• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

duckroll

How in the hell are you supposed to make money (legit wise don't want to cheat)? All I want to do is buy the LS heliport but 400 grand is impossible. Oh and the stock market is shit unless I can't tell what I'm doing with it.

400k is nothing. In my game, Michael got a million bucks from the first heist, Franklin got close to 300k. Franklin's missions with Lester are all investment opportunities too. Just start the mission and pay attention to what Lester says. Put all your money into the stock which is going to go up, then complete the mission. After that just sell all the stock to make a killing.

Sometimes you can also get stock tips from other in-game stuff like random encounters, the radio, etc.

Can anyone else confirm bloody footprints were removed? Just weird given it's been in IV Red Dead, and Max Payne 3.

Also, how does the chop app work? I have a Lumia 920 phone so I can't use it but I can borrow my sister's or something.

Edit: Holy crap, threw a sticky bomb at a set of police car and they flew into the air and one bounced off the other and hit me. This game <3

I think the only thing I miss is the hidden items throughout town they used to do. I loved finding a hidden stash of money or weapons stashed here and there.

Saiyu

Just got it yesterday.

I don't know what it is but it has that something (and a lot more) that IV was missing. Just finish the first mission after unlocking character switching and am driving to the hospital as Franklin to have a go in the helicopters. Crusing down in the mini cooper I hear (random encounter spoiler)
a lady screaming stop him, that's mine and see a dude legging it down the street. Try to block him with the mini by ramming into a building but he just runs by. At this point adrenaline hits and I just ditch the car and give chase. I follow him but can't gain on him no matter what (I got scared seeing my health go down from sprinting) so I pull out the 9mm and aim for his legs, spraying all over the place and dropping him and an innocent bystander. Feeling gutted I'm even more determined to catch up to him, so chase for another few streets before shooting again, dropping him, and having to shoot a third and final time where this time he doesn't get up. Annoyed at going down the gun route so quickly I pick up the cash and walk back the long journey to return the money.

Random encounter done when I go to the hospital I break into a ambulance thinking it's my right to play paramedic in Los Santos only to have 2 actual paramedics haul me out to teach me otherwise. My sister (A GTA 2 veteran after playing it with me too many years ago) comes downstairs demanding to start a new game so I make triple sure I won't lose my save and let her loose where the first thing she does after being given keys to the city is get a prostitute and go to the strip club. And she picked the other car in Franklins first mission....

I haven't had this much fun with GTA in a long time.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
- not being able to get out of a car and keep the engine running and car door open
- Burger Shot / Cluckin' Bell

? You know you can leave your door open/car running still right? When you stop to get out (after you tap triange or whatever) you just need to move quickly away from the car and they won't bother to stop and shut the door. This seems to leave the engine going as well as I have noticed the get up and go time between sitting down and gone is shorter.

Sprinting away from the car is the trick. You can't just walk away from it immediately like in 4.

So I was running errands after beating the story last night and get a call to Frank about picking up a cab fair for a regular who is seriously sauced up. Swoop the guy, make light conversation .. he pukes out the car window and compliments/bemoans my driving the whole way. Where were we going? A liquor store! I almost drove away before walking inside, clubbing the guy with my AA12, holding up the store clerk and finally ... cover dude in gasoline and start a structure fire.

Was a great little 5 minute distraction from saving up for that MOTHER FUCKING golf course. So pissed off that I finished Lester's missions so early. But they were soooooo goooood.gif

Robot Pants

Wellp finished it finally. Kinda disappointed to be honest. The story was amazing in the beginning, and as always ran out of steam in the middle and barely picked up towards the end. It was at least a decent length though, not way too long like 4 was. Just had a lot of missed potential with the characters. Trevor was great though.

I guess there's still a lot to do. Stunt jumps, gold missions, parachuting, buying up property, general havoc. I just hoped this game would be something more. It started off SO GOOD but.... Same thing happened with GTA4.

Whatever. GOTY for me is The Last of Us.

I was almost CERTAIN this game was gonna be the Game of the Generation for me. Doesn't look to be the case.

I had a great sequence of events just now

*Random Event Spoilers* (nothing big, but people who are early read at your own risk)

After ~35 hours of gameplay (with only 19 main missions and 34% complete) I finally decided to do some Taxi fares just to see what it's like in this game. Well, everything was all good for the first 3 fares, though I was gradually being taken further and further from where the area I wanted to be. The fourth fare though....*SIGH*. Picked him up in Vespucci beach and the destination was somewhere in the Zancudo area. Needless to say it took forever going through those winding roads, and I flipped the taxi numerous times looking for off-road shortcuts. Well, when I finally got to my destination,
this fool had the nerve to take off without paying. After all that effort? NAH SON, Taxi Driver Trevor's not having that. Held him up, got my fare, and overkilled him with a sticky bomb.

