• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

So ICP didnt have a track in the game why again?

One of Trevor's friends pretty much screams Juggalo

Probably because they're making fun of ICP & Juggalos with that character, and that ICP has to be one of the worst successful music acts in the last 20 years.

So, GTA:O has missions, right? It seems you meet characters, and even play out a story.

I mean, it pretty much sounds like Burnout in which there are tons of small missions to complete. It could add so much replay value to the game if the objectives are creative enough.

Yep, GTA:Online has hundreds of "missions," some 700 or so by estimates in interviews. These change from traditional online modes like deathmatch, races, and so on, to challenges, robberies, and all the way up to large-scale heists (smaller scale than the heists in the game, but still described pretty awesome). If you want a taste of some of them, check out IGN or CVG's GTA Online impressions from about 3 weeks ago.

Sonix90

Neo Member
Are there any games that let you make notes and permanent markers on the in-game map?

Thinking about defacing my map by making notes for body armour, stashes, special vehicles etc

You can leave permanent markers on the map, in the pause menu with the triangle/Y button. I don't remember now if they show up on the radar, and you can't describe them unfortunately.

So do we know yet in GTA Online if you can kill your friends during the heist and pick up their share or is it simply just killing them after the mission to get their money before they get to an ATM?

Man, I wish it was more consistent with which crashes sending you flying through the windscreen - sometimes I've crashed into another car going super fast and had nothing happen, yet I'll barely be speeding and clip the corner of another car and suddenly Franklin goes ragdoll through the windscreen, which seems to be a guaranteed insta-death every time. Why the fuck don't these characters wear seatbelts?

lil smoke

Banned
Man, I wish it was more consistent with which crashes sending you flying through the windscreen - sometimes I've crashed into another car going super fast and had nothing happen, yet I'll barely be speeding and clip the corner of another car and suddenly Franklin goes ragdoll through the windscreen, which seems to be a guaranteed insta-death every time. Why the fuck don't these characters wear seatbelts?

It would be kind of cool if you could upgrade to an air bag.

But yeah some cars are built stronger than others.

I'm not excited at all for online.

Not too fond of the online gamers crowd, I'm too old for that shit, so it kinda sucks that they put this much effort into MP, where there are some gaping holes in SP.

Yeah same here. I absolutely hate the fact that the online will be tied to the social club which is utter shit. The features tired to the social club it's just plain dumb-like the haircuts, the elegy Nissan gtr rip off. Did anyone notice that despite then showing Michael with the khamelion car in promotional shots, it's not in the bar game? Also the war stock page on the actual life invader webpage has an apache type chopper but it's not in the game!

rjcc

Yeah same here. I absolutely hate the fact that the online will be tied to the social club which is utter shit. The features tired to the social club it's just plain dumb-like the haircuts, the elegy Nissan gtr rip off. Did anyone notice that despite then showing Michael with the khamelion car in promotional shots, it's not in the bar game? Also the war stock page on the actual life invader webpage has an apache type chopper but it's not in the game!

if you choose to only play part of the game, that's your fault. there's a thing called a friends list. both systems have it.

you fill it with people who aren't assholes and then you play with them. that's how life works

So do we know yet in GTA Online if you can kill your friends during the heist and pick up their share or is it simply just killing them after the mission to get their money before they get to an ATM?

Deaths in GTA Online are a little different, for heists. All players respawn until the team death limit is hit. So, you have a specific amount of team deaths, let's say 8... And so if 1 guy dies 8 times, then you will fail that mission. But, you can't "perma kill" one guy for the mission, he will come back until the team death limit is hit.

Deaths in GTA Online are a little different, for heists. All players respawn until the team death limit is hit. So, you have a specific amount of team deaths, let's say 8... And so if 1 guy dies 8 times, then you will fail that mission. But, you can't "perma kill" one guy for the mission, he will come back until the team death limit is hit.

