• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Pojo_King

Neo Member
So is the social club back up now? I have been trying to save selfie shots the last few days and it kept telling me that the feature wasn't available yet. Am I missing something? I logged into my account and even tried it then but it didn't work...

Hmm sounds like I'd like this, but how do you find the locations of the missions? Just look in the map on the pause screen? I hate that map, takes too long to load.
Na, mission icon's & waypoints you set still show up on the screen... the GPS just doesn't plot the "best" route to them. You can see the icons on the mini map, you simply know the direction to go (not what specific roads to take).

Had some fun psycho time with Trever. Got a sniper and rode the freight train. You can cause mayhem that way and as long as you don't shoot cops and end up with three stars no-one can catch you.

My only problem with the game right now is the terrible helicopter handling. Very hard to stop the damn things wobbling all over the place. I swear flying in DCS Black Shark is easier.

Anyone else found cars they can't break into?
I found one and Franklin tried the door but it wouldn't open. For some reason he wouldn't try to break the glass. He just kept trying the door,
I thought if I can't steal it, no one is having it, so put a sticky bomb on it.

So can 'heist' missions leave you with no money if the story changes?

I had the first good heist and got some money but I feel like since then I've been doing jobs and not getting paid. I haven't gotten another score since the first one. I'm broke fools!

Yesterday I got a mail from Maude
Question:
It included a picture with the last known whereabouts of the wanted person. How am I supposed to find that place? The ingame map didn't really help
I fly around in the blimp with my phone out to try to match the location. Takes time but I don't know of a better way to do it.

torontoml

Anyone know when the social club is supposed to come back? I was told that was why the bawsaq market isn't working, so I stopped doing franklin/Lester missions.

Having been playing for IV all month before V, I think V blows away IV in every conceivable aspect

1) I thought I would hate the driving, because I loved IV's more realistic physics, but I think Rockstar perfectly balanced the more realistic weight with some arcade-y handling

2) Aiming and gunplay and taking cover is a huge improvement. Free aiming FTW. Combat rolling is a great addition

3) Cops! Finally a game that rivals Need for Speed Most Wanted (PS2, not the recent one). I remember playing that and being amazed when they attempted a rolling roadblock or tried to box me in. V captures the sense of being pursued. More roadblocks, PIT maneuvers, smarter police, evading the spotlight, switching cars, hiding with the headlights off. Now if only the LSPD put down spike strips

4) As a gamer who loves exploration, Los Santos is now my favorite game map ever. Even more than Skyrim or Panau. I've barely explored the city and yet it feels like I've explored more than I ever did in Liberty City. I'm planning two treks: one around the parameter and another from the south border to north, both on foot.

5) Every mission, and the story pacing is fantastic. I especially loved that the mission they showed in the trailer (
Jimmy, boat
) was all gameplay and interactive. I hope the other missions follow suit. (Do they?)

The Last of Us is still my GOTY for story and characters (it was the first game where I was emotionally invested in the characters) but GTA V is my GOTY for everything. And the way I'm enjoying the characters and story, who knows, V might even top the TLOU

But I doubt that

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I gold starred every flying mission available and got nothing (except for the obvious stat-up) :(

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy ;_;

InertiaXr

Anyone know when the social club is supposed to come back? I was told that was why the bawsaq market isn't working, so I stopped doing franklin/Lester missions.
How many did you do? I've done 2 not knowing the social shit was why the markets were down, hopefully more pop up soon? I want to make some quick easy cash.

FStop7

Banned
Holy shit...

Spoiler regarding Trevor's introduction

I can't believe he just killed Johnny K like it was nothing.

Oh and I ran over his girl, too.

the framerate in this game is terrible... and i'm not usually bothered by stuff like that. driving around and the game becomes noticeably chopping, i wish they'd just dropped some effects instead (ps3 for reference)

but having fun with it so far! will get the ps4 enhanced version

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but-

On the 360, if you install the play disc onto a USB stick, the start menu/map load times are instant.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So can 'heist' missions leave you with no money if the story changes?

I had the first good heist and got some money but I feel like since then I've been doing jobs and not getting paid. I haven't gotten another score since the first one. I'm broke fools!

