• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
So I just had a bizarre random encounter.

Lady at the side of the road, who had been in a car crash. Ended up finding out she was a criminal too but then she died...

Was that supposed to happen or did I fail something? Awesome nonetheless!

If you get her to her destination on time she becomes a driver you can choose during heist setups

lil smoke

Banned
I was under the impression that it was the biggest game world to date. The only other game I think could rival it would be Just Cause 2. I too would like confirmation on this though.

This doesn't touch TDU 2.

Which is an entire island in Hawaii, and oh yeah, Ibiza, pretty much street to street.

Driving somewhere in that game is pretty much as close as it gets to travelling for real imo.

Bollocks

Early Story Spoiler:
The guy in the wheelchair that gives you the backpack to rig the Lifeinvader phone.
Is that the same guy from the opening?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Early Story Spoiler:
The guy in the wheelchair that gives you the backpack to rig the Lifeinvader phone.
Is that the same guy from the opening?

Why would you want to know that yet? play the damn game and find it out yourself, jeez.

i'm very early in the story missions and i got that free stock from the kid on the bike. should i sell it soon? i've heard you shouldn't buy stocks early in the game for some reason?

Anson225

i'm at around 40% and found out that I didn't really explore the upper part of the map (besides the early Trevor missions)
I really hope the later stories will make use of that part more since there's quite of lot of content there too...

Andrew.

Banned
Ive yet to be eaten by a shark. Im actually pretty terrified of it. Its really pretty frightening being far out in that ocean alone in the water under the moonlight. I tried last night but I couldn’t handle it.

Its probably less scary during the day time, but still. It really freaks me out.

at the time, probably. But they were more heralded for inventing 3d open worlds. Anyone not wearing a pear of rose-tinted glasses know those games arent fantastic, but rather blueprints of the better games that came after. And much of that has to do with sophistication of graphics and tech

OoT maybe... but mario galaxy?

Curious where GTA5 stands. it's a good game... but is there really any specific element that 'other devs can learn from it'? Can another open world dev create a similar level of world if they had the insane budget and time as GTA5 did?

Ishida

Banned
I was under the impression that it was the biggest game world to date. The only other game I think could rival it would be Just Cause 2. I too would like confirmation on this though.

As far as I know, Just Cause 2's world is way, WAY bigger.

But how about comparing this new San Andreas to, for example, Skyrim?

MYeager

I was in a fancy clothing shop with Michael. Heard gunfire outside but didn't give a fuck.
And then... one wanted star. What?? Had to flee on my bike. A cop car hit me. Wasted. Five thousand down the drain. Damn...

Question: there's some cafe called hookies or something. When i get near it with Trevor a shitload of enemies spawn and start to attack me. If i shoot them back the cops come for me. Went back there with Michael and nothing happened. What gives?

There are random guys that might pop up to attack Trevor because he's Canadian, plus the remaining Lost will cruise around and if they see Trevor they will attack him. He's not well liked.

Marleyman

Banned
Can another open world dev create a similar level of world if they had the insane budget and time as GTA5 did?

Other devs, such as Volition, have chosen not to go this route. Rockstar has earned their "insane budget" and time, that is the difference. I think Volition could take 3 years off, work on an amazing open world Saints Row, and put out a better product. It just seems like devs are pushed to get sequels out whereas Rockstar has the luxury to do what they want to do.

pringles

Was driving around randomly trying to find all the stores you can rob and putting point of interests on them, i.e. planning a future crime spree, and had some thoughts::

* There are liquor stores? I've been blind.
* There aren't enough robbable places. . Especially outside of town. They have the templates and there are plenty of gas stations and liquour stores that can't be entered so I think they should be able to make more of them possible targets.
* There are fully modeled banks that you can walk into but not rob? Shame. Hoping you can do that online, just make it an automatic 4 or 5 stars to make it risky.
* The money you get from robberies should be more random, a chance to get a couple grand atleast would be cool. Gas stations have a safe in the back room, the option to hit that as well would be neat.
* Those armored cars are too rare. If they're not making actual banks possible targets, money transports should be frequent random or timed spawns outside banks
* If it's technical limitations, I'd happily have just 1 of each clothing store and less LS Customs/Ammunations to get more places to rob.

Trying not to get my hopes for Online up too much, but if just some of these things are improved for it I will never stop playing. The potential is so huge and it doesn't seem like any big changes are required for it to be realized in my eyes atleast.