Oh damn, so can you not steal other player's cut til after the leader divvies up the take? That kind of sucks if it's just killing them before they can get to an ATM. I thought it would be like in the game where if someone dies you pick up their share and they're just SOL.

lil smoke

Banned
if you choose to only play part of the game, that's your fault. there's a thing called a friends list. both systems have it.

you fill it with people who aren't assholes and then you play with them. that's how life works

STFU. that's how life works.

Life is not a video game friends list, maybe in your little world.

Moze

Banned
Why is everyone looking over how bad the shooting and cover mechanics are? The cover system is borderline unusable and the shooting basically forces you to use auto aim because free aim is clunky as fuck.

How do Rockstar consistently get away with the exact same thing?

tranciful

I know you can rob
liquor
stores and
convenient
stores, and sometimes those
armored cars
pop up on your radar. Is there anything else you can rob that isn't part of the story? Really wish there were more free-form heists built into the open world game. Maybe GTA:O will have some of that?

You can leave permanent markers on the map, in the pause menu with the triangle/Y button. I don't remember now if they show up on the radar, and you can't describe them unfortunately.

You only get one marker I think though, the waypoint, and it disappears when you move it :(

I want the full works, dozens of markers, colour-coding, annotations, numbered markers, everything :D

You're not shitting. I have spent soooo much time just driving around and as late flying. just flying and taking it all in. The only reason i've done missions is to unlock stuff and make money.
I've forgotten what having money is like. Seems like I just keep doing missions for jack and shit, and sometimes both.

So many unpaid missions.

Tawpgun

Why is everyone looking over how bad the shooting and cover mechanics are? The cover system is borderline unusable and the shooting basically forces you to use auto aim because free aim is clunky as fuck.

I got no issues with either one. I'm free aiming my way through. Practicing for GTAO

Oh damn, so can you not steal other player's cut til after the leader divvies up the take? That kind of sucks if it's just killing them before they can get to an ATM. I thought it would be like in the game where if someone dies you pick up their share and they're just SOL.

Yeah, I think so, the leader has to divvy up the winnings at the end. Although we don't exactly know how the mechanic works... in the IGN walkthrough they didn't talk at all about mechanics, just a glorified mission story telling.

I got no issues with either one. I'm free aiming my way through. Practicing for GTAO

Do you know if GTA:O is free-aim only? I hope that it is... but Rockstar has had sort of a shitty track record on that. GTAIV and RDR both launched with auto-aim online which was really crappy.

Dave_6

There's a property up in the northwest that gives you access to the sub!

You know the dockyard that Trevor can buy in the upper left part of the map on the coast? There is a sub and a dinghy both docked there.

Edit: beaten

You have to buy the
Sonar Collections Dock.

I would also like to say that the submarine is one of the worst vehicles I've ever used in a game. It controls like ass and is extremely slow.

Thanks guys!

Moze

Banned

You have no problem with cover? Really? I find that hard to believe

The cover system and invisible crosshairs make free aiming a chore. The fact your character dies after a few shots does no help either

I actually refuse to believe you went through the whole game without frustration while using free aim.

rjcc

STFU. that's how life works.

Life is not a video game friends list, maybe in your little world.

no, it's meeting people who aren't assholes and hanging out with them.

you don't seem to be too friendly in general, maybe you haven't figured that out.

The cover system and invisible crosshairs make free aiming a chore. The fact your character dies after a few shots does no help either

I actually refuse to believe you went through the whole game without frustration while using free aim.

Can't you change the crosshair type in the settings menu?

I don't think there's anything wrong with the cover mechanic? Shooting I'm in the middle on ... I really struggled with the free aim and couldn't hit shit. I'm using assisted aim because I died so much in a few missions with free aim that it just wasn't worth ti for me

I agree for the most part on the shooting but I don't think the cover is that bad at all. It seems just as (if not more) intuitive as other games that utilize it like Uncharted. Although I admit Uncharted's is kind of clunky and annoying too at times.

