• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Fjordson

Does it have to be usb 3.0?
Nah. I'm using a 2.0 stick and it's running great. Not even sure 360 supports USB 3.0.

I mean 3.0 sticks work (I've used one before) but I don't think you'll see any advantage with that over 2.0. Could be wrong, but I'm almost positive that's the case.

Tenck

Been looking at some videos about GTAV. That city looks alive and about 100x better than Liberty City in GTAIV. Still looking at that PC release sometime in the near future :eek:

Fuck :( Early game and character appearance spoilers:
I told a friend about how I randomly encountered two people robbing a liquor store and how they wanted me to be the getaway driver so I killed them to try and be a good samaritan. He tells me that one of them was Packie from gta 4 and if I helped them, he becomes available to be a part of heists. I thought he was bullshitting but I look it up and it's true. I'm so bummed. Packie was my favorite character in 4. I'm seriously considering restarting the game to get him.

The first time I saw this happen I killed them as well. I was playing last night and the random event happened again,
but we were all killed by the police while trying to escape.

Finally got the gif to work. This is my favorite moment in the very beginning of the game (non-spoiler):
michaelpunchxuojj.gif

Dreweyes

Yo guys! Apologies for the shameless plug, but I figure some of you might enjoy this! :)

I've got limited edition GTA V tees up today only @ The Yetee:

QsbPAZ0.gif

3ouLqUS.gif

RDreamer

Holy shit I can't get past 29 on this rampage. I keep getting to 29 with like 10 seconds left and then can't fucking find anyone else to kill :(

Oh there is frame drops but the game is surprisingly smooth and has never caused me to think it's awkward enough to hinder my enjoyment.

I'm running mine on disc and I just did a database rebuild before installing the game. I'm very impressed with everything considering where we've come from with the past games from Rockstar on PS3. They really did an amazing job.

I'm not sure if an SSD will affect performance so I can't comment on that.

Please explain this. Is this a PS3 thing? If so, how do you do that and does that affect performance at all?

Holy shit I can't get past 29 on this rampage. I keep getting to 29 with like 10 seconds left and then can't fucking find anyone else to kill :(
Heh wait till you hit the Army one. There isn't many Rampages, I finished them all I think 5-6 total. I only died a few times with the Army one.

BFIB

This week went by way too fast. Got a booked weekend to end vacation. Put about 20 hours so far, I am not going to want this game to end.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Michael's conversation with Trevor about 'hipsters' was awesome.

The characters, writing, acting, everything is so engaging. I didn't make it through IV's first few hours, but I'm glued to this.

Cess007

In "Did anyone said Yoga?" mission...

The part where Michael is falling from the Alien Ship, all it's like a psychodelic blur and the music starts playing, it's a moment i can't think it can be topped in a while. I was actually laughing out loud due the hilarity of that part

GQman2121

Banned
Trevor side mission random couple:
I didn't feel like driving all the way up the mountain for the money, so I just took them to the motel. Hilarious that they start going at it and Trevor's response to it all.

Also interesting that Trevor is apparently Canadian.

I finished the game (main story) at 72.9 %.
I saved both Michael and Trevor. Last mission was kind of a let down. Easy and short, but still... dat final. Down the cliff you go. BOOM!!
! I will continue the side missions so I can get 100%.

9/10. Best GTA, ever. Thanks Rockstar... THANKS!

Also, Trevor ftw!

Derrick01

Banned
Holy shit that first heist was awesome, and tense as hell at times too. Next time I probably shouldn't cheap out on a hacker of all things.

I really dislike radio & lights on D-Pad.

Cinematic camera gets a button? Wtf.

I also don't like how it's not easy to scroll through the weapons. You're forced to use the radial. Would be nice with a fav weapon/no weapon toggle function, or something.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yesterdays session was amazing... I love Trevor.

Can you put on a seat belt when getting in a car? Someone in another thread said to hold triangle, but I tried and that isn't working. Seems like they were BSing, sigh.

I really dislike radio & lights on D-Pad.

Cinematic camera gets a button? Wtf.

I also don't like how it's not easy to scroll through the weapons. You're forced to use the radial. Would be nice with a fav weapon/no weapon toggle function, or something.

You can tap the button to switch between last weapon chosen and no weapon.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Trevor's actor is giving the most memorable vg performance I've ever seen. Every actor here is doing great things, even the side characters. But Trevor is just unbelievably great, writing and performance.

