• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

This game is fucking awesome. I love trevor. Just the way he feeds of weak mental persons is funny and I love the dialogue between franklin and Lamar.

I would rate the game a 9/10. It's my GOTY but there are a few things I would like to see different:
- More animals in the town. I almost see nobody walking around with their dog
- Horse riding
- Bears
- Police chases between NPCs with just more than 1 car chasing the crook. Also when I help the police I do not want a wanted level.
- Shorter evading time for 1-2 star wanted level.
- Actual 'be a cop' mode
- Riot cheat and never wanted cheat.

Shawsie64

Banned
GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE

I'm taking it real slow see, well I decided to drive a nondescript black SUV through the gates of the military base in the desert. Was not expecting instant 4 stars, panicked and stole the first Fighter Jet I saw, now I'm pretty good at ace combat, beaten all of them on Ace and what not BUT THESE MISSILES DON'T DROP LOCK THEY JUST DON'T HOLY HELL. It was like the missiles were single minded organisms and all they were biologically programmed to do was fuck me into pieces. Took a heavy hit quickly and I thought it was all over but my plane stabilized (some how, I was doing this as Franklin who doesn't know anything about planes) I managed to dodge the next 3 missiles by flying low and pulling up last moment, all the mean while I was tying to figure out how to fire missiles back or see if this thing had chaff or anything.

Eventually I figured out how to select missiles so I looped back and fired off two at the chopper tailing me and he blows up, I was celebrating and got careless and took a second missile in the asshole. At this point I decided I had to get the hell out of here if I wanted to enjoy this fighter at all so I started flying low towards the shoreline hoping I could maybe get out of radar range
like in that one mission as trevor
, Well just as I was approaching the end of the danger zone feeling top gun as shit, my engines cut out and my plane is covered in smoke, I am not about to bail out because I am convinced the game will rule this as fall damage so I try and emergency land the plane in the water.

I'm splash down the impact rips off both my wings and ejects poor Franklin 20 feet forward and splashing into the water. As I reach the surface gasping for air surrounded by twisted metal, smoke, and fire I see the contrails of a missile in the distance heading towards me. In the slowest 2 seconds of Franklins life the missile impacts with the fighter wreckage and the intense heat of the explosion liquifies poor Franklin.

Then he wakes up, back in Los Santos General...was it all a dream?

By the way Franklins slo mo driving doesn't work with planes, also you can use slo mo driving as bullet time if you're in a car and doing a drive by.

Man making me pumped to play when I get home from work!

JLG-

Holy shit.. How do you lose the cops? I'm at the part where
you have to steal that LSPD Tactical car
and i can't shake the damn cops.

ironcreed

Banned
One of the greatest characters to ever grace a game:

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

Some of the random encounters in this game are amazing.
In these pics, I picked up a guy wearing pink panties tied to a telephone pole on the side of the road. He got wasted at his bachelor party, screwed a midget stripper and his best friend left him out there all night. It ended up being my job to get him to his wedding on time, lol.

I'm about twenty hours in, and my only real gripe with the controls is the way the game decides when I'm allowed to be in run and gun mode. I want to be in full control over my character, and whatever criteria the game uses to decide whether or not I'm allowed to run around freely in combat isn't predictable enough. It seems like it won't do it when you're indoors, which means you have to play the awful GTA IV game of jogging a bit, moving the camera, jogging a bit, moving the camera. When you're out in the open it usually works, but the aiming reticle disappears too quickly so you have to waste ammo to bring it back out again. This could all have been solved if they hadn't stuck so doggedly to their stupid 'walking speed only' controls. Ugh.

Also, is there no shoulder switch mechanic? I've pressed all the buttons I can think of and I can't find it. Seems like a bit oversight.

wizzbang

Banned
By the way the Michael mission where you take Jimmy
to the fast food place and he slips you LSD

then the choice of music and that scene? Seriously? SERIOUSLY?????????? Rockstar fuck wow, that was incredible, incredible. This game has SO MANY awesome scenes - it's mind blowing.

I loved the way Trevor spoke to Franklin
s aunt the first time he met her and what he said
I laughed out loud, fucking awesome
So good, just so good.

MercuryLS

Banned
The missions in this game are so great. Love planning out executing elaborate heists. The character switching during missions is a stroke of brilliance. You're always doing something interesting in missions.

GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE

I'm taking it real slow see, well I decided to drive a nondescript black SUV through the gates of the military base in the desert. Was not expecting instant 4 stars, panicked and stole the first Fighter Jet I saw, now I'm pretty good at ace combat, beaten all of them on Ace and what not BUT THESE MISSILES DON'T DROP LOCK THEY JUST DON'T HOLY HELL. It was like the missiles were single minded organisms and all they were biologically programmed to do was fuck me into pieces. Took a heavy hit quickly and I thought it was all over but my plane stabilized (some how, I was doing this as Franklin who doesn't know anything about planes) I managed to dodge the next 3 missiles by flying low and pulling up last moment, all the mean while I was tying to figure out how to fire missiles back or see if this thing had chaff or anything.

Eventually I figured out how to select missiles so I looped back and fired off two at the chopper tailing me and he blows up, I was celebrating and got careless and took a second missile in the asshole. At this point I decided I had to get the hell out of here if I wanted to enjoy this fighter at all so I started flying low towards the shoreline hoping I could maybe get out of radar range
, Well just as I was approaching the end of the danger zone feeling top gun as shit, my engines cut out and my plane is covered in smoke, I am not about to bail out because I am convinced the game will rule this as fall damage so I try and emergency land the plane in the water.

I'm splash down the impact rips off both my wings and ejects poor Franklin 20 feet forward and splashing into the water. As I reach the surface gasping for air surrounded by twisted metal, smoke, and fire I see the contrails of a missile in the distance heading towards me. In the slowest 2 seconds of Franklins life the missile impacts with the fighter wreckage and the intense heat of the explosion liquifies poor Franklin.

By the way Franklins slo mo driving doesn't work with planes, also you can use slo mo driving as bullet time if you're in a car and doing a drive by.
Posts like these make me want to cough up the dough that I don't have so I can play this immediately.

Depends how much $20 is to you and your budget. I went for it because the blueprint I'll probably have framed and put in a game room one day because this game is culmination of a lot of my favorite games.

The steelbook is amazing, looks badass.

20% and some weapons for free is pretty awesome for the beginning of the game as well as 25% faster recharge on special is nice (I use the driving one a lot because it just looks cool).

I'm not a purist, I play games on easy so the bonus weapons and recharge are a plus to me, but depending on your gaming style you may or may not appreciate them.

Blimp comes with everything I think.

Plus there are outfits, haircuts, and such ... but I haven't really checked them out.

And stunt plane trials/missions. But I haven't really done any of that stuff.

Thanks....will buy :D

Spazznid

So, I just switched to Franklin, and I see him with a marker and writing this on the fucking wall...

0_0.jpg

I am going to look into this some more... Too fuckin cool

Also, why is the thread title like that? Why not something witty, like, "You ain't gotta like it cause the GAF gon' Love it."

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE

Cool story, bro. More of this please, everyone!

All of these posts and pictures just make this game sound genuinely incredible. I didn't hype this or anything but I just want to go out and buy it. Everyone on my campus continues to talk about it too, almost literally everyone. I've never felt such a phenomena from a single game before.

wizzbang

Banned
All of these posts and pictures just make this game sound genuinely incredible. I didn't hype this or anything but I just want to go out and buy it. Everyone on my campus continues to talk about it too, almost literally everyone. I've never felt such a phenomena from a single game before.

I have no idea why you don't own this game, it's fucking next level man. Just buy it, now. People "holding out" for PS4 or PC, lol I'll just buy it again.
I've got 28 hours into it so far and I got 5x my moneys worth, this is the business.

ironcreed

Banned
So, I just switched to Franklin, and I see him with a marker and writing this on the fucking wall...

0_0.jpg

I am going to look into this some more... Too fuckin cool

Also, why is the thread title like that? Why not something witty, like, "You ain't gotta like it cause the GAF gon' Love it."

There are going to be some really cool Easter eggs to uncover for sure. The attention to the finest of details in this game is staggering, and there are weird little hints everywhere.

wizzbang

Banned
Does anyone have any sweet stockmarket tips? There's at least 2 obvious as hell tips because missions very nearly tie to them - but I'd love to abuse it a bit more. Anyone know how to get some big fluctuations? I want to own a golf course YO.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I noticed this is the first GTA game to not falling into the trap of making money useless in the first 5 missions.

You get one big payday and everything else is a slow, gradual build. On one hand, you can buy most the clothes you want, but there's still tons of big purchases that seem like distant dreams. Unless you're REALLY lucky on the stock stuff.

I have no idea why you don't own this game, it's fucking next level man. Just buy it, now. People "holding out" for PS4 or PC, lol I'll just buy it again.
I've got 28 hours into it so far and I got 5x my moneys worth, this is the business.

