• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Fjordson

You guys think they could coincide the next gen versions with the DLC release? Release the DLC for PS3 and 360, but also include it in a complete GOTY edition for PS4 and Xbox One? I'm absolutely gonna double dip if that happens.

Same. I'm really hoping for action based side missions. I know I sound like a broken record but I'll say it again. There's no reason single player can't have a heist side mission that you can do whenever.

- Choose from a list of places to rob.
- Choose your crew
- Maybe some prep
- Perform the heist

There's so much potential.

Me and a friend talked about exactly this earlier today. That would be really awesome if that happened. As of now the only way to make any sort of big money after completing the missions is the stock market which sucks. That golf course is like a pipe dream at this time.

Me and a friend talked about exactly this earlier today. That would be really awesome if that happened. As of now the only way to make any sort of big money after completing the missions is the stock market which sucks. That golf course is like a pipe dream at this time.

Yeah, they screwed up property ownership and accumulating wealth pretty hard. The only way to accumulate a vast amount of wealth is to game the stock market or put all of your money into 5 missions on the stock market, it's poorly designed.

You can tell property ownership was tagged on there... because the payoff/reward system just isn't balanced at all. I calculated it out a while ago and for even the cheapest, crappiest properties, it would take like 2 years of playing every day for 2 hours a day (like 600+ hours) just to make back your initial investment... of $85,000.

Take for instance buying Los Santos Customs with Franklin:
Cost: $350,000
Weekly Payout:: $1600
Number of in-game weeks to make back initial investment: 219
1 Week in GTAV = 5.6 real like hours (7 * 48 / 60)
Total real life playing time to make back investment: 1226 Hours.

FOR ONE PROPERTY. One lousy property. 1,226 hours. Just to make back your initial investment. If you wanted to double your investment? It's 2,500 hours. That would take playing GTA every day, 7-days a week, two hours a day, for THREE AND A HALF YEARS. If you started today, you could double your investment by January 1, 2018, but only if you play two hours a day, every day.

How it should be done:
- Each property should give you ~10 missions or so. Even if they're glorified fetch quests. As you complete those missions, the pay doubles for your property at a set rate. Let's say:

So, first payout starts at $1000/in-game-week. You do a mission and it doubles to $2,000/week, and then you do 2 missions getting gradually more difficult, and it boosts up to $4,000. Finally, after, say, 10 missions, this one crappy property evens off at $30,000 or $40,000 week. That way, you make your investment back by interacting with the property, and it gives you cash that you an then use to buy another property. You can stagger the wealth by making certain properties only available at certain times.
Also, each property should have a unique perk that should unlock once you do some specific mission with the property. For instance, the Blaine County airfield could enable you to load bombs onto one of those airplanes to use in non-missions.

You could also wrap a loose story around each property: Maybe instead of going up to the Hen House in Paleto Bay or whatever it is and just "buying it" and getting a text from the manager, you stage a small mission where you blackmail the former owner ... And pressure him into selling you the property. Or, with the drug running base, you take it over from another gang and the storyline behind that has the other gang trying to take it back... Your profits growing every time you attack their drug/immigrant ring (which is similar to how those drug runner missions work as it is, except there is virtually no reward).

Finally, you should be able to interact with your property in some way. I was really disappointed to buy the Hen House then realize I couldn't go inside of it.. or interact with it in any way. It's like... what point does this property even serve?

It's a bummer that they didn't think these missions through... Because there's a lot of opportunity there. But, I think they just tacked them on to add them to the game.

Raptomex

Yeah, really. I hope the DLC introduces new ways to make big money.

Fjordson

Apparently analysts are saying that GTA V is approaching 2 billion dollars in retail sales. Mother of god.

Will we start to see a contraction of sales for GTA VI? Surely it can't keep going up and up like this.