I finally got a Heist that gave me money, and it still found a way to disappoint (but only because 80% of the take went to someone else)

But I really like that Money is mostly made on actual heist, and that all these little missions that don't really involve "money changing hands" usually end up with no money given (even though I wouldn't mind more money).

I like Lester's jobs, and how they effect the stock market ;P

I also really like the "OST" of the game, and how there seems to be music for "escaping the cops"/"early stages of the Heist"/"The Heist"

First day back at work...yeah, probably should have just taken Thursday and Friday off too :p

Holy shit...

Spoiler regarding Trevor's introduction

I can't believe he just killed Johnny K like it was nothing.

Oh and I ran over his girl, too.

She ran off into the desert as I shot Johnny's body. Later on, there's a radio news break (and internet article) about how she died in a 5 person sex & drug orgy (1 girl 4 guys ages 53-85). Miserable Ending.

the framerate in this game is terrible... and i'm not usually bothered by stuff like that. driving around and the game becomes noticeably chopping, i wish they'd just dropped some effects instead (ps3 for reference)

but having fun with it so far! will get the ps4 enhanced version

Yeah, it is pretty bad driving around the city, unfortunately. But not enough to get me to not play the game.

ASSBAG! damnit, I was wondering why I couldn't find the stock mentioned in the first Franklin/Lester mission.

They really need to fix this. I consider that a game breaking flaw.

antitrop

Considering that Lazlow has been one of my longstanding favorite GTA characters (I have almost every line in GTA III's Chatterbox memorized), the "Fame or Shame" mission seemed like it was made for me.

My highlight of the entire game, so far. Make sure to go into the Cinematic camera to hear all of his self-deprecating dialogue.

Nymphae

Banned
One of my favourite little things they added: the ability to go to the pause menu and go over recent "help" notices that you might have missed. They constantly show relevant help info during a cutscene when you can't really read it carefully.

They've always had the "Brief" tab, but it used to only include things said that pertained directly to a mission. It's also nice that you can change the help message frequency.

Na, mission icon's & waypoints you set still show up on the screen... the GPS just doesn't plot the "best" route to them. You can see the icons on the mini map, you simply know the direction to go (not what specific roads to take).

Going to try it out tonight.

Ever since the GPS got better in open world games Ive been paying less attention to the actual open world. And the thing is, its my favorite thing of an open world game to get to know that world. So this should work for me.

Is there a way to make the targeting reticle bigger? the tiny white dot is tough to see during shootouts

Have you tried the "Complex" option in the game settings? It's either that or advanced, can't remember which.

Put's a bigger circle around the reticle, and I've heard it varies from weapon to weapon.

I just finished the game, and I think the credits made a mistake. It said that the Steve Miller song featured is Take The Money And Run, when it's Rock'n Me. I can't believe I found a flaw in this masterpiece!

Actually, no, there were a number of issues, and I ultimately think I had more fun with Saints Row IV. Still very enjoyable, though. I'll review it when my cohort, who was assigned a review copy, finishes his. Or I might do a straight-up analysis of the story, because fuck knows someone needs to talk about the themes who's actually played the game.

God, I'm still pent up over those sort of articles.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Have you tried the "Complex" option in the game settings?

No - only played with the shooting options, aka gta standard, assist or free roam

BTW I love me some swearing etc...but I get moderately uncomfortable at the amount of N*** dropped in this game - maybe that's the point, but as a white guy, its a little uncomfortable

kris.

Banned
Have you tried the "Complex" option in the game settings? It's either that or advanced, can't remember which.

Put's a bigger circle around the reticle, and I've heard it varies from weapon to weapon.

I feel lke this needs to be posted in the OT or at the top of every page or something. Jeez.

You can buy the Rhino tank from a website? Cool for mayhem and such but where am I supposed to store all these planes, boats and MILITARY HARDWARE I can purchase? Do you get helipads, docks and flight strips to purchase as well?

Derrick01

Banned
Your kidding right? You can be rid of all heat in less than 30 seconds. How the cars now handle makes dodging police a breeze.

It's not dodging them that's the problem, with cops having line of sight now it's easier than ever. But the actual wanted meter still takes forever to go away.

