• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

I'm playing as Trevor, attacking the
O'Neil farm
, seems like I killed everyone, but I don't know where to go next. There's a green marker on my map, but I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do

Fucking Trevor, man. Snap back to him to do some missions and he's on the top of a fucking mountain in the middle of nowhere, looking like this.

QoN77ak.jpg

I just LOLed and woke my gf

You're correct, but I do believe that the blimp still appears in the game, even if you don't enter the code to fly it.

Ah, yup, it hovers around Los Santos. You just can't commandeer it.

antitrop

I'm playing as Trevor, attacking the
O'Neil farm
, seems like I killed everyone, but I don't know where to go next. There's a green marker on my map, but I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do
I got kinda lost there, too.
You're supposed to go just slightly past the green marker inside the house, and there is a hallway that leads to the basement meth lab. That's where the guy is. Kill him, or even better... leave him alive and finish the mission with him chasing after you :)

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Was traveling all week and just got to pick this up tonight - put about two hours into it after doing the updates/install on PS3.

Very first thing I noticed is this framerate is terrible. I know, I know... I don't wanna be that guy, and I'm not saying it makes it a bad game. I understand the scope is grand and they sqeezed out what they could from the hardware. But jaggies everywhere and a framerate that seriously feels low 20s a good portion of the time is very distracting. Definitely seems like a step down from initial reveal and more recent videos.

That out of the way, the actual game is great so far. Loving the dialogue and the purposefully absurd "F-Word" count in the first 10 minutes. Franklin and his buddy are cracking me up. Gameplay has already been pretty varied. I've also added two songs to my Spotify I heard.

Def looking forward to GTA Online, too. This is obviously going to be a great sandbox.

So my only spoiler-ish question and I am pretty early in the game, just recently getting access to our boy Trevor.

So I'm cruising with Trevor around the highway and I get an ambient mission on the side of the highway of a
car that has crashed and is on fire. There is a girl there, Trevor picks her up and she says she doesn't want to go to the hospital or the police, and so Trevor teases out that she had just robbed a place, but her chums turned on her, car crashed, that's the deal. It sounds like Trevor is going to recruit her for a later heist, which I am happy about... But then a block before I get to her house in Sandy Shores, she dies in my car as part of the mission/story/thing. Admittedly, I was driving a camper which is very slow. Was there any way to save this character? Was it because I drove so slowly? Will a similar character come back or is she dead for ever?

Derrick01

Banned
Oh damn I managed to steal an armored truck and once the heat was gone I shot the doors open and got just under $8k. Almost tripled the amount of money I had on Mike in one lucky random act.

Now I can pay the $5k the (mission/event spoiler)
scientology cult knockoffs
want.

BFIB

Ha, oh man. Every time I switch to Trevor I am laughing at what he is doing.

Oh, and Flight School is done. The trick for the helicopter: Don't always keep the throttle buried. Its best to let off a little, and tip the nose of the heli to pick up speed. Rinse and repeat obviously changing altitude. Manged to gold it no problem after figuring that out.

So I took someone elses advice from the last thread.

360 version

Mandatory install is on HDD
Secondary disc is installed to USB 3.0 drive (Just bought this, $18 for 16GB, good drive)
Save files are on the 4GB of flash memory on the 360 (I did not do this, but will try it tomorrow).

Performance bumps to note:
- Noticeable performance increase. I am not an FPS junky but I noticed some drops in frames with the traditional install especially when driving fast in the wilderness; I played tonight and did not notice that nearly as much. Does the game still slow down at times? Sure, but not nearly as much.

- Textures loading: Haven't noticed anything usual, but I also didn't notice anything bad when playing.

- Pop-in: I used to notice texture and asset pop in. I do not notice it anymore.

OTher note worthy things:
- The game loads at least 50% faster
- The Google Earth type character switching is WAY faster, especially to start the game. When it first zooms in on your character from a save, it does it almost instantly.
- The in-game map loads about twice as fast. It still shows the spinning circle, but only for a second... Enough so that I don't worry about loading the map.

I'd recommend doing this. I'm not a huge performance or IQ junky, but I've noticed improvements.
Does it have to be usb 3.0?

george_us

Wow. Doing the mission where
you steal the planes full of weapons as Trevor.

