• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Andrew.

Banned
Finally got a copy.
My only question is, does anyone have stickers on their game case? I have two white and transparent stickers on the top left of my game case....underneath the shrink-wrap. My friend has the same only they're red and he got his copy at launch. What do they mean?
I can post a picture if I need to.

Sounds like you got the secret stickered copy. You get a free tour of Wonkas factory.

UrbanRats

There's almost zero chance of GTA Online not being heavily dependant on the Social Club infrastructure. Considering how integrated some functions of the single player game are as it is, I don't see a possibility that your character and accomplishments are not tied to Social Club just like the photos and the stock market are. It's likely all on the same cloud system. If they couldn't handle users taking photos and general stat tracking, actually saving character data and generating game content is going to be ROFLMAO.

Just think about it. :p

I totally expect GTAOnline to not work properly for several weeks, if not months.

END GAME SPOILERS

How? Michael's dead. Should I just keep playing to see how it's possible or am I missing something obvious?
Oh, no. Sorry.
Certain endings will lock some missions of course. I chose ending C, so I still have everyone. I apologize for the confusion.

Derrick01

Banned
You know what's awesome? Getting a very large sum of money in the form of stocks when that element doesn't even work right.

Would rather have gotten that in cash...

ViviOggi

Finished the game after
47:34:51
hours with
80.11%
completion.

Also am I the only one who [Major ending spoilers!]
thought the death wish option meant the death of my boy Franklin and as a result picked option one or two? I took down Trevor and I'm not a fan of all of his unfinished missions/activities getting deleted, guess I'll be replaying a heist today.

Apart from that the ending didn't grip me at all though, the characters are too inconsistent in their actions and motivations to captivate me on an emotional level. Still loving the game, I'll take wishy-washy but excessive characters over Niko Bellic whose cutscenes constantly clash with the actual game any day of the week.

Portugeezer

I feared this would happen. My bro came over today, he had my Xbox so he brought it over. So we go buy GTA...

Requires dashboard update. But wait, my Xbox 360 is fucked up and the dashboard update doesn't work since the November 2012.

And welp... update is required for GTA5, even for single player.

Welp-Sam.gif

Can't wait for next gen and be done with Microsofts shitty console. I expect a next gen version anyway, or if anything a half decent PC port.

Dogfighting in the Laser is so much fun. I've started ending every play session by rocketing over Fort Zancudo and seeing how long I can last, which is exactly what I used to do in San Andreas with the Hydra and Area 69. The Laser is so fast and so incredibly manoeuvrable, and it has guns as well as the guided missiles (something I always wanted on the Hydra). I kind of wish it was a VTOL, but the thing uses just about every button on the controller as it is so I'm OK with it being just a plain old awesome fighter jet. The roll rate is insane, and you can practically climb all the way to space in it. I found myself so far out to sea after shooting down an enemy Laser that all I could see of San Andreas was Mt Chiliad :p

The best thing is that when you finally take too much damage and your engine conks out, bailing out will actually trigger the ejector seat and blast you right out of the plane.

Megasoum

Banned
Roughly 50% in mission spoiler
I just finished the Michael/Trevor mission where you have to take down the plane and recover the suitcase.... HOLY CRAP... This was the most epic and amazing thing I've seen in a game. Even until the end with destroying the van using the gas canister and then the hilarious cinematic with Trevor to finish it up... wow...

I started playing couple of days ago and I'm maybe 10% in the game. Sort of disappointed at the lack of hairstyles/beards. Will I get more options later on? What about clothing stores?

StuBurns

Banned
Where do the trains go? I decided to hop a train so Micheal can just do nothing in game, but it can still be moving, and now I'm wondering where I'm moving to, and for how long.

Mikey Jr.

There's almost zero chance of GTA Online not being heavily dependant on the Social Club infrastructure. Considering how integrated some functions of the single player game are as it is, I don't see a possibility that your character and accomplishments are not tied to Social Club just like the photos and the stock market are. It's likely all on the same cloud system. If they couldn't handle users taking photos and general stat tracking, actually saving character data and generating game content is going to be ROFLMAO.

Just think about it. :p

Yeah, but its better now. And that was launch day problems. Doubt many people are going to stick around for 2 weeks. The strain should be much less.

I always go free aim. I never used lock on in GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, or Max Payne 3. Free aim makes combat more intense and is a much funner way to play through those games.

Free aim is definitely the way to go.

It's a bit surprising that both lock on and practically no recoil is standard. I really hope online is reworked when it comes to gun balance. I can't see much differentiation otherwise.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I started playing couple of days ago and I'm maybe 10% in the game. Sort of disappointed at the lack of hairstyles/beards. Will I get more options later on? What about clothing stores?

