• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Does the Avery Real Estate website serve any real purpose? They put GPS coordinates on your map of homes for sale but can you buy those homes or do anything to them? Be nice if you could somehow rob them.

There's a side mission related to that site. No robbing or buying as far as I know.

Finished it, 75% complete with nearly 35 hours of gameplay. Probably going to try and 100% it.

Story fell apart for me in the middle, I didn't know why they got themselves into the situations they did and were doing the things they did.

Thoroughly enjoyed it though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Trevor/Michael story spoilers
Trevor just kidnapped Martin's wife. On a mission to steal guns from Merryweather
How far into the game am I?

I'd say about 2/3 of the way if you want me to estimate. Maybe 3/4 of the way. There is some major things to do yet but you aren't terribly off.

Finished it, 75% complete with nearly 35 hours of gameplay. Probably going to try and 100% it.

Story fell apart for me in the middle, I didn't know why they got themselves into the situations they did and were doing the things they did.

Thoroughly enjoyed it though.

I actually thought the story flowed very naturally. Best woven story of the series by far. Nothing feels really forced. Not when you account for all the characters and their behavior.

You can argue on cast but in terms of execution, this is the best GTA story.

a.wd

Is anyone else having trouble with getting the films at the cinema to play? Just sat here looking at a blanke screen with a couple of heads in the audience....

vixlar

The bullet impacts on your body look different if you are wearing armor :-o

I can't take pictures. :-( When I press A to save it locally, the xbox freeezes.

I lke the flowing of the gameplay. In previous GTA's, the cycle was finish a mission, go to Ammunation to max out the weapons and armor, go to safehouse to save, repeat. In this game the flow is more natural.

scarlet

Man i can't wait for the PC version , so i can mod the bullshit out of this game.

Dying in one shot is just bullshit design, in an open world game.

I was cruising in the mountains with Trevor, i read some subtitles about "do you even speak English?" or something like that, i don't even hear the sound of the dialogue.
I look around to see who's talking, before i can even react, they shoot me in the head and i'm dead in one hit.

Could've been something cool and random, but instead i was dead before even understanding what the fuck was going on, back at the hospital, had to do all that road all over again, so i turned off the game and did something else.
I love this game, but man that health thing is seriously ruining my enjoyment of the free roam part of it.

I met them twice with michael asking for passport

And i lost some of my cars, luckily it was free

Couldn’t put the controller down and played this all day today non-stop. I’ve done about 3 missions as Trevor and it just keeps getting better and better!

Not only is this the GOTY....but its one of the best games of all time. I’m constantly amazed with everything this game throws at me. SO GOOOOOOD!

Randdalf

The bullet impacts on your body look different if you are wearing armor :-o

I can't take pictures. :-( When I press A to save it locally, the xbox freeezes.

I lke the flowing of the gameplay. In previous GTA's, the cycle was finish a mission, go to Ammunation to max out the weapons and armor, go to safehouse to save, repeat. In this game the flow is more natural.

That probably is still the best way to play the game, minus the saving. I didn't restock at Ammu-Nation nearly enough, did 95% of the missions without any armour, and even started one mission as Franklin with no ammo.

MMaRsu

Played GTAV for ten minutes. Jumped in a yacht, sailed into the middle of the ocean amidst a crackling storm, as Chicago - If You Leave Me Now played. Dove out. Got eaten by a shark.

~*~ i didnt choose the thug life, the thug life chose me ~*~

I guess it's better than the ending to Dexter hahaha

scarlet

Couldn’t put the controller down and played this all day today non-stop. I’ve done about 3 missions as Trevor and it just keeps getting better and better!

Not only is this the GOTY....but its one of the best games of all time. I’m constantly amazed with everything this game throws at me. SO GOOOOOOD!

I play almost 32 hours since friday

Loved it! but the garage glitch slightly annoyed me

MMaRsu

How am I supposed to trade stock? Every time I go to the website its down. I'm doing the Franklin missions with
Lester are to play the market. I can't tell if I'm supposed to be getting in on it too or if its just him making the money.

