• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

lil smoke

Banned
Super bored with this game. I'm maybe 10 hours in? I lost track. The jewelry store job was the highlight of the game and it took forever to get there.

-The writing is still corny as hell and I can't take it seriously. My friends love Franklin, but I think they are just under the spell of hearing "nigga" thrown around so freely anytime Franklin's crew is around.

-The shooting sucks. That tiny reticle is easy to miss and I'm playing on a big screen. It just feels like a sloppy-ass shooter, not the 11/10 game all the media seems to be talking about.

-The driving is improved over 4, but still annoying. Its not terrible, its just not great either.

-I have no idea how to advance the main story. All I care about is getting the big 3 together to do some more heists. Instead, I'm stuck driving forklifts, doing Yoga, and delivering drugs. I'm fucking bored here. Let's plan more heists already!

-Very disappointed that the big reunion seemingly went nowhere. "Hey I'm mad and you totally fucked me over all those years ago, but let's forget it cuz we got a mission now and once its over I'll just leave like nothing happened."

-Online is worse. There's no main characters to care about, just random nonsense and a stupid tutorial I can't skip. Christ, just let me figure it out. I know how to race the dumb cars. I know how to kill a guy and take his dope. Jeez.

I feel like I'm missing something here. Maybe this game just isn't for me anymore.
It gets a lot better at 30-35%, but I can't deny I had those same feelings.

I think it is the most beautiful world I've played in, but it has not succeeded in distracting me from the oversights, and questionable decisions, gameplay omissions, and unnecessary vagueness.

Pretty sure though, as always when I think back 4 years from now, I will remember the almost teary eyes every time I just stop in a car with the radio on in cinematic view, and think awesome, awesome game. They tend to make me forget all the bullshit I just went thru.

So who else fucking loves the TV shows in this game? I think spent an hour watching them -- everything is so perfect. My favorite is the detective fighting the communists in Vinewood lol; nonstop laughs were had. Commercials are great too -- my favorites are the Redwood cigarettes for kids and the windmills killing birds

Oh the TV was amazing. I would fire up the xbox while eating dinner just to catch the shows. I once watched a film on a date (with Jimmy) though. Whoa, that was one really bad flick.

I can't get the blitz play heist to start. I did all the prep but it won't show up. I've done the life invader mission for Lester and that's it. I'm trying to save those till post game. Do I need to do one to move the game forward?

E92 M3

It gets a lot better at 30-35%, but I can't deny I had those same feelings.

I think it is the most beautiful world I've played in, but it has not succeeded in distracting me from the oversights, and questionable decisions, gameplay omissions, and unnecessary vagueness.

Pretty sure though, as always when I think back 4 years from now, I will remember the almost teary eyes every time I just stop in a car with the radio on in cinematic view, and think awesome, awesome game. They tend to make me forget all the bullshit I just went thru.

Oh the TV was amazing. I would fire up the xbox while eating dinner just to catch the shows. I once watched a film on a date (with Jimmy) though. Whoa, that was one really bad flick.

Speaking of dates, lol, how do you know where to pick them up? I never get any markers on my map and always seems like I ditched them, haha.

I can't get the blitz play heist to start. I did all the prep but it won't show up. I've done the life invader mission for Lester and that's it. I'm trying to save those till post game. Do I need to do one to move the game forward?

You're good with one.

When I try to buy some of the bigger planes for Trevor, it says there is not enough space in my hangar. Normal?

This means I can't get them with Trevor? It sucks, he's my preferred pilot. Oh well, gonna stick with the LAZER jet for him then. Thing is a beast.

sunnz

Just had the best random event.

Driving a cop car and seen a large shootout between cops and some crooks, helped the cops but stole the evidence the crooks had, which was 10 k, so good.

Does being in a cop car have its own special random events? seems like it so far.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
-The shooting sucks. That tiny reticle is easy to miss and I'm playing on a big screen. It just feels like a sloppy-ass shooter, not the 11/10 game all the media seems to be talking about.

Couldn't disagree more, I love me the gun battles. I'm genuinely surprised so many don't get on with it. I love the precision of the weapons and the grungy qualities of the firefights. It is just the right mix of GTA IV and MP3 for me.

I have to admit, the occasional Euphoria (or is it a RAGE) qwerk are still present (and frustrating), but it's not nearly the constant struggle of GTA IV.

cackhyena

Driving a cop car and seen a large shootout between cops and some crooks, helped the cops but stole the evidence the crooks had, which was 10 k, so good.

