• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

You guys? You guys. Minor Turbulence. Oh my God. You'll know what I mean when you get there. This game is the sequel to San Andreas I've always wanted.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Just finished the mission where Trevor
kidnaps that Mexican mobster's wife.

Really enjoying the game so far but does anyone else feel like there's not enough missions where you have to kill a bunch of guys? I haven't even bothered upgrading or buying any guns since I never really get to use them.

Had a random event with
Trevor
where I stopped for a broken down car.
As soon as I step out of the vehicle I get taized and black out. I wake up with no clothes on a train tracks as a train is getting close to running me over. Haha, most random throw away thing that cracked me up.

NeoGiff

In relation to all of the complaints about pop-in etc;

It's very strange and seems to be random rather than strictly abiding to certain versions. The PSN version is suppose to have a lot of pop-in, yet I have sunk 11 hours into the game so far and haven't seen any obvious, noticeable examples of this.

My housemate has the 360 disc version, and installed it as recommended. He is at more of less the same point as me, but I have noticed a massive amount of pop-in in his game, it's actually horrible (e.g. fences, trash cans, and building textures loading in as he is almost beside them).

GlamFM

Banned
In relation to all of the complaints about pop-in etc;

It's very strange and seems to be random rather than strictly abiding to certain versions. The PSN version is suppose to have a lot of pop-in, yet I have sunk 11 hours into the game so far and haven't seen any obvious, noticeable examples of this.

My housemate has the 360 disc version, and installed it as recommended. He is at more of less the same point as me, but I have noticed a massive amount of pop-in in his game, it's actually horrible (e.g. fences, trash cans, and building textures loading in as he is almost beside them).

Did he install both discs?

Is a spoiler thread going to go up at some point? And not to spoil anything but the last mission feels so bizarrely out of place with very little build up to it. Perhaps there's stuff afterwards though, we'll see.

To enjoy the story, universe and characters.

Why not watch a lets play and save $60?

It seems a lot of your problems stem from not actually wanting to learn the systems in place and not wanting to challenge yourself. I personally love the traffic. It's a rush to burn through really dense and heavy traffic going 80+ mph. I've gotten really good at driving and it's now my favorite thing to do. It did take a bit of time and patience, but now that I feel comfortable driving I love it.

Why not watch a lets play and save $60?

It seems a lot of your problems stem from not actually wanting to learn the systems in place and not wanting to challenge yourself. I personally love the traffic. It's a rush to burn through really dense and heavy traffic going 80+ mph. I've gotten really good at driving and it's now my favorite thing to do. It did take a bit of time and patience, but now that I feel comfortable driving I love it.

I do that, sometimes. However, I enjoy games with a certain degree of freedom too, especially if they have an interesting story so I assumed GTA V was worth playing.

So I took someone elses advice from the last thread.

360 version

Mandatory install is on HDD
Secondary disc is installed to USB 3.0 drive (Just bought this, $18 for 16GB, good drive)
Save files are on the 4GB of flash memory on the 360 (I did not do this, but will try it tomorrow).

Performance bumps to note:
- Noticeable performance increase. I am not an FPS junky but I noticed some drops in frames with the traditional install especially when driving fast in the wilderness; I played tonight and did not notice that nearly as much. Does the game still slow down at times? Sure, but not nearly as much.

- Textures loading: Haven't noticed anything usual, but I also didn't notice anything bad when playing.

- Pop-in: I used to notice texture and asset pop in. I do not notice it anymore.

OTher note worthy things:
- The game loads at least 50% faster
- The Google Earth type character switching is WAY faster, especially to start the game. When it first zooms in on your character from a save, it does it almost instantly.
- The in-game map loads about twice as fast. It still shows the spinning circle, but only for a second... Enough so that I don't worry about loading the map.

I'd recommend doing this. I'm not a huge performance or IQ junky, but I've noticed improvements.
Will do, spanks.

Yanksfan

I am only a few hours in..how or when can I expect to be able to utilize the stock market? I just finished the mission

where Franklin and Michael save his son after the dumbshit tried to sell his dad's boat

I've lost a couple of cars now too. The impound lot never works. Does anyone know what's up or is just broke at the moment?

The worst thing is I've also bought a helipad and a $3 MILLION helicopter. Is that one fucking time use too unless I get it back to the helipad?

This is an example of realism ruining fun, if so.

U2NUMB

Many people have driven around this world and maybe in a boat.. I challenged my friend to walk/run around the entire island. Here is the video.... he speeds it up dont worry.

