• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Fjordson

Funny how some of you don't like the radios. I actually love them V, better than IV for me thats for sure.
I like V's more as well, though not by much. IV had some nice stations.

Honestly, I can't think of a single aspect of V that I don't consider superior to IV. V is just a much better game to me.

Dead Man

Niko is more complex, interesting, and well-written than anything in V.

V's are fun and have an appreciable amount of backstory but I would still make that argument.

I just can't agree with that, sorry. The trio in V are pretty rubbish, but Niko and his arc was one of the worst examples of writing fiction I can think of.

I don't doubt that 90% of people will have this option but that doesn't mean it's right.

There are many, many things IV does better.

Theme
Score
Characterization
City Design
Plot
Soundtrack

Both have tradeoffs for what they were trying to accomplish but let's not be silly here.

Weird, I never read anything but hate for IV and love for V.

Brehs, all of the characters and "stories" have been misused and junk, respectively, in both games.

The real problem here is that dude said GTAIV had a better score. You taklin about musical score? Buckethead, are you loco ese?

OKAY. what the fuck just happened.

I was playing the online mission "Hit 'em up," that one where you have to kill literally hundreds of people in 4 locations - if you're about level 15 this is when you'll get to it. I did it alone and on hard - in a solo online session.

I FINALLY get to the end and kill Terence. It then says "Take out the rest of the Ballas." I take out the last guy and then it says "Mission failed: Friendly killed." I was playing ALONE. No friendlies exist. Has this happened to anyone else? Fuck, man. So frustrating.

MisterNoisy

OKAY. what the fuck just happened.

I was playing the online mission "Hit 'em up," that one where you have to kill literally hundreds of people in 4 locations - if you're about level 15 this is when you'll get to it. I did it alone and on hard - in a solo online session.

I FINALLY get to the end and kill Terence. It then says "Take out the rest of the Ballas." I take out the last guy and then it says "Mission failed: Friendly killed." I was playing ALONE. No friendlies exist. Has this happened to anyone else? Fuck, man. So frustrating.

Same thing happens with the mission 'Lost MC RIP', except the failure message reads something like 'A gang member was killed', which is absurd given that killing them is the whole point of the mission. Some of the jobs are just buggy like that.

Same thing happens with the mission 'Lost MC RIP', except the failure message reads something like 'A gang member was killed', which is absurd given that killing them is the whole point of the mission. Some of the jobs are just buggy like that.

Thanks for responding. It's been like an hour since that happened and I'm still fuming LOL. Especially difficult since I'm a level 15, only got $70,000, and the beefiest weapon I have is the combat MG I picked up in a mission.

Shit well if any higher levels want to add me and help me through that level so I don't throw my PS3 out the window in frustration, my PSN name is synushedake

Raptomex

I only cheat in GTA games after 100% completion and one thing I can say is the cheats in IV are better than V. God mode is awesome but what is this 5 min limit nonsense?

Fjordson

Yeah, I was never big on cheats, but I have friends who are and they've said GTA cheats aren't quite as fun now as they were in the PS2 games.

Didn't GTA IV have some weird restrictions for cheats as well? I could be making this up, but I thought like you couldn't save after you used one or something weird.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah, I was never big on cheats, but I have friends who are and they've said GTA cheats aren't quite as fun now as they were in the PS2 games.

Didn't GTA IV have some weird restrictions for cheats as well? I could be making this up, but I thought like you couldn't save after you used one or something weird.

You wouldn't be able to get 100% completion if you used cheats, the game would actively block out certain achievements/trophies if you used certain cheats [weapon spawning cheats, armour or health]

lush

I only cheat in GTA games after 100% completion and one thing I can say is the cheats in IV are better than V. God mode is awesome but what is this 5 min limit nonsense?

The only thing GTA IV has over GTA V when it comes to cheats is ease of entry since the cheats were saved in your phone after you entered them.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
So I was messing around with the cheats today and noticed the slow motion offers 3 options.

25%, 50% and 75%.

Well I hit it on 50% and did a little recording, then sped it back up to 200% on a 60fps time line. This is what it would look like in 50-60fps. Might see a few drops since we all know the game doesn't run locked at 30fps.

http://a.pomf.se/ymxinv.webm

It looks much better when running or driving.

http://a.pomf.se/hdksrq.webm

http://a.pomf.se/qscgwb.webm

I just can't agree with that, sorry. The trio in V are pretty rubbish, but Niko and his arc was one of the worst examples of writing fiction I can think of.
What didn't you like?

