• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

So a few things need to be tweaked with this game

• Helicopter controls - I've gotten more used to them but man they are way too sensitive. Gta4 had it right.

• Gotta lower the time it takes to lose stars. - DEAR GOD. At 1 and 2 stars lower it majorly. Keep it for 3 and above.

• Saving your custom cars bug - fix plz

The helicopter controls for the game are probably the worst thing in the game for me. I never had problems controlling helicopters in the previous games. This game though, it's a pain.

Not Story Related Stories
I had no problems getting Gold in any of the other courses at the flight school, but I just could not get gold in the two helicopter courses. I came close on one of them and was off by about 5 seconds, but the controls just made it way too difficult and just ended for me in frustration. And I was playing with Trevor and a 100 flight ability.

Khezu

Can you really be rewarded with skill points by doing random events?

Most of the time I just get 200 dollars. One time I returned a stolen bike though and he gave me 100k in stock for his company animal ark. That was pretty awesome.

i really hope when this is released on PC they put in more locations you can go in/rob (i doubt it though)

my biggest disappointment is that i just want to drive around and rob shit nonstop, but all you can rob are convenience stores?? i tried robbing clothes stores, and a medical marijuana place, and couldn't rob either. can you rob ammunations at least? haven't been brave enough to. but seriously i just want to rob a place in one town, drive across the countryside to the next, and rob another, etc, but the places you can rob aren't on the map, and are somewhat random. only like 20% of the gas stations have clerks and are enterable. WTF at least make those all robbable. can you do anything to atms somehow? or the cash registers in places you 'can't rob' like clothes stores and hot dog stands?

freeroaming going on robbing sprees is what i want to do the most but the game makes it so difficult! put some banks i can pull amateur jobs at or something, i don't want to just mindlessly shoot people to get cops attention. IIRC in san andreas if you pointed your gun at people they'd drop money often. but in V all they seem to do is fight or flight so i have to kill them instead of just stickin em up

kris.

Banned
Story spoilers!:
Dat mission when Trevor finds out what really happened to Brad. Everything is so well-acted. Dammit I love this game.

Hellcrow

Anyone else getting pop-ups from rockstar social when someone on your friend list does something cool? "Friend has found a treasure under the ocean" and stuff like that.

Gritesh

i really hope when this is released on PC they put in more locations you can go in/rob (i doubt it though)

my biggest disappointment is that i just want to drive around and rob shit nonstop, but all you can rob are convenience stores?? i tried robbing clothes stores, and a medical marijuana place, and couldn't rob either. can you rob ammunations at least? haven't been brave enough to. but seriously i just want to rob a place in one town, drive across the countryside to the next, and rob another, etc, but the places you can rob aren't on the map, and are somewhat random. only like 20% of the gas stations have clerks and are enterable. WTF at least make those all robbable. can you do anything to atms somehow? or the cash registers in places you 'can't rob' like clothes stores and hot dog stands?

freeroaming going on robbing sprees is what i want to do the most but the game makes it so difficult!

You can rob armored trucks, I came up on one parked and the one guy was walking with a bag of money making his way back to the truck, I ran him down took the money and the other truck guys came out guns a blazing, shootout occurred in the middle of the street, I won and robbed the truck too.

kris.

Banned
Anyone else getting pop-ups from rockstar social when someone on your friend list does something cool? "Friend has found a treasure under the ocean" and stuff like that.

Yeah, I've seen a few. Someone screwed up and died in an embarrassing way or something. Can't remember.

Thread is huge, but I remember people saying they were buying the HAL stock that was .78 a share. I bought a lot too... are you guys still doing this? How do we make this price go up?

LET'S GET RICH!

keyrat

Michael + Trevor being reunited

Such great tension in the room. Jimmy nervously looking around. Michael moving Jimmy behind him in case Trevor got violent. Pretty impressive to convey body language like that in a video game.

It was decent until
they decide to go chase the daughter at the talent show auditions. The motivation for such a thing is non-existent. It feels so forced and out of character.

I still think the narrative and motivations for the characters are as bad as they've ever been in this game. Sometimes there's decent one-liners but so much of it just feels forced and dumb.

• The way Franklin just shows up to Michael's house again after their first encounter and it's fine.
  • The way Michael takes down the house and is now on the hook to a notorious mobster, getting him back into the game.
  • Wade and his cousin being such pushovers. The cousin allowing Trevor to hang with him, go to work with him, even though all their encounters are over the top abrasive.

There's plenty more. If you put any of this stuff in a movie and it would be laughable.

Grisby

I finally hooked up that damn thing to the helicopter. Goddamn what a pain in the ass those controls are.

On a more curious note, when do I get to go scuba diving for treasure?

anddo0

Yet another SC feature that doesn't work in my game. :/
I had no idea that was there.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
So nobody else lost Chop (or care about Chop)? If I can't get him back, I'll start a new game and watch him more closely (I'm less than 5 hours in, so it's not THAT bad...), but if somebody knows a solution to get him back, I'd LOVE to hear it!

