• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V |OT2| <Title available for purchase>

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Current analog sticks are not nearly sensitive enough.
You may know more than me about it, but all I know is there's plenty of games that did analog movement extremely well. What situations are you thinking of where that couldn't be applied?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Holy fuck! I just started the
submarine mission (Im assuming the first?)
and I cannot fathom how incredible it looks
underwater with the sun beaming down.
. This game is a graphical masterpiece!!!

You haven't gone swimming at the beach with the sun and waves yet?

Yea, you can see the wave pass while underwater.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Is this the best water in any game yet? and this from an open world game, unbelievable.

Alienous

Extra animations take extra memory.

Most analog movement slows the animation down. That said, more animations would only require more memory if they were being played at the same time, I would imagine.

You may know more than me about it, but all I know is there's plenty of games that did analog movement extremely well. What situations are you thinking of where that couldn't be applied?

I, on the other hand, can't think of any. Particularly in a third person shooter.

I really want proper recoil for guns. I'm free-firing with an Uzi and killing people at distances like lightning. It just feels off, and I feel dirty.

And I freaking love that Trevor is a
bisexual
Canadian
KuGsj.gif

His Rampage missions are fun mostly for the dialogue. Love that they brought them back all the way from GTA 1.

Sn4ke_911

Well, yeah, but I noticed the framerate goes completely in the shitter as soon as you're in the water.

Never had a problem with it, the only time i really noticed it was at that one sub mission, besides that it was ok.

This game is visually stunning. I came back from LA on vacation on release date, it's like re-living my holiday! The attention to detail is amazing!

Edit: with more guns etc

GQman2121

Banned
I love this game so damn much, but goddamn I can't help but feel they could've made the third person controls so much easier and simpler...

Tapping X to sprint is fine, but why do I have to hold X to jog? Stop, it's annoying. So many other third person games get it right, just let walking/jogging be up to the sensitivity of the analog sticks.

And I feel like the shooting while taking cover is clunky for no reason...I guess part of that comes from having to hold X to jog, ugh. Maybe the next one.

The average person who plays games cannot ease into an analog stick like those of us who play regularly. It's either centered or full speed ahead. It's the reason why sports games still have speed burst buttons.

What the game needs (ALL GAMES) is customizable controls.

wizzbang

Banned
Here's a fucking sweet feature. I did an auto cloud save on my phone in the game, in the submersible - it was 2am last night, I was tired - only 10 of them found.

I woke up this morning and booted the game and it loaded me not to a safehouse but back to the fucking submersible. I would never have bothered doing the rest of that mission had it not loaded me back in to exactly where I was. Fucking great (3 more things to find)

That line between Michael and Trevor when
they're going to get Lester to prepare the bank's heist..."Trevor...you're a hipster !". Made 10 times funnier by completing the 5th carnage beforehand.

I burst out laughing.
I can't save my pictures in the camera, due to failed connection with Social Club. Anyone else?

Me too. Rockstar SC servers are getting hamered harder than NeoGAF's during E3 I suppose.

Eyothrie

If I didn't really care for GTA IV (didn't like the gameplay mechanics or main character), is this one better? I'm intrigued, but I'm undecided

Just pulled up to a mission with Trevor, walked out taking control of Michael.

Trevor gets back in the Optimus Prime type Lorry Cabin and as he pulls off honks the horn like a mad mother fucker.

Fuck, the details in this game are insane, lol

dalVlatko

I was driving around with Michael when a random mission popped and
a woman said her friend was being beaten up by her boyfriend. She took me around back and I got ambushed by three guys so I went into bullet time and took them out. I look around and find her hiding so I shoot her too.

I got a one star wanted level but it immediately just started flashing so I just went into sneak mode and tried to wait it out. I looked at my map and saw two police cars approach the area and slowly creep up to my location. I thought I was clear when they passed the house I was hiding behind but instead they stopped, got out, and searched for me with their weapons drawn. They saw me so I started running away and got into my car. It took a long time to start, but I managed to drive away before they unloaded on me. My wanted level went up to two stars and I ended up having a really cool car chase for a few minutes.

