• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

eival

so its been a few days, why is there no headline about people talking about the legal ramifications of Rockstar requiring 3rd party devices(specifc types of phones) just to make things in the $60 game actually competent and useful since theres no way to actually train and gain access to all the abilities Chop the dog offers?

i know people in the UK have posted on the social club support section about actual government laws that prohibit that for all products.

the only response from Rockstar so far is that they're working on fixing the iphone app itself, but no actual acknowledgment to just making it a basic flash app any web browser can run and access and utilize. besides the fact it should of been in the game to begin with and doesnt state anywhere on the box that "in order to actually use all the features of this game you'll need these specific phones"

same goes for the license plate feature as well, but the majority of car mods can be done in the game, the Chop training feature is equivalent to being unable to mod any car WITHOUT that app.

I managed to get under the ground while jumping onto the subway tracks. I just jumped into a raling and press B to flip onto the ground. What's even funnier is how I get myself out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-kiQmA3q5k

Check this out. I just came across a GHOST!
IGN:
10/10 game - Masterpiece
(Game not finished and multiplayer isn't available. Still though, 10/10 though for a non-complete game).

Ignore
GTA V's
Negatives

so its been a few days, why is there no headline about people talking about the legal ramifications of Rockstar requiring 3rd party devices(specifc types of phones) just to make things in the $60 game actually competent and useful since theres no way to actually train and gain access to all the abilities Chop the dog offers?

i know people in the UK have posted on the social club support section about actual government laws that prohibit that for all products.

the only response from Rockstar so far is that they're working on fixing the iphone app itself, but no actual acknowledgment to just making it a basic flash app any web browser can run and access and utilize. besides the fact it should of been in the game to begin with and doesnt state anywhere on the box that "in order to actually use all the features of this game you'll need these specific phones"

same goes for the license plate feature as well, but the majority of car mods can be done in the game, the Chop training feature is equivalent to being unable to mod any car WITHOUT that app.

man you must have really hated the chaos in the sonic games for dreamcast

Zeliard

oh shit, it was them? Completely forgot all about them.

I liked the moment when you switch to Trevor's character - and it was scripted so I'm sure everyone eventually sees it - and you see him
throwing a biker over a ledge to the underpass. Then you turn around and there's a Lost truck just sitting there
. Trevor = #1 fan of the Lost.

I really like those little moments when you switch to another character and get some little scene, because they do an effective job of throwing you right at the end of it so you form the build-up in your own head. They can work really well as small bits of characterization, both the scripted cut-scene style jumps as well as the more random "out in the world" ones.

There was an early one with Michael where you jump to him when he's (very light spoiler)
getting up from bed while his clearly unhappy wife lays there sullen, and no words are exchanged, nor did they have to be
. The body language said it all.

You MUST play this game with headphones. The sound design in this game is the best I've ever heard and with a descent pair of headphones?

Breathtaking.

doby

Aside from these issues (which will get fixed eventually), i don't understand why the app is only on ios when andriod has the bigger install base. I have no means of accessing the app atm broken or not!

789shadow

Banned
I stole a Ferrari outside the golf club in Vespucci Beach, modded it, and bought a garage to store stuff in. How many cars can you store in a garage?

Grisby

Love the little details in the safe-houses as you progress through the story.

I can't wait to take my MP created character into this world.

That is the original suggestion.

Is the opposite better? I currently have zero pop in issues with the play disk installed on USB.

basically

game on dvd <<<<<<<< play on usb/install no hdd < play on hdd/install on usb

the difference is much greater going off of dvd and even that probably wasn't a huge difference. but that is the ideal configuration due to the read speeds.

eival

Aside from these issues (which will get fixed eventually), i don't understand why the app is only on ios when andriod has the bigger install base. I have no means of accessing the app atm broken or not!

i wouldnt be too sure they're going to "fix it" so far the only thing they've said is, they were aware of the iphone version itself not even working the last few days and that Android has a version coming, which is a whole other ordeal considering the licenses plate feature is permanent and 1st come 1st serve for what ever plates they create. but theres nothing saying they're working on a regular flash app for browsers, you need a specific phone, and on top of that have some sort of data plan active on those phones...on top of the $60 you already spent, which has a phone with apps in the game which would of actually made sense. but instead you get an advertizement popup in the corner of the game reminding you that you cant use those features until you go out and buy a device that costs literally hundreds of dollars for the phone and the data plan which is usually a 2yr agreement, and has no association with Xbox, PS3 or Rockstar Games' $60 product nor says anywhere on the back of the box under the "requirements" section.

i see something that says you need 8 gigs of HDD space to play the game and the other usual requirements to access stuff, i dont see anything saying "specific phone models required because we made no ability in the game itself to train the Dog"

thats correct

not totally. here's the synapsis for anyone wondering.