I'm relatively broke from over $730 in speeding tickets over the past year, plus a $300 laptop I needed to buy before this semester began, running off the budget of the few dollars I had in the bank combined with my $900~ paycheck gained from working at a charity camp over the summer that paid less than minimum wage off the books. I have about $25 a week that I usually spend to go out with my friends, so I don't really want to sacrifice that so I can play a game by myself, but I genuinely might because this thing looks incredible.

I might be stuck in my place this weekend anyway because of the massive amount of studying I'll be doing because of midterms so perhaps I'll be able to squeeze out $60 by the end of next week so I can buy this.

Spazznid

There are going to be some really cool Easter eggs to uncover for sure. The attention to the finest of details in this game is staggering, and there are weird little hints everywhere.

So I realised that that wall changes dynamically. Because it's a part of the mission I'm on. The cool thing is, that wall was never shown or mentioned, so if I hadn't switched from Franklin when I did, one or two of the cars might have been marked/unmarked, and I might have never even known the room existed..

I fucking love this game and I think Multiplayer will blow some people out of the water.

Sorry, Saints Row, I know you're in a different category, but this game....

I'll play with you later, Spark Plug.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Decided to ride a jetski right out on the ocean as far as I could, to see how the game would handle it. Was cool seeing the city disappear behind me and soon being out on the open sea with nothing but water in every direction, but... well, it ended badly!

For anyone who wants to know, this is what happens:
You can go pretty damn far, way off the map, but eventually the jetski slows down and then sinks. You can still swim around, but then... the sharks come. And eat you.

Oh, wow. Pro-tip: if you run into one of those events where someone's wallet/bike/car gets stolen, while I might be tempting to keep it... Return it. I just got $100k in stock for returning a bike.

Hey, I was just gonna ask about this. I've been doing the right thing and returning people's stuff, but have never been given anything in return. Was starting to think it was pointless, but it's good to hear it does pay off in the end.

ironcreed

Banned
Getting out of the city and messing around in the northern part of the map with Trevor has been so refreshing. It is so gorgeous up there and he is one of the best characters I have ever seen to boot.

Derrick01

Banned
So does that one cheating website actually work? It wants you to pay $500 but it doesn't seem to actually pull any money out and the girls you message on there don't seem to ever get back to you even though it says keep an eye on your email.

Or am I the only one really digging deep into the game's internet? lol

Decided to ride a jetski right out into the ocean to see how the game would handle it. Was cool seeing the city disappear behind me and soon being out on the open sea with nothing but water in every direction, but... well, it ended badly!

For anyone who wants to know, this is what happens:
You can go pretty damn far, way off the map, but eventually the jetski slows down and then sinks. You can still swim around, but then... the sharks come. And eat you.

Hey, I was just gonna ask about this. I've been doing the right thing and returning people's stuff, but have never been given anything in return. Was starting to think it was pointless, but it's good to hear it does pay off in the end.

Just murder them if they do not pay you.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I really wonder if you'll just be able to dick around 'solo' with your GTA online character and how much of the activities will work and how many won't. I know they've shown a bunch, but it'd be cool if it just essentially gave you another character to run around San Andreas with solo.
So does that one cheating website actually work? It wants you to pay $500 but it doesn't seem to actually pull any money out and the girls you message on there don't seem to ever get back to you even though it says keep an eye on your email.

Or am I the only one really digging deep into the game's internet? lol

I spent 5000 on the site that wants to make you a reality star and they say they'll call..
They never call.

KingKong

The radio stations are pretty crappy this time around. I like maybe a quarter of the songs. Too bad because the Vice City and San Andreas ones were basically perfect

Raptomex

Anyone else but me
find Packie as a heist crew member
?
I found him within the first ten minutes of playing
. It's awesome.
Whenever he's part of a heist he will talk about Niko and the Three Leaf Clover mission from IV
. I love it.

Jeeesus,
Johnny Klebitz got Warfed so hard
. I was not expecting that. Trevor is hilarious.
Yeah, that made me sad.
I liked Johnny

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Do you have to use the phone app to increase Chop's happiness ? Been playing with him in game, taking him with me etc, but it doesn't seem like it's going up at all.

ironcreed

Banned
The radio stations are pretty crappy this time around. I like maybe a quarter of the songs. Too bad because the Vice City and San Andreas ones were basically perfect

The music is amazing and the variety pretty much encapsulates the variety of the game in general. For instance, try going on a rampage with Trevor while listening to Rebel Radio. Fits like a glove, which is usually par for the course in this series anyway.

Aleph

I found a place near Vespucci Beach where you can walk through a wall and fall off the map, and a tunnel near Mount Chilliad where the textures won't load properly. Other than that, the game is surprisingly well polished.

Top Bottom