• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Ataraxia

game probably has one of the most realized worlds in gaming ever... but i'm iffy with it being the highest rating game when the core shooting gameplay is 'ok' at best. I've gotten quite good at driving so thats not an issue, but as soon as gunplay is required, i groan a teeenie bit.

The shooting mechanics can be difficult at times, especially while driving but that doesn't make a game "worse" in my opinion. Shooting cum driving should be hard even for the most skilled players.

Stat!

I've got absolutely no problems with it being number 1. This game is probably the biggest accomplishment this industry has ever seen.

The more I play it the more I love it. It's my GOTY and maybe even my GOTG. Hell it's one of the best games ever created to be blunt.

I completely agree. The breadth of this game is astounding. Yeah - Ocarina of Time or Super Mario Galaxy were great games, but the things GTAV accomplishes are in another class.

I don't believe in a golden age of gaming - we have more tech and better design skills so our "golden age" are always occurring and I think people get to hung over nostalgia when it comes to their favourite games.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
m9S4xVm.jpg

554.gif

Marleyman

Banned
I eventually grew to appreciate the lack of funds. It keeps the game grounded in more of a true reality. The only way you can really make some money besides
the couple heists
is either by robbing a convienience store, playing the stock market or by running into some random events. I much prefer it this way over some arbitrary "Take Jimmy to Burger Shot/ Reward: $500" mission that feels like it wouldnt make much sense in the context of the world that has been created.

Agreed; I always feel like I have enough money for what I want to do, sans buying property.

10 missions or so to go. Invested soo much time into this game.

I has a question though. Is there a way to steal a jet without immediately being shot down? I've stormed the place in an armoured car, even went all stealthy and parachuted down (not that it changed anything, :lol), butI just get shot down by missiles as I try to fly away.

No crazy tricks here -- just be a badass and get out of there fast. Pull back all the way and get the jet off the ground as soon as possible, then get out of the base's airspace and get low. I've found it surprisingly easy to lose those stars once you're in the sky.

chidrock

There was an Update today, haven´t downloaded it yet.

Maybe it helps?

Downloading it now...says it addresses connectivity issues.

Well, it's still only showing Franklin as unlocked. It would be cool if you could just sync them manually somehow.

Alpende

Haha, I was going to Trevor's house with Franklin and he was throwing grenades in his front lawn while drunk.

So, I switched to Trevor and followed Franklin around a bit until he got mad and knocked me out.

Andrew.

Banned
Agreed; I always feel like I have enough money for what I want to do, sans buying property.

I was only ever really broke at one point and that was with Michael, thanks to the Epsilon Program. Those fuckers drained me.

I made it all back and then some though XD

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
you can jack someone else's car while in a car driving.

It's like that psp game that no one played, pursuit force :(

My man!

Noone else ever seems to give a shit about Pursuit Force. I loved those games to bits. I also adore the incredibly underrated Wheelman which is like a console version of Pursuit Force as well, plus spinning your car round in slow mo shoot someones tyres never got old. Ooooh yeah.

So did Lazlow's character just totally change personas between games? I don't understand, it's like it's a totally different person.

?

Seems like pretty much the same Lazlow we've been hearing since VC. His character changed a bit from III to VC, but he's pretty much always played a hypersexualized loser who is constantly living in the past, convinced of his own greatness.

What? I haven't noticed this, I'll have to pay more attention.

Yep, look just below your minimap on the lower left, there is an arrow that updates depending on your next action. If it's "Straight" "slight left" "hard right," etc. Not that useful but good for planning what's next, especially on a long straight away.

The shooting mechanics can be difficult at times, especially while driving but that doesn't make a game "worse" in my opinion. Shooting cum driving should be hard even for the most skilled players.

not sure what that means or what that's suppose to mean lol. I guess it doesn't matter too much, don't think ive had to shoot while driving much in this besides 1 or 2 missions and taking out random thieves.

I'm still iffy comparing this with stuff like OoT and Galaxy. I know R* is a talented studio, but i feel like all the good stuff i enjoy about GTA5 isn't related to talented developers but more due to massive budget and time. I guess being able to get this kind of game out on current gen is quite a feat though.

zma1013

So I modded out Trevor's truck, gave it nice wheels, new engine, etc, etc. However his truck still looks like a rusty old piece of shit. No matter what paint I choose, the rust is still all over the thing. Is there no way of making it look better or is that just how it is? Also, why can't I take modded cars through the car wash?

not sure what that means or what that's suppose to mean lol.

