• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Anyone know if there's a property to buy which allows to store more then just one or two cars in one place? I'm basically looking for a big garage with access for all three characters.

You have to buy a proper garage which can store 4 vehicles but they are individual to each character I believe.

Wish the stock market graphics/data was actually legit. I invested a ton in BurgerShot when it was around $5 because the graphs and data said it goes up and down from about $5 to $20. While I had the stock, it would fluctuate from $3 to $5 instead.

I had a similar situation with flEEca stocks ... checked them daily in-game for about 2 weeks but they never went anywhere near the value suggested by the graphs/data ... Stock market is baffling me ...

Wow, really? I could have sworn I'd pressed every button, but I guess I'll try again.

As for body armour, I haven't found it that useful. I wish it'd slow the rate at which you lose health or something. When you buy it at Ammu-Nation the descriptions say that the more expensive ones will be harder to conceal, so I thought it they'd be more permanent things. I figured that the cheap one would be hidden under your clothes, but you wouldn't get much protection from it, and the most expensive one would give you more protection but you'd have to wear it over your clothes. But they just work the same way as always, as an extra bit of health bar. I've used them a couple of times, but they tend to just disappear before I even realise it (assuming I don't just use them up in a random accident before I even start the mission).

Yeah, I rarely bothered with armor. Even the most expensive doesn't add that much extra protection and the harder missions usually have health lying around somewhere anyway if you need it.

matthieuC

Fuck yeah! Got the fighter jet on my second try into the military base. Parachuted in w my blimp and landed right on the jet, then flew the hell out of there as low as possible to avoid getting locked on, and then flew off until the authorities gave up.
Now to do the same for Mike and Frank..
Where do you put the jet to keep it?

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Is it just me, or does the home button on the 360 controller just start flashing wildly at random points in this? Batteries are good. I'm about to go get some black tape, it's never been this distracting in seven years or whatever of 360.

This is random, but I've heard every song on West Coast Classics EXCEPT Regulate.

Does it come on at a certain point in the game or something?

Megasoum

Banned
HOLY SHIT.....god dammit...

Landed out of nowhere from a parachute drop from Mount Chilliad so haf to run for a good 10min before I could get back to civilizations.... The moment I see a car I get jumped by a fucking cougar and killed instantantly.

duckroll

It's a shame that the TV shows are such a low resolution. They look like 240p. Looks awful in full screen. The PS3 version only uses 18GB of disc space so there's another 32GB they could have used to store those files in HD, I'm not sure why they didn't.

Might not entirely be a space issue. There's probably also consideration for cpu and ram usage while also streaming videos on the fly to play in the environment. HD videos would require more processing power and that could affect the other stuff they're already simulating in the game.

This has probably been discussed but how do you change your default car? Park it in a garage? Or is it based on the story progress? Somehow Franklins default for me is that motorcycle... I have a really sick car I want Michael to drive but I'm scared of destroying it and losing my investment.

Also how does the impound lot work? Do you have to be arrested for it to end up there?

MormaPope

Banned
Wow, really? I could have sworn I'd pressed every button, but I guess I'll try again.

As for body armour, I haven't found it that useful. I wish it'd slow the rate at which you lose health or something. When you buy it at Ammu-Nation the descriptions say that the more expensive ones will be harder to conceal, so I thought it they'd be more permanent things. I figured that the cheap one would be hidden under your clothes, but you wouldn't get much protection from it, and the most expensive one would give you more protection but you'd have to wear it over your clothes. But they just work the same way as always, as an extra bit of health bar. I've used them a couple of times, but they tend to just disappear before I even realise it (assuming I don't just use them up in a random accident before I even start the mission).

All damage types except melee damage drain or take away armor. Falling, getting in car accidents, that sorta stuff takes armor away instead of health.

MBS

Banned
77% here, finished the story a few days ago. GTA IV is like a bad joke in direct comparison to V.

This is the best game i've even played hands down, in terms of interactive storytelling, characters, graphics technology, gameplay and presentation. The amount of detail in this game is outrageous. Not even one single element feels cheap and forced. Easily the GOTY and probably the GOTG. Well done R*, you delivered again.

burnfout

Driving and flying in the night look and feel so ridiculously awesome.