Raptomex

So I finally said "fuck it" and used the horizon program to max out all my money for each character. When I played the game at launch BAWSAQ was always down anyway. I never found any legitimate ways to earn millions other than the stock market and each guide I find online goes over the assassination missions. I'm not re-playing the entire game again. At least not yet. I already have 100% and I just wanted buy all the damn properties.

Ilúvatar

Hey guys, I really haven't touched the game much since I beat it the first time - am I correct in thinking that heists have STILL not made it into GTO?

Apparently analysts are saying that GTA V is approaching 2 billion dollars in retail sales. Mother of god.

Will we start to see a contraction of sales for GTA VI? Surely it can't keep going up and up like this.
GTA V might be a bit unique with it coming at the end on the longest console generation that had a massive install base by that time.

To think they're surely going to add a few more million copies when the inevitable next gen/PC release hits.

Omni

Ilúvatar;112466155 said:
Hey guys, I really haven't touched the game much since I beat it the first time - am I correct in thinking that heists have STILL not made it into GTO?
Yes. Haha.

I dislike this psycho bullshit that they've added. Does it go away after a while? Everyone in the game is just red. Makes it even harder to get people to play nice when they're all shooting on sight because of it

ChapaNDJ

Banned
So, is there any way to make some good cash after you beat the SP?
I'm really having a hard time trying to get money to buy some of the properties that i still have yet to own.

So, is there any way to make some good cash after you beat the SP?
I'm really having a hard time trying to get money to buy some of the properties that i still have yet to own.

You'll need to invest in Bawsaq. Look for the lower priced stocks that fluctuate in value. Buy low and sell high.

Stocks to watch:

Badger
Burgerfahrzeug
Crevis
Grain of Truth
Hawk and Little
Shark
Tinkle
Vapid
Whiz

Finally got around to playing this last week and I'm now looking at buying it. I'll order it online tomorrow from work, but I also found on Tesco that the official guide is only £7. Has anyone here used it, and is it worth picking up too? I'm not going to spoil the missions or story or whatever, but seeing as the game's bound to be full of quirks and secrets I'm thinking maybe the guide would be worthwhile in this instance. Any opinions would be most welcome.

SJRB

Gold Member
Finally got around to playing this last week and I'm now looking at buying it. I'll order it online tomorrow from work, but I also found on Tesco that the official guide is only £7. Has anyone here used it, and is it worth picking up too? I'm not going to spoil the missions or story or whatever, but seeing as the game's bound to be full of quirks and secrets I'm thinking maybe the guide would be worthwhile in this instance. Any opinions would be most welcome.

I wouldn't really know what added value a guide would get you, there are many videos and online guides available all over the place in regards to the collectables and unlockables.

belushy

Banned
Finished it a few hours ago (the main mission.) I enjoyed it. Haven't really done any side missions at all. Kind of blew through the main mission. Looking forward to getting into the online. Is it annoying to play alone? Like, will I get jumped from other people all the time, or are people pretty cool?

lem0n

Finished it a few hours ago (the main mission.) I enjoyed it. Haven't really done any side missions at all. Kind of blew through the main mission. Looking forward to getting into the online. Is it annoying to play alone? Like, will I get jumped from other people all the time, or are people pretty cool?

The people fucking suck online. I usually do closed friend only lobbies to mess about alone and boost my money. Then when a buddy gets online we party up. They added a "sanity meter" so that you can tell the toxic players from the normal ones, the dicks are a red dot online rather than a white one.

Ended up buying this from Tesco, and I had one voucher and a bunch of money off codes so it only cost me £7.50. I need to finish Dragon's Dogma in the next few days by which time this should arrive. Look forward to giving it a proper whirl. I've played it up until a couple of missions after
Michael pulls down the hillside house
, but feel like I barely scratched the surface of exploring the city.