Does being in a cop car have its own special random events? seems like it so far.
That would be nice, since there's no vigilante missions. I haven't followed online since lot Ethernet port on my 360 is blown out. Are vigilante missions available online?

E92 M3

Couldn't disagree more, I love me the gun battles. I'm genuinely surprised so many don't get on with it. I love the precision of the weapons and the grungy qualities of the firefights. It is just the right mix of GTA IV and MP3 for me.

I have to admit, the occasional Euphoria (or is it a RAGE) qwerk are still present (and frustrating), but it's not nearly the constant struggle of GTA IV.

I also love the shooting in this iteration - R* litterally improved everything. Hell, I even like doing the races and that's a crazy statement coming from a GTA vet, lol.

Alright, can someone explain car ownership because clearly I don't get it like I initially thought. I stole a Corquette as Michael and customized it. Stored it in his garage (the car garage, not his house garage) turned off system, turned back on system the next day; retrieved car. Drove to a mission, watched cutscene....car is gone. Not at my garage, not at impound just gone. Wtf? Why even customize cars if they just disappear or can't be retrieved if you wreck them or do a mission? Ugh.p

I thought as soon as you took a car to your garage/customized it you could always get it back/it became your car? Or am I just cursed, because this has also happened to me as Franklin and customizing a sports bike I stole.

sunnz

Anyone else hate how they ruined the hand to hand combat?

IV was great once you understood it ( such as when you dodged a punch, you had like 4 or 5 different combos that could happen, unlike V were it's 1)

Felt a little more brutal in IV too ( expect the sucker punch in V, that is awesome)

iv fighting techniques:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12jPZWlAZUg

Anyone else hate how they ruined the hand to hand combat?

IV was great once you understood it ( such as when you dodged a punch, you had like 4 or 5 different combos that could happen, unlike V were it's 1)

Felt a little more brutal in IV too ( expect the sucker punch in V, that is awesome)

iv fighting techniques:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12jPZWlAZUg

The fluidity of V is waaaay better, but yeah, I was disappointed with how the hit reactions seemed toned down, the lack of awesome counter animations, and how everyone now dies when you beat them down, instead of being injured unless you continued to stomp them.

lil smoke

Banned
Alright, can someone explain car ownership because clearly I don't get it like I initially thought. I stole a Corquette as Michael and customized it. Stored it in his garage (the car garage, not his house garage) turned off system, turned back on system the next day; retrieved car. Drove to a mission, watched cutscene....car is gone. Not at my garage, not at impound just gone. Wtf? Why even customize cars if they just disappear or can't be retrieved if you wreck them or do a mission? Ugh.p

I thought as soon as you took a car to your garage/customized it you could always get it back/it became your car? Or am I just cursed, because this has also happened to me as Franklin and customizing a sports bike I stole.
Dunno.

I thought that since it was Grand Theft AUTO, and I have 1000s of customizable vehicle options, I would be able to pimp a vehicle and like, keep it, and use it in the fucking game.

They went all out, and made upgrades expensive as hell, make sure you'll only use that car once or twice, convince you to buy a garage just to watch the same shit happen.

So I just put the car in a garage and look at how pretty it is, and walk out. Okay, sometimes, I will drive carefully around the block and back it into the garage, for something a little extra.

Good job on the auto thing R*.

I was following Trevor earlier as Michael, trying to hit him, jumping near him. He kept yelling at me then finally turned around yelled "LEAVE ME ALONE!" and head-butted me, killing me instantly

It was pretty funny.

Was on a "date" as Mike with Franklin, we took a long speed boat up the west coast, upon entering shore, of course the boat coasts on the sand a bit. We hit a bump. We get out. Franklin punches me, I die.

I just turned the game off after that. How I'm supposed to enjoy that as a gaming experience is beyond me. Fuck your $5000.

I think that's a glitch and they're aware of it:

http://support.rockstargames.com/hc...ring-from-the-gta-v-garage-or-losing-upgrades

The fluidity of V is waaaay better, but yeah, I was disappointed with how the hit reactions seemed toned down, the lack of awesome counter animations, and how everyone now dies when you beat them down, instead of being injured unless you continued to stomp them.

My main issue with this is that paramedics are pretty much worthless now. They'll show up after a huge brawl and just shrug and start writing on their notepad instead of reviving people.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
These commercial airliners are ridiculously delicate. I bumped into some unmovable pile of baggage and the whole airplane exploded, it's wings falling off and everything. Combined with no animation to enter the airplane in the first place, I get the feeling that it was a particularly late addition. It's design just doesn't feel very well thought out.

reminder

I don't think so. I encountered the same situation before, but not while driving a cop car.

