• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

lil smoke

Banned
I beat the story the other night and I am now having the same feeling as I did with GTA 4. That being a feeling of 'aloneness'. I never felt that way in the previous games but these past two have had such great stories that after it all ends and I'm just left to mess around with the open world I feel very alone, so much that I feel like its a bummer that people aren't calling me constantly to do stuff and I just turn the game off. I'm having a difficult time explaining the feeling. I love this game and still have cool & interesting side things I could do but I feel unmotivated to explore any of it without a story behind me. I suppose GTA games for me are now stories peppered with interesting things to do, rather than all the previous games being the other way around. Is this a common feeling?
At times I feel that way, and I'm only 30% in.

I think I am arriving at the age of not being able to create my own fun by just walking around into random situations... there is not enough in between.

I am thinking that I am more of a Skyrim kind of guy now, where I can go off anywhere, and be distracted by things that I can use later (scavenging).. to make things more fun. I can use my time constructively to build my character.

I guess when I put in this much time, if I'm walking around for 2 hours I want to have accomplished something. Even in a video game I have a sense of deliverables. Too much in GTA leads to nothing. I die and its $5000, I do other things that only net $3000.
So it's also not efficient, unless you plow thru missions. Yet, it's sort of sandbox... Something is missing for me, part of it is that I'm almost 40 years old.

rbanke

I think I am arriving at the age of not being able to create my own fun by just walking around into random situations... there is not enough in between.

I am thinking that I am more of a Skyrim kind of guy now, where I can go off anywhere, and be distracted by things that I can use later (scavenging).. to make things more fun. I can use my time constructively to build my character.

I guess when I put in this much time, if I'm walking around for 2 hours I want to have accomplished something. Even in a video game I have a sense of deliverables. Too much in GTA leads to nothing. I die and its $5000, I do other things that only net $3000.
So it's also not efficient, unless you plow thru missions. Yet, it's sort of sandbox... Something is missing for me, part of it is that I'm almost 40 years old.

I'm 36, maybe we're just old farts.

Fjordson

I beat the story the other night and I am now having the same feeling as I did with GTA 4. That being a feeling of 'aloneness'. I never felt that way in the previous games but these past two have had such great stories that after it all ends and I'm just left to mess around with the open world I feel very alone, so much that I feel like its a bummer that people aren't calling me constantly to do stuff and I just turn the game off. I'm having a difficult time explaining the feeling. I love this game and still have cool & interesting side things I could do but I feel unmotivated to explore any of it without a story behind me. I suppose GTA games for me are now stories peppered with interesting things to do, rather than all the previous games being the other way around. Is this a common feeling?
I'm not quite there, since I still like taking a drive and just doing random bullshit, but it's definitely much less of a thing for me compared to the PS2 games. Mostly about the main story missions at this point (and V is delivering big time in that regard).

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Recorded two clips last night while I was screwing around unable to connect to online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58f2wPxfFnM

This one makes me so mad because IT HAD THE POTENTIAL TO BE THE COOLEST CHASE EVER (what you don't see here is a 10 minute long car chase that started after I was shooting at deer by the highway and missed with the sniper rifle hitting and detonating a gasoline tanker, followed by me driving on the rail road tracks getting 4 stars and driving into a ditch, shooting a chopper pilot dead and watching his chopper not explode on impact)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXMKML_ayiI

This one just spooked the shit out of me.

I had an amazing chase yesterday myself as well. Got a 4 star level killing a bunch of cops and was being chased at the little clinic/hospital near Trevor's house. My car riddled with bullets I hop out on foot. I see a train coming my way and immediately run after it. There are a few train cars that are low to the ground and if you time it right and your lucky enough, you can actually climb into the train car. I was running along side it with cops at my heels and jumped on the train and they couldn't touch me. Choppers shot at me overhead but once we got into a train tunnel I lost them. Felt so badass. :D

Voidance

I fully agree with your postgame feelings. Spending an hour or so searching for parts or finding waste don't really get me excited at all.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Burnt Michael's wife up in tennis.