No - only played with the shooting options, aka gta standard, assit or free roam

Ahh, I can't exactly remember where the option is, but there is a setting around there to change the reticle option between the default and complex. Shouldn't be too far away from the controller settings if I remember correctly.

Just looked it up, and complex varies the reticle between different weapons. Some complain it's still a bit small, but I found it to be more manageable than the default.

Aesius

I'm sure this has been brought up many times, but it's incredible how they nailed certain locations in LA.

I was just there for the first time last month, and my gf and I were cracking up as I showed her the Santa Monica pier. Everything down to the location of garbage cans and soda machines was spot on. Really weird sense of deja vu while walking around there.

Omni

Put soooo much time into this game over the last three days because I haven't had to go to uni. I'm about ~50% through the main story... which has taken me about 24 hours of game time.

I'm fatigued. Not from the game... but from sitting here playing it so much. :lol

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
I'm sure this has been brought up many times, but it's incredible how they nailed certain locations in LA.

I was just there for the first time last month, and my gf and I were cracking up as I showed her the Santa Monica pier. Everything down to the location of garbage cans and soda machines was spot on. Really weird sense of deja vu while walking around there.

Yeah I was just there last month and I was totally blown away by the authenticity of some areas

Trickster

Put soooo much time into this game over the last three days because I haven't had to go to uni. I'm about ~50% through the main story... which has taken me about 24 hours of game time.

I'm fatigued. Not from the game... but from sitting here playing it so much. :lol

Only 24 hours over 3 days? Weak man, weak.

antitrop

Yeah, I visited LA for the first time last summer for a week to visit a friend.

I'm really glad that I got the opportunity to see LA before playing this game, because even though I was there for a very short amount of time, I was still recognizing plenty of areas in San Andreas.

Masterful world building on display here. The recreation of the Santa Monica pier is absolutely frighteningly accurate.

kris.

Banned
It's not dodging them that's the problem, with cops having line of sight now it's easier than ever. But the actual wanted meter still takes forever to go away.

I like that. It's not like in real life, if you kill someone and cops are searching for you, they're gonna look around for 20 seconds and go WELL FUCK CAN'T FIND HIM OH WELL
It feels more realistic, but not too realistic.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Do you know if you can install both discs on separate USB drives? Does that have any issues?

That would be the same as installing both discs to the HDD.

The reason it streams faster is that it grabs data from two different busses at the same time.

If you install to two memory sticks, they're both using the USB bus. This creates the same bottle neck as having both discs installed on the HDD.

The fastest streaming and game performance possible is HDD and USB, as they use different busses and the game maxes out both of them at the same time.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I love the face that getting out of police trouble actually requires you to use your head.

I've had max stars in GTAIV and I've been able to clear my theft by just driving regularly on the streets. This does NOT work in GTAV. They're persistant as fuck, and I have to seek a darker/shadowy place and hide around buildings. I love that.

I once had like, the entire police force on me on the highroad. I just couldn't avoid them and they were ramming my ass, so I jumped out, stole an ATV and drove up mountains. Eventually they gave up after trying to follow me up the mountain for like a minute.

Then the helicopter shows up and I'm forced to drive down again... where all the cops were camping. I died.

I loved it :lol

FStop7

Banned
If you ride out on whatever the GTA version of Pacific Coast Highway is you'll eventually reach a restaurant called Hookies. That's actually based on a real place called Neptune's Net. They modeled it so faithfully that if you walk inside the locations of the doors are in the same places they are in real life.

neptunes-net.jpg

Sorry but you are wrong. I lost multiple bought and customized cars that were kept in the "garage" yet disappeared or had to be left at a mission starting point and never turned up at the impound.

Anyone?

Go to different barbers and you'll get different options.

Omni

Only 24 hours over 3 days? Weak man, weak.

Haha, no!

I'm long past the point of thinking "am I seriously just sitting here playing this game for this long?"... Usually I'm only capping in a few hours of gaming a week. Thought I could power through the storyline as quick as possible... Buuuut, I guess I am back at uni tomorrow, so might as well make the most of my laziness on my days off haha

Top Bottom