• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

I really wish I knew about the quick save thing before doing the stunt jumps.

P.S. Fuck the stunt jumps. Especially that
lighthouse
one.

I just finished the
torture scene
and I've kind of lost the thread.

Can somebody give me a quick summary up to that point?

BIG SPOILERS BELOW:

Why is Mike working with the FIB? Why was Trevor brought in to torture that guy? Who WAS that guy? Why did Mike snipe the guy he called out? Basically... what the hell is going on with the FIB sub-plot?

Another thing, why do Mike and Franklin suddenly know about Trevor's plot to steal the military weaponry? Did I miss a cutscene where T explained the plan to them?

Also, where did the idea to steal the military weaponry come from? Why did he just all of the sudden come up with that heist?

Basically the only plot I'm able to follow is Mike's family being shitty and leaving him...

Majorly sorry about this, but I'm quoting my post for the new page.

I'm not sure how I all of the sudden feel so lost. It's almost like I missed a mission.

Quick

Banned
It's been ages since I've played GTA IV, and I realized that I actually haven't finished The Lost and The Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony.

How would you guys compare difficulty between GTA IV and GTA V? I remember just using cheats since I didn't even get trophies for the original game, so it was easy. Now that I want to earn trophies, I'd rather not use cheats while going through the stories again.

So I just started
the big one
and for some reason once Franklin asked
"Whats the big one"
the cut scene just stopped and went to Michael walking to a car.

I figured out what
"the big one"
is, but is that normal or did I just hit a button on accident to end the cut scene?

Well first of all they are kinda hard to find (using a video helps a lot but it's still a pain)

Then they all have an arbitrary condition to succeed it (you have to land in a specific spot but they don't tell you where it is).

Finally you end up totally wrecking your car/bike every other jumps.

For example, the one I'm working on right now I need to jump a dirt pile and land on a bridge... If I'm a bit too much to the left or to the right I land in the water and lose my vehicle. Which means I need to go halfway accross the city to find another proper bike that will be fast enough to do another attempt.

Quicksave before you jump and just reload.

Well, got enough money off the BAWSAQ to buy the golf course on Micheal so I did and the pausing and loading up a mission or strangers and freaks mission to replay still works. Kept my money and put it right back into HAL and Pisswasser. Franklin has over 258 million now and totally pointless to have that much money. They better add more garages to SP because it's incredibly lame to have so many vehicles you can buy and not have room for them unless you remove cars you already have.

I really wish I knew about the quick save thing before doing the stunt jumps.

P.S. Fuck the stunt jumps. Especially that
lighthouse
one.

That one was ****ing awful, whomever was responsible for the stunts in this game needs to be slapped.

Majorly sorry about this, but I'm quoting my post for the new page.

I'm not sure how I all of the sudden feel so lost. It's almost like I missed a mission.

It was explained, you must have missed some a cutscene or some convos.

It's been ages since I've played GTA IV, and I realized that I actually haven't finished The Lost and The Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony.

How would you guys compare difficulty between GTA IV and GTA V? I remember just using cheats since I didn't even get trophies for the original game, so it was easy. Now that I want to earn trophies, I'd rather not use cheats while going through the stories again.

GTA V has been harder for me but that might be just because I've been using free aim while in previous GTA games I always used the locked aiming. Beyond that, you could take more damage in GTA IV and previous GTAs than you can in V.

Well first of all they are kinda hard to find (using a video helps a lot but it's still a pain)

Then they all have an arbitrary condition to succeed it (you have to land in a specific spot but they don't tell you where it is).

For example, the one I'm working on right now I need to jump a dirt pile and land on a bridge... If I'm a bit too much to the left or to the right I land in the water and lose my vehicle. Which means I need to go halfway accross the city to find another proper bike that will be fast enough to do another attempt.

Yeah, quick saved before most of them and beyond that I used one of Franklin's modded cars so they could absorb more damage and sometimes did use a motorcycle. You need to control your speed, which was for the most part my biggest issue. It's stupid to require you to land in a specific area and then have height and distance measurements. They also did a sloppy job with them, IDK why they didn't include the message if you already did the jump, all you get after doing one you already completed is a message that says "undefined" which makes it look like they forgot something.

Dead Man

Well, got enough money off the BAWSAQ to buy the golf course on Micheal so I did and the pausing and loading up a mission or strangers and freaks mission to replay still works. Kept my money and put it right back into HAL and Pisswasser. Franklin has over 258 million now and totally pointless to have that much money. They better add more garages to SP because it's incredibly lame to have so many vehicles you can buy and not have room for them unless you remove cars you already have.
Yeah, lack of garage space is ridiculous.

Yeah, quick saved before most of them and beyond that I used one of Franklin's modded cars so they could absorb more damage and sometimes did use a motorcycle. You need to control your speed, which was for the most part my biggest issue. It's stupid to require you to land in a specific area and then have height and distance measurements. They also did a sloppy job with them, IDK why they didn't include the message if you already did the jump, all you get after doing one you already completed is a message that says "undefined" which makes it look like they forgot something.
Be nice to get that on bridges too.

