• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

pushBAK

Pretty disappointed about how the game doesn't do great with keeping track of my cars. For instance, the white car owned by Franklin is always around. When Franklin shows up on a mission, the white car is there, as if he used that car to get there. That's awesome, just wish it did that with my customized cars, or even cars I've purchased.

I bought a four-door vehicle, modded it, then drove it during the course of the mission. Parked it and got out to do whatever step of the mission I was on. Lost forever after that, wasn't in my garage, outside the house, or impounded. Nothing. Spent thousands of dollars on it. Very disappointing. Meanwhile that green motorcycle Franklin gets has been around time I've been playing, even through I've never actually driven that car myself.

If I've purchased a vehicle, I should be able to retrieve that vehicle at any time. It should be waiting for me in front of any house I'm occupying, just like Franklin's white car is, or Trevor's red truck.

This is easily the least linear game I've ever played. The variety of missions is astounding.Once you unlock character swapping, things get really interesting. Just keep at it.
Will do.

Am loving the hell out of all the characters, and the world itself is just pure open world immersion and gaming bliss. Its only the missions themselves that have felt constrained, but I'm still in the early going.

pringles

Does this game open up at all?

So far it feels like GTA4 in that I'm just going through the motions in missions. Do exactly this thing, and then do exactly this other thing, and then do exactly this other thing, and damn would you hurry up doing this exact thing? Oh, did you not do the thing exactly the way we wanted? You're dead now. Restart from checkpoint and this time do the exact thing we want you to do exactly this time, we're fucking serious.

I'm hoping I'm still in tutorial land because I'm not seeing the point of an open world brimming with options and life if the missions are going to play out so linearly.

Or am I doing it wrong?
I'm still pretty early on but there are definitely some open missions coming after you've gone through the first few hours. I particularly loved one of the early Trevor missions just because it allowed for multiple different approaches.

Then there's random events which can get really interesting. It's definitely much less linear than GTA IV.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hahaha, holy fuck. So it seems like the way the whole switching works is the most recent vehicle the character was driving is usually nearby. Guess what happened after I used the sub and left Trevor for a bit?

DaSvvSc.jpg

Fucking crazy bastard somehow drove it around and perfectly parked it. I'm not even sure if you're supposed to be able to use it.

Derrick01

Banned
Was at 0.79 when I just checked it out, put down the 25k I just found.

Fuck I'm out about $70 if that's the case. We need people to start buying whatever guns are made by them to raise the price. People just mass buying the stock is going to crash it more.

I just remembered that Watch_Dogs is coming out soon.

I kind of feel bad for it, now.

I don't. Maybe they'll stop re-making assassin's creed in every one of their open world games if this bombs.

ThisOne

Pretty disappointed about how the game doesn't do great with keeping track of my cars. For instance, the white car owned by Franklin is always around. When Franklin shows up on a mission, the white car is there, as if he used that car to get there. That's awesome, just wish it did that with my customized cars, or even cars I've purchased.

I bought a four-door vehicle, modded it, then drove it during the course of the mission. Parked it and got out to do whatever step of the mission I was on. Lost forever after that, wasn't in my garage, outside the house, or impounded. Nothing. Spent thousands of dollars on it. Very disappointing. Meanwhile that green motorcycle Franklin gets has been around time I've been playing, even through I've never actually driven that car myself.

If I've purchased a vehicle, I should be able to retrieve that vehicle at any time. It should be waiting for me in front of any house I'm occupying, just like Franklin's white car is, or Trevor's red truck.

It seems like saving cars has been a problem in every GTA since 3. Always glitchy and never seems to be reliable.

Not a fan of random fail states in missions even though some were hilarious.

Early mission where mike is out to get back his
boat
Frank was on the hood and a car flew at me clipping him straight off.

euphoria physics dayum.

Other times its been lame though like that mike mission on the jetskies. i touched land a teeny bit and i got a mission failed...

Failed the life invader one too because i somehow missed the instruction prompt and had to rewatch the whole thing again.

Lima

Alright "The Big Score" might just be the best thing I've ever played in a videogame. That shit was pure "Heat" style robbing. I'm so gonna replay this mission a ton of times.

Anyone know if you can upgrade everyone's "personal vehicle" in a garage and have the upgrades stay permanently?

Yes.

pringles

Yep this so far is my biggest annoyance. I thought my car would be safe if I had it in Franklin's garage (at his aunt's house, not the one you can buy), but no. One time after switching to Franklin the car was gone. The weirdest thing was the next time when I had again spent thousands on modding a beautiful Audi R8; I open my garage and a DIFFERENT car was there. A nice Ferrari-esque sportscar but still, it wasn't my modded car, it wasn't even a car I can recall using. So weird. Other times I've used cars and they've been around even after missions or after playing as other characters. Very inconsistant and irritating.

This could be easily solved by giving us a 'make this my default car' option or something. Make it so we can take our favorite car into a mission without worrying it will disappear for no reason.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Stupid fucking R* Social Club doesn't respect PSN names. Some inactive douche took mine.

