• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

You're not alone. Combat feels good to me in both games, especially compared to other open-world games.

edit: I agree about characters being a bit too fragile, though, and body armor should be stronger. But I have no qualms about the game mechanically or control-wise.

GTAIV's combat was fun in spite of the controls. In a flat, static, enclosed environment, the combat was boring. Having the entire city to run around in with an almost infinite number of possible combat scenarios, the complexity/detail in vehicle damage and the physics are what made multiplayer combat a blast.

In single-player, scripted/guided shootouts were pretty dismal; just hunker down, take pot shots, advance, Etc. Playing them without lock-on helped make them more interesting, but the game wasn't designed with free-aim in mind. That's even more evident in RDR, especially with one of the last missions (wide open space with guys rushing in from all sides). There was little about the combat mechanics themselves that were particularly good; sluggish character movement, janky cover system, no shoulder switching, no hip-fire.

I feel V is much better than IV in that regard, yet it's still lacking. That isn't to say it can't be fun; all the possibilities for encounters are great and there are more tools to play with here. I still feel it's fun in spite of the core mechanics though. The low health is problematic too; I preferred IV's health, honestly. You can cut someone down far too quickly in V which limits the chances of having interesting back-and-forth. I'd take higher health over any health-regen.

Yerolo

Does either of the ps3 patches they've released fix the garage saving problem?

Also, when I played last night...none of the mod/chop shops were showing up on the map. I did a quick google, appears alot of other ppl are having the same issue.

Yerolo

Didn't a nvidia rep say that a month ago as well? Or was it AMD?

I think the point is the smoke is building and where there's smoke....

Every GTA since GTA3 has had a PC release 7-8mths after the consoles. What reason is there to think V will be any different ?

Epcott

So I just bought this and tried a little online play.

Its difficult to check the map, read briefings, invite friends with so much PVP chaos XD

Not sure how crews work or if there is a Gaf crew. Maybe I'll play the single player game first so I can get use to the controls and nuances.

alright. I'm confused.

I just did Caida Libre mission with Michael and Trever. Now, I switch back to Franklin and only have a 'M' icon left but can't seem to access it.

I did one assassination mission with Franklin and after about 20 minutes, there has been no change in the stock prices.

I can't seem to do anything now and can't use Trevor/Mike because they are 'laying low'

Anyone else experience this?

MrDaravon

You're putting the landing gear down right? I know it's a really dumb question but it happened earlier in the thread and it was hilarious.

I literally just cannot make the approach properly, I either keep way overshooting it or going too fast or clipping something or whatever. I've had the option to skip this mission for like, 15 minutes now, but I don't want to because I want to know how to land a goddamn plane but it forces me to replay like 2 minutes of flying every time and it's really pissing me off.

Edit: Finally did it, flawlessly of course. Same problem I have with the car driving, feels way too twitchy.

I literally just cannot make the approach properly, I either keep way overshooting it or going too fast or clipping something or whatever. I've had the option to skip this mission for like, 15 minutes now, but I don't want to because I want to know how to land a goddamn plane but it forces me to replay like 2 minutes of flying every time and it's really pissing me off.

Try and line up the runway from a decent distance, open up the landing gear, and don't hit any buttons. You'll start to slow down as you glide towards the ground. If you still think you're coming in too fast, break.

MrDaravon

Try and line up the runway from a decent distance, open up the landing gear, and don't hit any buttons. You'll start to slow down as you glide towards the ground. If you still think you're coming in too fast, break.

Yeah, my problem is that I try to make a correction and just wind up going way off course, I still need to probably just get used to it but I still find car driving equally twitchy hours later. I've always found the driving to be way too twitchy in GTA games.

cdkee

Banned
N6gH1Ej.png

dat-ass-epic-smiley.png

I have gone from about 30 mil on each character to 100 on each. Thank you PIS.

Yeah, my problem is that I try to make a correction and just wind up going way off course, I still need to probably just get used to it but I still find car driving equally twitchy hours later. I've always found the driving to be way too twitchy in GTA games.

Yeah, readjusting the plane is pretty sensitive. Are you using LB and RB to turn the plane instead of the left stick (if you're playing on 360 or whatever buttons are the PS3 equivalent)? Left stick is super sensitive. Gotta use it delicately or just LB/RB.

MrDaravon

Yeah, readjusting the plane is pretty sensitive. Are you using LB and RB to turn the plane instead of the left stick (if you're playing on 360 or whatever buttons are the PS3 equivalent)? Left stick is super sensitive. Gotta use it delicately or just LB/RB.

Yeah. I bought that first hangar you land it (game seems to push you in that direction) and the first aerial drop mission, I think my problem was that I wasn't breaking hard enough coming in.

I spent like an hour trying to steal a fighter jet. Finally got it and even though I ripped off the landing gear in a bad landing, I had it on my runway.

Went to move my current plane out of the hanger to save it, watched the stupid jet sitting there as I pulled the old one out, and as soon as I turned my back it vanished.

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Now I gotta do that all over again :(

Can Trevor's hanger store more than one plane?

Quick

Banned
I ended up getting GTA IV: Complete Edition.

Driving feels weird compared to GTA V. Riding a bike on TLAD might have been worse.

I dont think so. I stole the jet and had to do what you do and move the prop plane to make room for it. I never saw the prop plane again after that, but I didnt mind as it was a nice upgrade :)

Okay, thanks. I'll move my plane out before hand this time to make sure my precious jet doesn't vanish on me again.

Omni

I dont think so. I stole the jet and had to do what you do and move the prop plane to make room for it. I never saw the prop plane again after that, but I didnt mind as it was a nice upgrade :)
How do you get away with the jet? :lol

The moment I get out of the base I have several missiles after me.