There is another shop which has some more hair and beard styles but I think it's only an extra 1 or 2 for each character.

Also make sure you have linked with Social Club and you will receive an extra hair and beard piece for all 3 characters.

I think this is the best game I've ever played.

Yeah I'm constantly floored by how well everything is put together. There's so much to do, see, steal, experience. It's an incredible game. The only bad part is that I'm spending ALL of my time playing this game..

StuBurns

Banned
That worked. Thanks.

Now I was doing a mission with Trevor near the rich parts of LS, thing is I don't remember what the hell it was. There were orange circles showing areas I need to get to. Those orange bits have disappeared, so now don't now how to get them back.
Sorry, missed this post earlier.

The orange circles are the locations of celebrities you're going to rob, those missions are time dependent though, you only do them in the day time.

I don't know if this is widely known, but the early mission with Michael and the LifeInvader press conference
where the cell phone blows up next to the guy's head
seems to be loosely based on a real-life event,
the assassination of a Hamas bombmaker by Israelis
:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahya_Ayyash

Shin Bet agents gave Hamad a cell phone, and told him it was bugged so they could listen in on Ayyash's conversations. They did not tell Hamad that, in addition to eavesdropping devices, it also contained 15 grams of RDX explosive.

Kamil Hamad gave the phone to his nephew Osama, knowing that Ayyash regularly used Osama's phones. At 8:00 am on 5 January 1996, Ayyash's father called him. Ayyash picked it up and talked with his father. Overhead, an Israeli plane picked up their conversation and relayed it to an Israeli command post. When it was confirmed that it was Ayyash on the phone, Shin Bet remotely detonated it, killing Ayyash instantly.

Portugeezer

Yeah, but its better now. And that was launch day problems. Doubt many people are going to stick around for 2 weeks. The strain should be much less.

I think it could also be one of the reasons for GTA Online to be available only 2 weeks later. Usually at launch there is a lot of traffic, and from people who won't necessarily want to play online.

I feared this would happen. My bro came over today, he had my Xbox so he brought it over. So we go buy GTA...

Requires dashboard update. But wait, my Xbox 360 is fucked up and the dashboard update doesn't work since the November 2012.

Can't wait for next gen and be done with Microsofts shitty console. I expect a next gen version anyway, or if anything a half decent PC port.

even if u try to play it offline?

and what's with the free aim superiority i see on this game? even with the aim assist thing on, you can still free aim. you just have the option of clicking targets if you want to. it doesn't seem to stop you from shooting everything on your own. i keep it on bc my couch is like 11 feet from my 42" tv and when there's 12 cops surrounding you they can get tiny as fuck and blend into the scenery so i don't mind having the option to click in a pinch. but i can still freely shoot wherever i want so i don't see the issue

Jon93

Neo Member

This is a common problem that is easily fixed, google your issue.

Just read that gta online will have 500 missions when it launches, and rockstar will update it with new ones as time goes on. Love that you have to earn money to buy apartments, cars, planes. Honestly seems like they are taking it to the next level like the single player, i just hope it lives up to the hype.

Portugeezer

This is a common problem that is easily fixed, google your issue.

You missed the Novemeber 2012 part? Of course I googled, I even spoke to Microsoft and they want me to pay $100 dollars.

Maybe if you have some better info then please let me know.

even if u try to play it offline?

Yes. That's how the dashboard updates have always been; you can't play any game (even offline) which requires a dashboard update without updating.

eek5

I started out with free aim but could'nt finish the first rampage mission so I chanced to assisted aiming. So good .jif

Yeah the rampage mission is really hard without aim assist. I barely scraped by then saw the gold requirement of 45 LOL..

Sorian

Banned
Alright, I would like to preface this by saying that being banned during the hype and release week of this game was probably one of the hardest things ever but I made it through and now I get to say some things.

So I finished the story last night with an overall completion of about 75% (planning to dive right back in tonight for the rest of it though the two big collectible side quests seem a bit daunting). I just want to say this game was a masterpiece. I'm not going to jump the gun and start saying game of the generation or game of the forever because of honeymoon phases but it definitely beats out the competition for this year (sorry TLoU). The story here may not have been as good as TLoU but it held its own really well and add in the superb gameplay in, well, everything and there is really no contest. My impressions (from here on out, I'll have spoiler tags here and there and I've beaten the game, I could be talking about the first mission in the game or the last one so there is your fair warning)