Dude dont do the Lester missions until the end! And then invest big in Goldcoast and Debonaire.

Dont use BAWSAQ, it's the online trading. Use the other market, it's for offline.

God R* screwed up a lot of shit with this game.

Man i can't wait for the PC version , so i can mod the bullshit out of this game.

Dying in one shot is just bullshit design, in an open world game.

I was cruising in the mountains with Trevor, i read some subtitles about "do you even speak English?" or something like that, i don't even hear the sound of the dialogue.
I look around to see who's talking, before i can even react, they shoot me in the head and i'm dead in one hit.

Could've been something cool and random, but instead i was dead before even understanding what the fuck was going on, back at the hospital, had to do all that road all over again, so i turned off the game and did something else.
I love this game, but man that health thing is seriously ruining my enjoyment of the free roam part of it.

And yet they have "border patrol". :p

I mean there is border patrol in florida, kinda :)

low health does kinda suck in this. I'm confused how armor works... It takes like 2-3 of the biggest body armor to fill up the bar... but that gets empty after a few hits... doesn't seem like a good investment of a few grand. I don't think i've encountered any body armor on the map like previous gta and with items not highlighted anymore, i feel like i miss quite a few health packs.

Yeah, I pretty much like everything about this game except getting into combat.

well also hate getting rid of stars. Why hasn't rockstar gotten the message.... missions where you have to escape the police in a slow ass truck thing is not fun.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I mean there is border patrol in florida, kinda :)

low health does kinda suck in this. I'm confused how armor works... It takes like 2-3 of the biggest body armor to fill up the bar... but that gets empty after a few hits... doesn't seem like a good investment of a few grand. I don't think i've encountered any body armor on the map like previous gta and with items not highlighted anymore, i feel like i miss quite a few health packs.

Yeah, I pretty much like everything about this game except getting into combat.

well also hate getting rid of stars. Why hasn't rockstar gotten the message.... missions where you have to escape the police in a slow ass truck thing is not fun.

I beat the game last night and haven't been busted once. It's not that hard to break free or find an alley after you get some daylight.

Dizzle24

I've spent so much money on clothes in this game for all characters lol. At least $30,000 each.

I like how when you go into certain stores with the characters, you can tell that they do not like the clothes you are trying on, by their mannerisms; like Michael shaking his head if you go into Binco or Suburban and try ANYTHING on. And the opposite if you take him to Posonboy's. Nice little touch Rockstar!

lil smoke

Banned
Its good to know I'm not the only one getting my butt handed to me in combat.

Can't get down with all the controls, could not shoot behind me, the cover mode is awkward and clunky, I can't see the fuckin pixel to aim, and yeah, 2 shots, armor and health in red, one shot dead before I find any health.

Yep. I'll be skipping 40% of this game, all the shooter games aren't for me. I don't remember having to ever skip stuff in any other GTAs except for the RC mission.

Still fun game tho, just opened up flight training and get to switch characters again.
Not the best game in all life though, as I thought it might've been.

Randdalf

Can't get down with all the controls, could not shoot behind me, the cover mode is awkward and clunky, I can't see the fuckin pixel to aim, and yeah, 2 shots, armor and health in red, one shot dead before I find any health.

Yep. I'll be skipping 40% of this game, all the shooter games aren't for me. I don't remember having to ever skip stuff in any other GTAs except for the RC mission.

Still fun game tho, just opened up flight training and get to switch characters again.

I thought the shooting parts were pretty easy for the most part. You don't even have to aim, just zoom out and zoom in and you're locked onto a target if there's one in view. Nudge the cursor up slightly and you get a headshot.

Change the crosshair to complex (or whatever it is) and it'll be easier to see.