"Shooting with driving." I don't know why poster replaced "with" with the Latin translation "cum" given that "shooting" and "driving" aren't in Latin and "shooting cum driving" is not an idiom... Like for instance, "summa cum laude - with the highest honor."

But.. w/e.

Andrew.

Banned
Soundtrack hits the nail on the head but its missing ONE track that I was hoping would be included.

The fast paced punk sounding synth track that plays during "Mr. Phillips" while youre in the
Lost
trailer park.

Dead Man

So why can't Franklin play tennis? Have I missed an unlock somewhere?
Yep, look just below your minimap on the lower left, there is an arrow that updates depending on your next action. If it's "Straight" "slight left" "hard right," etc. Not that useful but good for planning what's next, especially on a long straight away.

I noticed that but didn't realise that is what it was, cheers :)

"Shooting with driving." I don't know why poster replaced "with" with the Latin translation "cum" given that "shooting" and "driving" aren't in Latin and "shooting cum driving" is not an idiom... Like for instance, "summa cum laude - with the highest honor."

But.. w/e.

fine fine, i get it.... its just... idk teehee.

So is there a reason not have to suppressors on all weapons? i don't think firing power lowers and you can avoid alerting the police if your lucky.

Jimrpg

As much as I've enjoyed the little I've played (stiiiiiiiiiill waiting for that PC release), it does cement my belief that Rockstar's vision of how to make open world sandbox games is different from what I really like doing in them. And I don't mean that in a "this is right, this is wrong" way, but more just in the style. Rockstar really go for scale and density, and this shows in GTAV. They've poured all their resources into making a fucking gigantic monolith of an open world with a ludicrous amount of detail and activities, and have executed the whole scenario very well.

But I guess, end of the day, I do prefer smaller sandboxes if that means the core mechanics will be more refined and varied. This is largely why I loved Sleeping Dogs so much. The combat system wasn't a rudimentary physics based button masher. The driving introduced new mechanics, like dynamic hijack, that made it all the more fun. And I think this is something I really, really appreciate from the games I play.

I can appreciate what Rockstar accomplished, but there are other aspects of sandbox games I'd personally focus more on.

EDIT: For example, I think it's amazing the amount of customisation you can do to a car, but I just don't give a shit when it comes to my own enjoyment. I can see why people would love it, but it doesn't really enhance my play.

I haven't played GTAV (although I have played the previous games), but I hear you on this. Sleeping Dogs was just so much fun, the developers weren't focused so much on making a massive world with nothing to do... they really nailed all the gameplay mechanics... the gunplay and hand to hand combat just felt great...

The trouble with alot of games these days is that they focus too much on content so they can write that as a feature on the back of the box... (im looking at you ubisoft)... but games where they add content that don't add anything to the gameplay mechanics or vary the way you play the game is very frustrating. I see why they do it... they have HUGE AAA teams with about 500 people... so they go with something basic in terms of gameplay, but then get 500 people to create content... in the end the game is just not fun. Not saying GTA V does this as I haven't played it - just a general statement on a lot of AAA games...

No crazy tricks here -- just be a badass and get out of there fast. Pull back all the way and get the jet off the ground as soon as possible, then get out of the base's airspace and get low. I've found it surprisingly easy to lose those stars once you're in the sky.

I did it first try. Heli'd far up over the ocean. Parachuted in and landed at least a 20 second run to the hangar away. Got the stars and didn't see any cops until I was in the plane. I tried to shoot a couple of missiles from the hip and had no idea what I was doing. So I hit the throttle pulled up and flew around. I flew high and never saw a missile or any resistance. Even with 5 stars. I was confused but pleased. Hardest part was landing that fucking thing.

Artadius

Do we have (or will have) a separate OT for GTA Online?

We're a week out and I just feel like I want some more information on it. Or do we still not really know much about it yet?

DjRoomba

Banned
I completely agree. The breadth of this game is astounding. Yeah - Ocarina of Time or Super Mario Galaxy were great games, but the things GTAV accomplishes are in another class.

I don't believe in a golden age of gaming - we have more tech and better design skills so our "golden age" are always occurring and I think people get to hung over nostalgia when it comes to their favourite games.

Very true as often with video games, unlike any other medium, quality is tied to sophistication of graphics and technology.

AkuMifune

Banned
I just finished the Yoga mission. Started of really slow and boring but holy fucking shit lol.
Spacing out and flying through the city is one of the best moments of the game! Jeez, the smile on my face...!

Late catching up on this thread, but this is where I'm at and holy shit. There are moments R* can still surprise me. Love this game so much.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Do we have (or will have) a separate OT for GTA Online?