I wasn't sure about the new wanted system but I really appreciate it after this.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Wow, when Trevor has to take his
hostage girlfriend
back home, and that Chicago song is playing on the radio, lololololol.

Couldn't agree more. It's ridiculous. I want to have some fun when I get drunk. Do some drink driving. Things sg back to normal before I even have time to make it to my car. Getting drunk should last a good few minutes at least. As it is it lasts a matter of seconds.

I think it lasts a little longer if you going drinking on a "hangout" but it's still pretty short.

Jex

I feel the wanted time is just right honestly. I enjoy the thrill of feeling until I'm out of sight, and then either changing a vehicle to staying hidden somewhere in cover just waiting for the alert to go off. Probably the best wanted system so far in GTA.

Yeah it's pretty great. It basically feels like it was taken right out of that scene at the start of Drive.

Ugh, despite the fact that they added a "combat jog" when you fire a shot allowing you to run and gun, if you don't fire for like 5 seconds the character goes right back to walking, even in the heat of combat. Why the hell did they keep this in? If I'm holding a weapon, I should be at jogging speed all the time. Rockstar should've just completely copied the Max Payne 3 mechanics into this game minus shoot dodging. The crosshair was better, the combat rolls were better, the cover system was tighter, and you didn't gotdamn WALK DURING COMBAT.

Hold to jog + tap to sprint + enemies pouring in from all directions + fragile characters + no damage direction indicator + ultra magnetic cover system + no health items + slow health regeneration + bad crosshairs on the pistol and submachine guns = ROCKSTAR WHY

Fjordson

I was just driving around as Franklin in his neighborhood and saw a guy running into an alley with a spotlight on him and a helicopter chasing him. Every once in a while he would stop and fire a few shots up at the helicopter and then keep running :lol

The world feels so much more alive than Liberty City to me. Pedestrians can potentially do so much more independent of the player.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Ugh, despite the fact that they added a "combat jog" when you fire a shot allowing you to run and gun, if you don't fire for like 5 seconds the character goes right back to walking, even in the heat of combat. Why the hell did they keep this in? If I'm holding a weapon, I should be at jogging speed all the time. Rockstar should've just completely copied the Max Payne 3 mechanics into this game minus shoot dodging. The crosshair was better, the combat rolls were better, the cover system was tighter, and you didn't gotdamn WALK DURING COMBAT.

Hold to jog + tap to sprint + enemies pouring in from all directions + fragile characters + no damage direction indicator + ultra magnetic cover system + no health items + slow health regeneration + bad crosshairs on the pistol + submachine guns = ROCKSTAR WHY

Are you on PS3? Do not use alternate control scheme. If you keep aim/shoot on the triggers, you can hold R2 down halfway and it allows you to jog with just the analog. It makes combat a lot more intuitive (though still a bit clunky, just not nearly as bad). You can also do combat rolls easily while R2 is half-pressed.

I can understand why people wouldn't like Trevor, but personally, I think he's the best GTA character ever. He consistently makes me laugh and I have enjoyed every one of his missions. I do bad things when I play as him.

I can understand why people wouldn't like Trevor, but personally, I think he's the best GTA character ever. He consistently makes me laugh and I have enjoyed every one of his missions. I do bad things when I play as him.

He killed someone special in his introduction, that kinda turns me off a little bit. Still like him, though.

Are you on PS3? Do not use alternate control scheme. If you keep aim/shoot on the triggers, you can hold R2 down halfway and it allows you to jog with just the analog. It makes combat a lot more intuitive (though still a bit clunky, just not nearly as bad). You can also do combat rolls easily while R2 is half-pressed.

But shooting with R2 is so bad :(

And yes I have those clip on trigger things. It still feels awful. I can't wait to be rid of this controller on the PS4.

Zukuu

Banned
Are you on PS3? Do not use alternate control scheme. If you keep aim/shoot on the triggers, you can hold R2 down halfway and it allows you to jog with just the analog. It makes combat a lot more intuitive (though still a bit clunky, just not nearly as bad).

I play with alternative and do just fine.

Sn4ke_911

I totally agree, all the other main characters in the GTA series are boring compared to this guy.

Top Bottom