Anyways... Looking forward to this online. Too many online trophies though.

Encountered a totally "No Country For Old Men"-esque random event. Sooooo good.

The little things is what makes this game shine. The AI is really something. Chased down a biker who had stolen a wallet and by the time I got back to the victim, he was on the phone with the cops and said "oh wait, the guy is coming back" and hung up. RS went the extra mile and then some.

Holy shit!!! Fuck man, this game is SO GOOD. I love stuff like this. You can't get much more immersive than GTA5. I love this game.

GQman2121

Banned
I just realized that if you go on the Social Site and select vehicles you can view which cars you currently have in your garages. I haven't had any issues yet, but it might be a good way to test if your cars are being stored properly if are having problems losing your rides.

Then don't do it?
The two preceding missions were about 5 minutes each. You have no way of knowing it's so long until you're about half way through and thinking "shit, 15 minutes in and this still isn't over?". At which point it would probably be a bigger waste of your time to not finish it since you're already so far gone.

Darkgran

I mentioned this before..

I love the game..but the swearing is really bugging me. I mean how many times can you say the F word.

Its a little ridiculous...

Yep, the way cars are handled doesn't make much sense.

I'm on my way to meet an NPC and along the way I find a nice Audi and jack it, and bring it to the meet. When the cut-scene ended the NPC was in my "standard" car, and while my new Audi was parked just a few feet away I couldn't seem to get the NPC to get into *that* car instead.

Also, is sleeping in bed the ONLY way to quit the game without losing progress? Last night I tried to head home to quit, which triggered another mission (at my front door) and a pretty lengthy one at that.

with the complex loading thing they got setup (have map cached on the harddrive, load stuff from disc), I expect this probably isn't an easy 'port' to pc. For what its worth I've haven't really had any issues with the framerate that affects gameplay outside of choppy framerate at high speeds tend to make me crash.

so kotaku said you can jack a 747? fucking great! gonna try that later.

Megasoum

Banned
Love the fact it's extremely easy and fluid to get on ladders now. So good.

Yeah I noticed that too in one of Trevor's missions.
The one in the port where you have to climb all the way to the top of the crane. I was basically holding A and forward and he went on the ladder then around 3 sets of stairs and another ladder without me doing anything. Works great.

Hellcrow

Anyone gone to Vinewood blvd? Got a random event
to help a celebrity to escape some paparazi, I think. I picked her up with the car, but suddenly she was all screaming and calling the cops. Maybe I ran someone over?

kris.

Banned
Woah, is that a real ad?

Dang, I feel bad for Ubisoft right now.

Well not really, I hate them and kinda hope the game tanks. But. That ad just seems kinda desperate.

ultron87

Also, is sleeping in bed the ONLY way to quit the game without losing progress? Last night I tried to head home to quit, which triggered another mission (at my front door) and a pretty lengthy one at that.

You can Quick Save on your phone as well. I'm not actually sure what the difference between that and saving at a bed is.

Alienous

Speaking of Assassin's Creed, and this is a completely different tangent, the melee system was so close to being simplistically great. For instance, I taunted a gang member, and he pulled out a knife, stuck it in my side, and killed me. Totally dynamically. But there are two main flaws, in my opinion.

1. No 'Knockout' state. In GTA IV, you could beat a person into submission. They would lay on the ground, holding themselves, usually shouting for help. In GTA V, they are either fighting or unconscious. Heck, probably dead. I've never seen a paramedic help up someone I've punched to the ground, unlike GTA IV.

2. The AI attacks one at a time, unless you stand right next to multiple people. It's disappointing, because two people give you a real run for your money. But most fist fights with multiple people end up as Assassin's Creed style counter attacks, because the AI refuses to be aggressive.

Pachimari

Hmm, if the cops are chasing me and I hide in some kind of alley out of sight but I'm within their cones on the map, will they automatically detect me even though I'm out of sight?

Afrodium

Banned
What is this bullshit? I just pumped $30,000 into a pimped out racing car for Franklin and saved it in his garage (the green one on the map, not the one at his house). After losing the race, I restarted it and I was placed in a different car. After I won the race, my custom car is not in the garage or the impound, and the car that it was replaced with is now in the garage.

This sucks. Now I don't want to customize a car again, even though I had a blast doing it. Did I do anything wrong?

ThisOne

Hmm, if the cops are chasing me and I hide in some kind of alley out of sight but I'm within their cones on the map, will they automatically detect me even though I'm out of sight?

Pretty sure if you're out of their line of sight, they won't detect you.

Alienous

No, they search the area they last saw you in. They split up to do it. You can dodge them individually. Sprinting creates noise, and draws them to your location.

Anyone got 5 stars yet? Do they send like tanks and shit?

I was in the city when I had five stars once.
I didn't see any tanks there, but there were plenty of FIB trucks. Absolutely brutal, couldn't get away.

In one of Trevor's missions in preparation for a heist he's setting up, I
broke into a military base to get a cargo helicopter. At four stars, I saw a tank rolling toward me as I flew off.

Top Bottom