I hate to say it, but I think it's mostly Mike and his family's writing that I don't like. I do a couple missions, and all I wanna do is switch back to Franklin.

Michael, gotdamn it, stop changing into "lazy house clothes" attire. Leave the suits on, I'm trying to create a vibe here, JEEZ

Also, can you still earn money from replayed missions like the big heists?

Zeliard

Just did the "yoga" mission. Great visual conceit there, and very nice music.

Holy shit that first heist was awesome, and tense as hell at times too. Next time I probably shouldn't cheap out on a hacker of all things.

When I did the first heist I picked the shitty gunman since I was going in stealthy, along with the dumb kid hacker. On the escape
the gunman slipped near the tunnel and dropped the money. Afterwards Franklin said he managed to pick it up anyway.

Watched a bit of the Giant Bomb quick look, where they had the exact same crew, and they
lost that bag completely
. Wonder what affects that.

golem

In "Did anyone said Yoga?" mission...

The part where Michael is falling from the Alien Ship, all it's like a psychodelic blur and the music starts playing, it's a moment i can't think it can be topped in a while. I was actually laughing out loud due the hilarity of that part

I wish it wasnt so fast.. it was quite enjoyable lol

Carcetti

Just did the "yoga" mission. Great visual conceit there, and very nice music.

When I did the first heist I picked the shitty gunman since I was going in stealthy, along with the dumb kid hacker. On the escape
the gunman slipped near the tunnel and dropped the money. Afterwards Franklin said he managed to pick it up anyway.

Watched a bit of the Giant Bomb quick look, where they had the exact same crew, and they
lost that bag completely
. Wonder what affects that.

I saw the bag drop and drove over it. I wasn't sure I got it until Franklin confirmed it at the end. You probably drove over it yourself and just didn't notice it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm 3 heists in now(I think) and this game doesn't let up. They done good.

I now just may have trevor walk around with a hockey mask for awhile.

reminder

ok, i LOVE this game, but there is one thing that i hate: The Rampages. I had to restart the first one 4 or 5 times because everytime i got killed. I went near the water to prevent enemies to spawn behind me and eventually i killed enough enemies after a few tries. I'm not looking forward to the other 4 Rampages...

Ploid 3.0

Michael's conversation with Trevor about 'hipsters' was awesome.

The characters, writing, acting, everything is so engaging. I didn't make it through IV's first few hours, but I'm glued to this.

Yeah I really liked that moment. Trevor was really losing it and it had me laughing.
http://youtu.be/FlzZhGr8G9w

This game has me laughing so many different times. I love that it's not all serious business like GTA4. Welcome back Rockstar, don't try to go on that end of the fence again. Use a different game name. Maybe Agent?

ok, i LOVE this game, but there is one thing that i hate: The Rampages. I had to restart the first one 4 or 5 times because everytime i got killed. I went near the water to prevent enemies to spawn behind me and eventually i killed enough enemies after a few tries. I'm not looking forward to the other 4 Rampages...
Worst one in the game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

That was easily the hardest one I did so far. But yeah, annoying...and to gold you need 40 fucking kills somehow.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Very first thing I noticed is this framerate is terrible. I know, I know... I don't wanna be that guy, and I'm not saying it makes it a bad game. I understand the scope is grand and they sqeezed out what they could from the hardware. But jaggies everywhere and a framerate that seriously feels low 20s a good portion of the time is very distracting. Definitely seems like a step down from initial reveal and more recent videos.

Yeah, it does get pretty damn bad at times, mostly in the center of the city. It's frequently down to GTA IV levels (around 20 fps) there. Luckily it's much better in most other locations (including other places in the city).

Yeah I don't recall any issues with the framerate on the PS3 either (still early in the game). Game runs quite smooth, and it seems R* spent a lot of time optimizing it.

That is honestly quite unbelievable to me. Would you say you usually notice bad framerates? Because as I just wrote, this game definitely drops down to around 20 fps in certain areas (which you do visit or at least drive through early on). The difference between that and other areas where it runs much better (around 30) is so huge I can't believe anyone wouldn't notice it. The game literally goes from smooth to severely choppy in a matter of seconds as you enter certain areas.

On average it's a vast improvement over IV though.

mattiewheels

I'd say the ps3 version never goes below 25fps. It feels really solid most of the time.

Top Bottom