• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

plc268

What the hell? :( It's almost like R* forgot to finish the rewards part of this game..ugh

Yea, and I don't get this. There's this big deal about GTA5's economy, yet the only real money you earn comes in chunks throughout the story. In between those chunks you get next to nothing.

I'm not sure why they have no rewards for the side stuff. The reason why you do those things, generally, is for the rewards.

Chris R

Oh man, missions have grades now? Ugh got to replay them a bunch then. Is there an easy way to restart a mission when you are replaying it? Didn't see a way to do it other than reloading my save and selecting the mission again.

Going to take some time to get used to the driving controls and the fact that you die quick! Had fun driving up the mountain though and then biking off.

AeroGod

Has anyone tried to affect the stock market by sabotaging a rival company? Does this mechanic work or not?

I invested 15 million in Air Emu and went on a rampage at the air field to destroy everything Fly US for a good 30-45 minutes. Air Emu stock stayed the same most of the time except for the end where it took a nose dive and I lost 150k.

Evidence gathered by the community seems to indicate that it does indeed change the stock market values, however not 100% of the time and not always the way you would expect. The best way Ive found is to wait for a stock to tank and then buy it because it will eventually go back up after a short while and it never hits 0%, rather then trying to play against each others rivals.

The best way to make money is to save the assassination missions until after you complete the main game and have millions of dollars saving up and working with that. Should be enough to get you money to buy everything.

You guys can argue with me on this one, but while the world is huge and it looks beautiful. There really isn't a whole lot to do. I mean, I know there are alot of activities to do and such, but none of them really make me want to replay them again. I'm finished with the story mode and I just find myself bored with the game now.

Hopefully the online aspect can fix this

I'm with you in some respects. This game is begging for repeatable activities of the type you see in, say, Assassin's Creed (though not as mundane). Gang turf warfare like was in SA, a list of cars to steal for money, more abundant and varied store robberies, things like that rather than hidden package type of things. It's a well-realized world that deserves to have more criminal activities within.

Oh man, missions have grades now? Ugh got to replay them a bunch then. Is there an easy way to restart a mission when you are replaying it? Didn't see a way to do it other than reloading my save and selecting the mission again.

No, and it's quite annoying, since if you restart from a checkpoint a lot of objectives get invalidated. Keep in mind that filling one objective just once counts for any future attempts, so that's nice.

Ardenyal

The stock market seems to stay stagnant until a mission affects it. Mine moves up and down a couple pennies throughout the day. People say they've been able to manipulate it but they're probably full of it.

The assassination missions definitely have an effect on the market.

sdornan

I'm with you in some respects. This game is begging for repeatable activities of the type you see in, say, Assassin's Creed (though not as mundane). Gang turf warfare like was in SA, a list of cars to steal for money, more abundant and varied store robberies, things like that rather than hidden package type of things. It's a well-realized world that deserves to have more criminal activities within.
Agreed. Just some randomized repeatable events to give you an excuse to wreck mayhem. Maybe with leaderboards.

But I guess that's what GTA Online is supposed to give us.

Bollocks

Just popped that baby in, finally ._.
Is there no more in car gps?
Not that it's particularly useful but it was a nice touch in 4.

Just so you guys know, it seems that buying stocks counts towards the spend 200 million dollars trophy. Just popped now while I was buying some shares, even though the stats screen says I've only spent 70 million.

Chris R

No, and it's quite annoying, since if you restart from a checkpoint a lot of objectives get invalidated. Keep in mind that filling one objective just once counts for any future attempts, so that's nice.
Ah OK so if there is a time limit and headshot count for a mission I can get them in different attempts for the 100%?

TEH-CJ

Banned
Can someone explain how this game looks this fucking good?

This game makes the last of us look dated in comparison and I am not even joking.

This games lighting system looks so god damn incredible. On my thx calibrated panny it looks fucking incredible.

It feels like I'm playing a ps4 game at times.

can someone explain the tech behind it?

edit: AND THAT WATER! O_O

Escaping the cops at high levels is really difficult in this. I robbed a convenience store in the middle of Los Santos, and then led police on a chase that went through most of the Eastern part of the state. Ended up taking a wrong turn and ditching my car at high speed off a cliff... Thought that would get me out of it, but then a search helicoptor finds me. Have a fire fight with the chopper and shoot it down, only to end up getting 4 stars and 3 more helicoptors. Stole a speed boat. Went on a high speed chase but the boat was too slow for the choppers. Out in the middle of nowhere grabbed one of those personal water craft. Escaped back to Los Santos and down into the LA River... when I made a wrong turn, went into a section that allowed cars, crashed into a cop car that went in front of me, flew over the hood, and was shot dead as soon as I stood up.

My plan was to take the LA River up through LA, hopefully losing the choppers. One of them did crash into a bridge overpass (it was awesome). Ultimately, I was planning to lose the choppers and then try to get up to the airfield in Sandy Shores to make an air escape. BUt in the end, I Fought the law and the law one.

All for $271.

It was awesome.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
New page:

Anyone know how to get the jet and tank to save in the hangar? Only have the option to save the tank which replaces the jet.

