• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

DukeBobby

This game is so good that it caused me to abandon GAF for several days.

I've finished the main story, and now I have to find these annoying collectibles.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
This game fixed everything I hated about GTA4... bravo RS.

Just completed the 1st heist. Felt good.. I hated the missions in 4 so much.. and the city didn't have enough to do other than just random fuckery.

Still wish for a little more "alive" city with more places to visit, rob, etc... but I'm loving what they've done.

Sorian

Banned
Switched to Trevor, and he's riding scooters with this random Los Santosian. Previous switch had him waking up drunk on train-tracks with a massive engine bearing down on him.

You got this during a switch?

This happened to me but I was in control of trevor. Saw a random event and went towards it, there was a blown up van and as I got close a red dot popped on my map and before I could turn to it someone nailed me with a stun gun. Woke up on the tracks with the train coming at me. Cool that you could just switch into that (also would like to know who the fuck that was).

Fuck not just Franklins car but all my guys cars are reset to default.

Thanks a lot Rockstar. That's probably about150K worth of car upgrades I lost.

I actually really like the combat and how aggressive the police are. It makes all those encounters so intense and feel moderately more realistic. I do agree about the bumps and the slowness in getting up after falling. I feel like characters should not take 4-5 seconds to get up after they slip (or get bumped) and fall, they should immediately be responsive and get to their feet right away.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
GTA Online does have real, meaty missions with more story, voice acting, etc. It also has a lot of semi-random emergent stuff, which is where the 500 missions figure comes from.

Genius of Rockstar to tie so many achievements and trophies to online, and then not launch it for 2 weeks. Ensures people hold onto their copies, driving down trade-ins and used sales.

Also, if people people aren't using Social Club, sign up for it right now.

It gives you a map with all collectible locations and random event locations.

It gives you a complete checklist of everything you need to do to get 100%.

It lets you see your stats and performance for any of the 69 main missions you've completed, with specific instructions on what the objectives are to help you get Gold medals.

It gives you comprehensive stats that aren't available in game, like which vehicles you have or haven't driven, etc.

Megasoum

Banned
GTA Online does have real, meaty missions with more story, voice acting, etc. It also has a lot of semi-random emergent stuff, which is where the 500 missions figure comes from.

Genius of Rockstar to tie so many achievements and trophies to online, and then not launch it for 2 weeks. Ensures people hold onto their copies, driving down trade-ins and used sales.

It lets you see your stats and performance for any of the 69 main missions you've completed, with specific instructions on what the objectives are to help you get Gold medals.

It gives you comprehensive stats that aren't available in game, like which vehicles you have or haven't driven, etc

That's great and all....the problem with Social Club is not its features, it's the fact it's down 75% of the time since the game launched.

Dresden

fuuuuuuuuck

Found and appropriated a Coil Voltic on the streets (it's the Tesla knockoff in the game), went to the garage to stash it after modding it, and it turns out that the garage can only hold four cars. Well, just pop in, remove a car and replace it as they tell you do to on the prompts, right? I go inside, take out a car, and when I'm back out the Coil is gone.

oh my.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Until social club is working on a consistent basis, I wouldn't do anything having to do with upgrading cars. I assume there is something internally in their system running through the club and the iFruit app that is messing with people's experience if they are online (or do what I do and just unplug from live/psn until things are better, I had to because my camera would not work for ingame missions because social club was freaking it out).

I didn't even think about that. Yeah, I guess that ifruit app kind of screwed everything up, huh? #secondscreenfuture

Sorian

Banned
That's great and all....the problem with Social Club is not its features, it's the fact it's down 75% of the time since the game launched.

You're being generous, try 90% of the time. I look forward to playing GTA Online on november 1st :(

I didn't even think about that. Yeah, I guess that ifruit app kind of screwed everything up, huh? #secondscreenfuture

Decent idea on paper but R* should have anticipated that their servers would not be able to handle this many social accounts at once (though they may have done this on purpose as a dry run to see an approximate server load that they will be hit with when 10/1 rolls around).

DukeBobby

After finishing the story, I can safely say that Trevor is one of my top 5 gaming characters of all time.

He steals every scene, and his voice acting is so damn perfect.

Alienous

After finishing the story, I can safely say that Trevor is one of my top 5 gaming characters of all time.

He steals every scene, and his voice acting is so damn perfect.

I know, right?

He deserves a lot more praise. Especially when we consider characters like Vaas as great video game characters.

