• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Random event spoilers:

Does anyone know if Packie becomes a heist member if you save him?

Yes. At least I'm pretty sure. Told me to hit him up if I was doing anything big, and considering his role in
GTAIV
, it only makes sense.

Wilbur

Banned
Ahahahaha just did the Madrazo mission where
the plane goes down. First of all that was amazing, and then secondly when Trevor says change of plan and I'm thinking "he killed Madrazo and he's gonna concrete his body". He confirms he didnt, and then out pops the wife :lol

Man this game. It might be my favourite ever.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I think something broke.

Trevor
took over the strip club and there's a T there but I can't get the mission any any characters and it shows up as the color of whoever I'm on

There was an M mission wayyyy up north that was green and as I got really close to it, it vanished. Some funky shit is happening.

Anyone have this happen to them?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Holy shit the checkpointing in this game is awful at times (Near end of the game)
Going to rescue Lamar and I have to run each person to the setup point if I die, each time? And there are one shot kills in this mission...

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Holy shit the checkpointing in this game is awful at times (Near end of the game)
Going to rescue Lamar and I have to run each person to the setup point if I die, each time? And there are one shot kills in this mission...

It is better than the days of IV and before then. Bad checkpointing is nothing compared to no checkpointing.

zerotol

Banned
Ahahahaha just did the Madrazo mission where
the plane goes down. First of all that was amazing, and then secondly when Trevor says change of plan and I'm thinking "he killed Madrazo and he's gonna concrete his body". He confirms he didnt, and then out pops the wife :lol

Man this game. It might be my favourite ever.

I did that mission tonight. It was fucking awesome.
chasing the plane as Trevor on the motorcycle was a blast

I just read that the missions Lester gives to Franklin are not actually tied to the main story and can be finished later on... there goes my chance at the big bucks :(

Dresden

:lol y'all need to stop customizing car, garages are clearly fucked up. I'm holding off on putting any serious money into cars at the moment.

But there's no fun in that!

qnNYflD.png

DJwest

This game is a massive achievement, but Rockstar has got to figure out where the series is going in terms of character durability, health systems, and combat in general. In my opinion, what they use in V simply does not fit the design of combat, nor the situations you find yourself in frequently.

Your health bar, for example, only regenerates to 50% and you need food or a health pack to get it back up to 100, neither of which are marked in any way through the HUD or map. Combine that with a super punishing physics system, at times extremely precise enemies, one hit kills from animals and explosions, and lack of damage feedback barring some superficial bullet holes.... They're still wrestling with where to draw the line between "more realistic" vs "gamey" and I don't think they found the balance. You take damage from EVERY bump, police and enemies are quick to raise arms, you can die from relatively short drops, you can die from being flung through the windshield, you can die from being hit by traffic ; these characters are obscenely fragile for the kinds of situations you find yourself in all the time in GTAV, and I have to wonder what Rockstar was thinking.

Combat, too, doesn't feel designed for this kind of health system. You're bombarded by enemies from all angles in missions after Trevor enters the picture, and along with the still awkward combat mechanics, it's impossible to ever feel comfortable in combat. You WILL be hit, you WILL struggle with cover, you might trip for no reason, you might be caught unaware and killed before you can even draw you weapon, you WILL die questioning where the shot came from, etc. etc. This is probably why they still rely on hard lock solutions to make it easier instead of properly balancing enemy numbers, sight lines, or changing the health system. Wearing armor barely matters because before you know it, a few crashes and tumbles later, you've wasted the whole thing before being shot at.

It's no surprise that RDR, which did away with this health meter, was much more manageable and freeing in its open world, while MP3 was properly balanced as a pure linear shooter and worked better with a health meter. GTAV is sitting awkwardly in the middle with a TON more going on all around the player that the game asks you to do or that can happen randomly, all of which can kill you, and it doesn't mesh. The game's not difficult, it's just punishing for no reason.

