• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

Heimbeck

Banned
Really enjoying the game, probably my GOTG but one thing concerning me is

The heists, there are not that many considering it was played up a lot.
I haven't finished it yet but I must be close, I'm about 30 hours into the game.

Megasoum

Banned
So there's something more to it than just the little extra money for bringing people to the cult right? That thing is very far! haha

Edit: NVM lol

Alienous

Really enjoying the game, probably my GOTG but one thing concerning me is

The heists, there are not that many considering it was played up a lot.
I haven't finished it yet but I must be close, I'm about 30 hours into the game.

They are the major flaw of the game, for me.

Such good potential, even with a limited number of them. But some of them are really just missions in disguise, as you have fairly little choice. The meta-game of gaining improvements is mostly worthless. All-in-all, I would say that only half of them I would consider good examples. The first, the last, and maybe the fifth.

GQman2121

Banned
You guys think they may make expansions for the game but that will be only available for the PS4 and Xbox1? I mean it would make sense. Release higher quality graphics,physics, but keep the same city and just add to it.

I can see the next gen versions arriving at the exact same time. So say six months from now the expansions for current gen are released and the complete package is released on PS4/XBO.

ButchCat

I don't know what's happening. Yesterday I was loving it but now it's staring to stale. I'm about half way through. I think I'm already starting to realize the flaws.

Heimbeck

Banned
They are the major flaw of the game, for me.

Such good potential, even with a limited number of them. But some of them are really just missions in disguise, as you have fairly little choice. The meta-game of gaining improvements is mostly worthless. All-in-all, I would say that only half of them I would consider good examples. The first, the last, and maybe the fifth.

Really liked the first and second but I haven't finished it yet so.

Picked up a hitchhiker who wanted to surprise her Boyfriend...
I took her to the Altruistic Cult instead.
I was so conflicted because the dialogue with her in the car made me want to see the outcome

Teknoman

He does awful things... but a lot of stuff is implicit, part of his rampages, his rantings, and when you swap to him and the character scene/animation plays.

He's... kinda creepy. But my God, he's magnetic. In another life, he'd be a cult leader.

Only because if you got involved with him or just happened to have something he wanted...you'd have to give it to him due to being afraid of the consequences.

Megasoum

Banned
I was so conflicted because the dialogue with her in the car made me want to see the outcome

Hah yeah, that's the one I just did...Had a great outcome when I got to the cult tho

Madness

My real gripe with this game is the shooting while driving mechanics and their new wanted system.

I like the fact it's now line of sight and cones and the fact that the cops are on the lookout for someone similar so you can't just re-emerge in front of them.

I was in the middle of nowhere some lake no roads or traffic and I used a suppressor pistol to take out a couple deer, and bam a wanted level. These cops started to surround the area from afar and just I was stuck in the zone. Drove through water and mud and emerged somewhere else and it became a two star wanted level somehow and yet they can't see where I am or even drive to me.

How can they encourage exploration and world building with stupid mechanics like this. I mean they can make it more realistic, send out a cop with flashing lights have him check out the area, make him suspicious of you etc. And if you run bam. Like if I'm on the top of Mount Chiliad, I melee a guy to death, how does that give me a wanted level?

I understand they don't want to give free rein without repercussions, but maybe have like a message go out like, a man's wife reported a hiker missing on Mount Chiliad, a hiker reported a black male wearing timberlands in the area, officers coming to search locate and like you have to leave the area, build up suspicion or something.

But meh, just my gripe. Also it takes way too long for the stars to go away. It's not even fun anymore. It was fun to evade the cops or bring them on a pursuit and if you were good enough evaded their circle and made it. Now, you have to get out on foot, pick some alley and pray the cop with the cone doesn't get you in the millimeter of space etc.

Zukuu

Banned

She gets there and he
gets mad at you because he thinks you're that "i forgot the name". You pucnh / shoot him. She cries. Nothing else.

antitrop

If you mean the torture scene then I agree, after I finished I couldn't see why so many are angry about it.
I think it falls completely flat as an intended political commentary, but the whole scene itself is fairly tame.

I've seen some of the Saw movies and Hostel. This was nothing.

does GTAV make (some) PS3s noisy as hell like TLoU..? i havent bought the game yet and i'm worried...

tell me your experiences with noise levels fellow PS3 owners, please, this is important! :)

anddo0

I've made more money skydiving than my last 8 missions combined. It pays a pretty decent amount, around $350-$500 each run.

On my way back from skydriving. I decided to ride my bike along the beach to my next destination. So I'm riding near a wooded area when a random mission pops up. It turns out two guys were trying to
bury a girl alive.
I sprung into action and killed the two thugs, and
saved the girl. She then ask me to try her to Vinewood (we were near Sandy Shores). Long story short. On the way she explains she's the daughter of a mobster, and those two guys were trying to kill her to get back at her father. Anyway, I drop her off, and she promises that I'd be looked after. I watched her being drove away by one of her fathers men. I then get a phone call a few moments later from the girl I had just saved. She told me thanks, and wired 60k to my account
. This game nails the little things. Too bad RSC is holding back.