The acting is amazing across the board, but you have your eyes trained on Trevor every scene.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies

I'm accessing it literally right this moment and have never had any trouble getting any of my stats to load. Worst I've seen is some pages hanging for ~5 seconds until my data loads in.

fuuuuuuuuck

Found and appropriated a Coil Voltic on the streets (it's the Tesla knockoff in the game), went to the garage to stash it after modding it, and it turns out that the garage can only hold four cars. Well, just pop in, remove a car and replace it as they tell you do to on the prompts, right? I go inside, take out a car, and when I'm back out the Coil is gone.

Check the impound lot.

naku

Okay, so this is the weirdest thing ever happened to me in my history of gaming:

I was playing with my sister's bf, and we were just riding around San Andreas. My dad came into the room. He sat down and just stared at the screen for a good 10 mins. Then he asked "is this the game that broke some records, sold $800mil or something?"
We were like, yeah it is.

I was driving back to Los Santos from the north and I told my dad I recognized some of the places from the real SoCal coastline, since I was an exchange student there. I was telling him that it was pretty similar to the roads I had ridden my bike on. Then my dad asked my mom over to see what was going on.

I ended up driving around pretty much the whole map and telling them stories, while explaining the locations, roads, buildings, etc. with every detail I know and where have I been. It took like an hour or so.

I never imagined that my parents would be interested in a videogame like that.

Derrick01

Banned

It gives you comprehensive stats that aren't available in game, like which vehicles you have or haven't driven, etc.

Yeah I've been trying to tell people the site is really well done and detailed. I was so surprised to find out that 100% in this game is only a certain percentage of the actual available content and not...well, 100%. I had a feeling 14 random events was way too small for the size of this game.

Sanic

Mid game-ish spoilers, have a question on how to start a mission:

What do I need to do to start Blitz Play, the third heist? I have all of the prep work done, and I did the first assassination mission with Franklin like the text told me. Nothings happening. Note that I have NOT yet done the second heist, with the cargo ship. All the prep work for it is done but I haven't started the mission. I really would rather do the FIB thing first, I hate this crap with them. Really boring.

Alienous

Yeah I've been trying to tell people the site is really well done and detailed. I was so surprised to find out that 100% in this game is only a certain percentage of the actual available content and not...well, 100%. I had a feeling 14 random events was way too small for the size of this game.

I'm surprised that Rockstar didn't go with the PR line of "Getting 100% is so unfeasible, and would take so long, 100% completion of the game doesn't require you to see all of the content. GTA V's that big."

Sorian

Banned
He steals every scene he is in.

Racist!

Mid game-ish spoilers, have a question on how to start a mission:

What do I need to do to start Blitz Play, the third heist? I have all of the prep work done, and I did the first assassination mission with Franklin like the text told me. Nothings happening. Note that I have NOT yet done the second heist, with the cargo ship. All the prep work for it is done but I haven't started the mission. I really would rather do the FIB thing first, I hate this crap with them. Really boring.

You answered your own question. Do the quest you have been ignoring for no good reason.

border

Genius of Rockstar to tie so many achievements and trophies to online, and then not launch it for 2 weeks. Ensures people hold onto their copies, driving down trade-ins and used sales..

How can you say that failing to have working multiplayer at game launch is "genius"?

I don't think the GTA Online delay is really a concerted strategy either, since the existence of online modes is kinda buried in the menus and not really pushed at all in mainstream marketing materials. The obsessive type that wants every trophy, achievement, and collectible wasn't going to trade the game in for months anyway.

The very real danger is that casual players who don't obsess over collections and don't follow gaming news extensively will finish the story mode and either trade it in or stop playing before GTA Online even launches. And Rockstar will have failed to monetize all those people. I'm honestly surprised they didn't just delay the entire game 'till they had GTA Online ready. Was there some deadline that required them to release the game before the end of a fiscal quarter?

Megasoum

Banned
Lester mission question

So I did the 3rd(I think it's 3rd anyway) assassination mission for Lester. The one where I kill the dude with the bus... I think Lester said I should wait before investing... Does that mean I should buy the stocks when they are low right after the mission and they will go back up?

How can you say that failing to have working multiplayer at game launch is "genius"?

I don't think the GTA Online delay is really a concerted strategy either, since the existence of online modes is kinda buried in the menus and not really pushed at all in mainstream marketing materials. The obsessive type that wants every trophy, achievement, and collectible wasn't going to trade the game in for a couple weeks anyway.

The very real danger is that casual players who don't obsess over collections and don't follow gaming news extensively will finish the story mode and either trade it in or stop playing before GTA Online even launches.
Casual players won't finish this game in 2 weeks.