I'll start with the story because, if you know me, you know that the story is always the most important part to me. I was pleasently surprised here. I went into the game expecting to love the threads with michael, getting a san andreas clone with franklin, and to be indifferent to trevor and pleasently, I left loving all three characters and the way they intersected in the story. The story did an excellent job of doing a slow burn at the beginning throwing you into the shoes of one character, giving you time with him and then setting you up with the next character. Then
locking you out of both characters while you got to become acquinted with Trevor's whole new level of crazy.
Once all three characters were under your belt, I loved seeing them all interact before and during missions. I expected some interaction between them all but I also expected Franklin to end up being the odd man out most of the time and I was pleased that wasn't the case.
Honestly, I thought they would take the easy way out and make Trevor a bit racist but for being a psychopath, he was super chill when it came to race topics, he was only a dick when A) you started it or B) he was having a bad time and for B that means he is a dick to everyone equally. Loved all of his banter with Lamar by the way, hated L's character until Trevor and him started interacting.
The ending was also top notch IMO (real spoilers right here warning warning)
I chose C, of course because I'm not an asshole (haven't done A and B yet, will probably get on that when I'm bored 100%'ing) and I was pleased with the ending. Typical happy ending and it felt obviously rushed (oh, look at all the enemies we made throughout the game, better tie up those loose ends with a couple drive-bys) but I appreciated all of the characters meeting up at what felt like the edge of the world and finishing off their last problem. I've seen complaints when it comes to M and T becoming friends again suddenly but if you paid attention to the characters, you know they had become friends again well before the final heist even took place.

Moving on, I want to talk about the two best parts of the game, the heists and being able to switch characters on the fly. Both of these did have their downfalls but I'll get to that. Firstly, switching. Loved it when it was done right notable examples include:
the IAA building extraction (to be expected that this was good since this was always the example R* went back to when talking about the system), the torture mission (fuck the haters, the mission was great and was super pertinent to the story and trevor characterization), and the jewelery store heist.
What do all of those mission have in common? The characters all had their own assigned tasks that lead to a greater goal and it felt good being able to switch on the fly to do what needed to be done my way. Having a man on the ground, in the air, and in a sniper post was beautiful but done right and being able to do it my way felt great. Unfortunately, this wasn't always the case, the missions where everyone was involved in a big fire fight and switching was just used to get a different perspective on the situation were lackluster at best which was saddening but understandable (honorable mention to out of mission switching and finding the character you switched to in a hilarious situation, loved finding trevor in his underwear more often than not when switching to him)

Now to the heists, the highest and lowest points of gameplay. My spoiler will include the way I did the heists.
Jewlery store (quiet), FIB (mopping/firefighter), and Big One (walking right out with the gold with no one the wiser till I was miles away from the building) were all fucking excellent missions. The heist tropes were all there (lolz at driving our sports cars into the back of semis under the bridge) and I fucking loved it.These three heists, in particular, were great because they felt like 3-4 GTA missions put together into one big one and it felt so varied throughout. Unfortunately, the other 3 heists wreen't up to snuff at all IMO. Trevor's super weapon heist was meh (took the one off-shore which was the boring option) but lack of pay-off or any real reason for doing the heist was really the crap on that one. The small town bank one was ok and I couldn't help but laugh when they all walked out in full army body armor but aside from the chuckle the mission was very samey and walk down corridor, shoot baddie, repeat till car which kind of sucked. I can't even think of the 6th heist now so I guess that speaks for itself (there were 6 right?)
Don't linger on my complaints in there too much though because when heists were done right, damn was I having fun and I hope online can match that awesomeness in some way.

Anyway, I'll cut the post out about now since it looks like I have a book almost done here. Haven't even talked about optional activities and stranger missions but needless to say, all of the extra content is amazing and better than the main game at times.

HOLY SHIT.....god dammit...

Landed out of nowhere from a parachute drop from Mount Chilliad so haf to run for a good 10min before I could get back to civilizations.... The moment I see a car I get jumped by a fucking cougar and killed instantantly.

I haven't run into any cougars yet, but due to RDR, I will instantly shoot any I see, forever.

I don't know if this is widely known, but the early mission with Michael and the LifeInvader press conference
where the cell phone blows up next to the guy's head
seems to be loosely based on a real-life event,
the assassination of a Hamas bombmaker by Israelis
:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahya_Ayyash

Huh, you learn something new every day. I saw it happen and immediately thought, "Law Abiding Citizen!"

I haven't run into any cougars yet, but due to RDR, I will instantly shoot any I see, forever.

Yep, zero tolerance policy on cougars over here. The moment I hear that snarling sound I'm drawin' my shootin' irons and blazing. I've seen one actually survive a burst of assault rifle fire, just get right back up and keep coming.

Top Bottom