We're a week out and I just feel like I want some more information on it. Or do we still not really know much about it yet?

Yea, Alienous is supposed to be doing it. But he's banned.

void666

Banned
I was in a fancy clothing shop with Michael. Heard gunfire outside but didn't give a fuck.
And then... one wanted star. What?? Had to flee on my bike. A cop car hit me. Wasted. Five thousand down the drain. Damn...

Question: there's some cafe called hookies or something. When i get near it with Trevor a shitload of enemies spawn and start to attack me. If i shoot them back the cops come for me. Went back there with Michael and nothing happened. What gives?

Andrew.

Banned
Question: there's some cafe called hookies or something. When i get near it with Trevor a shitload of enemies spawn and start to attack me. If i shoot them back the cops come for me. Went back there with Michael and nothing happened. What gives?

Those diner folk dont care much for Canadian proto hipsters.

I was in a fancy clothing shop with Michael. Heard gunfire outside but didn't give a fuck.
And then... one wanted star. What?? Had to flee on my bike. A cop car hit me. Wasted. Five thousand down the drain. Damn...

Do you seriously give fuck about a lost five thousand?

Tawpgun

were OoT and mario galaxy praised mainly for graphics and tech though?

OoT and Mario 64 were I believe. Dat 3D open world at the time.

Galaxy was something fresh, but not necessarily new. It was like a sequel to 64.

Kind of like GTA V.

The difference is the scope of the game.I know I'm having more fun, and will continue to have more fun in GTA than in Galaxy.

lil smoke

Banned
So I modded out Trevor's truck, gave it nice wheels, new engine, etc, etc. However his truck still looks like a rusty old piece of shit. No matter what paint I choose, the rust is still all over the thing. Is there no way of making it look better or is that just how it is? Also, why can't I take modded cars through the car wash?
haha I know. Even the chrome finish has the rust.

I love that truck though, dunno why. Seems to weave thru traffic quite steadily.

My question is why can't we mod cabs? Make it meaningful to actually roleplay as a cab driver! I think SR did this once... or was it GTA SA

Joeki11a

Banned
My man!

Noone else ever seems to give a shit about Pursuit Force. I loved those games to bits. I also adore the incredibly underrated Wheelman which is like a console version of Pursuit Force as well, plus spinning your car round in slow mo shoot someones tyres never got old. Ooooh yeah.

Play Sleeping Dogs it has that

DjRoomba

Banned
were OoT and mario galaxy praised mainly for graphics and tech though?

at the time, probably. But they were more heralded for inventing 3d open worlds. Anyone not wearing a pear of rose-tinted glasses know those games arent fantastic, but rather blueprints of the better games that came after. And much of that has to do with sophistication of graphics and tech

I eventually grew to appreciate the lack of funds. It keeps the game grounded in more of a true reality. The only way you can really make some money besides
the couple heists
is either by robbing a convienience store, playing the stock market or by running into some random events. I much prefer it this way over some arbitrary "Take Jimmy to Burger Shot/ Reward: $500" mission that feels like it wouldnt make much sense in the context of the world that has been created.

You are probably right as it makes sense. I guess I'm a little used to being reward-spoiled in most recent games.

Joeki11a

Banned
Was one of my favourite games last year :) Absolutely adored it.

I think Trevor should had been allowed to do the stealing cars stuff you like, Franklyn needed to have Sleeping Dogs fighting skills
Michael jump dodging ala max payne.

Rockstar really didnt think of how to make each of these characters really different from each other.

Do I need to sign into the social club while in the game somehow?

BAWSAQ always says it's down for maintenance or something and I keep reading on here that it's tied to the social club. I have a social club account and it's giving me my stats yet BAWSAQ is always down. What gives?

Tiny moment towards the end that I loved, late game-ish spoilers
Franklyn climbing carefully around the transport truck and releasing the Agent car. Matter of fact the entire conversation before that between Lamar and Trevor was amazing too. Great mission.

Ishida

Banned
So just how big is the map for this game compared to other maps? I know it's bigger than Liberty City and the old San Andreas put together, but what about other game worlds?

So I just had a bizarre random encounter.

Lady at the side of the road, who had been in a car crash. Ended up finding out she was a criminal too but then she died...

Was that supposed to happen or did I fail something? Awesome nonetheless!

BossLackey

Gold Member
So just how big is the map for this game compared to other maps? I know it's bigger than Liberty City and the old San Andreas put together, but what about other game worlds?

I was under the impression that it was the biggest game world to date. The only other game I think could rival it would be Just Cause 2. I too would like confirmation on this though.

Top Bottom