• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

SirNinja

Agreed. Some of the properties dotted around cost millions. Is there no way to get quick millions?

Stock market after beating the game. Save all the assassination side-missions (the ones Franklin does for Lester) until then, as those present obvious investment opportunities.

Careful using the Bawsaq stock market though; it's still a bit glitchy due to the massive amount of people (ab)using it right now.

Well, fucking wow. I haven't sat down and played a game that long for such a long time, it felt great. Just finished, what an amazing game.

I'm ready for GTA Online.

What aiming mode is everyone using? I've been going pure free aim to get a feel for shooting for when GTAOnline hits but my first
Rampage with Trevor was hard as hell to barely pass with a bronze.

Omni

Holy fuck, :lol

I saw a parked car on the side of the road in the desert. It was a random event and came up as a blue dot on my map. I got out of my car to check it out, and next thing I know I'm being tasered. I then wake up on the train tracks in my underwear. Not sure if I lost money or anything... but wow

nib95

Banned
Got one other random question. When you tune your car, say EMS Upgrade Level 4, if it doesn't show any difference in performance on the bars (Top Speed, Acceleration etc) is there no point upgrading to it?

Raptomex

I have an announcement to make. I have achieved 100% completion. Using no cheats (not that I even know any). I had the week off and it took 6 days. So now I can say, once again, I have completed every 3D GTA to 100%. I did use the guide after completion of the story. Took around 50 hours. And once again there's too many goddamn collectibles. Not as tedious as the pigeons in 4 but there's more collectibles and it's the same annoying, time consuming, stuff.
Funny, the hidden packages are not required for 100 percent
. But all the other collectibles are. That made me laugh. Tomorrow I will just fuck around. And I can replay missions. I'm excited. It's 4 am. Goodnight gaf.

Tankshell

Haven't been this addicted to a game since FFVII. Too many late nights this week combined with a new job = not the best idea, but just can't stop!

Anyway, flew the blimp to the top of chilliad, landed it and then made it explode into a ball of flames. Strangely, police patrol cars spawned right on top of the mountain! A bit stupid, but funny as hell.

dreamfall

I have an announcement to make. I have achieved 100% completion. Using no cheats (not that I even know any). I had the week off and it took 6 days. So now I can say, once again, I have completed every 3D GTA to 100%. I did use the guide after completion of the story. Took around 50 hours. And once again there's too many goddamn collectibles. Not as tedious as the pigeons in 4 but there's more collectibles and it's the same annoying, time consuming, stuff.
Funny, the hidden packages are not required for 100 percent
. But all the other collectibles are. That made me laugh. Tomorrow I will just fuck around. And I can replay missions. I'm excited. It's 4 am. Goodnight gaf.

Congrats Rapto! I'll join you at some point, it's a god damn achievement! Nothing felt better than doing it for San Andreas and IV. I'm sure V feels just as good, if not better!

Spoilers for a certain side mission about a certain not-cult:
I'm at the point in the Epsilon Program where I have to wear the blue robes for ten cumulative days, and this is the first thing I've seen in the game that makes me wonder if R* really thought this through. I thought it'd give me an opportunity to go and hunt down all the collectibles and clean up the activities, watch all the TV shows and movies and stuff, and it would have been, if only Michael didn't VERY LOUDLY shout out Epsilonist phrases every five minutes while he's wearing the robes. He only has like seven of them, too, and they play while he's watching TV or at the movies, while I'm doing random encounters and side missions, just all the damn time. "You can't put a price on self actuation. Actually, you can. And I'm payin' it!" "It ain't a cult, it ain't a cult, it ain't... a cult." Ten in-game days is hours and hours of real time, and if you aren't playing as Michael the whole time he'll just change his clothes. I'm going to be so glad when this is over.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Spoiler for Trevor:
So, I put off the fourth Trevor-Chinese mission and then Trevor received a text saying the Chinese were angry and the mission market disappeared. Am I now permanently locked out of these missions until my next clean playthrough? Or is there anyway I can get the Chinese mission marker to come back?
There's a set of missions for them? Elaborate? Random encounter? I remember one mission involving them but not missions for them.