For as much as GTAV excels in world building, tons of unique animations, and tons of unique situations for even the smallest of missions, I can't help but feel like Rockstar (North, at least) is still behind the curve in playability and combat design. Some of these decisions man, IDK.
Excellent post and I agree 100%.

gtrunner

Banned
I'm really starting to think that the car save bug isn't a bug and that it really has to do with the servers. Just like the photos , the cars will not save in the safe house if the servers are unable to sync.

i installed the ifruit app (don't this by the way, it will mess up the game even more than not using it at the moment) chop runs away from home every time Franklin shows up because the app/game stop syncing and the game thinks I abandoned the dog. What i noticed when the app was working was that the second i parked the car in the safe house the car appeared in the Los Santos Customs tab. meaning that there is some syncing going on in the background, i haven't done testing to see what happens if i just start the game without internet access and see if it saves . it may force the game to save locally.

This game is a massive achievement, but Rockstar has got to figure out where the series is going in terms of character durability, health systems, and combat in general. In my opinion, what they use in V simply does not fit the design of combat, nor the situations you find yourself in frequently.

Your health bar, for example, only regenerates to 50% and you need food or a health pack to get it back up to 100, neither of which are marked in any way through the HUD or map. Combine that with a super punishing physics system, at times extremely precise enemies, one hit kills from animals and explosions, and lack of damage feedback barring some superficial bullet holes.... They're still wrestling with where to draw the line between "more realistic" vs "gamey" and I don't think they found the balance. You take damage from EVERY bump, police and enemies are quick to raise arms, you can die from relatively short drops, you can die from being flung through the windshield, you can die from being hit by traffic ; these characters are obscenely fragile for the kinds of situations you find yourself in all the time in GTAV, and I have to wonder what Rockstar was thinking.

Combat, too, doesn't feel designed for this kind of health system. You're bombarded by enemies from all angles in missions after Trevor enters the picture, and along with the still awkward combat mechanics, it's impossible to ever feel comfortable in combat. You WILL be hit, you WILL struggle with cover, you might trip for no reason, you might be caught unaware and killed before you can even draw you weapon, you WILL die questioning where the shot came from, etc. etc. This is probably why they still rely on hard lock solutions to make it easier instead of properly balancing enemy numbers, sight lines, or changing the health system. Wearing armor barely matters because before you know it, a few crashes and tumbles later, you've wasted the whole thing before being shot at.

It's no surprise that RDR, which did away with this health meter, was much more manageable and freeing in its open world, while MP3 was properly balanced as a pure linear shooter and worked better with a health meter. GTAV is sitting awkwardly in the middle with a TON more going on all around the player that the game asks you to do or that can happen randomly, all of which can kill you, and it doesn't mesh. The game's not difficult, it's just punishing for no reason.

For as much as GTAV excels in world building, tons of unique animations, and tons of unique situations for even the smallest of missions, I can't help but feel like Rockstar (North, at least) is still behind the curve in playability and combat design. Some of these decisions man, IDK.

Agreed. I was looking forward to using free aim, but the combat isn't balanced and designed properly for it so I'm just rolling with hard lock. One common scenario that bugs me is guys appearing repeatedly on roofs during rampages, in the same places, and if you're not constantly swinging your camera up at the same spawn points to anticipate them, they can eat away your health very quickly. It's not that it's hard, it's just not fun. It feels very much like this kind of scenario was designed with hard locking in mind. It's an awkward blend of realism (how fast you go down) and crazy "gamey" enemy placement and spawning.

anddo0

But what does online based mean? Are you competing with other real players?

Also, what's the best way to build strength?

I'm not too sure about that aspect of Bawsaq. It seems when you get a stock tip via assassination mission/random encounter/radio you're guaranteed to make money off the stock tip for at least a 2-3 hour window after receiving it.. After that you are indeed competing with other GTA players.

Your actions also influence the market. By sabotaging a FlyUS aircraft/vehicle their stocks fall, while their rival company Airemu stock rises.

