• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

i witnessed a barber shop get robbed, but i only killed one of the guys that bailed the car and the car got away (it wasn't a blip on the radar). is there a reward or event that happens if you kill all the robbers?

Anyone seen this?

0_0.jpg

Is that part of the collectables? Clues or something?

(mat)

I've been playing this for a little. It's enjoyable, but I'm still not used to any of the gun controls.

Wish I had more time in my day to play.

joe2187

Banned
Poor floyd. Trevor is just torturing the dude.

Everytime I go to his house it's becomes more and more depraved, poor dude was curled up on his bed in the fetal position wearing his girlfriends pajamas and sobbing incoherently.

BraXzy

After playing for quite a bit I feel like something isn't quite right about the game. You don't have a lot of freedom in what you do. Sure you can go golfing, or rob a convenience store. But you can't go rob a bank in free roam, or get a golf club out on top of a mountain top and try and hit people with a golf ball. And there are a lot of buildings that can't be entered, I suppose that is a current gen problem.

Besides that the only other thing that I dislike is the flight controls, especially the damn helicopter controls. Who called Mr. Wobbles?

1 Billion sales in THREE DAYS.

THAT'S INSANE.

That's the revenue dude; they have NOT sold a billion copies there are not enough consoles for that.

After playing for quite a bit I feel like something isn't quite right about the game. You don't have a lot of freedom in what you do. Sure you can go golfing, or rob a convenience store. But you can't go rob a bank in free roam, or get a golf club out on top of a mountain top and try and hit people with a golf ball. And there are a lot of buildings that can't be entered, I suppose that is a current gen problem.

Besides that the only other thing that I dislike is the flight controls, especially the damn helicopter controls. Who called Mr. Wobbles?

I haven't played it yet but this will make or break the game for me.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Do not post videos of the story spoilers or make posts about story spoilers and then put a video from said game or another game to make your point known.

Some people, like me, use their phones to browse GAF and we can see the first image on that video! It is not just an URL.

Changed it just for you and your inadequate browser.

joe2187

Banned
Wow these random events are pretty cool.

Just took a trip to go hunting, go to the spot and find it unavailable until a certain time, but here this long honking noise coming from the forest.

I go to investigate and I find these two guys crawling on the ground, one of them is dragging his leg and moaning and between them is a silver briefcase I go up to the guy and he warns me not to touch the breifcase because its cursed, but I take it anyway because he's bleeding out and he says "Thats it...you're a dead man" then they both die. I go further up the hill towards the honking sound and I found a area that is littered with bodies and dead bodies of dogs and people like they were in the middle of a mexican standoff that went really bad. surrounded by vehicles that were all shot up.

fucking awesome, got $23000 out of it.!

GPsych

Ugh. Bought this game on PSN and played about 15 minutes of it. I was super impressed with the very beginning only to be soul shattered when my PS3 beeped a couple times and shut off with the red light blinking. I restarted the game and the same thing happened again after 5 minutes. Tried one more time with the same effect.

Weirdly, other games are working fine. Only GTA 5 is doing it. Any advice? It's a 60gb launch PS3 if that helps.

I believe it is install disc on hdd, play disc on usb or in disc tray

yeah that's the common misconception. the play disc is accessed more so you want it on the fastest reading device. which is the hdd.....then the install on the usb as that's the 2nd fastest. disc is the slowest.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBfUZTVkdWs

Wow, didn't know you could see the whole map in GTA IV. Makes you realize how astonishing GTA V's map is.

Man, GTA IV really looks like absolute crap compared to V. And the city looks (and is) so damn boring compared to what we get here.

You can pretty much see the entire map in V too though, as long as you get high up. No matter where you are, as long as there are no mountains blocking the view, you can see LS far off in the distance. But yes, the scale is so much greater here. I don't ever want a city-only GTA again.

Neiteio

Well, I just started playing this yesterday. Michael and Franklin
tore down the gangster's house
and we're in deep shit now. :)

I originally wasn't planning to get this game until the PC version came out, but reading about the random encounters and attention to detail, I couldn't resist a new Rockstar world. So I picked up the PS3 version and went in with guarded expectations, since I didn't particularly like GTAIV. Thankfully, this game does NOT disappoint.

First off, the framerate is stable so far. It slows down a bit in Michael's neck of the woods, but it's still a stable sub-30 there and perfectly playable. Everywhere else, it's a solid 30 fps (so far). The image quality is surprisingly CRISP. Minimal pop-up so far. No screen-tearing. Striking solidity to everything, with wonderfully expressive characters and fine texture detail and colors that make everything POP. The lighting is amazing, particularly the sky at dusk or dawn. The game looks amazing.