Just received this today and it's currently installing on my PS3. A question though; the two times I've tried downloading update version 1.14 it's just crashed my console to a black screen with no way to shut down besides flicking the off switch. Anyone know of this? Mine is an original phat 80gb console.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just received this today and it's currently installing on my PS3. A question though; the two times I've tried downloading update version 1.14 it's just crashed my console to a black screen with no way to shut down besides flicking the off switch. Anyone know of this? Mine is an original phat 80gb console.

I remember this happening at the earlier stages when the game was just released, the patch would interfere with the initial loading screens of the game [the Rockstar logo and stuff].

I thought they fixed that, but apparantly not. You can try to wait with pressing X on the update until the first title screens are over [the Rockstar police siren stuff].

Maddocks

Don't click on "OK" for the update till the sirens end. If you do it before they end, it locks up the system.

Thanks guys. I'm guessing the patch auto-downloaded overnight because when I tried again earlier it didn't even give me the option any more. I managed to play for a while regardless as I declined the patch and just got on with it. One more question though - is the iFruit app worth checking out? I'll need to make some room on my phone, but if it's worthwhile I'll give it a whirl.

Maddocks

I installed it to max out a car for free and add a custom plate. Then uninstalled it because it was pretty much useless for me.

SJRB

Gold Member
Thanks guys. I'm guessing the patch auto-downloaded overnight because when I tried again earlier it didn't even give me the option any more. I managed to play for a while regardless as I declined the patch and just got on with it. One more question though - is the iFruit app worth checking out? I'll need to make some room on my phone, but if it's worthwhile I'll give it a whirl.

It's hot garbage, haha. I'm pretty sure the app is satire just like GTAV is satire in many ways. There's a choice to customize your vehicle through the app [why would you?] and there is a tamagochi-style "game" where you need to take care of Chop the dog, which is tedious in many ways and gets you nothing other than a different collar for Chop to wear.

The install size is huge and you literally gain nothing from it.

UrbanRats

You guys think they could coincide the next gen versions with the DLC release? Release the DLC for PS3 and 360, but also include it in a complete GOTY edition for PS4 and Xbox One? I'm absolutely gonna double dip if that happens.

I hope so.

R* last gen has been releasing roughly, one game a year, from one of their many studios.

2006 TableTennis/Bully
2007 Manhunt 2
2008 Midnight CLub LA/GTAIV
2009 GTAIV Episodes
2010 RDR
2011 LA Noire
2012 Max Payne 3
2013 GTAV

I figured this year they won't have much, and concentrate on GTAV's content, since it's such a massive game for them, it's understandable, plus they probably expected GTAO to go better than it did, for 2014.
I think they could fill this with the release of a singleplayer DLC which they said it's in the works, whether or not they will include it in the current gen port depends on how much they'll want to milk their audience.

Similarly to 2009, when their major release was an expansion for GTAIV.
And hopefully next year, in 2015, we'll get RDR2, since it will have been 5 years since the first entry.

Fjordson

I hope so.

R* last gen has been releasing roughly, one game a year, from one of their many studios.

2006 TableTennis/Bully
2007 Manhunt 2
2008 Midnight CLub LA/GTAIV
2009 GTAIV Episodes
2010 RDR
2011 LA Noire
2012 Max Payne 3
2013 GTAV

I figured this year they won't have much, and concentrate on GTAV's content, since it's such a massive game for them, it's understandable, plus they probably expected GTAO to go better than it did, for 2014.
I think they could fill this with the release of a singleplayer DLC which they said it's in the works, whether or not they will include it in the current gen port depends on how much they'll want to milk their audience.

Similarly to 2009, when their major release was an expansion for GTAIV.
And hopefully next year, in 2015, we'll get RDR2, since it will have been 5 years since the first entry.
Interesting. I mean, if I'm being honest, I'm not sure I'll be able to resist a PS4 version for long (since I'll probably grab that Destiny bundle in September) but having some new DLC as part of the package would be pretty sweet.

AmyS

I hope that the PS4 version includes all of the DLC released up until that point, assuming they release any before the PS4 release.