Just popped that baby in, finally ._.
Is there no more in car gps?
Not that it's particularly useful but it was a nice touch in 4.

There's no voice in car GPS... It was always late in IV and never really worked. Instead, you get the standard map GPS (which is much improved due to the map perspective), but also a small arrow indicator telling you what to do at each intersection, plus the total distance to your target. It works well.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Haha damnit while I was typing that, my helicopter must have accidentally drifted into restricted air space. Jet came by and blew me up

Dead Man

There's no voice in car GPS... It was always late in IV and never really worked. Instead, you get the standard map GPS (which is much improved due to the map perspective), but also a small arrow indicator telling you what to do at each intersection, plus the total distance to your target. It works well.

What? I haven't noticed this, I'll have to pay more attention.

Alright, serious question: How long until I get to kill Jimmy? I've been playing for ten minutes and the little bastard is already the most annoying character I've come across in recent memory...

Do a mission that takes 10 minutes: get $400

Die doing something silly afterwards in free roam: costs $800

This game is so irritating sometimes.

Lima

Lol so you can fuck a prostitute multiple times and each time it takes longer for your character to cum. That attention to detail.

border

Robbing a store with all 3 characters and then having a massive shootout with the cops is awesome.

Damn, I played through the whole thing and never even though about getting all 3 characters together in Free Roam mode for some mayhem. How well does that work? Will the other main NPC do a good job of helping you out when they are AI controlled? Will they get into the same car that you do during a getaway?

AugustBlade

Neo Member
For all the hype surrounding the heists and all the reviewer praise I'm a bit underwhelmed with that aspect of the game so far.
The heists reminded me of the one in the movie Heat, and that made it really thrilling to play in the game. I suggest if you haven't seen Heat, rent it ;)

Lima

Damn, I played through the whole thing and never even though about getting all 3 characters together in Free Roam mode for some mayhem. How well does that work? Will the other main NPC do a good job of helping you out when they are AI controlled? Will they get into the same car that you do during a getaway?

Give them a call and ask them to hang out. Then you can rob stores and yes they will always enter the same car you enter.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/09/baton_rouge_police_auburn_fan.html

Baton Rouge Police: 'Auburn fan' steals truck, kidnaps woman, hits 9 cars, cites 'Grand Theft Auto'

Zachary Burgess (East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office via NBC 33)
WVLA NBC 33 is reporting an Auburn fan was arrested in Baton Rouge Friday night and charged with theft of a motor vehicle, kidnapping and nine counts of hit and run. He then allegedly told an officer that he "wanted to see what it was really like to play the video game Grand Theft Auto."

According to WVLA NBC 33, Zachary Burgess of Hoover was arrested around 2:30 a.m. Saturday morning when officers with the Baton Rouge Police Department responded to a stolen vehicle and erratic driving.

Burgess, who NBC 33 reports is a member of the Auburn lacrosse team, was released Sunday after posting the $80,000 bond.

According to the report, the owner of a truck parked, left it running with a female still inside. Witnesses said in the police report Burgess then tried to steal the truck.

"When he tried to flee the parking lot there were several cars blocking the way," Cpl. Don Coppola of the Baton Rouge Police Department told WVLA. "He began ramming into the parked cars."

Burgess allegedly struck nine vehicles.

During questioning Burgess allegedly told an officer that he "wanted to see what it was really like to play the video game Grand Theft Auto."

This could be a topic starter :lol

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Give them a call and ask them to hang out. Then you can rob stores and yes they will always enter the same car you enter.

Ooooh, you mean you can call both Franklin and Trevor (or whoever depending on who you're playing as) and hang out at the same time ? That's class if so.

Man I knew something was wrong. It's like the matrix. I saw 30 of 1 type of SUV. Bad sign.

Then I did the mission for the British tourist involving stealing the golf cart. Couldn't get rid of 2 stars. It was flashing for a good 10 min lol.

Sorian

Banned
Can the parachute jumps only be done at a certain time? I've gone to three of them in the city and see no helicopter to ride up

border

During the preparation for the Union heist,
there's a mission where you have to steal that giant underground drill. How are you supposed to do it?

I felt like I basically had to cheat my way through, since there's no chance in hell of outrunning the cops in a lumbering 16-wheeler. I basically just had to abandon the truck, get out on foot, and go hide in an alleyway until the heat died down. Is there a more elegant accomplish the same goal?

Lima

Ooooh, you mean you can call both Franklin and Trevor (or whoever depending on who you're playing as) and hang out at the same time ? That's class if so.

Yes you can. In fact it is needed for an achievement. You need to be in the same car for 3 minutes at wanted level 3.

Do a mission that takes 10 minutes: get $400

Die doing something silly afterwards in free roam: costs $800

This game is so irritating sometimes.
All of yesterday's missions? No pay. All of tonight's missions? No pay.

This *is* getting a little old.

Edit: On second thought, if I had the money I'd want to use it on customizing cars and the like and thats probably not a great idea at the moment. Maybe I'll just take a breather.

Top Bottom