Anyway in previous GTAs there have been occasions where you can't finish a set of missions because of the order you play. In GTA3 there is a character you can kill before you complete his missions.

Fjordson

Fuck man, this game just keeps getting better. Once Trevor meets back up with things get really interesting.

He just adds a whole new dynamic to the story. Trevor's interactions with characters you've met earlier in the game are especially golden.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So the videos on the internet actually work and are hosted by the social network? I assumed 'Too popular to display' or whatever was just them not wanting to put videos into the browser.

49uhAX6.jpg

Nothing like Scuba Diving off a Sub with a Silenced Pistol in the morning sun.

Stupid in game photo system.

How do you get the sub to the water?

Addnan

There are some side quests that I started a long time ago. Now I finished the game and wanted to go back to them and have no idea how to find them. Like the Trevor one of collecting the bad guys, how do I find that again?

Jamie OD

I love how detailed even random encounters are. For example I was driving outside this bar in the desert and this drunk couple flagged me down while I was Trevor. They were drunk as fuck and asked if I could give them a ride, I did and on the way to ther destination they started having sex in the back and Trevor told them he would join in if they don't quit. Eventually I got them to their motel safe and sound.

Whenever I find and pick up strangers, I never have the heart to drop them off at the alternate location
aka the cult
. Actually pays off well in one situation.
Save the woman from being muredered by two men. She turns out to be the daughter of a mob boss. Drop her off at her location instead of the cult and afterwards she'll call you to say money has been wired into your account as thanks. The reward is $60,000.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Do I need Xbox Live Gold to be able to save my in game photos? It tells me my account isn't set up to do it.

Probably. You need a Rockstar Social Club account to save those (they can only save to Rockstar's servers), and I don't know if you need Gold to access that.

What's the point of Jesus? All he does is tells you to chill out, doesn't actually seem to want any help and while he was rambling on Michael couldn't have looked more bored :/

That guy is great. There's also a
crazed vietnam vet somewhere around Trevor's neighborhood

Codeblew

Holy fuck, :lol

I saw a parked car on the side of the road in the desert. It was a random event and came up as a blue dot on my map. I got out of my car to check it out, and next thing I know I'm being tasered. I then wake up on the train tracks in my underwear. Not sure if I lost money or anything... but wow

Happened to me also on Travis. It was a random event for Franklin.

Wish I hadn't put ten+ hours into the game already. I feel like I lost out on a lot of easy ways to make money. When I do replay it I'll definitely save the Lester missions for last, that's the best sure fire way to multiply Franklin's worth.

Game also knew it was time for me to go to sleep when it hard locked on me during one of the FIB missions where
Michael, Dave and Haines infiltrate the chemical weapons facility from underwater.

Pachimari

No other dogs to buy, I'm pretty sure. Someone saw the unusable petstore in a video or something and started a rumor you could buy other dogs I think.
Oh, finally so done who gave time to answer my question. Thank you. :)

Disappointed I can't buy my own dog but it's all fine anyway - love the game.

Dead Man

Driving to mission start, car pulls out from side street, Fanklin flies through wind shield and dies. Thanks R*

Finished mission, find a nice car, drive to Michaels garage. Garage is full, please enter garage on foot to remove car. Leave garage with car to remove, first car no longer parked on street where I left it 15 seconds ago. Thanks R*

Grrr...

The missions are pretty damn cool still, but so many silly design decisions outside the missions really hurt this game. The traffic AI in particular is pretty bad.

So...Cargobob, who made it to the copter on their first try? I just drove in on a dirt bike, making tight turns and staying close to walls and barriers. Had some close calls, tanks blew up a helicopter next to me, shot some of their own guys, but I made it and got to the helicopter alive.