Then there's the setting. Los Santos and Blaine County are orders of magnitude more interesting than Liberty City. The world of GTAV is denser in detail, richer in culture, with more colorful architecture. You have more colorful characters, too -- hippies, hipsters, fitness freaks, adrenaline junkies, celebrities, paparazzi, etc. Everyone's a character in this world, which has a superficial veneer of "living the dream" or chasing it fruitlessly, but still feels less hollow than the empty existence of Liberty City, even if it -is- just as cynical. The world of GTAV just has more soul.

Mechanically, it's still not entirely intuitive, but a definite step up from GTAIV. There's generous auto-assist when aiming, snapping the reticule to the nearest threat as soon as you draw your weapon. I assume this can be disabled or circumvented, but I must admit, I rather like it: I play a game like this for the experience, and being able to instantly lock onto a cop in a chopper the moment I draw my weapon is deliciously empowering.

And the three-character setup is great. I haven't met Trevor yet, but between Michael and Franklin, I find myself inhabiting their characters and living in the world rather than destroying it, although as Michael I will occasionally hijack cars and start altercations in the street. I find myself role-playing the characters, playing as I think the characters would.

For example, one night as Michael, when he was distressed by his wife, I caught a movie by myself (which was amazing in its own right -- a full-blown foreign film!), then continued to support the local economy by patronizing the local prostitutes. As I left the hooker, I witnessed someone steal a person's bike, so I chased him in my stolen car all the way down the west coast, halfway up the map, all unexplored territory, finally catching up to him on two flat tires and shooting him from my car. I then took the bike and tried to find my way back to the owner, but drove into oncoming traffic and wound up in a hospital. Upon leaving the hospital, I figured Michael would be a bit moody, so I shot a few rounds into a gas truck, "bleeding it out," then shot the spilt fuel to blow up the truck. I hijacked the fire truck that came racing to the rescue, and led police on a slow-speed chase back to Los Santos... at which point I high-tailed it into some marshlands, shooting cops out of choppers while hiding beneath trees in knee-deep water. In the end, they got me, but man... What a night. It seems plausible that Michael, who I otherwise play straight, would occasionally indulge his inner animal and let loose like this.

That's why I'm looking forward to Trevor. Once I get him, I'll have no qualms about rampaging through the city all the time. He's meant to be as deplorable as can be, eliminating any and all cognitive dissonance one may typically experience with a GTA massacre. This is why the three character setup is so great, in addition to switching mid-mission for variety, and skipping around the overworld for an episodic "quick warp" approach.

Oh, and the missions are excellent. As others have noted, these early missions have more variety than all of the missions in GTAIV combined. Some particularly inspired moments remind me of "fulminated mercury" in Breaking Bad. And the characters here are so well-done. None of them are particularly admirable, but Franklin means well and Michael has a certain warmth to him as he tries to go straight but struggles with the fact he's a thrill-seeker who felt most alive on the other side of the law.

So yeah, I'm REALLY digging GTAV so far. Great game! :)

Man, GTA IV really looks like absolute crap compared to this one. And the city looks (and is) so damn boring compared to what we get in V.

You can pretty much see the entire map in V too though, as long as you get high up. No matter where you are, as long as there are no mountains blocking the view, you can see LS far off in the distance. But yes, the scale is so much greater here. I don't ever want a city-only GTA again.

GTA 4 was a tech demo compared to 5.

taylor910

yeah that's the common misconception. the play disc is accessed more so you want it on the fastest reading device. which is the hdd.....then the install on the usb as that's the 2nd fastest. disc is the slowest.

Not sure it would be considered a common misconception, since that is the way Rockstar recommended in an official statement.

Out of curiosity, do you have a link to where you read your way is the best way to install?

why do i see people on youtube struggling with driving/shooting when they are using franklin?

shooting while driving is much easier when you activate his slowdown while doing it

Not sure it would be considered a common misconception, since that is the way Rockstar recommended in an official statement.

Out of curiosity, do you have a link to where you read your way is the best way to install?

when did they say that? all i heard them say is not to install the play disc to HDD. that's bc the game is designed to read from 2 sources at once. hence you want the most accessed data on the fastest drive. which is the HDD. and the 2ndary data on the 2nd fastest drive. which is the usb. people heard 'don't install play disc to hdd' in the wrong context. all they meant was you shouldn't have both pieces on one device. as for a link, research how fast the 3 drives read data. hdd is the fastest, disc slowest.

