• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Right now, deserved. I think I'm about 50% of the way through. A few annoyances, especially the lack of tangible rewards after specific missions... And that's a big head scratcher but not enough to take away from the game.
If you're 50% through the game and you think the game is deserved to be that high on metacritic... imagine what you'll think when you reach the better parts of the game (>70%) :D

If you're 50% through the game and you think the game is deserved to be that high on metacritic... imagine what you'll think when you reach the better parts of the game (>70%) :D

No kidding... I had worried the game dropped off, so excited to see what's next.

Also the mission recaps on the social club are really great.

I've got absolutely no problems with it being number 1. This game is probably the biggest accomplishment this industry has ever seen.

The more I play it the more I love it. It's my GOTY and maybe even my GOTG. Hell it's one of the best games ever created to be blunt.

Marleyman

Banned
I've got absolutely no problems with it being number 1. This game is probably the biggest accomplishment this industry has ever seen.

The more I play it the more I love it. It's my GOTY and maybe even my GOTG. Hell it's one of the best games ever created to be blunt.

1049.gif

game probably has one of the most realized worlds in gaming ever... but i'm iffy with it being the highest rating game when the core shooting gameplay is 'ok' at best. I've gotten quite good at driving so thats not an issue, but as soon as gunplay is required, i groan a teeenie bit.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As much as I've enjoyed the little I've played (stiiiiiiiiiill waiting for that PC release), it does cement my belief that Rockstar's vision of how to make open world sandbox games is different from what I really like doing in them. And I don't mean that in a "this is right, this is wrong" way, but more just in the style. Rockstar really go for scale and density, and this shows in GTAV. They've poured all their resources into making a fucking gigantic monolith of an open world with a ludicrous amount of detail and activities, and have executed the whole scenario very well.

But I guess, end of the day, I do prefer smaller sandboxes if that means the core mechanics will be more refined and varied. This is largely why I loved Sleeping Dogs so much. The combat system wasn't a rudimentary physics based button masher. The driving introduced new mechanics, like dynamic hijack, that made it all the more fun. And I think this is something I really, really appreciate from the games I play.

I can appreciate what Rockstar accomplished, but there are other aspects of sandbox games I'd personally focus more on.

EDIT: For example, I think it's amazing the amount of customisation you can do to a car, but I just don't give a shit when it comes to my own enjoyment. I can see why people would love it, but it doesn't really enhance my play.

Guys, I've finished the game but I never did any of the bail bond missions for Maude. Have I missed out now? I could never find the first one on the map and forgot about it.

Marleyman

Banned
Guys, I've finished the game but I never did any of the bail bond missions for Maude. Have I missed out now? I could never find the first one on the map and forgot about it.

They are cool and worth it IMO but they are a pain in the ass to find. I ended up looking online for the last guys location(something I try to avoid at all costs)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What's this :eek:?

My made up name :p. In Sleeping Dogs you can hijack cars while in motion. So while speeding down the highway you can leap from your motorbike onto a moving van, climb across the side, and throw the guy out without ever having to stop. Or leap onto the roof of a nearby car. It's really, really cool.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
My made up name :p. In Sleeping Dogs you can hijack cars while in motion. So while speeding down the highway you can leap from your motorbike onto a moving van, climb across the side, and throw the guy out without ever having to stop. Or leap onto the roof of a nearby car. It's really, really cool.
That sounds crazy, but how would that work in a "realistic" game like GTA? Jumping from one car to another without stopping sounds insane.

Omni

10 missions or so to go. Invested soo much time into this game.

I has a question though. Is there a way to steal a jet without immediately being shot down? I've stormed the place in an armoured car, even went all stealthy and parachuted down (not that it changed anything, :lol), butI just get shot down by missiles as I try to fly away.

They are cool and worth it IMO but they are a pain in the ass to find. I ended up looking online for the last guys location(something I try to avoid at all costs)

So they're not marked on the map? Do you know if there's a time limit on them? Because I don't even have her email with the details anymore.

Marleyman

Banned

Eh, I like that GTA doesn't do this. I couldn't see Franklin or Michael even trying this; Trevor maybe.

Marleyman

Banned
So they're not marked on the map? Do you know if there's a time limit on them? Because I don't even have her email with the details anymore.

