• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Game really does have that time dilation effect that i get from only the best open world and jrpg games.

didn't even think i've done much story missions but apparently i'm 8 hours total across the 3 characters already and i just got trevor.

This also has some of the worst spoken chinese i've heard in a game since deus ex hr. soo good :D

Just finished the story. Really poor, felt like it ended all of a sudden and didn't build up in any meaningful way.

Also something I've thought throughout the game and it has turned out be true...It's too easy. GTA used to have those brick walls where you had to really concentrate and get into it to pass certain missions but I never ran into that issue in this game at all. Stormed through it with no trouble, very few mission failed states. I wasn't busted once in my whole play through.

I don't know man.I think it's just you. Our maybe I just suck but I failed a couple of missions Moe than twice and I thought it was pretty difficult at times. I also think when you storm through the game, it sniffs it the enjoyment.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Planes seem fine, choppers are infuriatingly twitchy and stupid. All the great GTA4 physics got fucked up for "more responsive" stuff - because some goons on the internet don't understand what "inertia" is sadly.

Hmm, what? Are you saying the helicopters in V don't have inertia? They definitely do. I don't remember exactly how they controlled in IV, how was it different?

Siegmeyer

Just found out if you press Circle/B whilst doing a running jump you'll flop into a fall.

You can use it to spear tackle into peoples knees/midrfiff/face or try and dive through the windscreen of an approaching car. It's a lot of fun.

j-wood

Reposting for the new page.

Can someone explain how the cheat codes are going to work? I saw that if you use some, it disables trophies. I really only care to use some when I'm screwing around and won't save on my own, but what happens with autosave? If you save after using a cheat are you totally screwed for the rest of the game?

Also, does anyone know if you replay the heist missions, do you still get to keep the cash you make from it?

Zukuu

Banned
Some of the missions are pretty dumb in terms of execution and pretty boring at times
"Fly low for 20 minutes!" *yawn*
or
one of Franklin's assassination missions is flat out retarded. Where is FORCED to infiltrate that big building.

J4g3r

So... Vespucci Helipad.

Can I also land helicopters there and store them? Or is it strictly for what you buy from the internet?

Interfectum

Fucking hell this game is awesome as fuck.

When I first started playing I had this sinking fear the game was way overhyped. I dunno, something didn't click with me right away. But the game won me over after the Social Network (?) quest. I can't remember the last time I had this much fun with a game. Man...

owlbeak

Hmm, what? Are you saying the helicopters in V don't have inertia? They definitely do. I don't remember exactly how they controlled in IV, how was it different?
The helicopters didn't constantly wobble around when you're not touching the controls, for one.

Helicopter controls are a total mess, it's almost impossible to fly one straight and the controls are crazy sensitive. I really wish games with vehicles had separate control sensitivity settings for each vehicle.

Unlocked Trevor last night.

Get a huge Heath Ledger as The Joker vibe with him. Like The Joker mixed with Walter White mixed with the cast of Duck Dynasty.

So I stole the jet fighter from the army base and while trying to take off the cargo plane landed. Does anybody know where the cargo plane can be found?

sgossard

Just beeped my horn, randomly at a woman in sandy flats - she was just standing on the corner (not a hooker I don't think) and I hassled her 4 times with the horn, she said "I'm calling the cops if you keep it up" - sure enough bitch called the cops on me.
Sticky bombed her.

nice

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Also, does anyone know if you replay the heist missions, do you still get to keep the cash you make from it?

Haven't actually replayed a mission yet, but from what I've read you do not. The game basically saves the state of the game before you do the mission, and then loads it up again afterwards.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So I stole the jet fighter from the army base and while trying to take off the cargo plane landed. Does anybody know where the cargo plane can be found?

I saw it in the hanger on one Military Base run (that ended about how it normally does: BOOM)

Finally saw some "Friend's List" update, where people on my FL beat missions, or "did better" than I did on missions. Leaderboards are starting to work (but the Crew list seems borked, it shows me as "nothing" for it, while I'm listed on the Global and FL rankings.

