husband father and friend, all of Trevor's friends are moonbat insane or weak morons, the Psychologist (at least 2 or 4 Psych missions in) is a blowhard doctor scamming his patients, the FIB guys are all totally messed up horrible people, Lester has as many issues as anyone, every minor male character (Beverly, the Yogi, the Tennis instructor, Lazlo, etc) are all sex obsessed home wreckers, Lamar is a total idiot...

Franklin is the only character who is not completely insane or totally fucked up... And he's a repoman gang banger, so not exactly an upstanding citizen.

I agree there are no female characters in the game that are models for anybody. Maybe 1 (a random encounter girl who I met on the highway with Trevor... though she died for me, and I dunno if she dies every time, she was another thief), but out of the dozens and dozens of male characters, there is 1 who is not a total social fuck up... and he's even a stretch.

I might be dumb and you already might know this, but aren't you supposed to put those cars into the character's "special" garage, like Franklin's on Grove St? That's where I put all my custom cars and it's worked so far. Whenever I put one in a regular garage it disappears later. I think that's just temporary storage.

Ohhh, I did not know that. I know Franklin had that garage but I didn't know what it was, honestly. Cool... I'll do that going forward.

Does investing in stock and then replaying missions make you more money? Or does it not count?

I believe replaying missions does not impact what happens the first time you play the mission, it's just for score keeping. For example, after the first heist
where your partner dumps his bike and loses a split of the cash, if you replay the mission when you're advanced into the story and jump off your bike to collect what he drops, you don't suddenly get more cash for your character
. It's just for score and trying different things.

Just finished. Didn't look at the time but i think i clocked in near 40 hours. Did a decent amount of side missions. Pretty much completed anything that had it's own icon.

BEST.GTA.EVER. Just everything was perfect. The pacing, story, graphics, radio stations, GTA humor, controls, new mechanics. Switching between characters was so damn fun. Can't believe they pulled it off so well. The pacing is the biggest improvement. I tried to replay GTA4 a couple of weeks ago and the first chunk of missions are just so god fucking awful.The low amount of tedious useless missions is nice. The length felt perfect. GOD BLESS the new checkpoint system. My biggest gripe with GTA4. My ONLY major complaint is getting rid of wanted stars. Is there a specific thing i have to do? Sometimes it just stops randomly even if they're close by but sometimes they just won't go away for while, very annoying. And i hated 99% of the time they would spawn a cop right in front of you.

Now for the story. Easily my favorite one in the series. Even though the ending
(i picked option C)
is typical GTA, they did it really fun and satisfying.

Favorite moments:
1. Grove street shoot out. So fucking good. Got chills. I didn't pass the area before the mission so the nostalgia hit me hard.
2. Heist missions. All of them were really fun but the bank heist with the super armor. HOLY SHIT! so badass! and what made it even more great is i unlocked Patrick McReary right before the mission. Added fun easter egg dialogue and was just perfect timing. Amazing.
3. Trevor. I honestly thought i was going to like him least but he turned out to be my favorite character. His transition sequences were always hilarious. The one with him shitting was funny as hell. The hipster dialogue with Michael was fucking hilarious. All of his conversations were great. Again i can't stress how they were able to pull off 3 great interesting characters.
4. Lazlow. holy crap a lot of funny screen time! I lost it when Michael tattooed a cock on his chest!! :lol
5. LOVED the assassination missions. I could do 100 of those and never get bored.

A lot of fun missions though. They really cut off all the fat that suffered in past GTA games.

Need help with one side mission.
Can i kill Josh the real estate dude at all?
I really want to clip the dude.

Yeah, I gotta say, the top half of the map, flying, and being able to buy property has really taken this whole package to the next level for me. I'm prepared to be lost for another 50 hours at the rate I'm going.

I think I'm gonna walk across the map and see how long it takes me :p

I have to admit, I'm not a fan of the stock market. It feels like Rockstar was trying too hard and ended up devaluing what should be the real money makers in the game: Properties and businesses purchased and funded by the money coming from heists, and used to launder said dirty money. This layer of stocks on top of that while the property/business ownership does little in the grand scheme of things was a poor decision IMO.

The loop is simple:

1. Do heists.
4. Get funds and materials from business missions that go back into the business

That's it. That makes for a bunch of easy to design content that can keep the good times rolling long after the campaign is finished without the need to use exploits or know the ins and outs before doing missions that will affect the stock prices.

agreed, the businesses all feel pretty tacked on to me anyway, not even being able to enter most (all?) of them for instance as well as the bizarre cost vs reward that a few of them suffer from. I clearly recall rockstar saying there wasn't even going to be properties up until the final six or so months from release, looks like they did a rush job of it from my pov. Vice city is the only game that's ever truly nailed it imo.

inky

cZnHYhl.jpg

Enjoying the life.

Gaz_RB

The loop is simple:

1. Do heists.

I agree! I just want more stuff to do after the story. And that's not Rockstar's fault, they put a lot in, that's more of a compliment that I want to keep playing. I'd even do more generic heists or assassination missions. It's be cool if there was more generic assault missions too. Like drug wars in TBOGT. Loved that stuff.

Chuck

Still without luck
WOW

I guess I helped a dude who had his bike stolen and he just sent me an email that he's a millionaire. He also gave me $100,000 of stock in his company. Crazy!

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Im still early in the game, will there ever be a way to repair and modify cop cars? Or is that still not allowed in this game

jambo

Without spoiling can someone give me some vague hints for the whereabouts of Larry Tupper?

I.e. Trevor's second bounty hunt.

Megasoum

Banned
WOW

I guess I helped a dude who had his bike stolen and he just sent me an email that he's a millionaire. He also gave me $100,000 of stock in his company. Crazy!

Dammit, I keep hearing about that dude, now I hope I didn't miss it at some point (I'm doing all the events I catch on the map).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm curious to know, do Trevor and Franklin get along? A character like Trevor in real life would absolutely be a downright racist. GTA always pushes the boundaries of taste and I think it would be an awesome dynamic if the two are always at each others throat. I mean gaming are tackling all these hard hitting subjects of torture and sexuality, it's only a matter of time until race issues are also explored.

Yeah despite holding off GTA I'm kinda obsessed with the game lol, seen over 5 hours of lets play videos.

Franklin's best friend wants to hang out with Trevor. Trevor has no 'race issues'.

Omni

Took the Dinghy to the in-land lake or whatever it is and found a random stash of weapons/bombs and body armour by a crashed 747.

Underwater is so cool, hah

Top Bottom