JRW

Can anyone tell me which USB flash drive they're using if they're NOT having any trouble with it? (Xbox 360).

I bought a 16GB Sandisk Cruzer Glide (usb 2.0) and the texture lag / pop in during the intro video is even worse than before, also I got a warning message after formatting the drive saying it didn't meet performance requirements.

Thanks.

Can anyone tell me which USB flash drive they're using if they're NOT having any trouble with it? (Xbox 360).

I bought a 16GB Sandisk Cruzer Glide (usb 2.0) and the texture lag / pop in during the intro video is even worse than before, also it gave me a warning after formatting the drive saying it didn't meet performance requirements.

Thanks.

Buy a Lexar 16 or 32 GB USB. Have that thing for years and it meets the performance requirements.

I am not playing GTA V on the 360, though. Just in case you wanna ask any questions about it.

pringles

I've been playing this for a little. It's enjoyable, but I'm still not used to any of the gun controls.
Have you turned off the auto-aim/lock-on? I find the shooting infinitely more enjoyable with free aim.

I know what you mean but that's asking a bit much imo. It's still insane how much content they've crammed into this game and how much you can do. I'd also wait for GTA Online before judging how much freedom there is.

As for the helicopter controls the first-person camera pretty much solved my issues. I only switch to outside views when landing.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Trevor missions are awesome so far. Are there any missions where the Atomic Blimp is helpful, or is it mostly just for fucking around and sightseeing?

Can i make a new game without it overriding my current save games?

There are 15 available save slots + the auto save, so I'd imagine, yes, you can. Go to your existing game and manually save it from your bed or phone, then start a new game and manually save it from your bed or phone.. Should be fine.

Sojgat

Now I'm just confused as what to do, it will take like 40 minutes to swap.

Is there actually any noticable performance difference?

taylor910

when did they say that? all i heard them say is not to install the play disc to HDD. that's bc the game is designed to read from 2 sources at once. hence you want the most accessed data on the fastest drive. which is the HDD. and the 2ndary data on the 2nd fastest drive. which is the usb. people heard 'don't install play disc to hdd' in the wrong context. all they meant was you shouldn't have both pieces on one device. as for a link, research how fast the 3 drives read data. hdd is the fastest, disc slowest.

It's on Rockstars official support page.

Your method is not listed. That's why I asked where you read about it, I haven't seen anything about that method being the optimal way until you mentioned it here.

I bought a 16GB Sandisk Cruzer Glide (usb 2.0) and the texture lag / pop in during the intro video is even worse than before, also I got a warning message after formatting the drive saying it didn't meet performance requirements.

Thanks.

I bought this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Y8C0H4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

$16, USB 3.0, 100MB/s read rates. It's also got good build quality, with a brushed rigid casing that feels more like a metal or aluminum. It's nice.

newsguy

I noticed in the stats page that there are like 30 or 32 random events. Does anyone know if once I've done them all they will reset or will random events just disappear?

Now I'm just confused as what to do, it will take like 40 minutes to swap.

Is there actually any noticable performance difference?

as long as you have one on usb/one on hdd you're fine. but if you look up the read speeds, HDD is faster. it's a smaller margin than disc < usb, but it is what it is, there is a minor speed increase.

Hahaha.

At the windmill park, random event;

Two nephews having sex with each other in their caravan, seeing the whole thing bouncing up and down and then being spotted by you.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
They need to make a Thriller/Mystery Expansion DLC. If you do not agree, you need to take a chopper ride over Alamo Sea late in mid day with only the ingame music playing. It is haunting and majestic and amazing and it makes me feel all sorts of things.

I want some weird, eerie semi-supernatural expansion that just full of suspense and creepiness and kookie shit.

Buy a Lexar 16 or 32 GB USB. Have that thing for years and it meets the performance requirements.

I am not playing GTA V on the 360, though. Just in case you wanna ask any questions about it.

I found a 16GB Lexar at "Big Lots" for $9.88, I read earlier in the thread that a minimum 15mbs READ rate is suggested.

I installed the Play disc to the USB and the Install disc to the HDD.

I may switch it around tonight and see if I notice a difference (as mentioned above).

But as long as it is a 15mbs read rate you should be fine, XBOX is only USB 2.0 so it really won't matter if USB 3.0 or 2.0

Top Bottom