Flo_Evans

To me it is not just the size of the world. They way they did the missions and side quests is fucking brilliant. It feels so natural, I will be out flying around and someone calls on my cell phone then I go meet them and a mission just kind of starts... feels totally organic. The story missions are so well integrated into the game world its never like I am doing a "level".

Switching characters is amazing, I didn't think I would like it, but it is handled so well. I always lol when switching to Trevor and whatever he is up too. Last night he was wearing a dress just walking around the city. One time he woke up hung over on train tracks.

EVE online :p

So what ever happen to 'san francisco' and vegas from san Andreas, or is this some split timeline thing?

Double D

Random Trevor encounter. I was coming down a mountain and saw
like 5 trucks in a circle facing each other with dying dudes scattered about. I went further down the mountain and there was a briefcase and a guy telling me if I took it I was a dead man. So I took it and left. Couple minutes later some dudes rolled up on me and tried to kill me. I took them out and that was the end of it.

Just wondering if I'll get any more insight as to what that was all about.

jambo

As far as I know, Just Cause 2's world is way, WAY bigger.

But how about comparing this new San Andreas to, for example, Skyrim?

It's about 3-4 times bigger than Skyrim.

Plus the mountains in GTA V actually feel big. You can run down the side of a mountain in Skyrim in a matter of seconds.

Ishida

Banned
EVE online :p

So what ever happen to 'san francisco' and vegas from san Andreas, or is this some split timeline thing?

Yes, it's a different "timeline". The GTA games from the PS2/XBox generation are set in their own timeline (GTA III, Liberty City Stories, Vice City, Vice City Stories, San Andreas).

The games on the current generation are a new timeline, unrelated to the previous one. That's why the cities are so different.

Dead Man

Plus the mountains in GTA V actually feel big. You can run down the side of a mountain in Skyrim in a matter of seconds.

If you could run with the speed and safety of Skyrim you could probably do the same in GTA ;)

Double D

Switched to Trevor and woke up drunk on a beach in his underwear with about 5
random guys who appeared to be passed out laying about the beach. I took out my silenced pistol and put a bullet in each of their heads.

Ishida

Banned

Wow, holy shit. Skyrim seemd gigantic to me. But you may be right, speeding through the highways of San Andreas at full speed, and keeping going and going and going through the scenery... It just blows my mind how big the map is.

Yes, it's a different "timeline". The GTA games from the PS2/XBox generation are set in their own timeline (GTA III, Liberty City Stories, Vice City, Vice City Stories, San Andreas).

The games on the current generation are a new timeline, unrelated to the previous one. That's why the cities are so different.

i still feel like there are some references that tie the 2... would be more hilarious if those 2 generations were in the same world. makes you wonder what can happen in the 10-30 year time span that could change the cities so much.

Anyone ever get a taxi to successfully come to ya up in the north? Sat outside the cult camp for 10min and no taxi showed up ;_;

This is like real life calling for a taxi...

waypoetic

Banned
Ive yet to be eaten by a shark. Im actually pretty terrified of it. Its really pretty frightening being far out in that ocean alone in the water under the moonlight. I tried last night but I couldn’t handle it.

Its probably less scary during the day time, but still. It really freaks me out.

Diving at night? YOU CRAZY? I don't leave my sail boat, nuh-uh, all i need is on that boat; my life that is.

tranciful

i still feel like there are some references that tie the 2... would be more hilarious if those 2 generations were in the same world. makes you wonder what can happen in the 10-30 year time span that could change the cities so much.

I thought I saw some
GTA:SA
characters in the
GTA:Online
trailer -- the 'keep your mouth shut' guy?

lil smoke

Banned
Wow, holy shit. Skyrim seemd gigantic to me. But you may be right, speeding through the highways of San Andreas at full speed, and keeping going and going and going through the scenery... It just blows my mind how big the map is.

Skyrim seems big, but a lot of times, you are walking 10 miles just to get around a friggin rock...

Tawpgun

OoT maybe... but mario galaxy?

Curious where GTA5 stands. it's a good game... but is there really any specific element that 'other devs can learn from it'? Can another open world dev create a similar level of world if they had the insane budget and time as GTA5 did?

GTA's greatness was in all the stuff and detail that's in the world and how everything works together so perfectly. It's the most fun sandbox ever created, save for maybe Just Cause 2 (but its combat blows)

But you're right. They had an insane budget and 5 years. However if there's anything they can take away from it, its the character switching. I think it was genius. I wish it would give you more freedom to do it during missions. There was one FIB mission in the beginning
The one where you had to extract the "informant" from the agency
That was the mission that truly demonstrated character switching. No wonder thats the one they showed when demonstrating character switching in the trailers. Probably my favorite mission of the game. Each character had a different role to play. Spoilers in case people don't want to know what you do in the mission (though it was shown extensivley in the trailers)

Michael rappels down and keeps agency men at bay with his pistol as he grabs the informant. You can either play as him or switch to Franklin if you want to do some sniping from afar. Then, once you get him into the chopper you can switch between all 3 of them. Franklin can snipe choppers out of the air, Michael can shoot from the chopper, and Trevor can fly around the city.