I managed to get into the same groove as I did with GTA IV, just aiming for the center mass and lightly pressing the stick upwards. Recoil did the rest and I'd get headshots most of the time.

komplanen

I just saved a woman from being molested by two old men with their dicks hanging out. I mean literally full frontal nudity without any blurring or pixelation. OK :-D

Dizzle24

Are you using Michael's
Slow-Mo time
and Trevor's
Rampage
special ability? HELPS A LOT BRO. Franklin on the other hand...gotta go fast! To cover, that is.

I play almost 32 hours since friday

Loved it! but the garage glitch slightly annoyed me

I've had the glitch happen for the character specific garages, but every time I've put it into a garage that holds multiple cars they've always stayed. Maybe try out that?!

And is it just me or is the number next to each character when you switch them bugged? It comes up with a 1 but no missions come up on the map for that character...

Andrew.

Banned
First day back at work after being off all last week for the gaming experience of the year.

Im glad I finished last night, but man being back at work sucks. Thank god for the power of daydreaming.

Michael's therapist at the end:

I had a feeling you were gonna get the choice to off the guy, and I pulled it off quite smoothly. As soon as he bolted out of the door and got into his Comet, I pulled out my supressed shotgun, put on slo mo and shot him twice through the drivers side window. Dude didnt even have a chance to pull out onto the road. He also had a little over 2k on him. Pubic headed bastard.

lil smoke

Banned
$80,000,- for both platforms for a simple patch is a lot of money.

That's pennies man!

RE: escaping cops in slow vans.... I like the train track route. Seems to work most of the time as long as I drive clean towards a tunnel.

More TIPS please, keep em coming, that's what I came here for guys :)

I thought the shooting parts were pretty easy for the most part. You don't even have to aim, just zoom out and zoom in and you're locked onto a target if there's one in view. Nudge the cursor up slightly and you get a headshot.

Yeah, I don't care for shooters, I play mainly racing and sports games, I have never had game shooter reflexes.

When the targets are right in front, I did get that I could duck in/out cover and the targets would stick like IV, but when they approach and start circling 'round me, I get too discombobulated with the controls, usually someone gets too close behind me, and instant death.

I didn't feel the special ability did anything, but make it harder to see the little pixel. Played with the reticle settings, dunno, maybe I'll try again, but at this point, I admit I would rather skip and just do what I consider to be the fun stuff, like racing and taxi missions (which I don't know why you couldn't provide more variety R*)

I've had the glitch happen for the character specific garages, but every time I've put it into a garage that holds multiple cars they've always stayed. Maybe try out that?!

And is it just me or is the number next to each character when you switch them bugged? It comes up with a 1 but no missions come up on the map for that character...

Some missions can only be started at certain times of day, so that character may have a mission that just isn't available at that particular time.

Philia

First day back at work after being off all last week for the gaming experience of the year.

Im glad I finished last night, but man being back at work sucks. Thank god for the power of daydreaming.

Michael's therapist at the end:

Was this scenario available post game?

Ugh. I'm so pissed at myself right now. (Spoilers for "Kifflom!" mission chain)

So, I went through all the long and agonizing steps to complete the Epsilon cult chain. Spent a good hour searching for the cars, listened to podcasts while I ran circles in the desert, all because I knew there was a $2.1 million payoff at the end if you steal the money.

Finally got to the last quest, and followed all the game's instructions, thinking that at some point it was going to pop up something like, "Either hand over the money or attempt to steal it." Started to get suspicious when I was being led down the stairs away from the car full of cash, but still went with it. Then I see the other "reward" for this quest, and just as I think, "Oh, fuck no," the screen flashes, "Mission complete!"

And I was too slow on the trigger to stop the autosave from happening, and my last hard save was several quests ago, so now I'm stuck with it. Guess that's what I get for blindly following instructions and not even considering doing anything that I wasn't being told to do. Hmm, maybe this whole quest chain was a metaphor for something... :)

Fjordson

So, I went through all the long and agonizing steps to complete the Epsilon cult chain. Spent a good hour searching for the cars, listened to podcasts while I ran circles in the desert, all because I knew there was a $2.1 million payoff at the end if you steal the money.