Also the radio wheel which instantly shows the song being played is a stroke of genius.

Flo_Evans

Stupid stock question.

I noticed everyone talking about profiting off of missions, so I was doing the lifehacker one, do they have a competitor? I couldn't find anything. So I bought some lifehacker after it tumbled, will it go back up? Or do companies that you mess with just end up losing money forever/go out of business?

zam

Is the helicopter flying supposed to be so... wobbly? I have 100 flying on Trevor and when I just push the left stick forward to go straight the helicopter wobbles left and right. Makes trying to fly in tight spots a whole lot trickier.

deim0s

Stupid stock question.

I noticed everyone talking about profiting off of missions, so I was doing the lifehacker one, do they have a competitor? I couldn't find anything. So I bought some lifehacker after it tumbled, will it go back up? Or do companies that you mess with just end up losing money forever/go out of business?

I don't think lifeinvader will ever recover.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Stupid stock question.

You mean Lifeinvader yea? I completed the whole game and the stocks never raised so I just sold them.

I put mine into AuguryInsurance then blew up cars and planes at the airport. They seemed to raise quite a bit.

Check out this for help - http://gtaforums.com/topic/594985-the-stock-exchange-information-thread-wip/

Is the helicopter flying supposed to be so... wobbly? I have 100 flying on Trevor and when I just push the left stick forward to go straight the helicopter wobbles left and right. Makes trying to fly in tight spots a whole lot trickier.

It's wind and such. I was flying fine with Michael in a plane then a storm hit and the plane went crazy even with 100 stat.

sytadel

As a 30 year old, I find myself constantly chasing the dragon with video games, looking to re-create the fun I had with games in the 90's and early 00's... and always winding up completely disappointed.

Finally, that long ass wait is over.

Finished up the story today, utterly brilliant. Fun/10. Instantly in my top 3 games ever, if not my all time favorite. Still so much to do offline, and *gulp* online in a little over a week.

That stock trader taxi mission gives you a tip and of course Bawsaq is down. Then by the time it's up again the stock has increased 124%. What a load of garbage. I had 2.8 mil ready to invest too.

Andrew.

Banned
No matter what I do, Epsilon won't call me, I feel like George with the Sunshine Carpet Cleaners.

It might have to do with the time of day. I was wandering around for what felt like forever until I realized it was close to three in the morning. Went to sleep, woke up around noon or so and got a phone call

DC R1D3R

Banned
As a 30 year old, I find myself constantly chasing the dragon with video games, looking to re-create the fun I had with games in the 90's and early 00's... and always winding up completely disappointed.

Finally, that long ass wait is over.

Finished up the story today, utterly brilliant. Fun/10. Instantly in my top 3 games ever, if not my all time favorite. Still so much to do offline, and *gulp* online in a little over a week.

yeh, game's on-point mane!

duckroll

The chopper controls are VERY sensitive and pretty different from the controls for planes. If you push forward all the way, it's going to wobble and tumble down eventually. After messing with choppers more during missions, I've found that the controls can actually work very well if you learn to apply as little force as possible on the left stick while flying them. If you want to move forward for example, don't push up, just nudge up a tiny bit and hold it at that position, and hold R2 to to increase altitude as you lose it. If you find yourself dipping too much and want to go higher quickly, push down on the stick. Don't use left and right on the stick to turn, use L1 and R1. That part feels similar to planes at least.

The trick is mostly in understanding how the momentum of the chopper works, and using it to your advantage.

Gattsu25

Banned
The economy is oddly constrained in this game.

Still massively enjoying it

edit: I love the flight controls in this game. I also love the feeling of fighting against the wind

StuBurns

Banned
It might have to do with the time of day. I was wandering around for what felt like forever until I realized it was close to three in the morning. Went to sleep, woke up around noon or so and got a phone call
I'm just going to leave the game running for a few hours then, maybe lightning will strike of it's own accord.