Now I'm stranded on the Great Ocean Highway because my taxi won't start anymore and I manage to steal one of those big GMC looking trucks without getting killed by traffic. On my way back south to Los Santos the map flashes, but the event is actually off the highway in the countryside forcing me to go back a little bit before I stumble on
a drug deal gone wrong. A circle of 4 trucks with, at least 10 dead gang members (maybe Vagos and Aztecas) laying around, and one guy dead in his truck with his head on the horn. One of them has enough life left to grunt out "They took the money down the hill" so I continue to investigate. Upon reaching the briefcase of cash ($25,000!) the guy close to it tells me not to take it or I'll be a dead man. Meh, I've heard worse from better. Of course I take it, then prepare myself for battle but.....nothing. "Huh" I think. "Whatever." I get back into my truck and continue on to Los Santos

Maybe 20 seconds after getting back to the freeway,
2 trucks are hot in pursuit and shooting at me from behind. Screw this, I'm Trevor, and there are no side streets to lose these guys. I do a hard handbreak turn and use my truck to provide cover. Out of nowhere I'm 1 vs 4 in a heated shootout blocking traffic when all I did was stumble on a briefcase of money.
2 AK mags, 3 grenades, and many explosions later, the enemies are dead, but now I have 3 stars. *SIGH* WHAT IS HAPPENING. Now I have to lose the cops. Aha, there's a side road I could go throu- OMG THAT'S THE MILITARY BASE. U turn, back to the freeway. This is a long LONG stretch without exits, and I'm in a beat up trucks with 2 blown tires so I do the only logical thing- try to escape on foot after jumping off a bridge. Well.... I got shot and killed in midair after jumping off :|

All in all, the medical bill was only $3,000 so I came out ahead. Then I took my frustration out with Rampage #3 which is incredibly satisfying and one of the times where combat seems to work 100%. I replayed it 3 times just because it's such mindless fun.

This is a good game.

Alienous

Wellp finished it finally. Kinda disappointed to be honest. The story was amazing in the beginning, and as always ran out of steam in the middle and barely picked up towards the end. It was at least a decent length though, not way too long like 4 was. Just had a lot of missed potential with the characters. Trevor was great though.

I guess there's still a lot to do. Stunt jumps, gold missions, parachuting, buying up property, general havoc. I just hoped this game would be something more. It started off SO GOOD but.... Same thing happened with GTA4.

Whatever. GOTY for me is The Last of Us.

I was almost CERTAIN this game was gonna be the Game of the Generation for me. Doesn't look to be the case.

I'll agree. It starts off really strong, and you can tell what it wants to be. But the ending feels like an after thought to me. Playing through the game I was wondering "How do you conclude this as well as it started?" and GTA V never really has an answer. I mean, in my personal opinion, the finale is really poor.

They should certainly look into having a writer take over the narrative. The team are great at writing characters, but the actual story is fairly poor. The game is enjoyable, but I'm just waiting for GTA Online now to get my gameplay fix.

Chuck

Still without luck
Also, how does the chop app work? I have a Lumia 920 phone so I can't use it but I can borrow my sister's or something.
Basically you feed and throw a ball for chop in the yard, while also doing those terribly controlling and ridiculously hard flight control knock offs. You run out of money and have to wait until later because the only way to get money is do the terrible minigames, or wait.

It's garbage.

The
smugglers run
type missions you unlock when you buy the hanger are awesome. Hood cam in this game is amazing, I swear I drive better with hood cam

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You mean so many contextual right d-pad actions.

Not exactly. Like the first stealth kill I did...I was like, holy crap, what? The prompt pops up and you're like, damn! I didn't know you could do that. Again when it tells you you can do a quick 180 and fire behind you. Controls are just generally way more complex than your average game.

Basically you feed and throw a ball for chop in the yard, while also doing those terribly controlling and ridiculously hard flight control knock offs. You run out of money and have to wait until later because the only way to get money is do the terrible minigames, or wait.

It's garbage.

That sounds awful, surprised Rockstar would do such a thing. At the very least they could put it in game as an actual app for your phone. Doubt I'll bother unless the Chop tricks are particularly great.

Worst thing removed from GTAIV is that the rockets can no longer skid along the ground :/

doby

Has Rockstar said anything about Android versions of the apps? They should've been ready at launch. It's not as if Android only makes up 10% of the market or something.

They've said its coming. Kinda unacceptable when they delayed the game 6 months, anyone would have thought the app integration was a last minute decision.

Exploring in this game is so much fun , I came across a mine site last night and though "do you. Think I an climb into those massive dump trucks" , of course you can :) , I then proceeded to drive it down the freeway head on collecting cars in front of me.

Also random encounter question
i came across a hippy talking about aliens and how humans are a waste of space and I should just kill myself. Talk to him for about 5 mins , but still nothing, just stayed as a blue dot. Any idea what I was suppose todo ?

duckroll

Not exactly. Like the first stealth kill I did...I was like, holy crap, what? The prompt pops up and you're like, damn! I didn't know you could do that. Again when it tells you you can do a quick 180 and fire behind you. Controls are just generally way more complex than your average game.