I would avoid all assassination missions until Bawsaq is more stable. I lost a ton of money by not being to purchase stocks in
iFruit
, and several others.

anddo0

:lol y'all need to stop customizing car, garages are clearly fucked up. I'm holding off on putting any serious money into cars at the moment. Saw on Rockstar's support site that they've gotten a lot of reports about the problem and are looking at it. Hopefully they can fix it with a patch.

50+ hours and I haven't spent a dime on cars outside of the prologue. I've read to many horror stories.

Juicy Bob

GAF, why am I unable to skip taxi rides?

I call a cab, select a destination, and then I only get the option to hurry up, stop the cab or get out. The 'press X to skip' option doesn't appear even if I tell the driver to hurry up.

Am I missing something? It's given me the option to skip before, but most of the time it doesn't. It's taking me ages to get to places and I'd prefer to just fast travel if I could.

Try changing the camera.
That's it! Thank you.

Still a bit weird why that happens, though.

Fjordson

But there's no fun in that!

qnNYflD.png
Playing with fire man!

Though I have a few times when I want to just take a drive in the countryside pumped like tens of thousands into a single car. I never save it after because of the garage bugs, but some of the customizations are pretty cool. Love the colored tire smoke :lol

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Your health bar, for example, only regenerates to 50% and you need food or a health pack to get it back up to 100, neither of which are marked in any way through the HUD or map. Combine that with a super punishing physics system, at times extremely precise enemies, one hit kills from animals and explosions, and lack of damage feedback barring some superficial bullet holes.... They're still wrestling with where to draw the line between "more realistic" vs "gamey" and I don't think they found the balance. You take damage from EVERY bump, police and enemies are quick to raise arms, you can die from relatively short drops, you can die from being flung through the windshield, you can die from being hit by traffic ; these characters are ridiculously fragile for the kinds of situations you find yourself in all the time in GTAV, and I have to wonder what Rockstar was thinking.

You lost me at the still awkward combat mechanics. The actual mechanics are absolutely fantastic. Aiming and shooting is fantastic. Just turn free aim on to see that. Movement it smoother than it has ever been which in theory makes for good open shootouts. It's just like Max Payne 3 without bullet time and it works really well.

Everything else about this post i bang on and can be attributed to one thing. The unforgiving health system. Simply tweak the health system to be more forgiving to account for how aggressive enemies are, various things in the world that can hurt you and how much damage you're generally taking. A better health system is all that's required. The actual combat mechanics are fantastic and are definitely the way going forward.

Dead Man

Your health bar, for example, only regenerates to 50% and you need food or a health pack to get it back up to 100, neither of which are marked in any way through the HUD or map. Combine that with a super punishing physics system, at times extremely precise enemies, one hit kills from animals and explosions, and lack of damage feedback barring some superficial bullet holes.... They're still wrestling with where to draw the line between "more realistic" vs "gamey" and I don't think they found the balance. You take damage from EVERY bump, police and enemies are quick to raise arms, you can die from relatively short drops, you can die from being flung through the windshield, you can die from being hit by traffic ; these characters are ridiculously fragile for the kinds of situations you find yourself in all the time in GTAV, and I have to wonder what Rockstar was thinking.

Great post, I think that is pretty much it. So many small problems that just create a disconnect so it never feels like a cohesive experience. Pretty much every thing I have bitched about can be explained by that failure to achieve a consistent balance between realism and crazy.

They did the hard stuff so well, making a huge world, made it pretty, made it convincing, massive detail, and yet so often it is just not worth doing something since you die so easily, and getting set up to do something fun is a long process.

StuBurns

Banned
If you're using the standard lock on aim, the game is unbelievably easy, and there are check points everywhere. I can't imagine how easy it'd be with more, and fully regenerating health.

And while health isn't marked on the map, all shooting ranges have a vending machine, and the safe houses have respawning health packs.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So the videos on the internet actually work and are hosted by the social network? I assumed 'Too popular to display' or whatever was just them not wanting to put videos into the browser.