Carcetti

We should have a competition where everyone predicts how totally broken GTA Online will be at launch.... The Social Club connection is just laughable now. The iFruit app doesn't work for me at all. Ingame pictures worked for total of half an hour one night and I've played a LOT since release. Any missions which include taking camera phone pictures are unplayable since the ingame phone refuses to open the picture taking mode or just hangs in 'synchronizing' after taking the shot. If this is any indication, GTA Online will make Anarchy Online launch seem like an Apple operation.

Alienous

We should have a competition where everyone predicts how totally broken GTA Online will be at launch.... The Social Club connection is just laughable now. The iFruit app doesn't work for me at all. Ingame pictures worked for total of half an hour one night and I've played a LOT since release. Any missions which include taking camera phone pictures are unplayable since the ingame phone refuses to open the picture taking mode or just hangs in 'synchronizing' after taking the shot. If this is any indication, GTA Online will make Anarchy Online launch seem like an Apple operation.

But GTA Online doesn't run on Social Club ... so I don't really get the conflation.

Like GTA V, GTA Online can work (I assume) sans Social Club. And I imagine that the servers for each would be entirely different. I'd also imagine that getting GTA Online working for launch is a massive priority.

Addnan

How do I do rest of the pulling favors strangers and freaks missions? Just checked I have last two missing and they are not on the map :/. My map is empty, but I have a lot of strangers and freaks stuff left.

Carcetti

But GTA Online doesn't run on Social Club ... so I don't really get the conflation.

Like GTA V, GTA Online can work (I assume) sans Social Club. And I imagine that the servers for each would be entirely different. I'd also imagine that getting GTA Online working for launch is a massive priority.

They might not be linked but this tells straight up that Rockstar didn't prepare for the launch adequately. It doesn't exactly inspire any confidence in one of the biggest franchises ever going multiplayer when the install base who's waiting with disc in drive is already humongous.

Plus unless they want people doing all sorts of suspicious stuff with their characters etc it means online character storage which will be tied to social club infrastructure 99% sure.

duckroll

There's almost zero chance of GTA Online not being heavily dependant on the Social Club infrastructure. Considering how integrated some functions of the single player game are as it is, I don't see a possibility that your character and accomplishments are not tied to Social Club just like the photos and the stock market are. It's likely all on the same cloud system. If they couldn't handle users taking photos and general stat tracking, actually saving character data and generating game content is going to be ROFLMAO.

Just think about it. :p

MormaPope

Banned
I'm on the last third of the game mission wise, about 24 missions to go. When I beat the game I'm going to immediately restart, I'm having such a blast and I don't want the game to end. Whenever a DLC chapter or expansion comes out I'm buying that ASAP. Flying over to a fictional Nevada and gambling in Las Venturas.

Finally got a copy.
My only question is, does anyone have stickers on their game case? I have two white and transparent stickers on the top left of my game case....underneath the shrink-wrap. My friend has the same only they're red and he got his copy at launch. What do they mean?
I can post a picture if I need to.

Addnan

Call her.

That worked. Thanks.

Now I was doing a mission with Trevor near the rich parts of LS, thing is I don't remember what the hell it was. There were orange circles showing areas I need to get to. Those orange bits have disappeared, so now don't now how to get them back.

zam

The chopper controls are VERY sensitive and pretty different from the controls for planes. If you push forward all the way, it's going to wobble and tumble down eventually. After messing with choppers more during missions, I've found that the controls can actually work very well if you learn to apply as little force as possible on the left stick while flying them. If you want to move forward for example, don't push up, just nudge up a tiny bit and hold it at that position, and hold R2 to to increase altitude as you lose it. If you find yourself dipping too much and want to go higher quickly, push down on the stick. Don't use left and right on the stick to turn, use L1 and R1. That part feels similar to planes at least.

The trick is mostly in understanding how the momentum of the chopper works, and using it to your advantage.

I was trying to fly the helicopters like they fly in most other games (BF3, Arma), to make them go forward fast you give full up collective (in GTA and BF that would be RT) and push the stick (cyclic) forward to point the nose down. Not used to turning with the pedals (RB/LB) since that normally doesn't do much at higher speeds in Arma.

It was just the wobbling side to side that annoyed me, but that's due to wind I guess, still kinda annoying to get it when trying to go under a bridge that is a tight squeeze.

Top Bottom