Yeahhh my account finally got activated!

Finished the game a few days ago, really enjoyed it even though the story isn't really going anywhere in the middle (same with most GTA games). I'm now trying to 100% it but I think I've gone soft gaming wise. The stunt jumps are killing me, even when I quick save before every jump. There's soooo many collectibles as well, I don't think I have the stomach for it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
No idea if this is a known issue, or maybe I did something wrong but: every street race is gone from my map! I won the first race (story mission), then didn't bother with them for ages, but now I want to do some, but the icons have vanished from my map. I tried calling the guy that's in charge of them, but it's always busy.

This is just for street races, sea/offroad/triatlon stuff appears just fine.

Any way to fix this? 55/69 story missions done, if that'd matter

No idea if this is a known issue, or maybe I did something wrong but: every street race is gone from my map! I won the first race (story mission), then didn't bother with them for ages, but now I want to do some, but the icons have vanished from my map. I tried calling the guy that's in charge of them, but it's always busy.

Any way to fix this?

I think street races can only be done at night, from 8.00 onwards

ThisOne

I'm pretty sure I've seen that event when I wasn't in a cop car.

Muffdraul

Was on a "date" as Mike with Franklin, we took a long speed boat up the west coast, upon entering shore, of course the boat coasts on the sand a bit. We hit a bump. We get out. Franklin punches me, I die.

I just turned the game off after that. How I'm supposed to enjoy that as a gaming experience is beyond me. Fuck your $5000.

After racking up a nice collection of random insta-deaths from things like that, seemingly mild fender benders, dogs that I didn't know were inside the vehicle of some random motorist I decided to jack, I got into the habit of abusing quicksave *constantly*. I refuse to lose that $5K.

Nameless

Couldn't disagree more, I love me the gun battles I'm genuinely surprised many don't get on with it. I love the precision of the weapons and the grungy qualities of the firefights. It is just the right mix of GTA IV and MP3 for me.

Definitely. The shooting is quite underwhelming on the default settings, but Free Aim + Complex reticle w/some tweaks to the sensitivity without question makes GTAV one of the best 3rd person shooters I've played in quite sometime. Makes me question why it wasn't like that out of the box; it's like a different game combat wise.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely. The shooting is quite underwhelming on the default settings, but Free Aim + Complex reticle w/some tweaks to the sensitivity without question makes GTAV one of the best 3rd person shooters I've played in quite sometime. Makes me question why it wasn't like that out of the box; it's like a different game combat wise.

That's exactly what I did.

Also? VBR is an amazing station.

Gertso

Neo Member
After racking up a nice collection of random insta-deaths from things like that, seemingly mild fender benders, dogs that I didn't know were inside the vehicle of some random motorist I decided to jack, I got into the habit of abusing quicksave *constantly*. I refuse to lose that $5K.

These are the same reasons I quit playing RDR.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Any way to fix this? 55/69 story missions done, if that'd matter

They only show up at night, and only as Franklin unlike the other types.

Udham

This is about dropping hitchhikers to their destination when playing as Trevor...

****Spoiler****

i dropped 3 hikers at Altruist camp, don't have any more left (i need 1 more)through "fixed" random events to gain the entry into the camp, any suggestions?

Wasp

Whenever I switch to Trevor and he starts in Floyd's apartment the door is locked and I can't get out. I'm literally trapped inside and it's impossible to exit. It's not game breaking because I can just switch to another character and switch back to Trevor a little later and hopefully he starts elsewhere.

Although I found out why the door never opens from inside. I found the door from the outside and it's covered in yellow police tape saying 'crime scene'. Weird.

Still no music from "Mr. Philips."

God dammit.

Some of the non-radio tracks are dynamic, which is the problem. For example, Trevor's final rampage mission features some basic drums and distorted bass, but there's also a low wow-guitar riff that plays when you get a kill.

This is about dropping hitchhikers to their destination when playing as Trevor...

****Spoiler****

i dropped 3 hikers at Altruist camp, don't have any more left (i need 1 more)through "fixed" random events to gain the entry into the camp, any suggestions?

Sometimes if you cruise around beachhouses (near the pier) you'll find guys fresh from a party too drunk to drive - I found them at dawn. I also found a drunk couple really close to Trevor's place looking for a ride every now and then.