I don't think any cover system will hold a candle to Gears.

bidguy

Banned

man soft lock takes all the fun out of the game. free aim is the way to go.

i actually find it easier that way since you can line up headshots a lot better. soft lock aims straight at the center of the body.

Amory

Is the "pick a response to emails" thing broken? I can only ever select one response and it's often not what I actually want to say...

Is the "pick a response to emails" thing broken? I can only ever select one response and it's often not what I actually want to say...

Yes, it is.

I think it's a feature they went to implement but never did. It says, "pick a response" but only has one response type. As far as I know, the responses in IV and V never changed anything.

Moze

Banned
Can't you change the crosshair type in the settings menu?

You can, and it helps a lot for riffles and such, but handguns and SMG' still have an invisible crosshair

I don't think there's anything wrong with the cover mechanic? Shooting I'm in the middle on ... I really struggled with the free aim and couldn't hit shit. I'm using assisted aim because I died so much in a few missions with free aim that it just wasn't worth ti for me

It feels like the whole game was built for auto aim

I agree for the most part on the shooting but I don't think the cover is that bad at all. It seems just as (if not more) intuitive as other games that utilize it like Uncharted. Although I admit Uncharted's is kind of clunky and annoying too at times.

I don't think any cover system will hold a candle to Gears.

You can't vault over cover or even switch between cover though. It blows my mind how anyone can actually like the cover system. Everything about the cover system is clunky

Tawpgun

Do you know if GTA:O is free-aim only? I hope that it is... but Rockstar has had sort of a shitty track record on that. GTAIV and RDR both launched with auto-aim online which was really crappy.
No idea but god I hope so. I exclusively searched for no auto aim settings in GTAIV. Hated getting capped by some guy because he saw me first. I could see them launching with auto aim on.... But I could also see them going with auto aim on for NPC's but there would be no auto aim on other players.

yeah but i feel like it 16 players in one city is not enough. wish they would make 32 happen
I wish.

I'm getting ready for the 4th? heist
Paleto Bay Bank
and so far haven't had issues.

Using simple aiming crosshair too.
If you're the asshole, sure ;P

I prefer co-op with my buddies, but we'll end up being assholes to each other, guaranteed. Its just happens in GTA.
true but it can get tired real fast depending on the asshole

I just liked the emergent gameplay of trust from GTA freemode. You could team up with a random and roll together... or you could join another group of people and fuck their shit from the inside.

my god is the sub slow. The original mission where you jack one... i felt like it took me a good 10+min before i got my way to the objective point... maybe i took the wrong way around.

So can you redo heists from the other option?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Guys can I actually get rid of the 5 stars wanted? I'm currently out at sea in a high speed boat chase with 3 helicopters and 4 boats after me for the last 20 minutes.

Should I stop the boat and take them all out with the RPG?

Cmagus

I'm trying to buy this on psn right now but i keep getting an "error has occurred" message with no number or anything after I hit purchase and it sits there for awhile. I've checked everything billing, credit card (card is empty), address, restarting I have no idea. I have bought 100% of my games through psn store and this is the first time I've seen this. Anyone have this or know how to fix it?

Moze

Banned
man soft lock takes all the fun out of the game. free aim is the way to go.

i actually find it easier that way since you can line up headshots a lot better. soft lock aims straight at the center of the body.

I prefer free aim but i just find it far too easy to die in the game. It took me 5+ times to complete Trevors first rampage mission while using free aim

You can't vault over cover or even switch between cover though. It blows my mind how anyone can actually like the cover system. Everything about the cover system is clunky

Good point, it's pretty basic and far from perfect but I guess I don't mind it because I'm so used to RDR and Max Payne. I just assumed GTA5 would be exactly the same so I wasn't really let down when I found out it was.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

I played the whole game in Free Aim and had no problems at all with the shooting/aiming. I do think they should have given the players a bit more health/increase damage taken by armour but apart from that I had a blast.

Top Bottom