SlickVic

RDR has taught me that whenever there's a random encounter in a R* game of someone asking me to follow them somewhere to help,
it's a set up unless proven otherwise. Looks like the tradition continues in GTA V

Zukuu

Banned
Wanna know the best way to escape from the cops? BMX bike. It's sooo goooooood.

I really like the new cop system. I was driving away from then and stopped under a bridge I was just on. They all were driving straight above me down the street and lost me eventually. So good.

antitrop

RDR has taught me that whenever there's a random encounter in a R* game of someone asking me to follow them somewhere to help,
it's a set up unless proven otherwise. Looks like the tradition continues in GTA V

They got me the first time, early on in the game when I was pretty unarmed.

I got my revenge.

Heimbeck

Banned
I think it falls completely flat as an intended political commentary, but the whole scene itself is fairly tame.

I've seen some of the Saw movies and Hostel. This was nothing.

Yeah for me it just felt like another mission.

Everything in Saw is crap though.

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah ok I can confirm that it's really worth it to bring hitchikers to the Cult camp lol..

Once you get the "special event" make sure to explore around the camp...there's a bunch of suitcases with 25 000$ each in it.

EGOMON

is it me or this game has really low sound, i mean i need to crank up my sound system 10 degree more than normal for average output especially car sounds even with radio off

Things that need to be added in GTAV through a (miracle) patch:

- Injuring/disarming a la RDR (if I shoot a purse snatcher in the leg, he shouldn't get up and immediately sprint 30 mph)
- Shoulder switching from MP3
- Prone from MP3
- Crouching from every game ever

I was surprised those weren't in.

ButchCat

does GTAV make (some) PS3s noisy as hell like TLoU..? i havent bought the game yet and i'm worried...

tell me your experiences with noise levels fellow PS3 owners, please, this is important! :)

If you're talking about slim then yes there is noise but it's bearable and happens from time to time. It's much less noisy than RDR.

Megasoum

Banned
Wait I'm having a brain fart... how do you detonate sticky bombs?

And also, second heist question...
How do you actually start the heist? I got the chopper and the submarine but there's no other missions on the map

leng jai

I'm surprised the early impressions and reviews didn't mention how clunky the controls still are. They're better than IV but that was 5 years ago and right now they're still way behind modern games. It's really not close to Max Payne 3 at all and I think I actually preferred the gunplay in RDR.

Zukuu

Banned
Wait I'm having a brain fart... how do you detonate sticky bombs?

And also, second heist question...
How do you actually start the heist? I got the chopper and the submarine but there's no other missions on the map

Push < on the D-Pad.

I think it has a normal starting point. Maybe advance the mission for the other characters as well? Can't remember too clearly tho.

Spent the last two hours tooling around on the mountains on a dirt bike while trying to "unlock" more of the map and it wasn't even boring! This game is so good.

Also noticed that when my dirtbike got banged up pretty bad it starting pouring oil out of the motor and leaving a trail behind me. So I parked it, followed the trail back a little ways, and shot it with my pistol to cause a fire trail that went all the way to the bike causing it to burst into flames. Then the tire popped and it fell over.

So much detail!

God I hate the internet sometimes. It started with an innocent googling to find that one pic with the voice cast all together, and then I thought it'd be interesting to read some of the tweets the voice actors have been doing with the fanbase. ENORMOUS SPOILER INCOMING
and I see someone casually tweet Trevor's voice actor, Steven Ogg, "I still feel bad about killing you off in GTA V! I'm sorry Trev! ;)"

Boiling, seething rage at seeing that one, and I'm not even that far in the game for fucks sake so of course I'm gonna just be anticipating and dreading the moment when it comes, thus disarming whatever impact it may have had on me not knowing going in. Note to self: stay the hell away from any tweets related to GTA.

Acrylic7

So I just bought a $1,000,000 car because I got tired of getting caught by the stupid fucking police.
A mission automatically starts and I'm forced to get into another car. Now my car has apparently vanished.

Insanely fucking irritating. Just got finished customizing the fuck out of it.

Yup, I was already
pulling out my gun when they lead me back behind a house.

I didn't know it was coming, stayed away from the news. I was very nearly unwell. Horrific scene.

It's pretty awful, but it's definitely got a somewhat silly vibe to it. Rockstar has done genuinely horrifying torture/killing in Manhunt; if they wanted it to be like that, they could've gone that route.

Robot Pants

So I just bought a $1,000,000 car because I got tired of getting caught by the stupid fucking police.
A mission automatically starts and I'm forced to get into another car. Now my car has apparently vanished.

Insanely fucking irritating. Just got finished customizing the fuck out of it.
Impound lot

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody here is using the Sony Pulse Elite headphones?

The GTA5 profile doesn't seem to work... I have zero pulses and zero surround when I use it...

If I switch to "Game" I suddenly get a ton of pulses and somewhat less crappy surround (still kinda crappy)...

Zukuu

Banned
Time to assign every character an officially, unofficial radio station:

Mciheal: Wild Rock
Franklin: West Coast Classics
Trevor: Channel X

Top Bottom