I liked the hint's of Niko's backstory and his conversation with the Russian mobster's wife. He's someone who longs for redemption but lost his soul long ago.
He naively believed that he could reclaim it due to his relationship with Kate but she's eventually
murdered by Pegorino
and forced to get revenge.

I'm not saying it's groundbreaking literature but it's definitely above the grade for your typical video game narrative.

Raptomex

The only thing GTA IV has over GTA V when it comes to cheats is ease of entry since the cheats were saved in your phone after you entered them.
I have to disagree ONLY because if you're trying to enter a code in IV while your being shot at, Niko puts his phone away if he gets hit. Annoying if you want to lower the wanted level.
I like V's more as well, though not by much. IV had some nice stations.

Honestly, I can't think of a single aspect of V that I don't consider superior to IV. V is just a much better game to me.
GTA IV had an awful 100% reward. Previous games (minus III) would give you infinite ammo among other things. IV would just remove the ammo cap limit. However, if you go over the cap, save, reload the game, it just gives you the capped ammo. You can still go over but you lose the excess.

San Andreas had the best cheats. With the regen health system in V many cheats seem unecessary to me now maybe that's why. But limiting god mode is just awful.

Sora_N

So how decent is the PS3 version? I can get a new copy for $20 and I'm very tempted since it would be cheaper than buying the PS4 version. Just seeing how Kojima praised it makes me want to give this game a try. I'm not a huge GTA fan.

My short history with GTA and open-world games...I borrowed Vice City from a friend when it came out and didn't really get into it. All I remember was the awesome music.

I got GTA4 for $5 from my old job 3-4 years ago, I installed it twice but my PS3 has only 120gb HD so I never ended up playing it.

Should I just give GTA4 a go first? I don't own other ones.

I've also played Sleeping Dogs for 2 hours but I borrowed the game so I didn't really finish it, I did enjoy the city and the driving though.

Lastly I don't think I'm a very picky gamer, I think I can barely tell 30fps from 60fps or whatever so I don't think that would be a big factor. I'm just tempted to get it on PS4 because it would be pretty definitive I think.

Raptomex

So how decent is the PS3 version? I can get a new copy for $20 and I'm very tempted since it would be cheaper than buying the PS4 version. Just seeing how Kojima praised it makes me want to give this game a try. I'm not a huge GTA fan.

My short history with GTA and open-world games...I borrowed Vice City from a friend when it came out and didn't really get into it. All I remember was the awesome music.

I got GTA4 for $5 from my old job 3-4 years ago, I installed it twice but my PS3 has only 120gb HD so I never ended up playing it.

I've also played Sleeping Dogs for 2 hours but I borrowed the game so I didn't really finish it, I did enjoy the city and the driving though.

Lastly I don't think I'm a very picky gamer, I think I can barely tell 30fps from 60fps or whatever so I don't think that would be a big factor. I'm just tempted to get it on PS4 because it would be pretty definitive I think.
IV is good but don't take the chance of it leaving a terrible aftertaste for you because the series overall is amazing. I enjoy IV but many people don't. Start with V. I wouldn't call it a "reboot" of the series but all the mechanics feel "fresh". With that said the gameplay in V is the best in the series. Stories are subjective but I enjoyed it. I'm easy to please and enjoyed all the GTA storylines.

I have both the 360 and PS3 versions and the PS3 version is fine. I haven't beaten that version. Only because after I 100% completed it on 360 I wasn't in the mood to do it all again. I just wanted to fuck around the world. But it plays fine for me.

I'm going to get the PS4, XBone, and PC versions when they come out but I'd probably recommend waiting for those just for a smoother experience and more detail. From the looks of it the next gen versions will be definitive.

lush

I have to disagree ONLY because if you're trying to enter a code in IV while your being shot at, Niko puts his phone away if he gets hit. Annoying if you want to lower the wanted level.
Yeah, I can definitely understand that. It was pretty clunky looking back, just hate having to look up and punch in the codes. If I were younger I'm sure I'd have remembered them by now.