In what was a beautiful gaming moment, I had 2 more choppers to down but couldn't get an angle on them with Michael, so I switched to Trevor, and took a sharp turn toward Franklin on the rooftop. This turn allowed the AI michael to shoot down one of the choppers. And I continued to fly toward Franklin, giving him a straight shot, so I switched to Franklin and downed the last chopper

That moment was amazing and solidifed the character switching mechanic for me. It hasn't been used better than that (so far) later in the game. (I'm getting ready for the Union heist) the other character switches seem to be mainly, do you want to drive or gun, or, which character do you want to shoot cops with.

Gorillaz

Yea I'm not messing with that under water stuff. I trust thr rest of gaf to let us kmow about what's under water and if that rumor of a sea monster in alamo sea is true. Apparently its randomly generated

Andrew.

Banned
Diving at night? YOU CRAZY? I don't leave my sail boat, nuh-uh, all i need is on that boat; my life that is.

Im definitely crazy. I thought I would have a much better shot of finding one if I went swimming after sunset. No such luck, but man what a rush to be in that water waiting for a red dot to pop up on the mini map.

Oh god, a sea monster in the Alamo Sea? I know what Im doing tonight...

Ishida

Banned
Skyrim seems big, but a lot of times, you are walking 10 miles just to get around a friggin rock...

Hahaha, completely right! So it's true that the new San Andreas is big enough to contain the old San Andreas, Liberty City and the Red Dead Redemption world all together?

Ishida

Banned
isn't lazlo the same character as the old ones?

i swear he referenced stuff in gta4.

Some characters make cameos, Lazlow and Fernando Martinez are examples of this. But in theory they are not the same characters of the PS2/XBox era, but "counterparts" in this new universe.

I doubt it, that's like asking someone to recreate South Park. The sum is greater then the parts.

like 5 trucks in a circle facing each other with dying dudes scattered about. I went further down the mountain and there was a briefcase and a guy telling me if I took it I was a dead man. So I took it and left. Couple minutes later some dudes rolled up on me and tried to kill me. I took them out and that was the end of it.

It's just a random encounter that any character can find. It's a take off of No Country for Old Men.

Andrew.

Banned
Some characters make cameos, Lazlow and Fernando Martinez are examples of this. But in theory they are not the same characters of the PS2/XBox era, but "counterparts" in this new universe.

Where are you getting all this info? Did Houser, Humphries or Benzies actually state that this stuff is in a completely different universe?

Flo_Evans

ha I was exploring around with franklin and found a cool little cove with a sailboat in it (side note: can you actually open the sails? I could only get the motor to move me very slowly) all of the sudden I see something... a fucking shark is stalking my boat just waiting for me to dive in...

dreamfall

I just love all the beards- Trevor's being the greatest. Some crazy shit happened yesterday with a dynamic event-
a girl was being kidnapped by The Lost up in Vinewood Hills. I killed the guys trying to stuff her in the van, but got massacred on the drive out as multiple bikes pulled alongside my convertible to shoot me into oblivion.
I hope the event repeats itself!

I can't wait to get my guide out this weekend and go on a proper hunting expedition for collectibles. Always feels like a nice tourist diversion- and this world is so beautiful!

50 hours in, and still encountering pieces from the trailer. It's a lot of fun to try to imagine what I thought was to happen in a scene when analyzing trailers way back when, and now to have finally played it.

This game- god damn. Game of forever!

Grisby

Yea I'm not messing with that under water stuff. I trust thr rest of gaf to let us kmow about what's under water and if that rumor of a sea monster in alamo sea is true. Apparently its randomly generated
There's a sea monster? That would be friggin creepy.

Is there a certain way to trigger this or area on the map that it always appears at?

dreamfall

Where are you getting all this info? Did Houser, Humphries or Benzies actually state that this stuff is in a completely different universe?

There are also cameos from the IV + Episodes side characters. The awesome
UL Paper Guy- what a shady beast! During the Underwater expedition. Packie being an awesome heist go-to character, and beating up Rocco felt so satisfying as Michael.

There are probably way more- still exploring/middle of the story!

Top Bottom