3 devices on your xbox can be used to read data. the DVD drive is the slowest. USB is the second fastest. HDD is the fastest data reader on it.

the play disc is accessed more often than the installed data. therefore the best setup is the most accessed data on the fastest source, 2nd fastest source using the instal data.

hence play on hdd and install on usb is the best setup.

Grimsen

Everyone civilized has a phone.

And you don't need a data plan. Stop being disingenuous and trying to stir up shit for no reason.

The whole chop and licence plate thing is minor and imo completely unecessary to the enjoyment of the game.

Holy fuck, the mountains in the game are huge. I'm doing one of Trevor's missions and flying to the air strip and wow, I don't think any other game I've played has captured the scale and size of mountains better.

Grisby

It's happened to me twice now, both under the same circumstance (first heist spoilers)
after failing the mission to get the bug spray van
. By chance, was your situation similar?
Yes. This was the exact spot.

Sorry for not responding earlier, hard to keep track of a fast moving thread.

Fuck, I was following the blimp with a helicopter and it kept leading me into the ocean, then my helicopter started smoking, then crashed, now I'm stuck in the middle of the Pacific ocean. Fuck.

edit:And it's nighttime. The is fucking scary.

eival

And you don't need a data plan. Stop being disingenuous and trying to stir up shit for no reason.

The whole chop and licence plate thing is minor and imo completely unecessary to the enjoyment of the game.

most people do have phones, yes but everyone has a iphone or ipad?

whos being disingenuous?

if its a "minor feature" as you say, why does the game feel the need to popup every time i use him reminding me that he'll forever be useless in the game and "is bored" after barely walking down the street, let alone "out on long walks to look for hidden packages" until i go buy an iphone and download an app

and i didnt lump in the car mod app, you can go to any shop in the game and mod your car just fine, there is no ability to train Chop in the game without paying hundreds of dollars for a specific brand and type of phone or device.

why not just make Chop apart of the stupid preorder gimmick, like the blimp, but not even people who preordered and got the "super awesome hundred dollars+ edition" with all the extra goodies could use Chop, unless they too had these specific phone/devices on top of the $100+ the highest tier edition of the game cost.

So I took someone elses advice from the last thread.

360 version

Mandatory install is on HDD
Secondary disc is installed to USB 3.0 drive (Just bought this, $18 for 16GB, good drive)
Save files are on the 4GB of flash memory on the 360 (I did not do this, but will try it tomorrow).

Performance bumps to note:
- Noticeable performance increase. I am not an FPS junky but I noticed some drops in frames with the traditional install especially when driving fast in the wilderness; I played tonight and did not notice that nearly as much. Does the game still slow down at times? Sure, but not nearly as much.

- Textures loading: Haven't noticed anything usual, but I also didn't notice anything bad when playing.

- Pop-in: I used to notice texture and asset pop in. I do not notice it anymore.

OTher note worthy things:
- The game loads at least 50% faster
- The Google Earth type character switching is WAY faster, especially to start the game. When it first zooms in on your character from a save, it does it almost instantly.
- The in-game map loads about twice as fast. It still shows the spinning circle, but only for a second... Enough so that I don't worry about loading the map.

I'd recommend doing this. I'm not a huge performance or IQ junky, but I've noticed improvements.

Try stopping a thief with Trevor. His line when he returns the money makes him sound like Sylvester the Cat.
KuGsj.gif

Dead Man

Trying to get Trevor back up to 150k so I can buy the airfield, dying is costing 5k each time, I am not making any progress. :/ Haven't seen an armoured car in ages, what else makes money?

The thing is, they released the game without the app finished for some platforms. Regardless of any other issue, that is quite shitty.