I certainly hope so too.

I'd like to be able to make a single, $59.99 purchase at retail for the PS4 GTA V Blu-Ray that includes all the DLC released up to October 2014 or when ever the PS4 version comes out.

GRW810

Finally got round to replacing my faulty disc and I'm enjoying being back in San Andreas.

As someone who spends far too much time in this game wandering off the beaten track in search of easter eggs and other quirks, accidentally stumbling across the No Country For Old Men scenario earlier was a real joy. I've read about it before but I wanted to genuinely find it naturally one day. The Thelma and Louise one is cool too, yet to see that in my game though.

That's what I love about this game; there's so much going on that doesn't even really need to be in there, yet it is anyway. I came across a police shootout outside a motel today too. Really makes the world feel lived in.

It's hot garbage, haha. I'm pretty sure the app is satire just like GTAV is satire in many ways. There's a choice to customize your vehicle through the app [why would you?] and there is a tamagochi-style "game" where you need to take care of Chop the dog, which is tedious in many ways and gets you nothing other than a different collar for Chop to wear.

The install size is huge and you literally gain nothing from it.

Yeah, I tried it out for the car customisation stuff, and it is pretty awful. The Chop the Dog stuff is very shit, but I'm convinced it's deliberately bad too as you get all kinds of pop ups in the notification bar, saying inane stuff like "Chop has done a poo. Clean it up!" It's an active satire of other bad mobile apps, but I'm not sure whether in copying what they do it's clever satire or is just as bad as they are.

This game is so impressive. I don't know what technical wizardry Rockstar unearthed during development, but I'm constantly in awe of small details, like the way everything casts a consistent shadow, reflections are in real-time, characters get sweaty backs if they run too far, the way the roads become shiny and reflective if it rains, and so on. The atmosphere and immersion it creates is amazing. And then there's the mission design, which is so much more fun than GTA IV that it feels incomparable. The bank heist was incredibly fun and exhilarating, and then there are missions like Fame or Shame where Trevor & Michael chased Lazlow in a huge lorry, or chasing Michael's boat down the freeway, or shooting all of The Lost at the airfield. It's just really well designed and feels a lot more vibrant and interesting than the previous game and its episodes. And then there's the character performances which are amazing. I hate Trevor, but at the same time I kind of like him too. The scene where Trevor met back up with Michael at his house was incredible; you could cut the tension with a knife.

Really impressed so far, and initially I was sceptical as I wasn't find of IV and I disliked both episodes. This is vastly superior in every regard.

Fjordson

This game is so impressive. I don't know what technical wizardry Rockstar unearthed during development, but I'm constantly in awe of small details, like the way everything casts a consistent shadow, reflections are in real-time, characters get sweaty backs if they run too far, the way the roads become shiny and reflective if it rains, and so on. The atmosphere and immersion it creates is amazing. And then there's the mission design, which is so much more fun than GTA IV that it feels incomparable. The bank heist was incredibly fun and exhilarating, and then there are missions like Fame or Shame where Trevor & Michael chased Lazlow in a huge lorry, or chasing Michael's boat down the freeway, or shooting all of The Lost at the airfield. It's just really well designed and feels a lot more vibrant and interesting than the previous game and its episodes. And then there's the character performances which are amazing. I hate Trevor, but at the same time I kind of like him too. The scene where Trevor met back up with Michael at his house was incredible; you could cut the tension with a knife.

Really impressed so far, and initially I was sceptical as I wasn't find of IV and I disliked both episodes. This is vastly superior in every regard.
Agreed on all counts (though I enjoyed the GTA IV episodes).

My only small gripe with the game is the talk radio. It feels shorter than past games. Am I crazy? It's probably not actually shorter and just feels that way, but I could swear I started hearing repeat segments quicker here than in GTA IV or San Andreas.

Ted

Anybody know some missions to get some good RP/Cash?