Hol-ee SHIT this game is so gorgeous. I have no idea how Rockstar pulled this off.

Prologue

Anyway to aim the gun while in the car without shooting?

Play the stock market. Some missions won't tell you that they have stock connected to them, so you'll have to do research. Lester will give you the easy ones. Do that, then it's all Martha Stewart from there.

You can't bet on the stock dropping right?

Klocker

This game is so rich and detailed for an open world game, its fricking astounding.

It is going to spoil me. There is no way on of the next gen open world games can come close

Hell I could possibly forgo a next gen console just to keep playing this

eival

But if they made it a flash app like you recommend, then wouldn't that mean that they'd have to also put on the box "Requires a PC with Adobe Flash Version X installed to utilize all the greatest features!!"

What else do you need a computer for? All of the social club features? So, if you upload a photo from the game, OMG you can't view it without a computer... They better put a warning on the box that says "Requires $1200 Computer To Utiliize All Features of the Game." Oh, and you better have internet to go along with that computer or else you can't view your in game snap shots. So, not only do you need to put that note about requiring a computer, you have to announce on the box that you need $50/mo internet to utilize all features of the game.

It's also not equivalent to not being able to mod any car without the app because modifying cars is a seminally important part of the game. The Chop minigame on your iPhone is completely meaningless and useless and is more or less a 10 second distraction. I uninstalled it after downloading it and getting two notifications that Chop was thirsty... while I was sleeping. Trust me, you're not missing anything and it'll be out on Android and WP in a few weeks anyway.

laugh out loud at legal ramifications

Yeah, I -- for one -- wish that they delayed the most anticipated game of the year because an unannounced extremely minor "feature" was not supported on some mobile operating systems.

the activities of using the app isnt the issue, its the features it unlocks for him to do in the full game after you use it, which is the issue. but if you want him to find hidden stuff and everything else, you need to use the app... if you want to mod you car you can drive to any of the 10 or so shops around town and do so, the car app is nothing more than a convenient time saver so the next time you boot the game its already modded for you. but throwing the ball with chop or trying to take him on walks does nothing to his "happiness meter" and theres no way to train him, even tho it actually says "you can train chop" prior to the line that then talks about the app, insinuating that you can train him in the game, but using the app would be faster/easier, similar to the car app, but no. unless further into the story suddenly i get a new button prompt that trains him, right now its just throw the ball and then he goes an pees on a light pole and the game gives me the same popups about how "chop is bored, download this app to make him happy and train him, or else he'll forever be a useless aspect of the game"

and while you're laughing at the legal ramifications, go check the SEGA lawsuit in the UK. the same law that covered that issue, deals with this as well. but since "everyone in america owns a phone" a smart phone to be exact, clearly its no big deal and nothing will be done about it.

i just find it funny how you guys go crazy over the free to play market and microtransactions and everything else, but a game requiring you to spending hundreds of dollars on a specific brand of smartphone/device is the epitome of out of control "micro" transaction era in gaming and suddenly its "no big deal" just like all those other features in games pay-gated with on disc dlc and transactions are "no big deal" either, right? but you make a huge fuss over those and they dont come close to adding up to hundreds of dollars for the price of an ipad

Grisby

Fuck, I was following the blimp with a helicopter and it kept leading me into the ocean, then my helicopter started smoking, then crashed, now I'm stuck in the middle of the Pacific ocean. Fuck.

edit:And it's nighttime. The is fucking scary.
When I used the sub for the first time I was legit nervous. It was dark and the light was only going so far. Thought a giant whale might come get me or some shit man. Had to ascend to the surface.

Deep water levels freak me out in games. I love em' but they make me a bit nervous.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
So my only spoiler-ish question and I am pretty early in the game, just recently getting access to our boy Trevor.