Even vehicle commands are more complex. I've talked to people who didn't even know there were L1/R1 rudder controls for the plane because they missed the tutorial pop-up. There's a guy in the thread earlier who forgot about the L3 landing gear function. Lol.

doby

Exploring in this game is so much fun , I came across a mine site last night and though "do you. Think I an climb into those massive dump trucks" , of course you can :) , I then proceeded to drive it down the freeway head on collecting cars in front of me.

Also random encounter question
i came across a hippy talking about aliens and how humans are a waste of space and I should just kill myself. Talk to him for about 5 mins , but still nothing, just stayed as a blue dot. Any idea what I was suppose todo ?

Id also like to know this, I presumed nothing happened because I was the wrong character.

Dresden

I replayed the first heist with an all-cheapo set of helpers, and basically the same events (with more fumbling over the radio) played out as they did in my original playthrough of expensive sidekicks (Eddie Toh, Paige, etc). It really is worth it to go cheap in the beginning to take advantage of the rewards later on.

Codeblew

I'm curious to know, do Trevor and Franklin get along? A character like Trevor in real life would absolutely be a downright racist. GTA always pushes the boundaries of taste and I think it would be an awesome dynamic if the two are always at each others throat. I mean gaming are tackling all these hard hitting subjects of torture and sexuality, it's only a matter of time until race issues are also explored.

Yeah despite holding off GTA I'm kinda obsessed with the game lol, seen over 5 hours of lets play videos.

Yeah, because all rednecks are racist.

inky

Can anyone point me in the direction of the quarry? I'm starting to lose time on finding the first outlaw..

East of the desert airport (not the Makenzie Hangar, the big one in the desert), just past the highway. It's the area that looks like a maze.

Question on second heist

how much flight school do I need to do with Micheal before the heist is avaliable? I've stolen the sub and the chopper but there are no more missions for Trevor

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone point me in the direction of the quarry? I'm starting to lose time on finding the first outlaw..
I think it's "quartz" something or other on the map, near Trevor's starting area. Once you find the quarry area you need to drive around a bit until you find a lower 'crater' type area. That's where he is.

Edit: beaten.

Robot Pants

I'll agree. It starts off really strong, and you can tell what it wants to be. But the ending feels like an after thought to me. Playing through the game I was wondering "How do you conclude this as well as it started?" and GTA V never really has an answer. I mean, in my personal opinion, the finale is really poor.

They should certainly look into having a writer take over the narrative. The team are great at writing characters, but the actual story is fairly poor. The game is enjoyable, but I'm just waiting for GTA Online now to get my gameplay fix.

Agreed 100%
Also, worst soundtrack in any GTA game.

I replayed the first heist with an all-cheapo set of helpers, and basically the same events (with more fumbling over the radio) played out as they did in my original playthrough of expensive sidekicks (Eddie Toh, Paige, etc). It really is worth it to go cheap in the beginning to take advantage of the rewards later on.

thanks, I'll go cheap on the rest of them then. Was wondering about that.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fastest way of getting a helicopter with Franklin? 70% into the game

doby

Question on second heist

how much flight school do I need to do with Micheal before the heist is avaliable? I've stolen the sub and the chopper but there are no more missions for Trevor

Im not sure you have to? I presumed if you didn't he'd just be a bad pilot when you're not in control and possibly make mistakes (like hiring cheap/inexperienced guys for heists).

Not sure though as I did it straight away, got just over half way down the list (mostly golds, a few silvers) and I had 100/100 flight ability.

Megasoum

Banned
Michael specific mission spoiler

It's so funny to see how excited Michael is about working with Salomon, he looks like a kid in a candy store when he's in his office lol.

Grinchy

Banned
Damn this game is just too good. I can't stop playing it. I have midterms next week and I have been trading sleep for GTA time already. Earlier I turned off the HUD and minimap and just drove around for like 40 minutes. I saw a store, it gave me the prompt that I could rob him, and that was that. The cops came and put a bullet in my head lol

foxtrot3d

Banned
Question regarding a Trevor mission:
So I've beaten the main story and now Trevor's mom shows up asking him to steal a truck load of pharmaceutical drugs. But I have no idea where to find these trucks? Any idea?

Also, on an unrelated note, where can I get scuba diving gear? I got oceans to explore but no idea how.

R* definitely need to fix this shit. The car saving needs to be fixed. The one thing I love about GTA games are the cars. I used a car I purchased with Michael which was pimped out to the max as the getaway vehicle and since it was Franklin that drove it, I saw the car parked outside Franklin's apartment(that is after switching to Michael then back to Franklin). I then park the car in Franklin's garage so I can still have the car but the garage became glitched and won't even open for Franklin.

Top Bottom