Sanic

Racist!

You answered your own question. Do the quest you have been ignoring for no good reason.

It would be nice to have an indication that I need to do that one first, or that I need to do anything in a particular order. Good to know I just need to soldier through it.

Sorian

Banned

I don't think the GTA Online delay is really a concerted strategy either, since the existence of online modes is kinda buried in the menus and not really pushed at all in mainstream marketing materials. The obsessive type that wants every trophy, achievement, and collectible wasn't going to trade the game in for a couple weeks anyway.

The very real danger is that casual players who don't obsess over collections and don't follow gaming news extensively will finish the story mode and either trade it in or stop playing before GTA Online even launches.

Who's to say they "failed" to have working multiplayer at launch? I'm sure it is up and running no problem with the only possible issue being their server load. You're being silly if you think that this wasn't a strategy on their part. There are hints all over the place that this game has online features and that they are coming 10/1, people are going to notice and wait for it. If you really think people have to obsess over gaming news to know that this game has an online mode then you are out of touch.

megalowho

Drove up to a random liquor store off the highway, walked inside, bought some candy and then robbed the cashier at gunpoint before speeding away. Then I called my therapist. Felt totally organic as it unfolded, didn't even know small robberies like that were possible. What a game.

Sorian

Banned
can anyone tell me if he gets more screentime later in the game ?

He gets picked up a lot again in the final fourth of the game. He had a lot more screentime than I was expecting.

It would be nice to have an indication that I need to do that one first, or that I need to do anything in a particular order. Good to know I just need to soldier through it.

I'm all for doing things out of order but it should be pretty clear that you have to do a particular mission when it is the only one left on your map :)

There seems to be Lamar missions in GTA online. I remember seeing him in the trailer. So story wise this isn't the last of him

Yup Lamar and Lester are mission givers in GTA:O.

Anyone know if packie will respawn, I think I fucked up early in and killed him but I want hi for heists

border

Who's to say they "failed" to have working multiplayer at launch?

It's generally expected that a game should launch with its multiplayer modes intact. If it doesn't then it's a pretty good indicator that they were running behind schedule. Given how janky both the iPhone app and Social Club turned out to be, I think it's a pretty good bet that the things are not firmly in place for GTA Online.

They are making the best of a bad situation, but I'd hardly call it a strategy.....much less a smart strategy.

Certinty

Another vote for Lemar here, me and my friend love him. About 70% through the game and so far he's by far the best character, his dialogue alone is simply terrific.

Sorian

Banned
It's generally expected that a game should launch with its multiplayer modes intact. If it doesn't then it's a pretty good indicator that they were running behind schedule. Given how janky both the iPhone app and Social Club turned out to be, I think it's a pretty good bet that the things are not firmly in place for GTA Online.

They are making the best of a bad situation, but I'd hardly call it a strategy.....much less a "genius" strategy.

As I said, the only hiccup is server load. I'm willing to bet it all that Online was done when the game released. Maybe its "making the best of a bad situation" but that is a strategy. Kill two birds with one stone. See what the load looks like on the servers and make people salivate over the delicious multiplayer that is coming. Hell, I bet you R* will get double sales from plenty of fools who trade in the game because they don't want to wait for multi and then getting sucked right back in when a friend says how awesome it is.

I had some weird issues while playing today.

First the game really started taking its time loading buildings and textures when driving around.

And while doing 'Three's Company"
In the scene where I'm supposed to shoot at copters with Michael, camera was stuck inside his head and I couldn't use the weapon to shoot anything.
Took me several fail states before it started working.

Anyone else had these issues or is my old ass PS3 starting to fry?

border

I finished the main story/campaign. What should I do now? What is the most fun and engaging of the extracurricular stuff?

I really don't get the game's emphasis on collecting clothes, cars, property, etc. The outfits don't seem like anything special, cars are pretty disposable, and property seems like a terrible waste of money unless you plan on playing the game for a seriously long time. How long does it take for you to even earn back the money you spend buying a property?

I didn't try to play the stock market at all. I guess the general idea is that you're supposed to buy stock in a company who will benefit from one of your assassination missions? Or can you short-sell on an assassination target's company?

Derrick01

Banned
I'm surprised that Rockstar didn't go with the PR line of "Getting 100% is so unfeasible, and would take so long, 100% completion of the game doesn't require you to see all of the content. GTA V's that big."

It probably will take a really long time especially with how slow I'm moving. At the same time I wish they made it so you actually have to do everything in this game. It's such a rare game that I don't think most would mind doing anything regardless.

Top Bottom