Yerolo

I know that but imminent implies it's coming very soon.

I read the article and I don't see any mention of a 'imminent' release. The only time he refers to it is when he says “At least with Grand Theft Auto I don’t think it’ll be console exclusive very long."

That says nothing...and a 7 mth gap between platforms isn't very long imo. Nothing very substantial in that article at all.

Don't get me wrong, I want a PC release as much as anyone...Los Santos will look magnificent in its full PC glory, I'm just being realistic.

Yerolo

How do you get away with the jet? :lol

The moment I get out of the base I have several missiles after me.

Took a few attempts...but I just drove a car straight into the base and parked it next to the jet. There were a few stray soldiers around, so as soon as I jumped out of the car, I wasted them and then climbed into the jet. Once in the jet, make a hard right and just take off

Avoiding the first volley of rockets is the tricky part. Once you hear them fired, do barrel rolls/evasive manoeuvres and if you get lucky, they'll miss and you'll be soon out of range and home free

Took a few attempts...but I just drove a car straight into the base and parked it next to the jet. There were a few stray soldiers around, so as soon as I jumped out of the car, I wasted them and then climbed into the jet. Once in the jet, make a hard right and just take off

Avoiding the first volley of rockets is the tricky part. Once you hear them fired, do barrel rolls/evasive manoeuvres and if you get lucky, they'll miss and you'll be soon out of range and home free

Stay as low as possible and raise the landing gear. The rockets don't seem to fire until you reach a certain height. Keep flying low over the ocean to lose your wanted level. If you get spotted while high in the air, jets may come.

Omni

Stay as low as possible and raise the landing gear. The rockets don't seem to fire until you reach a certain height. Keep flying low over the ocean to lose your wanted level. If you get spotted while high in the air, jets may come.
Ahh okay. Thanks, will give it a go in a minute.
Question about Kifflom.
Where is the car that spawns at this location: http://i.imgur.com/rj4RrRz.png (the cars you need to collect. Can't seem to find the final one. I'd watch the video guide again but my internet is capped

Yerolo

Anyone else having an issue with the mod shops, barber & tattoo parlors not showing up on the map ? I tried driving to them anyway, and they dont open up like they normally do

I've already finished / 100%'d the game....is this supposed to happen ?

Ok so this has been bothering more than it should but I guess this is the best place to vent out. Why can't we transport vehicles on other vehicles already?? I put a jet ski on the boat ramp on the beach and pulled out of the water in my truck: the boat jetski just bounced around until it exploded wasting me.Trucks drive around in the game with boats hitched on a trailer in the back why can't I do it myself? Same thing happened when I put a bike inside the titan. The bike bounced around until it exploded inside the plane. I also tried the car packer thing: I put a car on the rail and as I pulled up, it just rolled right off after jerking around violently, Is there some technical limitation and explanation as to why vehicles act weird on or in other vehicles in GTA?

Repo Man

alright. I'm confused.

I just did Caida Libre mission with Michael and Trever. Now, I switch back to Franklin and only have a 'M' icon left but can't seem to access it.

I did one assassination mission with Franklin and after about 20 minutes, there has been no change in the stock prices.

I can't seem to do anything now and can't use Trevor/Mike because they are 'laying low'

Anyone else experience this?

Yea its a bug in the game which I was suffering with the other night. To get around it ( if you havent yet ) load up the game and you'll be on Franklin, call a cab and ride it to Michaels house but make sure to pay some extra to skip the ride asap. Approach Michaels house on foot and the mission marker should appear on his doorstep.

sp3ctr3

I dont know if this had been mentioned yet but are there differences between 360 and ps3, content wise?

I play on the 360 and havent seen a single sabre car model yet? But on my dads ps3 theyre all over?

Also havent seen a civillian version of the taxi/police car model.

Yea its a bug in the game which I was suffering with the other night. To get around it ( if you havent yet ) load up the game and you'll be on Franklin, call a cab and ride it to Michaels house but make sure to pay some extra to skip the ride asap. Approach Michaels house on foot and the mission marker should appear on his doorstep.

will try this today. Thanks!!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Oh wow this is lame. I just bought a Rhino tank. It's now saved in my hangar! Great, right? Currently the military jet I went to oh so much effort to steal from the military base is stored there. You know what happens if I go there and take the Rhino out? My military jet is gone forever. Vehicles you purchase from websites will be stored there in a list for you forever to swap out when you want to. But vehicles you steal and park there will only be temporarily stored there. As soon as you swap to something else it's gone forever. Meaning if I ever take the tank out I'll have to steal a jet from the military base if I ever want one again. What's worse is the military jet isn't even available to purchase. I'm just gonna have to not save the game whenever I go on a tank rampage.

Which brings me to another complaint. The tank goes down too easily. I didn't even manage to make it to a 5 star wanted rating before my tank was destroyed. Normal cars can take more damage than that! In fact come to think of it.....I 'm pretty sure the tank is the only vehicle I've ever seen actually get destroyed by ordinary gunfire. Cars get damaged and all, with tires going out and getting harder to drive the more you get fired on, but I've honestly never actually had my car explode from gunfire. Yet the tank does. It's really strange.

rallaren

I ended up getting GTA IV: Complete Edition.

Driving feels weird compared to GTA V. Riding a bike on TLAD might have been worse.
I am 30% into IV but don't feel like continuing. I just don't like anything about the game. Nico says something funny once in a while but that's it. It tends to surprise me though which is why I hesitate.

Should I just start with the DLC?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Does anyone know how to view the new Princess Robot Bubblegum episode in this game? I originally thought there wasn't one but in the credits it says it does exist. I haven't seen it on tv and when I go on the website it says the video is too popular.

Top Bottom