You can rob armored trucks, I came up on one parked and the one guy was walking with a bag of money making his way back to the truck, I ran him down took the money and the other truck guys came out guns a blazing, shootout occurred in the middle of the street, I won and robbed the truck too.

yeah those are awesome as they give way more money than sticking up stores. but they're rare. i wish you could find a connect who would drop hints on their locations or something.

Argh, I customized a BF Injection for a desert mission only to have it replaced by a slow ass 4 door sedan, and now I can't find it. It's not at the house and it's not at the impound lot. :/

Derrick01

Banned
The social club site is actually pretty cool when it's working. There's a lot of detailed info and breakdowns that you can't get in the game itself, at least not easily from what I could tell. Like it has the full monetary breakdown that each member of my crew got from the first heist. After the mission it only said how much the playable characters were getting.

I notice it also tells you more details about the mission objectives for medals. Or any details I guess is more accurate since the game doesn't tell you at all.

Coiote

My PS3 copy finally arrived. I installed the game and turned the console off. Now, when I turn the console on again, the disc drive isn't loading anymore. I can insert any blu-ray, the clock on the top of the screen keeps spinning, but the game just doesn't load.

Did anyone have this problem before? How did you solve it? :(

Great :|

has anyone found a way to open the safes in the back of convenience stores yet

can you do it with c4 or are they just decoration.

also jerry cans are hilarious. great feature.

Rembrandt

Banned
Taking selfies is such a great feature, but it's a shame Rockstar ruined it by not allowing you to save them locally. what a dumbass idea.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I wish they would have brought back the drug dealing from Chinatown Wars. That's the most fun way to make money in any GTA game. They really should take that aspect of Chinatown Wars and adapt it for a big mainline GTA game. This game appears to be missing a good way of making quick money. Drug dealing would have been the obvious answer to that.

acm2000

game was really slow to get going up until the
jewellery store robbery
, big issue for me is that Franklin is just such a dull character :/

uh so i found this 'impotent rage' guy outside a comic store

he just ranted about being excited and nothing was happening, so i punched him thinking that's what i needed to do

i think he died and nothing happened. WTF was up with that? what was supposed to happen there?

Derrick01

Banned
Another great feature of the website is it tells you a more accurate summary of how much is in the game. If you look in game at the 100% checklist it only tells you how much of each you need to get 100%. Like you need 14 random events but there's actually close to (number tagged just in case)
random events in the game, you just need any 14 to count towards 100%. Same thing with the hobbies, strangers and miscellaneous stuff, there's more than the 100% checklist shows.

ekim

So I ordered a bike online and it said they delivered it tony garage. I can't find it there though. Where is it? (I checked both garages)

I wish they would have brought back the drug dealing from Chinatown Wars. That's the most fun way to make money in any GTA game. They really should take that aspect of Chinatown Wars and adapt it for a big mainline GTA game. This game appears to be missing a good way of making quick money. Drug dealing would have been the obvious answer to that.

the way of losing wanted stars was the best as well. it was so fun ramming cop cars off the road instead of just pissing them off more in the 3d games

Moozo

uh so i found this 'impotent rage' guy outside a comic store

he just ranted about being excited and nothing was happening, so i punched him thinking that's what i needed to do

i think he died and nothing happened. WTF was up with that? what was supposed to happen there?

Nothing, there's a few weirdos knocking about who you can just talk to like that. There's a hippy by the pier is the other one I've found

TheIconizer

Neo Member
I'm not really the big GTA player, but I really like this one. I usually got bored of previous titles, but this one seems really fun so far.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Another great feature of the website is it tells you a more accurate summary of how much is in the game. If you look in game at the 100% checklist it only tells you how much of each you need to get 100%. Like you need 14 random events but there's actually close to (number tagged just in case)
random events in the game, you just need any 14 to count towards 100%. Same thing with the hobbies, strangers and miscellaneous stuff, there's more than the 100% checklist shows.

This is fantastic news.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
the way of losing wanted stars was the best as well. it was so fun ramming cop cars off the road instead of just pissing them off more in the 3d games

I think that method of losing the police fit for that game, but I wouldn't want a main 3D GTA to do that. I think the wanted system in GTA V is the way going forward. Easily the best wanted system in the series I think.

Derrick01

Banned
This is fantastic news.

Yeah it is, I was actually somewhat let down when I first looked at the 100% list in the game and saw how few strangers, miscellaneous and random stuff there were and after 8-10 hours I already had around 50% of each filled out. For such a massive game I thought that was too little.

Also if you want you can highlight each activity/stranger/random event on the site and it'll tell you what they are. I didn't do that for more than a couple since I want to find it all myself for now.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone [minor Trevor "Switch-To" spoilers and reference to Franklin's story]
Found Trevor standing outside Franklin's old residence taking notes? How about switching to Trevor when he wakes up next to Floyd, who is curled up in a foetal position, crying?