It's weird because most of the time they don't, but one time I was able to watch a Republican Space Rangers episode on the internet on the in game phone. Then later when I went back on there it did the whole too many viewers thing. Same with a trailer for that video game.

terrible

Banned
You lost me at the still awkward combat mechanics. The actual mechanics are absolutely fantastic. Aiming and shooting is fantastic. Just turn free aim on to see that. Movement it smoother than it has ever been which in theory makes for good open shootouts. It's just like Max Payne 3 without bullet time and it works really well.

Everything else about this post i bang on and can be attributed to one thing. The unforgiving health system. Simply tweak the health system to be more forgiving to account for how aggressive enemies are, various things in the world that can hurt you and how much damage you're generally taking. A better health system is all that's required. The actual combat mechanics are fantastic and are definitely the way going forward.

The combat feels off to me as well. I use free aim and it feels like there is a huge deadzone or something. I can't aim very well at all and I'm decent at shooting games (tps or fps) usually. It's an improvement over their past games and doesn't really affect how much fun I have so I don't really care though.

nib95

Banned
Funny thing happened. Well, on the final mission I lost my fully kitted Lambo/Zonda with Franklin. Which sucked. Michael just also happened to have one I'd kitted out too. Post game, at one point I switched to him and he was having coffee with his wife in some cafe, with the kitted lambo next to him.

I drove it home to stick it in his garage, only to find his one is already in there. The game only went and duplicated a fully kitted out lambo for me, so, I thought, why not give it to Franklin to replace his lost one?

Playing as Michael in my newly duplicated lambo I drove to Franklins house and switched back to Franklin once I got there. Michael was like, "hey man, fancy seeing you. Wanna go for a drink?", I opted no and then proceeded to steal his lambo. "Seriously, don't even think about it" he says, once I bolted off in his car leaving Michael chasing after me.

Drove back after a while only to find Michael walking down the road without a car. Drove near him and he no longer wanted to socialise lol. "Was that some sort of a sick joke? Just don't come near me right now kid.", "I mean it kid, fuck off!"

I lol'd,

Has anyone had any luck manipulating the stock market outside of missions? I've had mixed results - there's definitely some change in the market after you aggressively take out the competitor of a company you have stock in (I tried it with Cluckin' Bell & Burger Shot), but I'm not having much luck in getting the stock points to raise/lower significantly enough to justify the time you have to put in blowing up trucks. Does anyone have some tips, or warehouse/HQ locations for the various companies in the game?

The Cluckin' Bell HQ is on the main road in Paleto Bay to the north-west.

And while health isn't marked on the map, all shooting ranges have a vending machine, and the safe houses have respawning health packs.

It's not enough, imo - IV had street vendors all over the place, and SA had a bunch of fast food joints you could actually enter. Health seems scarce in V and it's kinda ridiculous having to speed to an amunation because you need to heal.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The combat feels off to me as well. I use free aim and it feels like there is a huge deadzone or something. I can't aim very well at all and I'm decent at shooting games (tps or fps) usually. It's an improvement over their past games and doesn't really affect how much fun I have so I don't really care though.

Really? Have you played Max Payne 3 and if so what do you think of the aiming in that? Because it's basically the same without the bullet time. I have no problem with it.

So I been experimenting with stocks and so far best thing to invest in is this, most are pretty obvious.

First do the hotel assassination with Franklin, Invest in Betta before the assassination, everything you got, sell it at 81%

dont do any more assassinations until the main story line is finished.

you got more cash that way.

then do the rest of the assassination missions with Franklin.

Invest in Debonaire pre mission, sell once it has reached its peak, then buy in on redwood as it should go up, for a around 250-300% profit. Save and test this first, if it aint going up, load the previous save before you invested.

Invest in iFruit before mission and sell afterwards when it has reached its peak.
Cash in on Vapid AFTER the mission, sell at 100% profit.
Invest in Gold Coast pre mission, sell after fora 80% profit.