Derrick01

Banned
Damn I wish this sound was better on PS3. There's certain sounds in here that are really fucking with my tinnitus, like the sound the tutorial popups make. Having to turn the volume up so much to get the game to normal levels of other games probably doesn't help either.

But if they made it a flash app like you recommend, then wouldn't that mean that they'd have to also put on the box "Requires a PC with Adobe Flash Version X installed to utilize all the greatest features!!"

What else do you need a computer for? All of the social club features? So, if you upload a photo from the game, OMG you can't view it without a computer... They better put a warning on the box that says "Requires $1200 Computer To Utiliize All Features of the Game." Oh, and you better have internet to go along with that computer or else you can't view your in game snap shots. So, not only do you need to put that note about requiring a computer, you have to announce on the box that you need $50/mo internet to utilize all features of the game.

It's also not equivalent to not being able to mod any car without the app because modifying cars is a seminally important part of the game. The Chop minigame on your iPhone is completely meaningless and useless and is more or less a 10 second distraction. I uninstalled it after downloading it and getting two notifications that Chop was thirsty... while I was sleeping. Trust me, you're not missing anything and it'll be out on Android and WP in a few weeks anyway.

laugh out loud at legal ramifications

The thing is, they released the game without the app finished for some platforms. Regardless of any other issue, that is quite shitty.

Yeah, I -- for one -- wish that they delayed the most anticipated game of the year because an unannounced extremely minor "feature" was not supported on some mobile operating systems.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Has anyone had any luck getting the PS3 disk version to output in 1080p? I already tried unchecking the 720p and 1080i options in display settings but no dice. That worked on Last of Us, was really hoping it would work on GTA5 too.

I was hoping replaying a mission would retroactively fix a mistake. One of the Franklin missions with Lester
where he subtly hints at buying the stock of the competition of the guy you're about to kill totally slipped my mind, and when I restarted the mission to see if I could buy that stock, the game said I had only $78.
Hopefully I didn't miss out on too much cash.

Dead Man

Damn I wish this sound was better on PS3. There's certain sounds in here that are really fucking with my tinnitus, like the sound the tutorial popups make. Having to turn the volume up so much to get the game to normal levels of other games probably doesn't help either.

All games need more sound level options, but the current trend seems to be less options.

Man, stuff like this makes political corectness my most hated enemy. I don't like ios tack on as much as the next guy but Rockstar had no intentions of locking away content with an iPhone. I mean come on!

Grimsen

I unlocked Trevor tonight.

Shit just got real.

Also, Rockstar was willfully negligent by conveniently omitting to put on the box that you need hands to control the game. That shit should be illegal.

Brannon

Trying to get Trevor back up to 150k so I can buy the airfield, dying is costing 5k each time, I am not making any progress. :/ Haven't seen an armoured car in ages, what else makes money?

Play the stock market. Some missions won't tell you that they have stock connected to them, so you'll have to do research. Lester will give you the easy ones. Do that, then it's all Martha Stewart from there.

LifEndz

Lamar just *early spoilers*
gave me chop
. Damn is this game good, although I'm playing this wishing I was playing it on a more powerful system. Def double dipping when it's on PS4. Downloaded I fruit so I can teach chop some tricks.

Oh yeah, they freaking nailed the strip club lap dance sequence. All that's missing is allowing you to control where your hands go. Now I just have to become a regular so I can take some of them home.

I've got an Android tablet (Nexus 7 2nd gen) and my phone is an iPhone (although I had Android phones for 4 years prior to that). I love my Android devices, but we all know why apps almost always debut on the iPhone and then Android catches up to them -- fragmentation, user behavior, and app discovery.

I am glad that they spent more time working on the actual game than struggling to adapt their Android app to a 3 year old mobile platform like Android 2.2.

antitrop

All games need more sound level options, but the current trend seems to be less options.
As a primarily PC-focused gamer, I find the menus in this game to be exceptional. Very well thought out and elegant. Plenty of nice options (even the ability to disable the HUD! Love that!) and toggles to mess around with. A respectable level of customizability; I especially appreciate the ability to calibrate my 5.1 setup within the game.

DominoKid

i think this Scouting The Dock mission is glitched for me. i've tried it 3 or 4 times and i still can't make Trevor get on the fucking dock handler properly. reload and the same thing happens.

i can jump on every part of the dock handler except the part i need to keep the mission moving. wtf?

Top Bottom