Vehicle destruction is a step down from IV majorly. I just flew a car to the tallest skyscraper and drove it off.

A few dents and a broken wheel.

That would have been a scrambled mess in IV.

Shame.

duckroll

The Rockstar Social Club stuff is totally fucked up. If they can't even keep up with the demand for simple stuff like cloud storage of pics, stats, and friend list linking without exploding with errors, I really hate to see what we're going to experience with GTA Online on Oct 1. :(

Linius

The Rockstar Social Club stuff is totally fucked up. If they can't even keep up with the demand for simple stuff like cloud storage of pics, stats, and friend list linking without exploding with errors, I really hate to see what we're going to experience with GTA Online on Oct 1. :(

Yeah, I'm afraid it's gonna be a total disaster on day one.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Should have launched it with the game, it would have been a mess but people would just play the single player, when it does launch loads of people will have finished the game.

spekkeh

Banned
Have to say the fact that the character you change to is always in a new locale/setting is absolute genius.
Yes, switching between different characters should be a standard in future open worlds from now on. It really fits with the idea of a living, breathing world. In terms of different perspectives of the city's populace, as well as people going about their lives when you're doing something else.

spekkeh

Banned
Luckily it hardly works if you don't have Live Gold anyway. -_-'

Linius

Have to say the fact that the character you change to is always in a new locale/setting is absolute genius.

I just switched back to Michael because I wanted to start a mission at his house. Turned out he was sitting in his car in the driveway when I got to him :D

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The helicopters didn't constantly wobble around when you're not touching the controls, for one.

Helicopter controls are a total mess, it's almost impossible to fly one straight and the controls are crazy sensitive. I really wish games with vehicles had separate control sensitivity settings for each vehicle.

Yeah, there's turbulence and stuff that makes that happen. Makes perfect sense, a helicopter doesn't automagically stay at the exact same spot in the air without any pilot input. I think it makes them more exciting to fly, since you actually have to be somewhat engaged in it rather than the game just doing it for you.

It's definitely possible to fly in a straight line, although yes, you do have to give some input every now and then to stay on track. I don't have any issues going exactly where I want to.

It seems like most people complaining about the helicopter controls just want it to not take any effort at all. I'm glad it does, because if feels so good once you really get it.

Can anybody help me find some more melee weapons. I have the knife (only one available to buy atm) and the golf club. There must be more than just the night stick that I can't buy yet?

Dyno

Doing a bunch of Franklin missions in a row makes you unfit for polite society.

It's not just the quantity of n-bombs but also their high quality delivery.

Am I missed something or did I not just get far enough into the game?

Michael's been on and on about how Trevor is an uncontrollable monster, hell on Earth, but besides his obvious craziness, he'll like my favorite character in the game.

And holy shit, LOL, Trevor + gangster shit is absolutely hilarious

Reposting for the new page.

Can someone explain how the cheat codes are going to work? I saw that if you use some, it disables trophies. I really only care to use some when I'm screwing around and won't save on my own, but what happens with autosave? If you save after using a cheat are you totally screwed for the rest of the game?

I think that the achievements and trophies are only disabled for that play session, i.e. once you quit your game and go back into it, they should be enabled once more. That's what I've read from multiple sites, but might want to just double check it before you jump in, incase I'm wrong.

Would be a silly design if it completely locked trophies, and if it did, I'm sure you'ld hear a lot about it.

Yeah, there's turbulence and stuff that makes that happen. Makes perfect sense, a helicopter doesn't automagically stay at the exact same spot in the air without any pilot input. I think it makes them more exciting to fly, since you actually have to be somewhat engaged in it rather than the game just doing it for you.

It's definitely possible to fly in a straight line, although yes, you do have to give some input every now and then to stay on track. I don't have any issues going exactly where I want to.

It seems like most people complaining about the helicopter controls just want it to not take any effort at all. I'm glad it does, because if feels so good once you really get it.

Probably an hour into my first playthrough, I spawned a helicopter in the middle of downtown and flew it to the top of the highest mountain.

It was difficult for about the first 20 seconds, then I got a hang of it and how it wanted me to control it, not how I wanted to control it.