You're probably better off posting online questions in the GTAV:O community thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=718958

But that said, even post patch, Rooftop Rumble and Coveted are probably the quickest money/rp earners solo (they're not as easy as before but still very do-able solo).

Potshot is also a good alternative as it is super easy and quick and though it pays out less the time it takes to complete probably makes up for it.

If you don't want to grind co-op jobs, the Independence Day event this weekend (now-Sunday night) has double RP and money if you play the Independence Day weekend playlist (four jobs in total, first is a team death match, second is a capture the flag, third is a race with the new motor-bike, fourth is a race with the new monster truck).

Access it once you are online by going to the pause menu, selecting the Online tab and then playlists and finding the "Independence Day Event Weekend" playlist.

GRW810

Considering the gigantic size of the map and the fact they could be dotted absolutely anywhere, I've had pretty good success/luck finding letter scraps. Got 14/50 without looking at a guide. My endless wandering has really helped.

Today I was driving to a mission and decided to take a shortcut by flying off a mound of dirt in the hope it would cut out a chunk of the route. I didn't pick up enough speed and fell short, falling into a construction site. Literally right outside my driver's side window as I landed was a scrap. Couldn't believe it.

Having less success with the spaceship parts. Found one while wandering down an alley where there was some sort of market happening and one at the observatory. Other than that, nothing.

Sometimes I go way out of my way to a building or area that is really off the beaten track and not used in any part of the main game and there's no collectible there. Always astounds me.

rallaren

How is V compared to IV directing wise? It feels like they took a bit of step forward with this game, with the music aswell and maybe with the characters too.

Thinking about it makes me want alot more.

E92 M3

How is V compared to IV directing wise? It feels like they took a bit of step forward with this game, with the music aswell and maybe with the characters too.

Thinking about it makes me want alot more.

V is a BILLION GAZILLION ZOMBILLION times better than IV. Everything is better; simply everything.

OG Kush

Absolutely love this game, but its more of an adventure game.. the driving and exploration is so good.
YET, rockstar still fucked up the shooting mecahnics? I dont see how they could make shooting in this game so shit.. it actually kinda pisses me off. Saints Row and Sleeping dogs did open world shooting fine, don't see why GTA V couldnt pull it off.

V is a BILLION GAZILLION ZOMBILLION times better than IV. Everything is better; simply everything.
I don't doubt that 90% of people will have this option but that doesn't mean it's right.

There are many, many things IV does better.

Theme
Score
Characterization
City Design
Plot
Soundtrack

Both have tradeoffs for what they were trying to accomplish but let's not be silly here.

Raptomex

I don't really hate any GTA game and I do agree that V is better than IV but IV has some better elements.

- Vehicle damage. It was awesome in IV. It was nerfed in V.
- Villains. V had all kinds of villains and the story didn't really develop them all too well. Previous games, including IV had a defined antagonist.
- Vigilante missions. At least IV had these and we could go shoot shit up. Why it was removed in V is beyond me. As of now there's no real action based side missions in V that are semi-randomized but it's sill early. DLC can fix this hopefully.

I was going to add radio stations but after thinking about it I can't really decide. The talk stations really have taken a shit even though I do love Lazlow and with the exception of Vice City, I usually only listen to one or 2 music stations and both IV and Vs radio stations were just bad compared to the 3D era of games. I think I might like Vs better.

IVs talk radio is god tier.

GTA is a lot like some bands I listen to. When the lineup changes, the new guy is all of the sudden the greatest thing, and they like throwing the past guy under the bus.

Out of sight, out of mind, on a terrible and stupid scale.

Dead Man

I don't doubt that 90% of people will have this option but that doesn't mean it's right.

There are many, many things IV does better.

Theme
Score
Characterization
City Design
Plot
Soundtrack

Both have tradeoffs for what they were trying to accomplish but let's not be silly here.

LOLWUT?

Top Bottom