• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Linius

I wish they would have brought back the drug dealing from Chinatown Wars. That's the most fun way to make money in any GTA game. They really should take that aspect of Chinatown Wars and adapt it for a big mainline GTA game. This game appears to be missing a good way of making quick money. Drug dealing would have been the obvious answer to that.

Oh yes, that was sweet. Loved Chinatown on my DS :p

Zeliard

I like the touch with Trevor where you can't take Jimmy out for drinks or to a strip club when you two hang out, and if you pass by a bar (none are highlighted on the map), Jimmy will ask to go in and Trevor rebukes him and says "not on my watch."

A man of great moral fortitude.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Thought it would be awesome to post this.

1173707_707135832636876_427294794_n.jpg
Oh, so Trevor IS a hipster.

So are people playing the 360 version noticing huge differences between streaming from the disc and installing to a flash drive?

I realize installing to the HDD isn't even an option but is it worth grabbing a flash drive for this?

Neiteio

I like the touch with Trevor where you can't take Jimmy out for drinks or to a strip club when you two hang out, and if you pass by a bar (none are highlighted on the map), Jimmy will ask to go in and Trevor rebukes him and says "not on my watch."

A man of great moral fortitude.
Ha! That's hilarious!

Hey, speaking of maps, how come Michael's house is not appearing on my map? I'm at the point where I can go to see Lester.

GQman2121

Banned
Nearly 30 hours played thus far and I'm still finding new ways to be surprised.

Last night I start a Franklin mission and somehow end up with Trevor washing up on a beach and having to climb a mountain to get back to the city.

0_0.jpg

It was a fantastic mission that has a minor optional portion near it's conclusion that you hear on the radio not long after.

After switching back to Franklin I decided to take the Bugatti north of the city to see just how fast it is (very) in open space. I knew I was close to where I had previously dropped off a stranger I had picked up named, Ursula, and that she had given me her number, so I gave her call. She picks up, tells me where to meet her and we go back to her place. Time shifts forward as it does for many of the missions and I walk out of her front door in the morning.

There's a set of stairs where my car is parked that leads down to a tiny dock facing a lighthouse. It was overcast and had just started raining, so the waves were picking up. With the way the water was crashing and the lighting it almost looked photo realistic. Look at this shit......

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

Grimsen

as long as you have one on usb/one on hdd you're fine. but if you look up the read speeds, HDD is faster. it's a smaller margin than disc < usb, but it is what it is, there is a minor speed increase.

Is there a confirmation that the data that requires the fastest access speed is on the play disk?

Rockstar might have already thought of that and put that data on the install disk.

Thanks for the sunglasses responses. I've completed the first Heist and now have access to all the characters... I've been shoping at the high end suit store and not seen any glasses in the display cases. I will check other stores / Ammu-Nation as you've all mentioned.
Every one of the shops (except Ponsonbys) has a rack (sometimes two!) that you can approach.
There is my problem.

So.. running into an issue.

Start game from the XMB, game loads up to the splash screen that says "Loading Story Mode" and thats it.

Not music, doesn't change splash screens. The little icon is sitting there spinning saying "Loading Story Mode".

Great.

Enco

They need to make a Thriller/Mystery Expansion DLC. If you do not agree, you need to take a chopper ride over Alamo Sea late in mid day with only the ingame music playing. It is haunting and majestic and amazing and it makes me feel all sorts of things.

I want some weird, eerie semi-supernatural expansion that just full of suspense and creepiness and kookie shit.
Whenever I drive through secluded/posh areas I think of how awesome a serial killer DLC would be.

They need to make a Thriller/Mystery Expansion DLC. If you do not agree, you need to take a chopper ride over Alamo Sea late in mid day with only the ingame music playing. It is haunting and majestic and amazing and it makes me feel all sorts of things.

I want some weird, eerie semi-supernatural expansion that just full of suspense and creepiness and kookie shit.

That'd be great. I'd absolutely love that. There's stuff with Mt Chiliad, right?

The issues with the Social Club do have me a bit worried for when GTA Online drops in 10 days. They have such ridiculous sales that I don't know if they have enough infrastructure to keep up... If this were published by Microsoft or Sony, sure, but does Take2 really have enough purchasing power to ramp up the server load for the millions of copies of the game?