Fjordson

The PS3 version is fine, but I would strongly recommend waiting for the PS4 version. Not just because of the FPS increase. Things like increased pedestrian count and more traffic. Will just make the world feel more alive I think. And while the last gen versions look impressive, there are a lot of jaggies on objects in the distance. Something that'll be smoothed over on the new consoles.

The cheap PS3/360 price would be a good deal, but this is a massive game with tons of content. Super easy to recommend it at $60.

As for GTA IV, I loved it when it came out and still appreciate it, but it's six years old and you can tell when playing it I think. Especially after they've improved on basically everything with GTA V.

I would get V first and if you enjoy that then it wouldn't hurt to go back and play IV. It's dated in areas, but it still has some signature R* qualities. Amazing city, good soundtrack, sharp dialogue with great voice acting, top notch driving, etc.

How is V compared to IV directing wise? It feels like they took a bit of step forward with this game, with the music aswell and maybe with the characters too.

Thinking about it makes me want alot more.

I'm currently about 25 hours in, and I feel like the pacing and progression of the game is much better than GTAIV ever was. I found that game a real drag, the characters very dour on the whole and the missions quite tedious. Missions in GTAV are much much more fun (a lot more varied, crazy and the three character swapping dynamic adds a lot of variety), and the three different personalities also makes things a lot more likeable as far as the story goes in my opinion. You've got Michael who is addicted to the criminal lifestyle but also loathes it, Franklin who wants to better himself and get out of the rut that is the 'Hood' and Trevor who is a grade A psychopath who loves to murder and cause chaos, but also provides a hell of a lot of good comedy.

V is a BILLION GAZILLION ZOMBILLION times better than IV. Everything is better; simply everything.

Yeah, I'd pretty much agree with this.

I don't doubt that 90% of people will have this option but that doesn't mean it's right.

There are many, many things IV does better.

Theme
Score
Characterization
City Design
Plot
Soundtrack

Both have tradeoffs for what they were trying to accomplish but let's not be silly here.

• Theme - do you mean theme as in premise? I think it's debatable which is better really. Both games are ultimately about the lie that is the American Dream.
  • Score - I haven't particularly enjoyed the soundtrack in either game, so I can't really comment on this.
  • Characterisation - I agree that Nico is probably slightly better characterised overall, although I didn't really like him as I found him so goddamn bleak. Same reason I didn't like Max Payne in MP3; I want some levity in my games, and I didn't enjoy the tone of GTAIV.
  • City design - again, I think this is completely subjective. Liberty City is certainly bigger than Los Santos, but then there are also two small towns, deserts, oceans and mountains to explore. For the variety alone I think San Andreas is easily a more interesting and enjoyable environment.
  • Plot - I found GTAIV's plot between Nico and Darko to be pretty interesting, although it wasn't really at the forefront of most of the game. I grew tired of dealing with the various Mafia families, as they all blurred into one after a while, and I don't recall who was supposed to be the villain or why in the end up. I recall playing the final mission way back in 2009 or whenever and not knowing which faction or family I was supposed to be against or what the stakes were. I'm not sure where GTAV is going yet, so I can't really comment on that yet.
  • Soundtrack - okay, having already written the above under score, I don't really know what you mean. Are you separating both games' original soundtrack and licensed soundtrack? I honestly do not recall the original soundtrack in GTAIV at all, assuming that's what you mean.

Anyway, aside from all that I came in to say how much I've been enjoying this. According to the stats I've done almost 10 hours as Trevor and almost 8 hours as both Michael and Franklin. Narratively, I currently have
Trevor and Michael exiled from the city after Trevor kidnapped Patricia (is that right?) Madrazo
, and I'm taking my time with everything, soaking up environments, doing the side missions (when the character shows up as a red or blue blip on the map) and just discovering stuff. I think the mission design is absolutely leaps and bounds ahead of GTAIV, largely because of the multi-character dynamic. The heists are terrific fun, and I loved the mission where you had to
execute Madrazo's cousin by shooting the engine on the plane
as Michael,
and then track it as it crashed to the ground
as Trevor. It's just brilliant in almost every regard, and has seriously exceeded my expectations. I love just messing around in the gameworld, and the physics are so incredible. Last night as I was landing a helicopter a bird hit the rotors, died immediately and flew off sideways. Just little details like that make it feel so consistent and incredible.