Now you take all that money that you made and invest in the side quest, when you drive that dude to the airport and buy into Trinkle for around 30% boost.

Dead Man

If you're using the standard lock on aim, the game is unbelievably easy, and there are check points everywhere. I can't imagine how easy it'd be with more, and fully regenerating health.

It's not about difficulty, it is about balance and fun, for me at least. It is not hard, it is frustrating, especially between missions.

The actual missions have been pretty easy so far for me. Mission design seems pretty tailored to the health system actually. It's messing around where the quick deaths are annoying.

Indeed.

I'd be the first one praise "absolutely fantastic" combat mechanics. This game is not that. From far away it seems close enough to Max Payne 3, but once Trevor's section of the game starts and you're in gunplay heavy situations with a LOT of enemies and a lot of angles to cover, GTAIV starts to rear its ugly head again. This is RDR minus some stuff, with a few MP3 improvements added, but it's NOT the evolution of what they did with MP3.

So the same tedium as IV except even worse because there's no weapons van to bring you stuff.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The actual missions have been pretty easy so far for me. Mission design seems pretty tailored to the health system actually. It's messing around where the quick deaths are annoying.

nib95

Banned
So I been experimenting with stocks and so far best thing to invest in is this.

First do the hotel assassination with Franklin, Invest in Betta before the assassination, everything you got, sell it at 81%

dont do any more assassinations until the main story line is finished.

you got more cash that way.

then do the rest of the assassination missions with Franklin.

Invest in Debonaire pre mission, sell once it has reached its peak, then buy in on redwood as it should go up, for a around 250-300% profit. Save and test this first, if it aint going up, load the previous save before you invested.

Invest in iFruit before mission and sell afterwards when it has reached its peak.
Cash in on Vapid AFTER the mission, sell at 100% profit.
Invest in Gold Coast pre mission, sell after fora 80% profit.

Now you take all that money that you made and invest in the side quest, when you drive that dude to the airport and buy into Trinkle for around 30% boost.

Wish I'd saved these missions :( I have none left to double up my $30mil plus.

anddo0

Great post.

You're spot on about combat and health. Outside of Trevor, who seems to take more damage due to his special ability? I never feel comfortable in gunfights. In past GTA games, during a heated car chase you had a window in which you could exit your car and run/jack another car. In GTA V, exiting your car during a 2-star chase is insta-death in most situations.

The over sensitive cops really kill the vibe. The response time/alert modes are ridiculous. The cops will chase you to the end of the world. If I drive into a secluded area, by all rights I should be safe (R* could take a few tips from NFS:MW). But no, they chase you up hills, pop out of nowhere in the desert. If you commit a 1-star crime, it ramps up to 2-3 stars with no other criminal action (other than driving or running away).

R* created an amazing game world. But there are some annoying/glaring flaws that break the immersion.

StuBurns

Banned
it's kinda ridiculous having to speed to an amunation because you need to heal.
Why would you ever need to do that though? Just go next time you want to get armor or a weapon upgrade, etc. Just get a health pack when you want to go to someone's safehouse.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'd be the first one praise "absolutely fantastic" combat mechanics. This game is not that. From far away it seems close enough to Max Payne 3, but once Trevor's section of the game starts and you're in gunplay heavy situations with a LOT of enemies and a lot of angles to cover, GTAIV starts to rear its ugly head again. This is RDR minus some stuff, with a few MP3 improvements added, but it's NOT the evolution of what they did with MP3.

So the same tedium as IV except even worse because there's no weapons van to bring you stuff.

I've played the first few Trevor missions. These missions are where the combat is starting to shine for me.

Co-sign on the Bawsaq instability. Made some cash on the ciggies but it's down now I want to buy Fruit.

It'd be funny if this is an EVE like coup to control the markets.

anddo0

You're correct. It's not consistent. The missions feel like you're playing with 1000-HP and can take critical hits, whereas free roam feels like you're a glass cannon with 300-HP and basically any damage takes you down with in 2-3 hits.