Hilarious!

It was decent until
they decide to go chase the daughter at the talent show auditions. The motivation for such a thing is non-existent. It feels so forced and out of character.

I still think the narrative and motivations for the characters are as bad as they've ever been in this game. Sometimes there's decent one-liners but so much of it just feels forced and dumb.

• The way Franklin just shows up to Michael's house again after their first encounter and it's fine.
  • The way Michael takes down the house and is now on the hook to a notorious mobster, getting him back into the game.
  • Wade and his cousin being such pushovers. The cousin allowing Trevor to hang with him, go to work with him, even though all their encounters are over the top abrasive.

There's plenty more. If you put any of this stuff in a movie and it would be laughable.

I agree with most of this. Rockstar has gotten a lot better at telling stories within the open world environment, but they're not quite there yet. There are some pretty big leaps in the storytelling, but they're mostly forgiveable due to everything else going on. The story is fun and entertaining, and that's about all that's expected of these game for now. Although I think they missed some big opportunities here. But it's still an improvement over past Rockstar games, and hopefully they'll continue to improve.

That said, the characters in this game are great. A huge step up from GTA4, where I really only liked Little Jacob and maybe Packie. I liked the three protagonists in this game than any other GTA protags, with the possible exception of Tommy due to the Liotta factor.

Is it possible to get Chop back if you lose him? I had a bug where I couldn't tell him to go back to the house (pressing the button wasn't doing anything), so I just saved and turned the game off. When I played last night, Chop wasn't in the backyard anymore...

I tried searching on Google, and couldn't find anything. I'm seriously considering restarting a new game from scratch if Chop is lost forever... :(

I had the same thing happen and thought I had lost Chop for good too. He eventually came back so don't start a new game.

When I came back the next day he was there....

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I had the same thing happen and thought I had lost Chop for good too. He eventually came back so don't start a new game.

When I came back the next day he was there....

THANK YOU.

This was seriously obsessing me. I was searching on Google for an answer instead of working. I might be thinking about the game a bit too much...! :)

So, as Trevor, once I've been emailed a bounty, how do I find them? It says the first one is at the quarry but there's no map marker. Should I just worry about it once I've found the quarry?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Story spoilers!:
Dat mission when Trevor finds out what really happened to Brad. Everything is so well-acted. Dammit I love this game.

The interesting thing in this part is:
when the shit hit the fan, and there were a couple of nervous shots at each other, before Trevor goes through the gate leaving Michael to the Chinese, I'm pretty sure I heard an audible *click* from Trevor, while Michael did fire off a shot, making it apparent he wanted Michael to kill him without guilt of murdering him in cold blood, but in killing him in a rigged Duel.

THANK YOU.

This was seriously obsessing me. I was searching on Google for an answer instead of working. I might be thinking about the game a bit too much...! :)

No problem, It bugged me all day yesterday too and I also searched and searched to no avail...

I got home, fired up the game and headed to Franklin's house and there he was leaving more piles of shit in the backyard ;)

I agree with most of this. Rockstar has gotten a lot better at telling stories within the open world environment, but they're not quite there yet. There are some pretty big leaps in the storytelling, but they're mostly forgiveable due to everything else going on. The story is fun and entertaining, and that's about all that's expected of these game for now. Although I think they missed some big opportunities here. But it's still an improvement over past Rockstar games, and hopefully they'll continue to improve.

That said, the characters in this game are great. A huge step up from GTA4, where I really only liked Little Jacob and maybe Packie. I liked the three protagonists in this game than any other GTA protags, with the possible exception of Tommy due to the Liotta factor.

Yea I agree that the characters are better than IV, but not close to Red Dead.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Playing this so my much It got me wanting to watch Collateral. So I'm watching it and I love it.

Recomend it to anyone that wants to watch a good GTA like movie

inky

The freegans site is hilarious.

There was a thread on here a while back about dumpster diving that really blurs the lines of parody.

Do not post videos of the story spoilers or make posts about story spoilers and then put a video from said game or another game to make your point known.

Some people, like me, use their phones to browse GAF and we can see the first image on that video! It is not just an URL.

cdkee

Banned
So there was an NPR piece on Morning Edition about the shocking news that females enjoy GTA as well! Their saying that you get "points for groping strippers" only shows an extremely antiquated view of games. To focus on strip clubs and ignore everything else about the game is extremely stupid. I'm going HAM in the comment section on these "holier than thou" pseudo intellectual commenters.

image-1.jpg

My Franklin and his sweet ride. Still haven't managed to get a custom plate to go through however.

ill pour one out because that sweet ride is gonna disappear soon randomly someday :(

So what are y'all's favorite cars so far?

I really dig the jaguar looking convertible that was one of the choices at the very beginning of the game.

that convertible top animation is so good.

Top Bottom