So I'm cruising with Trevor around the highway and I get an ambient mission on the side of the highway of a
car that has crashed and is on fire. There is a girl there, Trevor picks her up and she says she doesn't want to go to the hospital or the police, and so Trevor teases out that she had just robbed a place, but her chums turned on her, car crashed, that's the deal. It sounds like Trevor is going to recruit her for a later heist, which I am happy about... But then a block before I get to her house in Sandy Shores, she dies in my car as part of the mission/story/thing. Admittedly, I was driving a camper which is very slow. Was there any way to save this character? Was it because I drove so slowly? Will a similar character come back or is she dead for ever?

You messed up you could save her and
have her as driver on heists

Wow. Doing the mission where
you steal the planes full of weapons as Trevor.

Hol-ee SHIT this game is so gorgeous. I have no idea how Rockstar pulled this off.
Yeah just did that mission. I think some wilderness vistas in this game are even more astounding than RDR. The size of the mountains are just incredible

SlickVic

I'm on 360 and I feel like I'm pretty observant with frame rates. I've hardly noticed any drops.

Yeah I don't recall any issues with the framerate on the PS3 either (still early in the game). Game runs quite smooth, and it seems R* spent a lot of time optimizing it.

Pyronite

Oh damn I managed to steal an armored truck and once the heat was gone I shot the doors open and got just under $8k. Almost tripled the amount of money I had on Mike in one lucky random act.

Now I can pay the $5k the (mission/event spoiler)
scientology cult knockoffs
want.

Are you the same dude who hates basically every other game?

You're not doing a good job critiquing this one.

Oh and holy shit, the lightning. Amazing, beautiful

This is the first GTA where I actually wanted to do the missions and follow the story. The characters, missions, and story are all the good, at least compared to other GTAs

naku

If you ride out on whatever the GTA version of Pacific Coast Highway is you'll eventually reach a restaurant called Hookies. That's actually based on a real place called Neptune's Net. They modeled it so faithfully that if you walk inside the locations of the doors are in the same places they are in real life.

neptunes-net.jpg

And thy have put the Mugu Rock right next to it in the game. In real life, the rock is a bit further down the road.

I finally have it! YES! YES! YES! After ages of watching streams and looking for new info and trailers, its in my hands. I know that I'm late but Amazon screwed up my shipping so its finally here. I'm really fucking excited to experience this world and its characters.

Tawpgun

While I love the added variety of Los Santos and Blaine County... I do miss how tight and packed Liberty City was. Maybe I need more time with the game but I could Navigate Liberty very well, but here I find it difficult.

Everything is so sprawled out, I kinda miss the looming buildings.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just completed all the flight school missions. Feel quite good with the flight controls but I need to work on the chopper a little more. The controls seem deeper but that means a steeper learning curve. I dig the flight controls though. I think you can maneuver much better in this than any other GTA game so the online should produce some significantly better dog fights.

Hurley

For those with the PS3 version, do you notice frame drops around Trevor's starting region? Such as the farms, woods, desert area etc?

Just wondering because although I don't mind the fps drops that much, every time I watch someone else play the ps3 version on youtube it always look like it's running smoother then mine lol

Dead Man

Play the stock market. Some missions won't tell you that they have stock connected to them, so you'll have to do research. Lester will give you the easy ones. Do that, then it's all Martha Stewart from there.

I try, but the stocks never move, and now I have bugger all money to make some profit with, I think Trev is down to about 50k now. Too much dying :(

As a primarily PC-focused gamer, I find the menus in this game to be exceptional. Very well thought out and elegant. Plenty of nice options (even the ability to disable the HUD! Love that!) and toggles to mess around with. A respectable level of customizability; I especially appreciate the ability to calibrate my 5.1 setup within the game.

Yeah, some good options, but being able to adjust each sound element should be a basic functionality. I don't have any 5.1 so I didn't realise they had options for that, cool.

That event will respawn even if she dies. Go back with a faster car and she will be available for your heist crew. She died on my first try too.

cackhyena

Silencers seem pointless since police appear anyways if you shoot someone and arent even seen
Except they aren't pointless. If you aren't shooting someone in front of people, you don't have to worry about it. Never had a star when I've capped a fool without witnesses.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
For those with the PS3 version, do you notice frame drops around Trevor's starting region? Such as the farms, woods, desert area etc?