I've played the first few Trevor missions. These missions are where the combat is starting to shine for me.

It's because he was clearly designed to be the combat character. He takes more damage than the other two by far.

terrible

Banned
Great post.

You're spot on about combat and health. Outside of Trevor, who seems to take more damage due to his special ability? I never feel comfortable in gunfights. In past GTA games, during a heated car chase you had a window in which you could exit your car and run/jack another car. In GTA V, exiting your car during a 2-star chase is insta-death in most situations.

The over sensitive cops really kill the vibe. The response time/alert modes are ridiculous. The cops will chase you to the end of the world. If I drive into a secluded area, by all rights I should be safe (R* could take a few tips from NFS:MW). But no, they chase you up hills, pop out of nowhere in the desert. If you commit a 1-star crime, it ramps up to 2-3 stars with no other criminal action (other than driving or running away).

R* created an amazing game world. But there are some annoying/glaring flaws that break the immersion.

The cops actually take away some of the fun for me. It's one of my few legitimate complaints. Not only do they have Oblivion guard level of crime detection but they are way too aggressive and their cars have a stun affect that is pretty overpowered if they even just slightly bump you. Add to that the unnatural speed and agility of their cars (I've been hit from behind while going full speed in a fully modded Adder) and it can get annoying.

Really? Have you played Max Payne 3 and if so what do you think of the aiming in that? Because it's basically the same without the bullet time. I have no problem with it.

I played only a tiny bit at a friends and I honestly don't remember anything specific about the combat.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Yea, the whole car saving mechanics in this game are strange, I too have returned to my garage to find my car duplicated. Then next time I come back and I don't have any of my vehicles, but come back an hour later and everything is normal, it's probably just the best they could do with the engine on these systems with all the data they keep running through as you move about.

I kind of wish it wasn't automatic, a simple garage or some other interface to set the car we are using as our default follow vehicle, instea of the game decided the last we got in and then screwing everything around.

I can't wait to see what these guys can do with a game built from the ground for next-gen, PC version will be nice and all but will still be a game built around low memory systems 8 year old hardware.

Certinty

I actually really like the shooting. Using free aim here and have no big complaints, only minor one would be the small dot, but besides that the rest is great.

Anson225

what's better than cycling up mount chillad and sanchezing down?
though the trip down didn't last long before i crashed and burned

Why would you ever need to do that though? Just go next time you want to get armor or a weapon upgrade, etc. Just get a health pack when you want to go to someone's safehouse.

What about in the midst of a freaking chase? I can't count the number of times I've had to make a long-ass drive to a safehouse with next to no health, fearing a stray bullet from the insanely-accurate police, just wishing I could pull over next to a hot dog cart or a burger shot and get some damn health.

StuBurns

Banned
What about in the midst of a freaking chase? I can't count the number of times I've had to make a long-ass drive to a safehouse with next to no health, fearing a stray bullet from the insanely-accurate police, just wishing I could pull over next to a hot dog cart or a burger shot and get some damn health.
You think getting out of car with basically no health, while being chased by the police, to buy a hotdog is viable? In GTA4 it takes like twenty seconds. You'd be dead pretty much instantly.

I'm 75% done, maybe there are some crazy hard 'Misc' content, but the game is just no where near that demanding.

nick nacc

Banned
I love the ousts about minimal health and stuff but may I offer a counterpoint. Police chases in this game are SUBLIME, do to the fact that cops are goddamn ruthless. There is so much tension and reward from long shoot outs to car chase victories. You have to be smarter in this game, open shoot outs on the streets are a death swish unless you bounce. You have to get on top of parking garages or other locales to manage police sneaking up in you. It's just so much better. I don't like how you die so easy when ejected from cars, and I fucking hate the kill screen that doesn't let you fully watch your death WHAT THE FUCK ROCKSTAR.

Top Bottom