They are not marked on the map and there is no time limit that I know of. She sends you the vaguest picture possible, which you have to search all over the place for it. I found the first three without help but the 4th I just couldn't find.

Andrew.

Banned
Being able to listen to the musical score while Im working is a gift from the gods. Now Im just trying to figure out when a lot of these tracks take place...

don't think eatchildren's point is that gta needs super car jacking :p

It could use some more usability gameplay changes that doesn't break the world dynamics though.

I don't get why GTA5 doesn't have sleeping dogs's slowmo when aiming while driving and shooting. Make it optional or w/e, but shooting while driving has always been more frustrating than 'challenging' in open world games until sleeping dogs.

Andrew.

Banned
They are not marked on the map and there is no time limit that I know of. She sends you the vaguest picture possible, which you have to search all over the place for it. I found the first three without help but the 4th I just couldn't find.

The 4th was the easiest to find for me. He's in a hobo camp a little ways north of Mt Chiliad right off the main road.

Thanks. Gonna get to them now. And sorry Andrew., I missed your reply. Thanks too.

Derrick01

Banned
So GTA V is the higest rated game on Metacritic now. Beating Super Mario Galaxy and tieing with GTAIV.

Deserved?

I don't think so. It's still a 8.5/10 for me, 7/10 if micro transactions happen.

Does any game deserve a 98-99 on a place that averages 60-100 different reviewers, people who are paid to be critical?

It certainly deserves it more than Mario Galaxy and GTA IV though. I'll say that much.

chidrock

Can anyone tell me how I can unlock Michael's car in the Los Santos Customs iFruit app? I have him open in the game and have saved a car in his garage at his house, but I still can't customize it in the app.

kris.

Banned
don't think eatchildren's point is that gta needs super car jacking :p

It could use some more usability gameplay changes that doesn't break the world dynamics though.

I don't get why GTA5 doesn't have sleeping dogs's slowmo when aiming while driving and shooting. Make it optional or w/e, but shooting while driving has always been more frustrating than 'challenging' in open world games until sleeping dogs.

It's very, very slightly possibly because
GTA isn't Sleeping Dogs.

JoshHood

Can anyone tell me how I can unlock Michael's car in the Los Santos Customs iFruit app? I have him open in the game and have saved a car in his garage at his house, but I still can't customize it in the app.

God knows. My iFruit app regularly switches between all three of them being unlocked back to just Franklin. It's just one of the many issues with that app!

Yager

Banned
I also think the game should give the player more rewards for completing side missions. Damn, take a look a Saints Row, you get rewarded constantly for almost everything you do. Anyway, I never really liked GTAs, but this one...this game is great. Worth every single € I paid for it.

As much as I've enjoyed the little I've played (stiiiiiiiiiill waiting for that PC release), it does cement my belief that Rockstar's vision of how to make open world sandbox games is different from what I really like doing in them. And I don't mean that in a "this is right, this is wrong" way, but more just in the style. Rockstar really go for scale and density, and this shows in GTAV. They've poured all their resources into making a fucking gigantic monolith of an open world with a ludicrous amount of detail and activities, and have executed the whole scenario very well.

But I guess, end of the day, I do prefer smaller sandboxes if that means the core mechanics will be more refined and varied. This is largely why I loved Sleeping Dogs so much. The combat system wasn't a rudimentary physics based button masher. The driving introduced new mechanics, like dynamic hijack, that made it all the more fun. And I think this is something I really, really appreciate from the games I play.

I can appreciate what Rockstar accomplished, but there are other aspects of sandbox games I'd personally focus more on.

EDIT: For example, I think it's amazing the amount of customisation you can do to a car, but I just don't give a shit when it comes to my own enjoyment. I can see why people would love it, but it doesn't really enhance my play.

Opinions and all that but your reasons for enjoying SD is the exact reason I haven't finished it yet. I felt so limited in what I was able to do and see. I still think it's a great game and will finish it down the road sometime (I routinely stop in the middle of games and finish them months later ... it's weird) but a lot of the missions and stuff didn't have the variety. I loved the voice acting (some of the best IMO) and story and the combat was fun (I didn't enjoy it being more brawler heavy than shooter) but I couldn't help but feel the city itself was very limited in activities.