He stops talking after 1:20

So here it is.. the full walk around the island in 15 min (sped up)

Full Walk Around GTAV

Not much of a spoiler risk as it is sped up but IF you are worried about quickly seeing the very outside of the whole map dont watch obviously.

Alpende

Can someone explain to me how garages and storing cars in them work? I bought a 180K vehicle with Franklin and drove it once and now it's gone.

bitoriginal

I do that, sometimes. However, I enjoy games with a certain degree of freedom too, especially if they have an interesting story so I assumed GTA V was worth playing.

Sounds like you're trolling at this point. You don't like GTAV, even though you loved SA, right... I think you've entered jaded gamer territory. Seriously, maybe sleep on it and try again, because there is alot here to enjoy if you just put the effort into understanding the games systems, rather than bitching about them to people that are having a great time with it.

Toski

I've lost a couple of cars now too. The impound lot never works. Does anyone know what's up or is just broke at the moment?

I think they're using the same system from GTA:SA and its still glitched with customized cars disappearing. I had a stock Ford GT looking car and a customized Banshee and they both disappeared in Franklin's garage.

In my opinion, Grand Theft Auto is a game in which you play various missions, each following a particular storyline. Grand Theft Auto is a brand and a background (the expression comes from the American penal code) more than anything. Yes, you can drive cars, but so can you pilot boats, planes or bicycles, play tennis and so on and so forth. It's not the only activity nor the main one. If GTA was a driving game then why would Rockstar have hired writers and voice actors?. <snip>

Your opinion is wrong. GTA has always had long driving missions, it's usually when the banter between characters reveals something. It's used as a story telling tool. It's also the way they introduce parts of the map to you. It's a major part of the franchise and it's been like this for every major 3D installment since 2001. I really don't know what you expect. Yes, you can drive all the other vehicles but a majority of any GTA game is spent driving and shooting. It's not a TPS with a driving section.

I'm surprised you say you enjoy SA, because I get a strong SA vibe from this game only 10x better. The loading screen at the beginning is excusable with the amount of content it's loading, I haven't noticed one since and at most 10-15 seconds for character switching, so I don't even understand how you can complain about something like this when most games have 30-45 second loading screens between "mission loading" screens.

I get it, you don't like it. But it seems your expectations weren't in line with the product that was being sold.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The strangers and freaks in this game are so good. Some of my favorites are Mary-Anne, Nigel and Mrs. Thornhill, and Beverly.

only cars worth upgrading are the protag's 'exclusive cars' imo because they actually come back... i think.

special cars too like that rockstar social club GT-R looking thing.

beat the first heist. fun fun. I do freaking hate GTA missions where you needa escape the police in a slow ass vehicle though (prep stage where you needa get sleeping gas).

Should you just always get the best crew members? The cuts don't seem big enough over crappy members for the risk of losing a large chunk of loot.

Trevor is pretty darn great
poor johnny

Is there any way to fast travel back from the weirdo cult group up the mountains besides dying?

I tried calling for a cab, but that never showed lol.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Ending dont highlight if you don't wanna know.
Just completed all 3 endings. Man those deaths for Michael and Trevor. I let Michael go but going to replay and save to see if he kills Franklin

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Gizmowned, horrible spoiler tag-work.

Should you just always get the best crew members? The cuts don't seem big enough over crappy members for the risk of losing a large chunk of loot.

I'm going to. A huge heist, and losing money. I guess you 'could' go back for it, maybe? But I'm going best of the best each round, it just makes sense. [first heist spoiler]
I just figured since we weren't going to be shooting (went the gas route) that I didn't need a hired gun to be effective, I didn't realize the dumbshit would crash the bike with a large part of the take

Kaladin

So last night I stole a jet for the first time. Took me awhile to figure out the best way to approach the airport and find a jet I could boost. Turns out all you need is a super fast car and you're gold. Whatever you do, don't try to swim or boat to the airport...too much open field to run across and cops will kill you.

So I finally got a jet and either in my take off or in flight the cops shot out my engines and I only made it halfway across the island before they failed. I tried to make an emergency landing on the interstate but couldn't get it right and crashed....I wonder if you can get that right....surely you can since interstate is pretty damn close to the runway in how it's built.