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

Reule

This isn't my issue but my girlfriend's progress is broken after the update. Basically she had just finished
Blitz Play
and had
Hang Ten
show up right after. She completed
Hang Ten
and then saved. So the damage was done since she only had one manual save. I realized the issue right after but as luck would have it, the missions she skipped were available still. She continued to do them but now when you're supposed to setup for the final heist,
Trevor can't enter the backrooms of the strip club
because he's not allowed in there now. Basically not allowing her to start up the mission that's available in the office.

Has there been any workarounds for mission progress issues beyond reloading a save before the mess up?

Kind of pissed off this happened since I sort of convinced her to get the game. This on top of multiplayer has been a buzzkill.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Is there a way to disable the stunt camera? I swear I fail so many stunt jumps because I can't figure out how to control my car from whatever wacky angle the camera's at.

dropbear

Banned
Question: do taxi rides ever give you a timer for getting the person to their destination?

Taxi missions used to be a favorite side activity of mine but the lack of a timer takes a lot of the fun out for me.

Guys please I have one bridge I can't seem to find to fly under. Is there any way to find it through the social club or something? I've followed a YouTube video and done them all and I still can't figure out which one im missing!! Is it a glitch or something? 49 out of 50.:(

I followed a vid too, and it seems some are a bit fiddly. If the runners so much as skim the water it won't count.

Also on the vid I followed he'd put his waypoint on the map before flying through, yet on at least one he put the marker on the wrong bridge a few cm away. Wasn't until I watched the vid more closely that I saw I was trying to go under the wrong bridge.

Dude I just did another go through of all 50 and the very last bridge I did (of course) registered and I got the 50th one. I used the buzzer because it is the smallest and made not touching any walls easiest.

50 spaceship parts & 50 letters and I'm 100% (real 100%) and then I'm going online. Hopefully by the weekend issues are resolved.

Had that issue too and also used the Buzzard to go back and find the ones I failed to get credit for, thankfully I mostly remembered the four (or at least had a good idea what ones they were) I had some issue with.

kingkitty

Concerning some stocks after the main game.
I got a message from some Merriweather guy who I thought might have hinted that the Merriweather stock was going down but it would only be "temporary." Well I put all my monies in the Merriweather stock and I'm wondering if it actually like...goes into the positive, otherwise I'll have to load an older save lol.

I'll never understand the vitriol that gets thrown at every single Rockstar release regarding writing and characterization. .
That comment was hardly vitriolic. Making a strong judgment, sure.

Simply saying "shit writing" is such a toxic and lazy assertion.
The entirety of the story is generally quite shit, which is a tragedy considering the characters are so great, but I was referring specifically to that aspect.

Michael, Trevor, Lester, and Lemar outclass every GTA character from the past.
Maybe in terms of being funny.

Dead

well not really...yet
Lmao this fucking game

The Bugatti finally spawned and I'm on my way to my garage and I've already seen several infernus on the road.

I think Skyrim may be my GOTG, but, there's a place for this in my world. Just running around a hyper-real city and....doing whatever. That's oddly freeing. I just did some extra missions and did a boat race last night because that's just what I feel into on that part of the map.

35 here, I have games I like for progression, I think after the GTA story it's basically just toybox mode.

MormaPope

Banned

Your name... it changed.

lil smoke

Banned
Question: do taxi rides ever give you a timer for getting the person to their destination?

Taxi missions used to be a favorite side activity of mine but the lack of a timer takes a lot of the fun out for me.

I've done a fair share of these, and I have not been penalized for anything yet.

Don't mind the non-timer, because it makes for a money making stress free activity. However, when the tattered rocker guy flees with my fare... well, I am over that. I hate when they run to public places.

I wish they would have more variety of destinations. After awhile, you kinda know where you're headed.

MormaPope

Banned
That comment was hardly vitriolic. Making a strong judgment, sure.