I think they'll have it figured out eventually, but when this doesn't work on Oct 1 and people run into tons of errors, the game is going to get lambasted.

Hoping they can get it working by then. Although I don't remember there being lots of issues with GTAIV online and that was some 5 years ago.

SHIT. Random Mission spoiler:
I come across a chick next to the highway with a crashed car next to her. I won't tell you her story, but she's hurt. So I'm taking her where she needs to go and she's telling me her story, but I get there and there's still dialogue. So I do doughnuts for a bit and she finishes. I drive the 10 yards to the marker, but by the time I get there she fucking dies in my passenger seat.

I'm pretty sure I missed out on a crew member because of that.

Dennis

Banned
The IQ and lack of AA is pretty jarring on my eyes at times but it is 720p and it's not possible to find a better looking and more detailed open world game on 360/ps3. The framerate is mostly 25fps when you're doing very active things but again with the detail and graphics they crammed in to the ps3 it's amazing it runs at all. The environments in Just Cause 2 looked amazing but you have to remember just how repetitive everything in that game was. All the villages looked the same, the people looked hideous, the cars were very low detail.

This isn't the case in GTA 5. It seems like every single building in the game is unique, even a place like Burger Shot which has multiple locations each one is a bit different than the other. The level of detail on the streets and buildings is off the charts. If you're an immersion junky you're not going to find a game world that sucks you in more than this.

The lighting is also some next level shit, many times it almost makes the game look like an early next gen game. Textures are hit and miss. Sometimes you'll find one in a random place that looks pretty bad but 90% of the time it's serviceable considering the age of the hardware and the size of this game.

It's a really impressive achievement on consoles.

Thanks for the (mostly positive) impressions.

The issues with the Social Club do have me a bit worried for when GTA Online drops in 10 days. They have such ridiculous sales that I don't know if they have enough infrastructure to keep up... If this were published by Microsoft or Sony, sure, but does Take2 really have enough purchasing power to ramp up the server load for the millions of copies of the game?

I think they'll have it figured out eventually, but when this doesn't work on Oct 1 and people run into tons of errors, the game is going to get lambasted.

Hoping they can get it working by then. Although I don't remember there being lots of issues with GTAIV online and that was some 5 years ago.

Honestly I expect the online to be an unplayable mess when it launches.

My (mostly ignorant) thoughts on the matter are that maybe they're having niggling server issues now because they're busting ass making sure everything is perfect for GTAO launch. Also, to the bold: never had any issues with RDR either.

This is a different beast, to be sure, but I have faith in R*. Maybe not for the first couple days, but relatively speaking (we'll need to remember this is still a current gen game), GTAO will live up to the hype, I think.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So yeah... I highly recommend NOT using alternate controls on the PS3.

I prefer shooting on PS3 with L1/R1 and when I got this game, first thing I did was switch to alternate. Huge mistake.

Game is way less clunky if you keep it on default. If you have "fire weapon" on R2, you can actually press it halfway and run around with your weapon raised. This makes a massive difference in combat.

Wish I knew this sooner!

I was ragging on the game for being too clunky... but it's actually fine as long as you're not using alternate. (imo)

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Whenever I drive through secluded/posh areas I think of how awesome a serial killer DLC would be.

It would be amazing if they made an expansion playing off bad slasher/suspense movies with a female lead, for once, lots of eerie music and bizarre missions to investigate shit and crazy characters to meet and help as you unravel the mysteries of Blaine County. You could be a reporter or journalist looking into something, even big foot or the cult and shit just starts to go downhill. It would be great if they gave it an Undead Nightmare feel to it, but not so extreme, just a bit more off than the usual GTA, enough to set it apart from the "reality" of the series.

That'd be great. I'd absolutely love that. There's stuff with Mt Chiliad, right?

Yup, I like to go East to West across Alamo Sea and then under/over the bridge and along the river to the ocean is amazing. As well, skillfully ascending and descending Mt Chiliad or Mt Josiah, or any of the map really, and hugging the ground while panning the camera just right is so fantastic.

i'm guessing i'm about a third of the way through
just did the mission for the fib guy where mike has to escape the hospital
but here's a couple things i wanted to see but sadly/weirdly are missing:

-police missions/looking up criminals on the cop computers. i guess trevor's bounty thing is kind of a replacement but eh.