Felt like something out of an James Bond movie

On the other hand, my bro just hijacked a tank and went on a rampage

Just tore in in a truck, head on. Was much easier than I expected.

waypoetic

Banned
It's GTA San Andreas all over again - i can't stop playing.

Btw, ironically, my Michael is broke. I keep playing these story missions but they don't pay... How does a suave guy like myself get a hold of some paper in this city?

Guys how do I get the mini sub to the water??? It's on land close to the airfield.

When you get to the point where you can buy properties, there's a dock up in the north west that has its own sub already in the water. To get Trevor's sub into the water I think you'd need another Cargobob to carry it away.

Restrain This

Neo Member
Is there any consequence to doing the mission skip? I accidentally did it for that one base jumping side activity where you parachute onto the flatbed. I just want to make sure it won't screw anything up for me later on when I'm doing 100% completion, etc.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
So did anyone notice that the (Trevor Strangers and Freaks mission related to marijuana)
clown killing hallucination mission for Trevor had music from the Pee-wee's Big Adventure soundtrack playing in the background?
It sounded familiar at first, then I looked it up and nearly died, (largely because I had been riding around on a bicycle dressed as Pee-wee while playing the soundtrack before I had even known that this was in the game.)

Certinty

Wish I hadn't put ten+ hours into the game already. I feel like I lost out on a lot of easy ways to make money. When I do replay it I'll definitely save the Lester missions for last, that's the best sure fire way to multiply Franklin's worth
How do you go about doing this?

Fjordson

:lol y'all need to stop customizing car, garages are clearly fucked up. I'm holding off on putting any serious money into cars at the moment. Saw on Rockstar's support site that they've gotten a lot of reports about the problem and are looking at it. Hopefully they can fix it with a patch.

This game is a massive achievement, but Rockstar has got to figure out where the series is going in terms of character durability, health systems, and combat in general. In my opinion, what they use in V simply does not fit the design of combat, nor the situations you find yourself in frequently.

Your health bar, for example, only regenerates to 50% and you need food or a health pack to get it back up to 100, neither of which are marked in any way through the HUD or map. Combine that with a super punishing physics system, at times extremely precise enemies, one hit kills from animals and explosions, and lack of damage feedback barring some superficial bullet holes.... They're still wrestling with where to draw the line between "more realistic" vs "gamey" and I don't think they found the balance. You take damage from EVERY bump, police and enemies are quick to raise arms, you can die from relatively short drops, you can die from being flung through the windshield, you can die from being hit by traffic ; these characters are ridiculously fragile for the kinds of situations you find yourself in all the time in GTAV, and I have to wonder what Rockstar was thinking.

Combat, too, doesn't feel designed for this kind of health system. You're bombarded by enemies from all angles in missions after Trevor enters the picture, and along with the still awkward combat mechanics, it's impossible to ever feel comfortable in combat. You WILL be hit, you WILL struggle with cover, you might trip for no reason, you might be caught unaware and killed before you can even draw you weapon, you WILL die questioning where the shot came from, etc. etc. This is probably why they still rely on hard lock solutions to make it easier instead of properly balancing enemy numbers, sight lines, or changing the health system. Wearing armor barely matters because before you know it, a few crashes and tumbles later, you've wasted the whole thing before being shot at.

It's no surprise that RDR, which did away with this health meter, was much more manageable and freeing in its open world, while MP3 was properly balanced as a pure linear shooter and worked better with a health meter. GTAV is sitting awkwardly in the middle with a TON more going on all around the player that the game asks you to do or that can happen randomly, all of which can kill you, and it doesn't mesh. The game's not difficult, it's just punishing for no reason.

For as much as GTAV excels in world building, tons of unique animations, and tons of unique situations for even the smallest of missions, I can't help but feel like Rockstar (North, at least) is still behind the curve in playability and combat design. Some of these decisions man, IDK.

Top Bottom