Ragus

Banned
16 main missions and 20 hours in, just finished plane/buggy sidemissions which I've unlocked after buying hangar from McKenzie.

This game, so good.

Philia

Did Cletus say that he'd pay for any good animal that you've shot down and sent photos of? I tried it and I got nothing when I took a photo of a elk with a nice set of points.

EDIT: Oh never mind, apparently there's hunting spots that are marked on the map for you to go to. I thought hunting was free roaming... :\ Shame its not.

Okay, can someone tell me how to upload pictures to the Social Club? I had errors last night but I swear that I was able to take some pictures that didn't give me any errors.

Not liking how this Social Club stuff is so batshit but I guess it's to be expected...

Edit: Nevermind, they're there, lol.

Philia

Okay, can someone tell me how to upload pictures to the Social Club? I had errors last night but I swear that I was able to take some pictures that didn't give me any errors.

Not liking how this Social Club stuff is so batshit but I guess it's to be expected...

I was kinda hoping I wouldn't need to do the Social Club to get money from my hunts.

broony

Same

I appreciate they have sold way way more than was predicted, and the load on their servers must be still huge, but that load is going to be mental on October 1st. Thankfully I have zero spare time at the minute so it will be mid October by the time I have finished the story and I am ready to jump online.

Covfan

I had a Trevor character switch moment where
he was drinking whiskey sat on the rooftop of a building it would have been impossible to reach

vixlar

In Gta4, when you honk on pedestrians they get scared or try to insult you. Sometimes they try to fight you. Taht doesn't happen in this game. Sad.

The Spanish radio in this game is really funny. Don Cheto is great. Really a tough battle with Radio Espantoso in Vice City and much much better than Daddy Yankee in Gta4. I'm amused that the song "La Granja" is in this game. That song was censored by the government in Mexico.

duckroll

I think the worst thing about the Social Club not working all the time is that the photos are tied to it. It's really dumb. They don't even have offline temp storage so you can just take photos while you play and upload them later? Really Rockstar? :(

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Did a side mission last night as Franklin where I had to kill someone. So I tool up, get to the mission point and the introduction plays. I then get into a car and the games own Tangerine Dream score starts playing. It's nighttime and I get to the multi level place where I have to make my way up on foot. The score is playing, I'm using my carbine assault rifle (silenced of course) and it feels so fucking much like a Michael Mann film I'm smiling like a goddamn loon.

I absolutely love this game. It's also the best GTA has ever been, plus we haven't even got the Online portion yet! The thing that gets me interested in online is that I love everything in the game - the driving, the jet skis, the boats, the flying and the shooting (on free aim) and I'm very hopeful that I'll enjoy it.

Also, make sure to do the side missions as they unlock a lot of the side activities that you can do.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
100% Fuck customizing your own car. Its pointless with this phantom car thief fallowing my characters :/

Yeah, Michael had a car (after a certain event) for a long long time. I put some money into it, give it a nice Lava Red paint job, and eventuallly, I "get my old car back" and I haven't seen my little Red Beast again :( It's not in the Big Garage either :(

I bought Trevor a Gigantic Truck, and loaded it up. It's a Gawdy Beast of a Truck, but every time I go to another character and come back to Trevor, he's back in that beat up old truck he comes with in the beginning.

I don't know man.I think it's just you. Our maybe I just suck but I failed a couple of missions Moe than twice and I thought it was pretty difficult at times. I also think when you storm through the game, it sniffs it the enjoyment.

Yeah, I've died a few times and failed some missions already. I actually had to to go to "Classic GTA" for shooting because I couldn't see the aiming dot/reticule for a few missions. Usually keep it to Free Aim for messing around though.

SO PISSED at this shit. I get to a spot where I'm just amazed at the locale and I can't take a picture. These are great moments that I know I'll never go back to. Have not been able to take a SINGLE PICTURE!

R* Dropped the ball hard on this, such a disappointment. I'll probably completely avoid GTA:O for a couple weeks until they get it ironed out. A laggy, buggy, online experience can easily burn me on something so it's best if I just wait.

Top Bottom