The entirety of the story is generally quite shit, which is a tragedy considering the characters are so great, but I was referring specifically to that aspect.

Maybe in terms of being funny.

What does "quite shit" mean? No overarching themes? Poor pacing? I can't assume what you're critiquing, because that'll lead to roundabout debating. As for the character comment I made, what other characters trump the ones I listed for GTA V? Once again, I need more context to actually address what you're posting.

antitrop

The Strangers and Freaks mission where Franklin talks to the dog had me absolutely rolling.

Some of the funniest lines in the game so far right there.

Weird. I've completed the game and Lester's missions, yet its telling me I've only done
68 of the 69 missions

Also missing 2 strangers and freaks with no map icons, are they extra races with Hao?

What does "quite shit" mean? No overarching themes? Poor pacing? I can't assume what you're critiquing, because that'll lead to roundabout debating. As for the character comment I made, what other characters trump the ones I listed for GTA V? Once again, I need more context to actually address what you're posting.

I'll post something more in-depth regarding my thoughts on GTA V's narrative later this week.

Clegg

Is anyone else unable to access the BAWSAQ in SP since trying online?

I really want to do these Lester missions and make some cash, but I can't because the market is always down.

Is anyone else unable to access the BAWSAQ in SP since trying online?

I really want to do these Lester missions and make some cash, but I can't because the market is always down.

lol

Moyes' influence extends beyond football, he's ruining your life in every aspect :p

Today is probably the first time BAWSAQ has worked properly for me

Muffdraul

I'm living the dream, guys. I live in LA, and ever since it was officially known that GTA V was set in Los Santos, I thought "Man, how cool would it be if my apt. building made it into the game?"

Well, I don't think it did. But I did find two buildings that are indeed from the block I live on:

0_0.jpg
2298964945_98c3d00317_z.jpg

0_0.jpg
Silver+Lake+Lounge.JPG

Sunset Blvd & Parkman Ave, bitches!

Dead

well not really...yet
Fuck...majorly fucked up the last epsilon mission...had no idea you could steal the cash. Sigh...have to reload and redo the pilgrimage...

Debasertron

Neo Member
I'm living the dream, guys. I live in LA, and ever since it was officially known that GTA V was set in Los Santos, I thought "Man, how cool would it be if my apt. building made it into the game?"

Well, I don't think it did. But I did find two buildings that are indeed from the block I live on:

0_0.jpg
2298964945_98c3d00317_z.jpg

0_0.jpg
Silver+Lake+Lounge.JPG

Sunset Blvd & Parkman Ave, bitches!

The amount of detail that rockstar puts into these games is just absolutely incredible. It never ceases to amaze me.

DarkKyo

Anyone know where to find a Banshee? I've seen one like once in my playthrough and I'd love to customize one at this point.

Megasoum

Banned
Anyone know where to find a Banshee? I've seen one like once in my playthrough and I'd love to customize one at this point.

I stole mine from the hotel parking lot just north of the golf. There's always a bunch of great cars in that lot. That's also where I got the bike for the Espilon mission.

Concerning some stocks after the main game.
I got a message from some Merriweather guy who I thought might have hinted that the Merriweather stock was going down but it would only be "temporary." Well I put all my monies in the Merriweather stock and I'm wondering if it actually like...goes into the positive, otherwise I'll have to load an older save lol.

I want to know this too, does investing in Merriweather post game a good idea?

Foffy

Banned
I have a question. Regarding the
Maude missions, I accidentally capped the first dude. Did I nix being able to do the rest of those missions?

I have a question. Regarding the
Maude missions, I accidentally capped the first dude. Did I nix being able to do the rest of those missions?
Nope. But don't do it again. She sends you a warning giving you one more shot. Not sure if this is to be taken literal or if you can kill them all. Best just to try not and kill them.

Does anyone know how to invite friends into the job lobby? They are in my same game world but I accept a job and can't get them to join me in there. I have seen other people somehow send texts out to get people to join but don't see the option.

Top Bottom