Just beat it -- amazing.
Option C here

Can we see the end-game credits once done? They're beautiful.

Easily GotY for me. Hard to say where it stacks up for me GTA-wise. Clearly the most beautiful, almost certainly the best world, and pretty darn forgiving with mission checkpoints and such.
Heists
were really neat. Last-gen GTA has a special place for me, though, mind-blowing at the time and hard to separate from the nostalgia I have for them. This definitely tops IV & EfLC.

Game of the Generation? That's tougher. Definitely on the short list. In for PS4 day one as well as the inevitable cheap Steam release as well.

So I'm watching the credits and I haven't seen some of the places in them -- like that covered red bridge. Amazing, what a huge, varied world.

Aleph

Stealing
the jet is
fun but how do you avoid
the missles
?

I
spin and whatever
but ugh!

As soon as you climb on board, try flying as low as you can and head towards the sea. When you are far away from the base, climb towards max altitude and wait for the stars to go away,

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I just finished the
torture scene

BIG SPOILERS BELOW:

Why is Mike working with the FIB? Why was Trevor brought in to torture that guy? Who WAS that guy? Why did Mike snipe the guy he called out? Basically... what the hell is going on with the FIB sub-plot?

Another thing, why do Mike and Franklin suddenly know about Trevor's plot to steal the military weaponry? Did I miss a cutscene where T explained the plan to them?

Also, where did the idea to steal the military weaponry come from? Why did he just all of the sudden come up with that heist?

Basically the only plot I'm able to follow is Mike's family being shitty and leaving him...

The FIB covered Michael faking his death, so he owes them
Trevor was torturing the guy because he's Trevor - best person for the job, since it wasn't going to be Michael. I guess it keeps the FIB's hands clean too.
The torturee was this foregin guy that the FIB had railroaded believing he's a terrorist. The whole FIB plot is a parody as to how the gov catch terrorists and how torture will get you any info.
Mike sniped the guy he called out because that's what he was told to do? TBH we don't know if the guy was really guilty, all we know is that the FIB thought he was, or wanted their superiors to think he was.

No idea about the miltiary weapon thing, it's been a few weeks since I played it. I think it's because Trevor wants a big score and also is happy to piss off Merryweather. He has an 'in' at the docks due to Wade's cousin. It's funny, it's one of the few times the protagonist has agency ("I'm doing THIS!") but it confuses the audience because nobody told us to do it.

When can we do away with spoiler tags btw? Been ages since the game came out :p

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Stealing
the jet is
fun but how do you avoid
the missles
?

I
spin and whatever
but ugh!

Don't spin, bank. I steal the plane from the hangar after driving in, usually got a 5 sec lead, allowing me to take off low just as the cars turn up. As soon as you get altitude, start banking and weaving as hardcore as possible while gaining height. Once you're high enough you'll lose your stars easily.

Also, I really don't think you need to spoiler that there's a plane you can steal. You were vague enough.

SJRB

Gold Member
I just finished the
torture scene

BIG SPOILERS BELOW:

I'll try to give it a shot:

Michael is working with the FIB because he is forced by Davey. Michael's "retirement" wasn't exactly done by the books, and if he doesn't help Davey the entire thing might get exposed. It's basically leverage, which is why Haynes can pull Michael's strings as well, resulting in the sniping/torture mission [Michael was nothing but a hitman]. The guy who was rescued and then tortured has information on the target, which is why you rescued him from the agency only to get him tortured by Trevor. Why Trevor? Because he's a sick fuck that doesn't need a reason to torture someone.

Just go with the flow, my friend. That segment felt very tiresome to me because of the narrative dissonance, but it will iron itself out along the line.

Finally beat the story and I must say BRAVO! Rockstar. Loved every minute of it,gonna go through the story campaign again before I check out multi.

End of story spoiler:
So I killed off Trevor and now regret it :( Didnt even think it would disable all of his missions. Sucks but oh well. Anyone here kill off Michael or Franklin? How did the killings go down?

Dabanton

Finally beat the story and I must say BRAVO! Rockstar. Loved every minute of it,gonna go through the story campaign again before I check out multi.

End of story spoiler:
So I killed off Trevor and now regret it :( Didnt even think it would disable all of his missions. Sucks but oh well. Anyone here kill off Michael or Franklin? How did the killings go down?

I kept all three of them alive. You'll miss out on stuff like Trevor's mum missions turning up now. And she is hilarious.

Franklin is the only one who doesn't have a death ending as if you choose option C you would have kept all three characters alive

Indeed, however, (FINAL MISSIONS SPOILERS)
sniping that FIB fool gave me more pleasure than any other mission in the game.