That's the difference (and I think I've said this before in this thread) with GTA and Rockstar games in general, I feel I'm living in a city, if you removed me the world would still continue. With SD (and SR too) I feel those cities are created for me, like a Truman show type of thing. It's hard to explain but it was strong in SD.

Andrew.

Banned
it doesn't have to be. it's just odd that there is zero aim assist while driving when the game has the most aggressive lock on in a shooter by default ;)

I love the driving/shooting mechanics simply because its easy for me to accept the fact that its probably tough as hell to accurately shoot something when youre in a vehicle moving at high speeds. On that note, its pretty easy to take out cars as long as you're right behind them and cut loose on the trigger. Different strokes for different folks obviously, but I just dont have issues with it much like the heli controls.

I also think the game should give the player more rewards for completing side missions. Damn, take a look a Saints Row, you get rewarded constantly for almost everything you do. Anyway, I never really liked GTAs, but this one...this game is great. Worth every single € I paid for it.

side missions? You rarely ever get any reward from story missions T_T

i don't think i've gotten any money from a story mission since the first heist. Hope i get a payday soon. Just did the mission with the
funny animal masks

GlamFM

Banned

The only sidemission "string" I have completed was Trevors Hanger and it gave me

A parachute in every aircraft and Helicopter in the game
- cool.

I´m also pretty sure you get discounts for completing gun challenges and races.

lil smoke

Banned
LOL

When next gen offers up a GTA that rips off Elder Scrolls or Fallout's item scavenging, it will be worthy of O's blessing.

For now, I can't give it best ever, because its not satisfying that /travel across the map, looking in old building, kill baddies, find amazing items that I can use/ itch.

I'm really really enjoying the game, but it really bothers me that some missions you do you don't receive any money at all for some bs arbitrary reason. I find it amusing that Trevor is presented to you as this really crazy violent do-his-own-thing-answers-to-no-one kind of guy and at some missions he just do whatever is asked of him (most of FIB missions) like an obedient dog.

Really liked the part where he
kidnaps Martin Mandrazo's wife tho

I did not finish the game yet, last mission I did was
going after the remaining of the O'Neil brothers
, but I feel like I'm not making enough money for the amount of work I have in the game.

sleeping dogs for me, i enjoyed the core gameplay more, and the story stuff, didn't really bother with much side stuff outside of the cameras and statues.

GTA5, its more of the opposite for me. having my fun just being engrossed in the world, but groan everytime when i have to shootout with a billion guys or when i have to evade the police in a god damn garbage truck.

So I just finished the mission
"Gangsta Safari" where Trevor heads over to Franklin's house and meets his aunt and Lamar.

Funniest cutscene I've ever seen in a video game.

Tawpgun

The game deserves its praise because of how amazingly polished it is for a game that size (take notes, Bethesda)

It looks amazing, plays amazing, and has a crazy amount of content thats completley fleshed out as well. The attention to detail makes this feel like a real world.

The story is ok. Hardly one of the great crime thrillers. But the story is still very solid and enjoyable, and then you tack on a world and gameplay scenarios that are just FUN. Pure FUN.

The Last of Us was an incredible accomplishment in storytelling in a video game.

But I think GTAV is by far the most pure fun I've had in a game in an incredibly long time.

Andrew.

Banned
I'm really really enjoying the game, but it really bothers me that some missions you do you don't receive any money at all for some bs arbitrary reason.

I eventually grew to appreciate the lack of funds. It keeps the game grounded in more of a true reality. The only way you can really make some money besides
the couple heists
is either by robbing a convienience store, playing the stock market or by running into some random events. I much prefer it this way over some arbitrary "Take Jimmy to Burger Shot/ Reward: $500" mission that feels like it wouldnt make much sense in the context of the world that has been created.

Yager

Banned
The only sidemission "string" I have completed was Trevors Hanger and it gave me

side missions? You rarely ever get any reward from story missions T_T

This is what I'm talking about. I'm not referring only to side missions, but also story ones. I mean, I like the story, characters and everything else that has the game and it's what keeps me coming back (something most of games can't achieve), but at the same time sometimes I feel that I gain nothing by doing certain tasks.

Top Bottom