It also stole a boat for the first time....saw one off the beach and swam to it to steal it. I took it around the island till I came up on the river that crosses the island....that was a bad idea. I beached the boat going too fast down the narrow areas and had to hike back to the city. I did manage to steal a big 4x4 truck though so that's in my garage now.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I encountered my first shark. I ran it over and killed it with my jet ski. Then I went underwater and stared at the dead shark for too long and I drowned. This has to be right at the top of my stupid deaths list.

Sonix90

Neo Member
So it appears that random encounters are assigned to specific locations, so they are not that random actually. Was it the case with RDR as well? Did anyone had the same encounter happen to them twice?

wizzbang

Banned
Besides purchasing the game and telling other people it's great, how the fuck do I thank the team for this incredible game?
There's so many little things in this game which some developer sat in a meeting room fighting for, these tiny silly little touches which in 99.9% of games would never be added and 99.9% of the time wouldn't be noticed. Somehow, someone though has managed to add just immense detail to so many parts of this game.

The moon cycle seems to change, right now I'm paused as I type this and it's very close to a full moon, I can drive completely headlight free on the roads, it's much brighter, the lighting is fantastic.
I noticed my shadow was based positionally from the location of the moon itself.
It was so peaceful I shut the headlights off and just cruised the goddamn highway with the radio on at the speed limit, in first person view.
If you hit the rearview (R3) button while in FPS view, Trevor (presumably all) is then in the shot and he looks up at the goddamn rearview mirror - they animated that!

Sound design is often overlooked in games - not here, not even slightly. Again - some nerd developer(s) with a passion for good immersive sound, petitioned for a slice of the memory pie here and won.
When you stop a motorcycle you've just thrashed, the motor "ticks" as it cools down.
I walked past a body shop (NOT a pay n spray, a normal non functional / non enterable building) and you could hear the whirr of an air pneumatic drill for fucks sake!
The dialogue as you walk past people, that's been in GTA historically but it's so real. I walked the streets of my city today, for the first time after a 4 day GTA binge, it was just like the game, people on their phones, you just head a sentence snippet of conversation, it's magic.

The presentation of the story in this game is leaps and bounds better than previous GTA games (and I fucking LOVED GTAIV, loved it) - the way it's told, the setpieces are incredible such as (50% spoiler?)
the mission shooting down the jet with the high powered rifle and then chasing it on the motorbike
or whatabout (50% spoiler) the scene
where you steal the car from the parking lot, and it still has that actress in it - the end of that mission was the clincher for me, game of the generation
Then there's the (40% spoiler) OMG holy fuck amazing beautiful, incredible fucking scene where
Jimmy spikes the drink - that scene is fucking ...
incredible, it's amazing it's........ beautiful it's so well done, the music track that starts playing.

That's the other thing, did GTASA / 4 - did they have 'forced' music scenes (in game) like this does? Some of the heist / action music is brilliant - what about the chopper music at night? Jump in a chopper and this moody as fuck little tone comes on.

This game is mind boggling, it's fucking next level mind boggling. I had high expectations, I had extremely high expectations and it destroyed them. It just decimated them.
The draw distance, resolution, frame rate, detail are all higher than GTAIV - I expected an improvement but for 7 year old tech? How, how the fuck is this running in 512mb of ram? (and on my system, it's 256/256 - not shared)

I could write for days, I feel like there needs to be a thread just dedicated to the little details in the game. I've noticed so many and written so few down unfortunately - but just so many little amazing touches, SO MANY. I suspect a heap of them will never be noticed by most people.

I dunno, I just dunno what to say, these guys - I mean yes they sold a lot - but I just want to thank the whole group - they all come together to make something beautiful.
Best 4 days off work EVER. Fucking GOTG, straight up.
<3

Update:
Just rode in the car again (inside view) you can subtely hear a clunk as each gear change occurs, this stuff never ends.
Raced to the top of the observatory mountain to see the sunset and get a photo - in first person view on a bike up the mountain........ jesu christo amazing.
Sat on the bike, radio is running, lining up photo, girl on chair in front of me just turns around to see why I'm loitering,....... wow
There's graffiti on the public seating.
The moon is actually moving in some kind of orbit (advanced for "GTA time") you can see it moving through the sky.
The moon illuminates the clouds it's near.
In the settings for your phone you can enable vibrate (off by default) - the controller vibrates with a call...........
Helicopters blow up leaves / dust when landing
Pot holes in the road actually bump the car around
You can't put the headlights on high beam in daytime.