-burglaries a la san andreas. i understand that they may be small time compared to bank heists and shit but they were fun and would've worked well with the better stealth mechanics in v.

-cluckin bell/burger shot/enterable restaurants.

-more weapons. i like v's selection a lot better than iv's and the customization is great but why no katana, chainsaw, brass knuckles, revolver or flamethrower?

Dreaver

Wow gold medal at the Helicopter course at the Flight School is impossible. I got gold at all plane challengers at first try. But helicopter is fucking impossible. I need 2.40 and my best (second) try is 3.09. Did anyone manage to get gold there?

So.. running into an issue.

Start game from the XMB, game loads up to the splash screen that says "Loading Story Mode" and thats it.

Not music, doesn't change splash screens. The little icon is sitting there spinning saying "Loading Story Mode".

Great.

Fixed!

Booted into Safe Mode, Restored PS3 FIle System. Took about 5 minutes.

It looks like somewhere along the line the game files and/or my save game were corrupted.

Loaded right into my save so I am golden now.

Anyone else feel that the driving is perfect for an open world game?

I think they found the EXACT middle ground that serves both people who loved and hated driving in IV.

As a fan of IV's driving, I think turning and breaking could be a bit more demanding, but I'll take the compromise. Driving is ace.

Evolved1

Wow gold medal at the Helicopter course at the Flight School is impossible. I got gold at all plane challengers at first try. But helicopter is fucking impossible. I need 2.40 and my best (second) try is 3.09. Did anyone manage to get gold there?

I'm going to try choppers with the motion sensor... wondering if that will help. Just thought of it a few mins ago (forgot there was motion sensor support). The damn things are just too squirrely!

I got 2:45 on the first one for a silver after several attempts, and that felt like luck. And with the highest flight skill. I can't do it either. No problem with the planes.

edit: What's the best way to make money in this game? Any stock tips? Mission Spoilers
not counting the assassination missions

edit 2: Also can you pick a response to e-mail replies, it says you can but I've only ever seen one response?

Evolved1

It's good... but if i'm being totally honest, i'd prefer more simulation, less arcade.
edit* also, i think the motorcycles are a bit disappointing in V...

I think the motorcycles are pretty decent, but the dirtbike and ATV are hugely disappointing. Too stiff and weird, and the player doesn't lean into turns or shift his weight around at all.

I thought ATVs would be a fun thing to race in GTAOnline, but they actually kinda suck... too bad.

sappyday

I'm currently on the mission
where you have to buy masks for a heist and im franklin but I don't have enough money right now for all of them so my question is can we wear the masks outside of the mission and can I come back later to buy the rest.

Derrick01

Banned
i'm guessing i'm about a third of the way through
just did the mission for the fib guy where mike has to escape the hospital
but here's a couple things i wanted to see but sadly/weirdly are missing:

-police missions/looking up criminals on the cop computers. i guess trevor's bounty thing is kind of a replacement but eh.

-burglaries a la san andreas. i understand that they may be small time compared to bank heists and shit but they were fun and would've worked well with the better stealth mechanics in v.

I really miss these two as well. I could have sworn I remember reading that home invasions were coming back a long time ago but maybe it was eventually cut.

Branson said:
Anyone else feel that the driving is perfect for an open world game?

Yeah it took me a few hours to get used to it and it felt really weird at first, but I love it now. I'm already really great at it and it's a huge improvement over the cars-on-ice feeling from IV.

So is it worth it to do those Strangers & Freaks missions? Those are the side quests, right?

Or is there other stuff to do? Where do you guys find these "random missions"?

Yawnier

Banned
For gaffers who are a fair bit into the game already, I have a question about one of the main characters in concern to the story (I think I'm about 5 or so hours in right now, but I spent a bit of that just messing and driving around).

(anyways question)
When do you get to play as Trevor? I just finished that Paparazzo mission as Franklin and the Michael mission where you infiltrate the Lifeinvader building to rig the phone to give a rough idea where I am right now.

i dont get bounty missions.... why did they give me a google map image. how would i recognize this topography :/

And how do you bring people in unharmed? Is there a stun gun or lasso or something?

Top Bottom