GRW810

The random stuff in this game, there's so much of it, and it's all glorious.

Between missions I decided to fly around LS in a helicopter as Trevor. Just randomly seeing the sights, as you do. Passed over the wind farm and noticed a truck parked, so I descended to investigate.

As I got close to landing I hear something like "our special spot had been found." Two guys, both not wearing trousers, get out and start shooting at me.

This wasn't a mission. There was absolutely no need for this to happen in the game, yet it did.

Also, lol at having to actually control Michael mopping floors in the bureau!

Did Michael's side-mission last night where I had to
go diving for the pieces of the broken submarine.
Man, the underwater environment is so incredible; it's so peaceful and colourful and the lighting is just outstanding. It might be my favourite part of the game so far. I've encountered two sharks while underwater, and both were interested in me but neither attacked. I really like how they stayed close, but didn't attack. Made me feel kind of respectful of nature.

SJRB

Gold Member
Man, the underwater environment is so incredible; it's so peaceful and colourful and the lighting is just outstanding. It might be my favourite part of the game so far. I've encountered two sharks while underwater, and both were interested in me but neither attacked. I really like how they stayed close, but didn't attack. Made me feel kind of respectful of nature.

I just wish the sub moved a little faster.

My favorite mission outside of the heists was the jet ski one with Michael's daughter.

I don't know why, felt really fun.

I must say, that was the only water mission I enjoyed from memory.

rataplein

My favorite mission outside of the heists was the jet ski one with Michael's daughter.

I don't know why, felt really fun.

I must say, that was the only water mission I enjoyed from memory.

it blew my mind when with michael you have tu jump from the pier to the sea, and he gets in a perfect diving position, and suddenly you are underwater, seeing an amazing underwater bottom, full of life and colors.

GRW810

It shocked me this morning to discover some of the submarine parts don't require the scuba suit to retrieve. Particularly on the south of the map, around the port, you can just dip under the water. Surprised how many where so close together, got about fifteen now.

Fjordson

it blew my mind when with michael you have tu jump from the pier to the sea, and he gets in a perfect diving position, and suddenly you are underwater, seeing an amazing underwater bottom, full of life and colors.
That was a pretty great moment. Loved that mission.

Speaking of the ocean, I love the jetskis in this game. I think partially because they took the time to have actual sets of waves, instead of just having the ocean be a mostly flat surface.

Daria

Finally finished the main missions after taking a couple month break. I was really kinda disappointed by the ending by
picking the death wish option and saving Michael and Trevor.
I mean it gives me more to be completed later on when I'm exploring but I felt there just could've been more to really tie it together for what to be expected now.

SJRB

Gold Member
Finally finished the main missions after taking a couple month break. I was really kinda disappointed by the ending by
picking the death wish option and saving Michael and Trevor.
I mean it gives me more to be completed later on when I'm exploring but I felt there just could've been more to really tie it together for what to be expected now.

Yeah the ending is pretty bad. It makes zero sense for it to be a
three-choice option anyway, there's no reason whatsoever to kill either of them. I mean, Trevor is kind of an asshole but from a narrative perspective Franklin has no reason to take him down

Things get wrapped up pretty nicely though, albeit a bit "by the numbers".

Rolling around the Grand Senora Desert or East Los Santos, going ironman esque death=game over with auto-aim and HUD off for interface-less immersion amidst sand dunes and oil derricks, full gerry beard Trevor with the Madrazo baller (the only way I can even picture Trevor now) leading M and F full trio Three Kings style in a gwagon or in a jag, starting hour-long countryside police chases and gang wars...

And when it's over, M and F both randomly steal their own jags too and you exit the area in matching masks and cars. Random surprises like that or random fluff done not for points or stats but just for immersion. Basically, the type of that shit that makes you want to always wear a mask before you rob a convenience store even though you don't have to and both are pointless or dress up like an RonOil man scouting oil derricks as your cover when scouting your convoy ambush location, or you restart the game if you die and avoid openly breaking laws so you have a single 'canon continuity' where it's believable that you are alive and not in jail...

That's about the only gaming I've done for almost a year now... Bearded CEO of Trevor Phillips Industries.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Rolling around the Grand Senora Desert or East Los Santos, going ironman esque death=game over with auto-aim and HUD off for interface-less immersion amidst sand dunes and oil derricks, full gerry beard Trevor with the Madrazo baller (the only way I can even picture Trevor now) leading M and F full trio Three Kings style in a gwagon or in a jag, starting hour-long countryside police chases and gang wars...