Seriously, does anyone else think this needs it's own thread? I'd love a full list of shit like this.

kiyomi

Tiny story. I was sniping cars in the desert atop a billboard, one of the ones with a ladder and a little walkway, as Trevor, and got a 1* wanted level. Two cops show up in the desert. I looked down on them from my walkway and watched as they started to look for me on the road. One of them started climbing the ladder, so I dropped down to the road, where I found myself directly behind the other cop, who was completely oblivious to my presence, still looking for me. Went into stealth mode and made my way to the police car, where I drove off and left them both in the middle of the desert. :D

Also, I love that you can throw sticky bombs and blow them up while driving. I was chasing a guy in a 4-door and threw a sticky bomb, kaboom. I love throwing them out of the window onto the road when cops are chasing, too.

scarlet

silly question, i have the SE so i got the free gun etc

but i don't find any free weapon in ammu nation

where i can find it?

i just met simeon

FiraB

Banned
I am only a few hours in..how or when can I expect to be able to utilize the stock market? I just finished the mission

where Franklin and Michael save his son after the dumbshit tried to sell his dad's boat
When you get missions from Lester. He will give you hints to invest big in a certain company, literally invest all your heist money into the stock of the company he is telling you to put stock into. If you succeed the payoff is big and you get a achievement for all those dollars you get back.

Yanksfan

When you get missions from Lester. He will give you hints to invest big in a certain company, literally invest all your heist money into the stock of the company he is telling you to put stock into. If you succeed the payoff is big and you get a achievement for all those dollars you get back.

Thanks homie.

todahawk

So last night I stole a jet for the first time. Took me awhile to figure out the best way to approach the airport and find a jet I could boost. Turns out all you need is a super fast car and you're gold. Whatever you do, don't try to swim or boat to the airport...too much open field to run across and cops will kill you.

So I finally got a jet and either in my take off or in flight the cops shot out my engines and I only made it halfway across the island before they failed. I tried to make an emergency landing on the interstate but couldn't get it right and crashed....I wonder if you can get that right....surely you can since interstate is pretty damn close to the runway in how it's built.

It also stole a boat for the first time....saw one off the beach and swam to it to steal it. I took it around the island till I came up on the river that crosses the island....that was a bad idea. I beached the boat going too fast down the narrow areas and had to hike back to the city. I did manage to steal a big 4x4 truck though so that's in my garage now.

good shit!

I was bummed that I was able to sneak into the military base at night, stealthed my way up but suddenly the base goes ape shit and I die. Broke the illusion and felt like I passed some magic point of death.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I wasn't even sure there were collectibles in this game until I found one of those late last night on
the back door of CJ's house from San Andreas

The collectibles are ridiculously hard to find in this game. It's kind of a negative imo. Collectibles done right in open world games are when there's a good combination of easy to find collectibles and hard to find ones. This game just has hard to find ones. Very hard to find ones. I've been exploring quite a lot and I've foudn a grand total of one collectible.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I can't get over how addictive the Tennis is in this lol.

It's pretty cool, I just wish there was some point to doing it. Like, a progression of more and more difficult opponents. There isn't right? I've played at two different courts so far, and I've just crushed both opponents. So not really feeling that it's very meaningful to keep doing it.

The same goes for golf. Is there anything more to it than just playing for the sake of playing (I know you can also challenge your friends by hanging out with them)? I vaguely remember the game saying something about unlocking different opponents for it, but how do you do that?

So yeah, while both sports are pretty cool, there seems to be little point to actually playing them beyond improving your leaderboard ranking. Imagine how cool it would be if there were tournaments to enter for the sports, or at least some way to make money by playing them.

Should become more meaningful once you can do it online against other people, I guess.

silly question, i have the SE so i got the free gun etc

but i don't find any free weapon in ammu nation

where i can find it?

i just met simeon

It should be "to the right" on the wall (might be different in different stores). But if you look through all of them you should see some that say FREE for the price.

It's pretty cool, I just wish there was some point to doing it. Like, a progression of more and more difficult opponents. There isn't right? I've played at two different courts so far, and I've just crushed both opponents. So not really feeling that it's very meaningful to keep doing it.

I believe both increase your Strength stat.

It feels silly that you can control the car in mid air.

What is this? Wipeout Theft Auto?

At first I thought it was silly. But now I love it. It adds the extra punch I can give something when driving. The dunebuggy deliveries are awesome with it. When I want to just 'see what happens' I usually won't use it at all and just play it as it lies. But yeah, I wish the driving was more like 4. The cars are too twitchy, I am getting used to it but at this time I prefer the hefty slide of IV's cars than the quick maneuvering of V's.

Top Bottom