Just wondering because although I don't mind the fps drops that much, every time I watch someone else play the ps3 version on youtube it always look like it's running smoother then mine lol

Oh there is frame drops but the game is surprisingly smooth and has never caused me to think it's awkward enough to hinder my enjoyment.

I'm running mine on disc and I just did a database rebuild before installing the game. I'm very impressed with everything considering where we've come from with the past games from Rockstar on PS3. They really did an amazing job.

I'm not sure if an SSD will affect performance so I can't comment on that.

Tonight I:

Played my first Trevor mission
Fuck you Rockstar! Killing Johnny like a bitch. ;__;

Played the mission where
You chase down Lazlow in the Semi. Holy shit I was dying laughing

Talk about peaks and valleys.

Retail PS3 version, and the game feels smooth for the most part. Yes i can see the framerate issues while driving and you can "feel" them when spinning the camera from a high vantage point, but it feels much smoother than GTAIV on the 360, or Red Dead Redemption in towns like Thieves Landing. I don't know if it's the lack of the blur/smear filter, but driving at speed is much, much nicer looking as well.

eival

But if they made it a flash app like you recommend, then wouldn't that mean that they'd have to also put on the box "Requires a PC with Adobe Flash Version X installed to utilize all the greatest features!!"

What else do you need a computer for? All of the social club features? So, if you upload a photo from the game, OMG you can't view it without a computer... They better put a warning on the box that says "Requires $1200 Computer To Utiliize All Features of the Game." Oh, and you better have internet to go along with that computer or else you can't view your in game snap shots. So, not only do you need to put that note about requiring a computer, you have to announce on the box that you need $50/mo internet to utilize all features of the game.

forgot this part, half those things are listed on the box

every PC game has a list of required and recommended list of hardware specs to run their games.

every box both console and PC will say if you need a high speed internet connection to play online

this game itself also had a new statement of needing 8 gigs of HDD space to install.

the rockstar social club is nothing more than a literal "social" aspect, to keep track of your in game stats and compare with friends, there is nothing in the game it impacts, outside of a few unlocks which you can access with any web browser, you could drive to the local library and use their free computer and internet access and sync your account to social club. its literally free and open source to anyone.

they could of made the apps available on the consoles themselves as you said, they have one coming to PS Vita(which is a joke) but not the actual PS3, they have one coming for WIndows Phones, but doesnt specify if that will then be on the 360 app marketplace as well.

bottomline is, they could of avoided all of this and just made a simple cheap facebook app that does the same exact things which could then be accessed on every phone/browser/device known to man, they already have a facebook integration aspect in the game menu, which again, is free to join and sign up and doesnt require you to have a specific device to access. but its not like this is just a timed exclusive feature, like preorders which always eventually come later in a DLC pack, you can garuntee the Blimp will be a $2 DLC in a few months, same with all those weapons that came with the Limited Editions.

but how are they going to do that with Chop, pay $2 and now its maxed out and fully trained? months after the game came out and you finished the story and probably went on IGN or even on Social Club itself which will show all the locations of things on the map? they put him on the cover of the boxart and made sure he was in the trailers as to make it seem like something they wanted you to notice as an obvious somewhat important aspect to the story and game experience "hey you got this dog you can take with you and find stuff around the map and attack people"...but only if you own a Playstation Vita

how bout make it availible on a Nintendo WiiU as well, that has apps too, and its essentially the same exact price as an iPad or iPhone and has the same usefulness to anyone who doesnt already own those products. none of those devices can actually play GTA 5 either so, why not a Wii U? oh Nintendo probably didnt pay Rockstar to be in on the app scheme, thats why.

Prompto

Banned
Fuck :( Early game and character appearance spoilers:
I told a friend about how I randomly encountered two people robbing a liquor store and how they wanted me to be the getaway driver so I killed them to try and be a good samaritan. He tells me that one of them was Packie from gta 4 and if I helped them, he becomes available to be a part of heists. I thought he was bullshitting but I look it up and it's true. I'm so bummed. Packie was my favorite character in 4. I'm seriously considering restarting the game to get him.

RDreamer

Man these rampages are hard...

I'm stuck on one where I need to get to 30 and I've made it to 29 about 5 times in a row now... fuuuuuu

Top Bottom