And when it's over, M and F both randomly steal their own jags too and you exit the area in matching masks and cars. Random surprises like that or random fluff done not for points or stats but just for immersion. Basically, the type of that shit that makes you want to always wear a mask before you rob a convenience store even though you don't have to and both are pointless or dress up like an RonOil man scouting oil derricks as your cover when scouting your convoy ambush location, or you restart the game if you die and avoid openly breaking laws so you have a single 'canon continuity' where it's believable that you are alive and not in jail...

That's about the only gaming I've done for almost a year now... Bearded CEO of Trevor Phillips Industries.

Your commitment to verisimilitude is impressive. Don't you die all the time with autoaim off though? This game just isn't tuned for free aim properly, the AI is far far too accurate. Do you do a lot of blind firing from behind cover?

I was going for gold medals on all the missions but the Merriweather heist has glitched out on me, won't save my accuracy score even when I get 100%. I kinda really want to have golded the whole game but I don't really want to have to play that other 1/4 of it all over again. Sigh.

Your commitment to verisimilitude is impressive. Don't you die all the time with autoaim off though? This game just isn't tuned for free aim properly, the AI is far far too accurate. Do you do a lot of blind firing from behind cover?
Cover is life. Almost impossible to survive in the open without cover or special abilities. I wouldn't say I do a lot of blind firing, at least to the extent that it feels unreasonable or cheesy, but I'll certainly use it a decent amount. I've also been playing the game non-stop since release -- about 6 playthroughs and a few hundred hours free roaming -- so I've become... better, I suppose. I remember that one
hospital escape
mission used to give me so much trouble my first couple playthroughs. Killed left and right anytime I left cover. I feel I do pretty good now though and have far higher accuracy. I tweak my aiming sensitivity speed a lot and it helps with accuracy a lot. But cover is still essential. Only way I could recommend using free aim is if you enjoy cover shoots and if you experiment with aim sensitivity and crosshair speed.

The gunplay is a lot of fun as a cover shooter, anyhow, in my opinion but never very fun as either a run-and-gun or auto-aim shooter. So even if it is more difficult using free aim and slower to always use cover, I think it's more fun. I've had a lot more 'Heat' moments, if I can use that as a description to try convey a feeling while hoping it doesn't sound too cliche.

Got back into this over the weekend after a looooong break.

Sad to learn I missed out on that Monster Truck - it was about the only thing I'd requested back on launch that the game needed! Bummer.

Spent a lot of time just stuffing around, but ended up doing a few side missions with Michael that I'd not seen before, including starting the Kifflam thing - just got my robes haha..

lush

Watched it before it went down, looked like new planes, sports cars, bikes, military clothing, patriotic parachutes, and new flight specific missions(shows landing helicopter on trailer of truck, flying between planes and bridges). Alot of military stuff.

Looks cool.

Does anybody know whether this stuff will cross over to GTAV when it comes to PS4/X1? Also, is this content available in the SP mode as well? I have no interest grinding in GTAV to buy one of those planes, but have millions in SP mode and wouldn't mind trying them.

Looks cool.

Does anybody know whether this stuff will cross over to GTAV when it comes to PS4/X1? Also, is this content available in the SP mode as well? I have no interest grinding in GTAV to buy one of those planes, but have millions in SP mode and wouldn't mind trying them.
From what I know, All content will be transferred over to the next gen versions of the game.
And the the MP content has been either free or buyable in Single Player before so this one should be no exception.

Fjordson

Looks cool.

They haven't said anything about all this in regards to the next gen versions.

I hope it does. I don't have much interest in GTA online either, but some of this post-launch stuff showing up in the base game on next gen would be sweet.

Is it too late at this point to start into GTA Online?

I think I put like 20mins total into Online back when I was playing on release.

Is it easy to boost now, or have those holes all been plugged?

Is it too late at this point to start into GTA Online?

I think I put like 20mins total into Online back when I was playing on release.

Is it easy to boost now, or have those holes all been plugged?

As easy as ever to boost. And the game is just as tedious and un-GTA like as it was in April.

Top Bottom