Weak. He caught me sneaking up to him, but for some reason just stayed cowered in his little carriage, so I hurled a sticky bomb into it and... boom! :D

Atruvius

I finished the game yesterday and thought it was pretty good but it had some issues.

I think the game had way too much shooting and the controls are a bit too clunky which doesn't help the experience at all.

The game world is really big but the the fast travel system is really bad. You have to call a taxi because there's never any around then you have to wait for the taxi to arrive, which takes way too long.

I liked the characters' chemistry together. How they interacted with each other and their banter. I think I probably liked the cutscenes more than the gameplay...

saunderez

I kept all three of them alive. You'll miss out on stuff like Trevor's mum missions turning up now. And she is hilarious.

Franklin is the only one who doesn't have a death ending as if you choose option C you would have kept all three characters alive
A strong theme in Franklin's storyline is looking out for your homies, I thought the game was basically telling me Deathwish was the only option for him. If I didn't give up on Lamar I sure wasn't giving up on Michael or Trevor

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
You know it's going to be a good gaming session when you hop in a car and switch to The Lowdown station with this song greeting you.

ready or not
here i come
you can't hide
gonna find you and keep you happy

Ramenman

Hi guys, I wanted to know, does the game (retail bluray version) fit on an empty 12gb ultraslim PS3 ?

Apparently the install is 8 gb, but I was wondering if there might be any surprises, maybe if there's additional download required for the online mode (which is the main reason I'd buy my own version of the game, since I've been playing the campaign on my roommate's 360).

Thanks Jedeye Sniv and SJRB, that helped quite a bit!

Edit: Oh my last question, did they explain how Franklin and Mike just innately know about Trevor's dock heist? I know PHOENIXZERO said they did, but I seriously can't recall that happening.

TTG

Hi guys, I wanted to know, does the game (retail bluray version) fit on an empty 12gb ultraslim PS3 ?

Apparently the install is 8 gb, but I was wondering if there might be any surprises, maybe if there's additional download required for the online mode (which is the main reason I'd buy my own version of the game, since I've been playing the campaign on my roommate's 360).

I don't know about install size, but there have been 2 updates on the ps3, 39mb each.

E92 M3

So who else fucking loves the TV shows in this game? I think spent an hour watching them -- everything is so perfect. My favorite is the detective fighting the communists in Vinewood lol; nonstop laughs were had. Commercials are great too -- my favorites are the Redwood cigarettes for kids and the windmills killing birds

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Edit: Oh my last question, did they explain how Franklin and Mike just innately know about Trevor's dock heist? I know PHOENIXZERO said they did, but I seriously can't recall that happening.

I would guess that Lester told them?

nib95

Banned

Just quick save right before attempting the jump and reload if you fail.

EDIT: Definitely quicker than 2 mins. Are you loading from in game or going back out to the main menu first? Mine usually take under a minute, often closer to half a minute.

I enjoy stealing the Jet but my god is that thing terrible to fly. I can fly all the other planes fine but this thing is wonky and just flails all over the place. Don't even get me started on trying to land it...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I timed it at 2min15sec on my PS3.

Still better than going back to find another car/bike I guess but it still gonna take me way too long.

You're making me want to time my PS3, because I'm sure it's waaaaaay quicker than that. But it would involve me doing something :p

I guess I will find out for sure when I do the stunt jumps soon.

Dabanton

So who else fucking loves the TV shows in this game? I think spent an hour watching them -- everything is so perfect. My favorite is the detective fighting the communists in Vinewood lol; nonstop laughs were had. Commercials are great too -- my favorites are the Redwood cigarettes for kids and the windmills killing birds

I love Kung Fu Lazer Rainbow Force.

Megasoum

Banned
Just quick save right before attempting the jump and reload if you fail.

EDIT: Definitely quicker than 2 mins. Are you loading from in game or going back out to the main menu first? Mine usually take under a minute, often closer to half a minute.

You're making me want to time my PS3, because I'm sure it's waaaaaay quicker than that. But it would involve me doing something :p

I guess I will find out for sure when I do the stunt jumps soon.

Loading from the pause menu.

But I have a 60gig back compat OG system so it's probably tired by now.

one85x

Edit: Oh my last question,
did they explain how Franklin and Mike just innately know about Trevor's dock heist? I know PHOENIXZERO said they did, but I seriously can't recall that happening.
He recruits Franklin after doing a mission with him and Lamar involving dry wall disguised as a brick of cocaine. You fight a bunch of Ballas and escape on jetskis. I believe he recruits Michael just by calling him up and saying "you owe me".

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Has anyone else beat it and having a hard time finding the motivation to 100% it?

I may aswell start the story again.

Hell no brah, I'm on the road to 100% now and loving it. Finally finished up the letters and spaceship parts last night, just got stunt jumps, knifeflights and half the radioactive barrels left to get. Then some other fun stuff like golf and shit. I did the half hour triathlon yesterday too, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I need to get to 100% so I can join in the easter egg hunt. Gimme dat jetpack R*!

Top Bottom