Udham

Sometimes if you cruise around beachhouses (near the pier) you'll find guys fresh from a party too drunk to drive - I found them at dawn. I also found a drunk couple really close to Trevor's place looking for a ride every now and then.
Well...

drunk couple skit is actually a fixed random event.
But I will try.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Well...

drunk couple skit is actually a fixed random event.
But I will try.

I would check the socialclub website and track Not Found for random events and see if any of them sound like a pickup for a person and have Trevor do it. I thought I was potentially out of similar events but was able to find a few more.

MYeager

Ditto. I don't know why Free Aim/Complex crosshair wasn't default, or at the very least the option between the two to show up in the first mission. I can't imagine playing through it any other way.

The problem isn't the actual shooting, it's how bad movement during combat still is, not to mention the dynamic crosshair (which should be permanent), and "tap to sprint" which shouldn't be a thing anymore. I never used auto aim, and it's still a clear step down from the best of shooters, of which Rockstar has one of the top contenders in terms of mechanics. Then you layer in the Euphoria weirdness, the laser accurate enemies, the health system that doesn't fit the game; it's just a bunch of things that make combat, at times, disappointing for me, especially missions dealing with tight spaces, or a lot of cover and enemies pouring in from different directions.

It being "just the right mix of GTAIV and MP3" means there's still GTAIV in the DNA, which means there's still "terrible" in the DNA. GTAIV should be gone. All traces of that game, from a mechanic standpoint, should've been nuked from orbit. They already learned how to fix all the issues.

Still no music from "Mr. Philips."

God dammit.

Well these are tracks being recorded directly from the game, so maybe that person just hasn't done it yet.

KEEP HOPE ALIVE

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just got all the letter pieces and did the mission.

"Do I look like I'm here to suck you off?"

Had me laughing me pretty hard.

Yeah that was funny. It was weird too, I was literally talking about the black dahlia killer an hour before and was told the theory about it being performance art. And bam, there it is in the game. That was neat. I also finished up the spaceship parts, that cuts end made me laugh so much. I love the anticlimactic ballkicks this game delivers.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The problem isn't the actual shooting, it's how bad movement during combat still is, not to mention the dynamic crosshair (which should be permanent), and "tap to sprint" which shouldn't be a thing anymore. I never used auto aim, and it's still a clear step down from the best of shooters, of which Rockstar has one of the top contenders in terms of mechanics. Then you layer in the Euphoria weirdness, the laser accurate enemies, the health system that doesn't fit the game; it's just a bunch of things that make combat, at times, disappointing for me, especially missions dealing with tight spaces, or a lot of cover and enemies pouring in from different directions.

It being "just the right mix of GTAIV and MP3" means there's still GTAIV in the DNA, which means there's still "terrible" in the DNA. GTAIV should be gone. All traces of that game, from a mechanic standpoint, should've been nuked from orbit. They already learned how to fix all the issues.

I really didn't mind the combat in the SP game at all, but then I didn't mind it in 4 too much either, and I thought this was much improved on how it used to be. The soft lock is a nice mid ground between the win-button of the normal auto aim, and the free aim which is far too loose without any stickiness. I never really found it giving me any troubles, the game is more about your choices in the combat than your actual mechanical effectiveness for me.

Tbh, it's all to do with the FOV, I'm constantly comparing this in my head to a dedicated TPS like Gears or TLOU and in those games, the FOV is much tighter, making both your player on screen bigger, but also giving you healthily large targets to aim at. It doesn't work in a game with the scope of GTA though, the characters are just so small in the big world that free aim is not really a viable option. I would be interested to play the game somehow with similar FOV or relative sizes to other successful TPS games, I think it would make the combat a lot more satisfying.

I also think that the game should dr the health bar and so for the classic regen health/jam on screen. It works, it's not so frustrating and while unrealistic, it's not more ridiculous than health packs anyway. I think the damage model is far too unforgiving in 5 as well, you die so incredibly easy that it can be disheartening.

So, while not minding the combat so much in SP, I must say that I don't like it at all in multi and I have given up on PvP entirely. Soft lock is great against the ai but is shitty against people. It is not fun to be killed instantly without knowing where it came from. And it's barely any fun to kill people who are so unaware that you're about to wreck their day as well.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I think street races can only be done at night, from 8.00 onwards

They only show up at night, and only as Franklin unlike the other types.

Forgot it had to be at night, thanks. Found a new race icon.

78% and I want to get that 100%. All seems pretty fun except for the 2 collectathons. Not looking forward to those. They were lenient on the 100% requirements, except there :(

Top Bottom