Finally got to the last quest, and followed all the game's instructions, thinking that at some point it was going to pop up something like, "Either hand over the money or attempt to steal it." Started to get suspicious when I was being led down the stairs away from the car full of cash, but still went with it. Then I see the other "reward" for this quest, and just as I think, "Oh, fuck no," the screen flashes, "Mission complete!"

And I was too slow on the trigger to stop the autosave from happening, and my last hard save was several quests ago, so now I'm stuck with it. Guess that's what I get for blindly following instructions and not even considering doing anything that I wasn't being told to do. Hmm, maybe this whole quest chain was a metaphor for something... :)
How do you start that chain? I haven't seen anything yet (just finished the second heist). Is it a stranger mission initially?

Philia

How do you start that chain? I haven't seen anything yet (just finished the second heist). Is it a stranger mission initially?

Yeah, you hear a dude talk about going to www. eplisonprogram.com on your internet ingame to access this whole sidequest. I didn't bother because it reeked of bullshit.

Andrew.

Banned
Did you get your...
write up from him about your own... personal character (you)? After credits?

Sure did. Strangely enough, some of that
character report
actually sounded a lot like me in real life. Any idea on how its calculated?

Philia

Sure did. Strangely enough, some of that
character report
actually sounded a lot like me in real life. Any idea on how its calculated?

I'm curious myself too because that was a really neat feature. :3 I regret not taking a picture of it.

beastmode

Weird. I thought it was way too easy for half the game. Switched to manual aiming.

Fjordson

Yeah, you hear a dude talk about going to www. eplisonprogram.com on your internet ingame to access this whole sidequest. I didn't bother because it reeked of bullshit.
Hmm. I'll have to check it out. A friend has been doing it and said it's actually pretty entertaining.

Andrew.

Banned

It's really, really worth it in the long run (money wise), however a couple of the quests are indeed bullshitty.

scarlet

I'm sorry for your loss

Use manual save homie! manual!

I beat the game last night and haven't been busted once. It's not that hard to break free or find an alley after you get some daylight.

me neither. it's just well... it can taaake a while. and i think there was an occasion where a cop was on a bridge above me... but their vision cone hit me and 'saw' me...

So what are y'all's firearm of choice? i've been mostly using the assault rifle thats not the AK.

I do like the shotgun though, shit got insane range for a 'videogame shotgun'.

Marleyman

Banned
I don't understand the complaint about getting killed in one hit. It doesn't always happen; you can kill people in one hit so why is it is a big deal that you can be killed?

I haven't posted much because of how much time I have put into this game. I am not that far into it but it is easily my favorite GTA so far. There is so much to do, so many little touches that make it the most immersive experience I have ever had in my 25+ years of gaming.

There are little things that bother me(the BAWSAQ issues, Snapmatic not working all the time) but the variety, the music, the city, the views are all just fantastic.

MAX PAYMENT

I played the game from start to finish on free aim and didn't have too many problems.
Proper use of cover and navigating around objects to get the advantage is very important.
The special abilities almost make it too easy.

So in gta verse, is America just a nation of islands?

I think it's thought of as a cohesive continent, but technological and imagination constraints prevented them from making the worlds anything but islands. Before map leaks came out I was expecting the new Los Santos to have a never ending desert surrounding it, where you eventually got turned around if you were flying or driving into it.

In RDR it was easy to make a hemmed in world -- you couldn't swim and you didn't have vehicles to test the limits of the geography.

Question -- if you put an advanced scope on your gun, how do you use it? I modded one of the auto-rifles to have a scope, but when I click in the button that zooms, it still just gives me the standard zoom, not a more advanced scope (I was expecting like a sniper scope).

Also I'm sure everybody talked about this pages ago but I don't want to click back through:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/23/4761314/rockstar-working-on-gta-5-fix-for-vanishing-vehicles

Working on a patch. Who knows when it'll release but hopefully soon. I'm just hoping vehicle ownership isn't borked for Online.

Top Bottom